Re: Game of Thrones

#3781  Postby WayOfTheDodo » May 02, 2016 10:49 am

Agrippina wrote:My comments on episode 2:
1) we knew about
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Jon Snow rising from the dead.
That was inevitable. Now does he go back to being
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Lord Commander of the Wall, or does he take his wilding army and sort out that rotten bastard Bolton?)

Wouldn't that be a waste of time? I'm pretty sure he knows what the real threat is at the moment (the White Walkers).

3) A bit silly making Arya blind then not

What do you mean? Isn't she still blind?
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#3782  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 02, 2016 10:56 am

Animavore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
:nod:
There's no reason he couldn't just have had their throats slit or hell, even heads chopped off.
To go through this elaborate death by vicious dogs serves no purpose but to further make him irredeemable character to get audience stoked for his death.

I was thinking what would be more effective, and more like Martin, if it cut when Ramsey asked for them. It could've been mentioned later by an enemy, like a rumour you didn't know if it was true, that he'd fed them to the dogs.

Good point.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3783  Postby Spinozasgalt » May 02, 2016 11:10 am

I quite liked the Bolton overthrow. It felt procedural, because it was bound to happen and no one is surprised that nothing turns the character from the full brutality of it. But when Ramsay stuck a knife into Roose, all I could do was think back to last season when Sansa (despite being otherwise powerless at the time) toyed with Ramsay's fears about the baby. Voila! There goes the voice of restraint and opportunism in the Bolton cause. It's the sort of move you'd expect from Littlefinger.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3784  Postby Agrippina » May 02, 2016 11:30 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
1) we knew about
[Reveal] Spoiler:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Lord Commander of the Wall, or does he take his wilding army and sort out that rotten bastard Bolton?)

Wouldn't that be a waste of time? I'm pretty sure he knows what the real threat is at the moment (the White Walkers).

The guys who are there for him are talking of "going south" not out to hunt for those guys. That will come later, I think. I just want someone to kill that little piece of excuse for a human.

Didn't whatisname tell her he was going to take it away now? Along with giving her food and clean clothes.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3785  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 02, 2016 11:31 am

Agrippina wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
1) we knew about
[Reveal] Spoiler:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The guys who are there for him are talking of "going south" not out to hunt for those guys. That will come later, I think. I just want someone to kill that little piece of excuse for a human.

Didn't whatisname tell her he was going to take it away now? Along with giving her food and clean clothes.

If a girl told the man her name.
Wich she did not.
All he said afterwards was to come with the man and that the girl would not be a beggar any more.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3786  Postby Shrunk » May 02, 2016 11:33 am

I've belatedly started watching this series and am half way thru Season 1. Great stuff. And I will now henceforth excuse myself from this thread.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3787  Postby Agrippina » May 02, 2016 11:35 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
3) A bit silly making Arya blind then not, what was the purpose. She should kill that piece of work girl.

The purpose was to physically represent the repercussions of wearing a facemask while keeping your own identity.

OK I see that.
Still I want her out of there. After she's cut that witch's throat! :nono:

Agrippina wrote:
5) That monk. Cersei needs to get her giant to kill them all. I don't understand why the Lannisters are so impotent.

I both hate and love this character. I hate him for his smugness and blindness to his own hypocricy vis a vis his claims to humbleness while at the same time presuming to speak for the gods and judge other sinners.
I love the character because he manages to evoke such strong emotions in me.[/quote]
I'm such a softie. I want happy endings. A happy ending to me would be for something vile and horrible to happen to that self-righteous nun. I want Arya to find Gendry and have a happy ending with him.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3788  Postby Agrippina » May 02, 2016 11:36 am

Shrunk wrote:I've belatedly started watching this series and am half way thru Season 1. Great stuff. And I will now henceforth excuse myself from this thread.

I hope you're loving it. I watched the whole thing from start to finish before this new season. It's the best ever TV show.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3789  Postby Agrippina » May 02, 2016 11:38 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
1) we knew about
[Reveal] Spoiler:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Wich she did not.
All he said afterwards was to come with the man and that the girl would not be a beggar any more.

Wasn't that what he wanted? That she should say she has no name?
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3790  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 02, 2016 11:39 am

Agrippina wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Wich she did not.

Yes, but the promises of food, shelter and eyes were made to a girl who would tell the man her name.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3791  Postby Adrinius » May 02, 2016 2:42 pm

I'm glad Jon is back. I was like Marlon for a whole year, though…

ETA: Spoiler.
Last edited by Adrinius on May 02, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. - Arthur C. Clarke
Adrinius

Male

Print view this post

#3792  Postby Agrippina » May 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Wich she did not.

Yes, but the promises of food, shelter and eyes were made to a girl who would tell the man her name.

After three times of telling him she had no name, he told her to leave her begging bowl and to follow him. I think it's implied she'll get her sight back. What does the book say?

In the book series, Arya and Jon Snow, like Bran, are Wargs. While Arya goes blind, she can still see through her Dire wolf. Since this plot was never introduced on the show, I think they are going to have to find other ways for Arya to see or have her vision return.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/103743-will-arya-get-her-vision-back-on-game-of-thrones-6-reasons-why-this-starks-future
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3793  Postby Shrunk » May 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Seems there were some big plot twists this week. Should I just go hide in a cave til this all blows over?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3794  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 02, 2016 6:42 pm

Agrippina wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Wich she did not.

After three times of telling him she had no name, he told her to leave her begging bowl and to follow him. I think it's implied she'll get her sight back.

Of course, but your original post made it seem he promised her food etc. if she told him she had no name. When he was feigning the exact opposite.

Agrippina wrote: What does the book say?

In the book, Arya's story is far more detailed. Tbh I cannot seem to recall how this particular aspect was dealt with.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3795  Postby Adrinius » May 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Shrunk, as a GOT virgin you are in spoiler hell. Lock yourself up and avoid all contact with civilization while you binge watch all five seasons…
The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. - Arthur C. Clarke
Adrinius

Male

Print view this post

#3796  Postby ED209 » May 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:...
Agrippina wrote: What does the book say?

In the book, Arya's story is far more detailed. Tbh I cannot seem to recall how this particular aspect was dealt with.

I think she wargs into an alleycat (the faceless man does not know that she possesses this ability) and, seeing through its eyes, is able to dodge the blows or whatever she is meant to do to pass the test.

Obviously the TV show will be different. But they have already revealed that her sight can be restored, so it's just a matter of how long they drag it out for.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#3797  Postby chairman bill » May 02, 2016 9:32 pm

So Jon Snow is now alive. I was convinced he'd rise from his cremation, not the magic of the Red Woman.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3798  Postby Matthew Shute » May 02, 2016 11:30 pm

Shrunk wrote:I've belatedly started watching this series and am half way thru Season 1. Great stuff. And I will now henceforth excuse myself from this thread.

Good. For the thread is dark and full of spoilers. :nod:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3799  Postby Matthew Shute » May 02, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm going to excuse myself too, since I won't get a chance watch the new episode until tomorrow. :(
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3800  Postby Onyx8 » May 03, 2016 3:58 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
You are being considered for a temporary ban until you have watched the entire series to date.

What say you? Are you committed to catching up or do we have to punish you?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV