Apologetics and the Problem of the William Lane Craig Clones

Randal Rauser Blogpost

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Apologetics and the Problem of the William Lane Craig Clones

#1  Postby Spinozasgalt » Feb 07, 2015 9:35 am

Randal Rauser wrote:There can be no doubt that William Lane Craig is an outstanding apologist. He is, first of all, an academic who has made a significant contribution to scholarship. (Craig’s scholarly output speaks for itself, including two earned doctorates from leading universities, dozens of journal articles in the top journals in philosophy, and several academic books.)

Perhaps even more importantly, Craig has a great demeanor for the rough-and-tumble of apologetic exchange. I have been impressed on many occasions by Craig’s unflagging ability to engage politely with people who can occasionally be rude, condescending, and downright hostile.

Finally, Craig is an excellent communicator. Sure, he sometimes comes off as a bit machine-like, but who else can succinctly present five arguments for God’s existence inside of twenty minutes, and do so with not a word wasted?

Continued here...
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Apologetics and the Problem of the William Lane Craig Clones

#2  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 07, 2015 10:24 am

Except that apologetics is horseshit from start to finish. It's the fine art of pretending that made up shit equals evidence.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby campermon » Feb 07, 2015 10:32 am

Calilasseia wrote:Except that apologetics is horseshit from start to finish. It's the fine art of pretending that made up shit equals evidence.

Indeed.

I saw him debate Sean Carroll a while ago, where he tried to challenge Carroll on physics. A bad move on WLC's part - he had his ass handed to him!!

Not sure if this is the one;

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Feb 07, 2015 10:33 am

Is Craig an excellent communicator? I once heard someone comment on him that non-mathematicians find his mathematical explanations excellent, non-physicists find his physical presentations excellent and non-historians find his history presentations excellent or something similar.

Experts in each area generally find that what he says is subtly misleading and it seems that people who know an area from listening to Craig (we used to have more posters dogmatically defending points he'd made than we get nowadays) generally know almost nothing about the points they are discussing and are misinformed about key elements.

I think his oration skills are excellent, nobody does scorn and ridicule as well as him, but I'm not convinced that he's actually communicating well.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby Spinozasgalt » Feb 07, 2015 11:01 am

I don't know if Rauser's positive words there are essential to his point. Taking a dim view of Craig's work would only seem to make the circumstances more dire for apologists who repeat his mistakes and the need for creativity and invention more deeply felt, if you follow Rauser on the rest of it.

Then again, looking at some of the atheists that seem to be Craig's counterparts doesn't really inspire me either. :shifty:

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Nicko » Feb 07, 2015 11:21 am

Thommo wrote:I think his oration skills are excellent ... but I'm not convinced that he's actually communicating well.

This is, of course, the crux of the matter.

Craig is an excellent orator. The skill of oratory can indeed be used to effectively communicate; it can also be used to effectively obfuscate.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thommo » Feb 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:I don't know if Rauser's positive words there are essential to his point. Taking a dim view of Craig's work would only seem to make the circumstances more dire for apologists who repeat his mistakes and the need for creativity and invention more deeply felt, if you follow Rauser on the rest of it.

Then again, looking at some of the atheists that seem to be Craig's counterparts doesn't really inspire me either. :shifty:

I mostly agree, my only objection is to the word "need". We need better apologists like we need better global climate change deniers. Yeah, their arguments are mostly shit. Yeah, they mostly regurgitate talking points picked up and recycled endlessly. No, it wouldn't be a whole lot better if they were more original and creative.

I feel largely the same about professionals at counterapologetics, although to be fair there aren't really that many. Frankly philosophers of religion and their pale shadow apologists should all go and do something more useful or interesting, like moral philosophy (preferably secular).
Thommo

Print view this post

#8  Postby Goldenmane » Feb 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Kraig has spent enormous energy getting good at debating.

Which is utterly not the same as anything else that it is routinely held up as exemplar of.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#9  Postby John Platko » Feb 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Nicko wrote:
Thommo wrote:I think his oration skills are excellent ... but I'm not convinced that he's actually communicating well.

Craig is an excellent orator. The skill of oratory can indeed be used to effectively communicate; it can also be used to effectively obfuscate.

Craig effectively communicated to me why some wanted Socrates to drink the cool-aid.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Nicko » Feb 07, 2015 2:23 pm

John Platko wrote:
Nicko wrote:

Craig effectively communicated to me why some wanted Socrates to drink the cool-aid.

Oratory can, of course, also be used to ineffectively obfuscate.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby hackenslash » Feb 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Platko knows this. His tenure here has essentially been practising doing that in text form. ;)
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 07, 2015 4:03 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
Randal Rauser wrote:There can be no doubt that William Lane Craig is an outstanding apologist.

Translation:
He is an experienced public speaker who manages to fool a lot of people.
Randal Rauser wrote:He is, first of all, an academic

Unprotected and therefore meaningless term.

Randal Rauser wrote: who has made a significant contribution to scholarship.

Again a vague and meaningless term.
Translation: He's written a lot of crap.

Randal Rauser wrote: (Craig’s scholarly output speaks for itself

Indeed. It's fallacious and quite often disengenuous.

