Earth's Population to Reach 11 Billion by 2100...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Earth's Population to Reach 11 Billion by 2100...

#1  Postby Alan B » Sep 19, 2014 10:30 am

Earth Population
Even more Earth Population

The world's population may keep on increasing for the rest of this century. This will lead to a great challenge for food supplies, social cohesion and healthcare.

According to an analysis, there is a 70 percent chance that the population on Earth will continue rising from 7 billion presently to 11 billion in 2100.

The analysis overturns 20 years of consensus that the population of the world and the problem it brings will reach its peak by 2050 at 9 billion people.

Another important factor was included in the analysis for the first time. According to new data, HIV/AIDS is not claiming as many lives as it was being anticipated. "Twenty years ago the impact on population was absolutely gigantic. Now the accessibility of antiretroviral drugs is much greater and the epidemic appeared to have passed its peak and was not quite as bad as was feared." Raftery said.

Soylent Green, anyone?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Earth's Population to Reach 11 Billion by 2100...

#2  Postby tuco » Sep 19, 2014 11:18 am

Hmm no, just green. There is no reasonable figure for how many humans can the Earth hold and feed in 2100.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » Sep 19, 2014 11:57 am

Perhaps not. But the 'quality of life' (an ephemeral phrase, I know) surely will not keep in step with an increasing population.
AGW will be more pronounced, for instance, and if the trigger point is reached for an unsustainable temperature rise (as some alarmists predict - maybe sometime this century), then there could be a massive die-back for the human population as well as 'life as we know it' on this planet. :dunno:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Sep 19, 2014 12:09 pm

We've had similar debates before. For example here, here and here. Why do you think that quality of life will surely not keep up? Sure, if we take current conditions and apply them to future population growth*, it gets scary as the thesis of ecological footprint puts it - if everyone lived like me we would need X planets Earth. There is no way to tell, however, how we will live in 100 years from now.

edit:* or rather the other way around.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby kennyc » Sep 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Nasty shit. We're going to (maybe already are) die in our own filth if we don't do something. The fate of all organisms that exploit their environment beyond its abilities. :(

Humanity is a virus on planet Earth.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby kennyc » Sep 19, 2014 1:31 pm

tuco wrote:We've had similar debates before. For example here, here and here. Why do you think that quality of life will surely not keep up? Sure, if we take current conditions and apply them to future population growth*, it gets scary as the thesis of ecological footprint puts it - if everyone lived like me we would need X planets Earth. There is no way to tell, however, how we will live in 100 years from now.

edit:* or rather the other way around.

Because we are already suffering due to overpopulation. The direction is set. The result is clear. There are limits. Technology and science cannot always save us.

Die early, avoid the rush. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thorham » Sep 19, 2014 1:35 pm

kennyc wrote:Humanity is a virus on planet Earth.

Yep, we're parasites alright. We take and destroy. House flies are more useful to nature then we are.
Thorham

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#8  Postby tuco » Sep 19, 2014 1:37 pm

As I have said before (in the links provided I think) overpopulation is defined as population exceeding capabilities of the environment it lives in. In other words, the total number of individuals in population is just one variable determining whether capabilities are exceeded or not. If we are overpopulated, we do not use resources available well. This can change.
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby scott1328 » Sep 19, 2014 1:44 pm

That's too many fucking people. and vice versa.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Alan B » Sep 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Yep. I think the emphasis is on the 'fucking'.

We should somehow find something to 'put in the water' to limit fertility.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 19, 2014 2:04 pm

It does not bother me as I wont be around to see it.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Sep 19, 2014 2:07 pm

I repeat, the emphasis is not on fucking but on use of resources available. The Earth could be overpopulated with a single human on it. That's fact. Well, ok not single but two humans.
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby Thorham » Sep 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:It does not bother me as I wont be around to see it.

The empathy is great in this one!
Thorham

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Thorham wrote:
kennyc wrote:Humanity is a virus on planet Earth.

Yep, we're parasites alright. We take and destroy. House flies are more useful to nature then we are.

Entirely agree with that. If humanity dies out then humanity dies out.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Sendraks » Sep 19, 2014 2:38 pm

tuco wrote:As I have said before (in the links provided I think) overpopulation is defined as population exceeding capabilities of the environment it lives in. In other words, the total number of individuals in population is just one variable determining whether capabilities are exceeded or not. If we are overpopulated, we do not use resources available well. This can change.

:this:

We already produce enough as a species to feed, clothe and house everyone on the planet.
If we didn't waste our resources on shite and actually looked to the future to ensure that our growing populations were sustainable, we wouldn't be looking at this figure as an issue.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs