Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#10541  Postby Animavore » Apr 23, 2017 5:24 pm

I actually started a new game yesterday morning because I wasn't happy with the turn out of the second boss fight.

It's amazing how fast you can race through it if you skip and fast forward all the scenes. I'm already back to where I was only more boss this time.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10542  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Animavore wrote:For a game which goes through an inordinate amount of tutorial they could've told me the shortcut to highlight an enemy's stats without having to cycle through the Tactics menu every time, rather than me finding out when I accidentally pressed the wrong button. It was the only thing that was annoying me. :nono:

(The button is L1)

Doesn't it just say on the screen? Feel like it did for Persona Q.

Animavore wrote:Tutorial>Battle>Shadow Personalities.

If you read nothing else in the tutorial (there's a lot) make sure you read that and never fail another negotiation.

While negotiations in previous SMT & Persona games could get a little frustrating in their randomness, I think it'd be a shame if there was a simple 1 to 1 for succeeding at negotiations.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10543  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 23, 2017 8:20 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Animavore wrote:For a game which goes through an inordinate amount of tutorial they could've told me the shortcut to highlight an enemy's stats without having to cycle through the Tactics menu every time, rather than me finding out when I accidentally pressed the wrong button. It was the only thing that was annoying me. :nono:

(The button is L1)

Doesn't it just say on the screen? Feel like it did for Persona Q.

it does, iirc, on the combat choice screen...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10544  Postby Animavore » Apr 23, 2017 8:22 pm

It does just say on screen. I'm an idiot.

It's not quite a simple 1 to 1. For instance one personality types is responsive to jokey answers. What if you don't find any of the answers funny?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10545  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 23, 2017 8:32 pm

ive found some easier than others to understand exactly what response theyre looking for, to be sure.thanks for pointing out that tutorial bit....

jeez, its only april znd already choosing my goty is going to be impossible....i thought nier had it all wrapped up but persona is alxo awesome....
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10546  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Animavore wrote:It does just say on screen. I'm an idiot.

It's not quite a simple 1 to 1. For instance one personality types is responsive to jokey answers. What if you don't find any of the answers funny?

Have you found that they ever not respond to the joke you picked? Assuming it was possible to tell it was a joke?

Does it do negotiations in multiple rounds? In P2 you'd have a few chances to get the reaction you want, different reaction would net you different things.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10547  Postby Animavore » Apr 23, 2017 8:51 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Animavore wrote:It does just say on screen. I'm an idiot.

Have you found that they ever not respond to the joke you picked? Assuming it was possible to tell it was a joke?

Does it do negotiations in multiple rounds? In P2 you'd have a few chances to get the reaction you want, different reaction would net you different things.

Yeah it has happened I thought something was funny that they didn't.

You get two rounds, though you must end well on the second.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10548  Postby Animavore » Apr 24, 2017 10:56 am

THIS is how you do a PlayStation Theme.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10549  Postby Animavore » Apr 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Hint: If an enemy uses an Attack Up spell use an Attack Down spell. That enemy will then waste its turn using Attack Up again. You can effectively take one enemy out of the battle this way.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10550  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Animavore wrote:Hint: If an enemy uses an Attack Up spell use an Attack Down spell. That enemy will then waste its turn using Attack Up again. You can effectively take one enemy out of the battle this way.

What's attack up/down? Attack power buff/debuff? You also take one of your party out of the fight as well, so usually best against bosses or small groups. But if past games are any indication, that trick won't always work.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10551  Postby Animavore » Apr 24, 2017 2:32 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Animavore wrote:Hint: If an enemy uses an Attack Up spell use an Attack Down spell. That enemy will then waste its turn using Attack Up again. You can effectively take one enemy out of the battle this way.

What's attack up/down? Attack power buff/debuff? You also take one of your party out of the fight as well, so usually best against bosses or small groups. But if past games are any indication, that trick won't always work.

Yeah, attack buff/debuff. I used the technique against the second boss. The one I messed up on last time. Not so tough when you're 3 levels higher and have pockets full of items.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10552  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Last night I finished my first playthrough of the RPG, Tyranny. I enjoyed the game in general, and I'll probably play it again. I have one main gripe, though. It's to do with the ending, so obviously this will involve spoilers:

In the first act, I betrayed the bad guys and sided with the rebels, the Vendrien Guard. I spent the majority of the rest of the game building up a coalition to resist the forces of Kyros, the tyrant the title refers to. The game lets you choose which factions you want to bring in to this coalition, and it leads you to believe these decisions will be important. You're given the impression that there's going to be a big final reckoning when Kyros realises you've betrayed him/her and decides to crush you; so you naturally want to pick factions that compliment each other, thinking this will matter. I picked the Forge-Bound to make weapons and armour, the Unbroken to be frontline soldiers equipped with said gear, and the Earthshakers, to have some mages in the army. So after personally killing off all of the other main "Archons" in the game, including my ex-boss, Tunon the Adjudicator, I was expecting some big showdown with The Overlord himself, in which all the faction choices I'd made would count in the battle.

Instead what happened was this: Kyros did send out a huge army to crush me, but I simply teleported up to the top of my spire and I issued a magical edict that wreaked havoc on Kyros's towns and cities. His/her army promptly turned around and his/her invasion was cancelled. The game ends and I get the final exposition screen there and then. This exposition bit was done reasonably well, and the choices you make throughout the game do get recognised in some way. But the way the game ended was overall a big anti-climax. After all the build-up of "oh shit, we'll need to stop this huge army", you deal with it in one quick scene, and the factions you sided with don't even come into it.

Again, the game leading up to this was still fun, and I'll probably play it again, perhaps as some evil lunatic character next time.

But, yes, that ending left something to be desired...
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#10553  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Animavore wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

Yeah, attack buff/debuff. I used the technique against the second boss. The one I messed up on last time. Not so tough when you're 3 levels higher and have pockets full of items.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like something they'd let you get away with on a second level boss :)

Incidentally, are the spells still using the classic SMT naming system? Agi/bufu/zan/zio? Attack boost would be tarukaja, I think. Could always remember the others, but buff/debuffs I couldn't, for some reason.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10554  Postby Animavore » Apr 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Yean same naming system. There's also frei/psi/tubu/garu/kouha/eiha
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10555  Postby Animavore » Apr 25, 2017 8:57 am

This could be really good.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10556  Postby Animavore » Apr 25, 2017 11:36 am

I've been reading Eurogamer's walkthrough on areas I've already completed and they've maximised their time with maximum efficiency. I'm obviously not going to read ahead to areas I'm working on, but it's given me plenty of ideas (Knowledge Up +3).
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10557  Postby Thommo » Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Stop making me jealous kthx.
Thommo

Print view this post

#10558  Postby Animavore » Apr 25, 2017 6:37 pm

I got some SP regen rings which give you little regen at the start of each turn. I can effectively grind indefinitely which seriously cuts back on amount of times spend visiting Palace's, which means more 'me' time. :dance:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10559  Postby thirsting » Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Animavore wrote:This could be really good.

Art-style and the name Hob really brings to mind the Dresden Codak web comic, but couldn't find any info about the possible connection. Just a coincidence?
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10560  Postby Animavore » Apr 25, 2017 9:09 pm

It's not related.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)