The T2K Experiment - Where is the anti-matter?

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The T2K Experiment - Where is the anti-matter?

#1  Postby grrow » May 01, 2010 11:48 am

From the beginning of 2010, the T2K experiment will fire a beam of muon-neutrinos from Tokai on Japan's east coast, 300km accross the country to a detector at Kamioka. It hopes to investigate the phenomenon of "neutrino oscillations" by looking for "muon neutrinos" oscillating into "electron neutrinos".
A million pound detector has been built at the University of Warwick as part of a vital experiment to investigate fundamental particles - neutrinos. The experiment aims to measure neutrinos at the start of their journey and then again at the end 300 kilometres away to see how they've changed. Understanding neutrinos will tell us more about the physics of the universe and help explain why the universe is made of matter rather than anti-matter. http://www.makeahistory.com/index.php/your-details/335-the-t2k-experiment-from-tokai-to-kamioka-where-is-the-anti-matter
grrow

Croatia (hr)
Print view this post

Re: The T2K Experiment - Where is the anti-matter?

#2  Postby Paul1 » May 02, 2010 8:27 pm

Is no one starting to think that the whole standard model is a crazy story? It seems so complicated.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Darkchilde » May 03, 2010 10:59 am

Paul1 wrote:Is no one starting to think that the whole standard model is a crazy story? It seems so complicated.

Crazy or not, it has a lot of evidence that up to now it is correct.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Nautilidae » May 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Paul1 wrote:Is no one starting to think that the whole standard model is a crazy story? It seems so complicated.

No. What makes you say that?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby twistor59 » May 03, 2010 2:37 pm

LOL @ the SM Lagrangian !

Now I remember why I didn't become a particle physicist.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby klazmon » May 04, 2010 4:35 am

grrow wrote:From the beginning of 2010, the T2K experiment will fire a beam of muon-neutrinos from Tokai on Japan's east coast, 300km accross the country to a detector at Kamioka. It hopes to investigate the phenomenon of "neutrino oscillations" by looking for "muon neutrinos" oscillating into "electron neutrinos".

I recall a few years back where one of the photomultiplier tubes at Super Kamiokande blew up and started a cascade that took out thousands of them. I believe it is fully restored as Super K III, which I presume is the "far" detector they are talking about above. The cool thing is that way back in 1987 they were able to detect neutrinos from Supernova 1987A. Will be interesting to see what additional info they find on neutrino oscillations.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Physics