Randal Rauser wrote:including two earned doctorates from leading universities,

What kind of doctorates? Define 'leading' universities.

Randal Rauser wrote: dozens of journal articles in the top journals in philosophy, and several academic books.)

Again with the deliberately vague claims.

Randal Rauser wrote:Perhaps even more importantly, Craig has a great demeanor for the rough-and-tumble of apologetic exchange.

Translation: He's a smug and condescending bastard.

Randal Rauser wrote:I have been impressed on many occasions by Craig’s unflagging ability to engage politely with people who can occasionally be rude, condescending, and downright hostile.

If by polite you mean: deliberately ignoring criticism, fabricating his interlocutors positions and making things up wholesale.

Randal Rauser wrote:Finally, Craig is an excellent communicator

Only in the sense that he manages to convince people of fallacious positions and twisted charicatures of his interlocutors.

Randal Rauser wrote:Sure, he sometimes comes off as a bit machine-like, but who else can succinctly present five arguments for God’s existence inside of twenty minutes, and do so with not a word wasted?

Except that he does waste a lot of words, impressive sounding deepities mainly.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 07, 2015 4:07 pm

Some of the comments:

I here this line a lot and think it's wishful thinking. The problem is that Craig has contributed substantially to the literature in philosophy of religion at the highest levels. On some topics such as the kalam cosmological argument his work places him as one of the leading experts in the world. Given debating techniques dont apply in this context your thesis seems unlikely. On issues such as God and time and the kalam few professional philosophers would match him on content alone.

The Kagan debate was different because the topic was God and Morality. Craig actually has published nothing on this issue and has no background in ethics outside of popular lectures its an area on which Craig is particularly weak. Kagan by contrast is one of the most prominent value theorists in the world. If the debate had been a written debate between Kagan and say Robert Adams or John Hare or Tom Carson it would have been different and if the topic had been the Kalam Craig would have beaten Kagan hands down.

Many of Craigs opponents suffer from a delusional arrogance. They assume thesim is so obviously stupid that they can take on a world class philosopher who has been studying these issues for decades and the first objection that comes into there head will be a decisive one Craig has never heard of and wont be able to deal with. Thats just delusional. Its like me going into a debate with grahan oppy thinking that I can defend the ontological argument of the top of my head. Given Oppy is a world class athesit philosopher who has written one of the definitive books on that topic that would be stupid.

:picard:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby hackenslash » Feb 07, 2015 4:09 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

I should point out that, under one of the vernacular definitions of 'academic', the term describes Kalamity Fuckwit perfectly.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 07, 2015 4:30 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

I should point out that, under one of the vernacular definitions of 'academic', the term describes Kalamity Fuckwit perfectly.

:lol:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Shrunk » Feb 07, 2015 4:54 pm

I wonder if this is typical of the reputation Craig enjoys among his colleagues in the field of philosophy.

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Spinozasgalt » Feb 08, 2015 12:34 am

Thommo wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:I don't know if Rauser's positive words there are essential to his point. Taking a dim view of Craig's work would only seem to make the circumstances more dire for apologists who repeat his mistakes and the need for creativity and invention more deeply felt, if you follow Rauser on the rest of it.

I mostly agree, my only objection is to the word "need". We need better apologists like we need better global climate change deniers. Yeah, their arguments are mostly shit. Yeah, they mostly regurgitate talking points picked up and recycled endlessly. No, it wouldn't be a whole lot better if they were more original and creative.

I suppose the need is felt more by other Christians. Quite a few seem to want that the argumentative richness that they perceive their Christianity to be capable of be better represented by apologists. I also suspect that some of those less inclined toward apologetics have a vague hope that more diversity might help to balance out the combative stance that quite a few religionists and atheists take to each other. Then I suppose there are also those that see creativity and invention as a way to transform apologetics into something other than apologetics.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby hackenslash » Feb 08, 2015 12:48 am

None of which bodes well for apologetics.

Much like the lying, weaselly waste of oxygen himself, really. Were I given to violence, he'd already be dead, such is the depth of my loathing of the lying sack of shit. I don't usually waste emotional investment in people I dislike, but this twat's on a par with Pol Pot, Hitler and the other genocides. Worse, in some ways, he apologises for such cunts. When confronted by such horrid individuals, one can begin to see a glimmer of the mindset that produces suicide bombers.

What a contemptible, loathsome little worm. Apologies to worms, I know some lovely ones.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby John Platko » Feb 08, 2015 1:40 am

hackenslash wrote:Platko knows this. His tenure here has essentially been practising doing that in text form. ;)

Ahhhh, that's sweet :heart:! I do my best to be an ineffective obfuscator. :cheers:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby TopCat » Feb 08, 2015 5:25 pm

hackenslash wrote:,,,Were I given to violence, he'd already be dead, such is the depth of my loathing of the lying sack of shit....this twat's on a par with Pol Pot, Hitler and the other genocides. Worse, in some ways, he apologises for such cunts.

Tut, tut, mincing your words again...

Begs the question, though, is truth the most important thing? I've been wondering recently; maybe it is for some and not for others. I haven't really formulated the question yet, nor thought it through, but I can feel a thread coming on.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity