President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#4101  Postby Nicko » Feb 15, 2017 8:45 am

Tero wrote:What? Headlines.

Trump knew the Russian connections of Flynn.

Probably part of the reason he was hired. So?

Tero wrote:Election was swung by hacking.

Evidence?

Tero wrote:Impeach Trump.

On what charge?
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4102  Postby lyingcheat » Feb 15, 2017 8:54 am

Donald Trump: Ethics office urges action against Kellyanne Conway for peddling Ivanka Trump products
The US Office of Government Ethics says the White House should consider disciplinary action against presidential adviser Kellyanne Conway for appearing to violate government ethics rules by publicly endorsing Ivanka Trump products.

Federal ethics rules prohibit executive branch employees from using their positions to endorse products.

"There is strong reason to believe that Ms Conway has violated the Standards of Conduct and that disciplinary action is warranted," Office of Government Ethics Director Walter Shaub wrote in the letter.
Stefan Passantino, the White House ethics official named in the letter, declined to comment, and a White House spokesman did not reply to a request for comment.
The US ethics office, however, has little enforcement power.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-15/e ... ay/8272130

How long before she becomes a liability?

I saw a photo of her today attached to some news story that unfortunately I can't re-find and she looks unwell. She still seems to be functional, so maybe I'm projecting, but she has the appearance of someone who is unravelling.
> Insert Witty Signature Phrase Here <
lyingcheat

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4103  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 15, 2017 9:03 am

I've never seen her not look sick, to be honest.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4104  Postby Animavore » Feb 15, 2017 9:06 am

Lol.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4105  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 15, 2017 9:13 am

I'm not really sure how those pictures portray a woman being all googly-eyed. He's speaking and she's looking at him while there's a camera on her. That's exactly what I'd expect to see regardless who she was sitting beside.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4106  Postby Pulsar » Feb 15, 2017 10:43 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/us/politics/russia-intelligence-communications-trump.html?_r=0

Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence

WASHINGTON — Phone records and intercepted calls show that members of Donald J. Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign and other Trump associates had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the election, according to four current and former American officials.

American law enforcement and intelligence agencies intercepted the communications around the same time they were discovering evidence that Russia was trying to disrupt the presidential election by hacking into the Democratic National Committee, three of the officials said. The intelligence agencies then sought to learn whether the Trump campaign was colluding with the Russians on the hacking or other efforts to influence the election.

The officials interviewed in recent weeks said that, so far, they had seen no evidence of such cooperation.

But the intercepts alarmed American intelligence and law enforcement agencies, in part because of the amount of contact that was occurring while Mr. Trump was speaking glowingly about the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin. At one point last summer, Mr. Trump said at a campaign event that he hoped Russian intelligence services had stolen Hillary Clinton’s emails and would make them public.

The officials said the intercepted communications were not limited to Trump campaign officials, and included other associates of Mr. Trump. On the Russian side, the contacts also included members of the government outside of the intelligence services, they said. All of the current and former officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because the continuing investigation is classified.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4107  Postby Pulsar » Feb 15, 2017 10:49 am

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/14/politics/kfile-rand-paul-republican-investigations/index.html

Rand Paul on Flynn: 'Makes no sense' to investigate fellow Republicans

Republican Sen. Rand Paul said Tuesday an investigation into the resignation of former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn would be excessive and it would not make sense to investigate other Republicans.

[...]

"I just don't think it's useful to be doing investigation after investigation, particularly of your own party. We'll never even get started with doing the things we need to do, like repealing Obamacare, if we're spending our whole time having Republicans investigate Republicans. I think it makes no sense."
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4108  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 15, 2017 10:50 am

Then someone unbiased can conduct the investigation.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4109  Postby Alan B » Feb 15, 2017 11:18 am

Independent
Ford, Volkswagen and 16 other car firms urge Donald Trump to cut fuel efficiency target

Eighteen major car companies have written to Donald Trump urging him to overturn a fuel efficiency target set by the Obama administration.

Under the regulation, cars would have to run for 54.5 miles per gallon or better by 2025, saving American motorists $1.7 trillion (£1.4 trillion) in fuel costs over the lifetime of their vehicles — but costing the car industry $200bn over 13 years.

However the election of Mr Trump – who has downplayed the need to cut fossil fuel emissions – clearly represents an opportunity for the motor industry.
Eighteen major car companies have written to Donald Trump urging him to overturn a fuel efficiency target set by the Obama administration.

Under the regulation, cars would have to run for 54.5 miles per gallon or better by 2025, saving American motorists $1.7 trillion (£1.4 trillion) in fuel costs over the lifetime of their vehicles — but costing the car industry $200bn over 13 years.

However the election of Mr Trump – who has downplayed the need to cut fossil fuel emissions – clearly represents an opportunity for the motor industry.

They all know that he's not very bright and that his advisers are anti-AGW. So, it's jumping on the bandwagon time.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4110  Postby Macdoc » Feb 15, 2017 11:26 am

It's not critical ...EV is unstoppable and fuel costs are so low in the US it's a bit of a silly requirement as vehicles will end up less expensive without the regs. Not a line in the sand worth defending. California will force the industry to have high pollution controls.

Coal de-regulation tho ...that's a worry ...but feeling is coal for power generation is done anyways.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4111  Postby THWOTH » Feb 15, 2017 12:26 pm

lyingcheat wrote:
Donald Trump: Ethics office urges action against Kellyanne Conway for peddling Ivanka Trump products
The US Office of Government Ethics says the White House should consider disciplinary action against presidential adviser Kellyanne Conway for appearing to violate government ethics rules by publicly endorsing Ivanka Trump products.

Federal ethics rules prohibit executive branch employees from using their positions to endorse products.

"There is strong reason to believe that Ms Conway has violated the Standards of Conduct and that disciplinary action is warranted," Office of Government Ethics Director Walter Shaub wrote in the letter.
Stefan Passantino, the White House ethics official named in the letter, declined to comment, and a White House spokesman did not reply to a request for comment.
The US ethics office, however, has little enforcement power.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-15/e ... ay/8272130

How long before she becomes a liability?

I saw a photo of her today attached to some news story that unfortunately I can't re-find and she looks unwell. She still seems to be functional, so maybe I'm projecting, but she has the appearance of someone who is unravelling.

As I understanding it the responsibility and authority for slapping Kellyanne's wrist resides with the President. Can't see him doing anything but a token gesture - if that.

That photo may have been chosen because it was unflattering - they're not portraits.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4112  Postby Animavore » Feb 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Two examples of people voting against their interest in my feed today.

Police Officers: “We Didn’t Vote Republican To Get Stabbed In The Back”.

In the highly contentious battle to extinguish public worker rights, Iowa Republicans have attempted a divide-and-conquer approach to pit unions against each other. Their legislation splits public workers into two groups, one that’s “public safety workers,” and one that isn’t. The idea was to strip away nearly all collective bargaining rights from most public employees, but keep most of it for police and firefighters, who are politically more difficult to go after.

It didn’t work.

Hundreds of helmeted firefighters have flooded the Statehouse in the last week and police officers and sheriffs have lined up at committee hearings to speak against it. They don’t trust that this carve-out for their jobs will last long, nor do many of them feel it’s appropriate to deny the bargaining rights they have to fellow workers who have also had them for over 40 years.

And several police officers and firefighters warned that Republicans’ plan to create a special “public safety” class for negotiations wouldn’t work in many cases. John Thomas, a police officer from Mitchellville, explained last week that some sheriff’s deputies wouldn’t get classified as “public safety” workers because there’s more jailers and clerks in the bargaining unit. The Republican bill only classifies workers as “public safety” employees if a majority of workers in a bargaining unit is made up of police or firefighters.

That has many police officer, who voted for Republicans in large numbers this year, particularly upset.

http://iowastartingline.com/2017/02/13/ ... ialnetwork

Donna Coomer raised three children on a minimum-wage job and a lot of prayer.

She thanks God daily that President Trump was elected. Her message to him is simple: Bring back jobs and raise the minimum wage.

"Have you ever tried to live on $7.25 an hour?" Coomer asks. "It was horrible."

Today Coomer, 52, is a grandmother who manages a Valero gas station in Beattyville, Kentucky. It's a small, homey town that earned the unfortunate distinction of being America's "poorest white town" a few years ago.

As a manager, Coomer now earns a bit above the minimum wage. But the rest of her employees are still paid $7.25 an hour. America's federal minimum wage hasn't gone up since 2009, although many states and cities have hiked the wage on their own. Kentucky is not one of those states.

Coomer can feel the pain of the young moms that she employs.

One of them is Melissa Allen, 34. The circles under her eyes speak volumes about her stress. Allen works two jobs -- as a cashier at the Valero station and cleaning tourist cabins in the rolling Kentucky hills. Both jobs pay minimum wage.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/14/news/ec ... d=34480116

So why didn't they vote for the person who explicitly said she'd raise minimum wage? Why vote for the bunch of billionaires who want to do away with pesky things like regulations and minimum wage altogether if they could?

I notice as they want an increase in minimum wage on the one hand, they still cleave to right-wing politics.

The Stewarts pray Trump will raise wages, including the minimum wage. They don't think it should go to $15 because that deters people from getting skills to better themselves, but $9.30 or so could make a difference.

Oh fuck that. Demand what you deserve.

Bit of desperation in the last line.

"Mr. Trump, please take care of us. We're looking to you," she says.

That said, the whole article is a bit like Bart's People.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4113  Postby Tero » Feb 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Dan Rather
"We can all remember the General Michael Flynn's speech from the Republican National Convention — "Lock her up!" in regards to Hillary Clinton. If Hillary Clinton had done one tenth of what Mr. Flynn had done, she likely would be in jail. And it isn't just Mr. Flynn, how far does this go?" Rather wrote in his Facebook post.

The GOP-led Congress should take action and investigate White House officials' assertions, according to Rather, now managing editor for a show on the cable channel AXS.

Lock them up!
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#4114  Postby Nicko » Feb 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Tero wrote:Dan Rather
"We can all remember the General Michael Flynn's speech from the Republican National Convention — "Lock her up!" in regards to Hillary Clinton. If Hillary Clinton had done one tenth of what Mr. Flynn had done, she likely would be in jail. And it isn't just Mr. Flynn, how far does this go?" Rather wrote in his Facebook post.

The GOP-led Congress should take action and investigate White House officials' assertions, according to Rather, now managing editor for a show on the cable channel AXS.

Lock them up!

Again, on what charges?
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4115  Postby scott1328 » Feb 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Animavore wrote:Two examples of people voting against their interest in my feed today.

http://iowastartingline.com/2017/02/13/ ... ialnetwork

Donna Coomer raised three children on a minimum-wage job and a lot of prayer.

She thanks God daily that President Trump was elected. Her message to him is simple: Bring back jobs and raise the minimum wage.

"Have you ever tried to live on $7.25 an hour?" Coomer asks. "It was horrible."

Today Coomer, 52, is a grandmother who manages a Valero gas station in Beattyville, Kentucky. It's a small, homey town that earned the unfortunate distinction of being America's "poorest white town" a few years ago.

As a manager, Coomer now earns a bit above the minimum wage. But the rest of her employees are still paid $7.25 an hour. America's federal minimum wage hasn't gone up since 2009, although many states and cities have hiked the wage on their own. Kentucky is not one of those states.

Coomer can feel the pain of the young moms that she employs.

One of them is Melissa Allen, 34. The circles under her eyes speak volumes about her stress. Allen works two jobs -- as a cashier at the Valero station and cleaning tourist cabins in the rolling Kentucky hills. Both jobs pay minimum wage.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/14/news/ec ... d=34480116

So why didn't they vote for the person who explicitly said she'd raise minimum wage? Why vote for the bunch of billionaires who want to do away with pesky things like regulations and minimum wage altogether if they could?

I notice as they want an increase in minimum wage on the one hand, they still cleave to right-wing politics.

The Stewarts pray Trump will raise wages, including the minimum wage. They don't think it should go to $15 because that deters people from getting skills to better themselves, but $9.30 or so could make a difference.

Bit of desperation in the last line.

"Mr. Trump, please take care of us. We're looking to you," she says.

That said, the whole article is a bit like Bart's People.

The irony is the Governor of Iowa, Terry Branstad, Trump's pick for ambassador to China and perrennial asshole, is pushing to pass a law that repeals all local jurisdiction's minimum wage laws. In other words, places like Des Moines, with a substantially higher cost of living than a small rural Iowa town, can impose a minimum wage higher than the states minimum.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4116  Postby Agrippina » Feb 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Two things, Ivanka lusting after Trudeau, I bet stick-up-the-arse husband wasn't too happy about that.

Second, I'm waiting to see Trump taken away in handcuffs, and the next picture him in an orange jumpsuit. Then my life will be complete.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4117  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 15, 2017 2:37 pm

:lol: Aggie. So would I.

I think Ivanka would willingly give Trudeau a service turn. :smug:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4118  Postby purplerat » Feb 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Animavore wrote:

The demanded what they deserve when they voted for Trump and now they are getting it, as far as I'm concerned.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4119  Postby Thommo » Feb 15, 2017 3:00 pm

purplerat wrote:
Animavore wrote:

The demanded what they deserve when they voted for Trump and now they are getting it, as far as I'm concerned.

I know what you mean, I have similar thoughts from time to time. Then I think about how these people are moms, which means they have kids who are getting fucked over by this and I get a little depressed.
Thommo

Print view this post

#4120  Postby Pulsar » Feb 15, 2017 3:13 pm

Karma is a bitch.
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs