The 2nd picture book by yours truly - Swish Fish Wish

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The 2nd picture book by yours truly - Swish Fish Wish

#21  Postby felltoearth » Sep 17, 2019 9:47 pm

Yeah and the lady striking out the name of the “publishing” house manager. I understand though why initially you didn’t include.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The 2nd picture book by yours truly - Swish Fish Wish

#22  Postby felltoearth » Sep 17, 2019 9:50 pm

FYI, a “legit” publishing contract isn’t necessarily any different. Sales have to pay for marketing, admin staffing etc. Depending on how well the book does you might have to owe the publisher money. Recording contracts typically also have the same setup.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 17, 2019 9:53 pm

felltoearth wrote:Yeah and the lady striking out the name of the “publishing” house manager. I understand though why initially you didn’t include.

Its Olympia Publishers, I'll say that now. Judging by the email I received it's James Houghton - the name used, probably fake methinks. I guess she might be a little scared of him, due to his abusing of trust regarding a work she poured herself into...perhaps....or maybe she still thought there was some chance of the "being properly published" dream and so didn't want to cast him away in a name and shame MO.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#24  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 17, 2019 9:56 pm

felltoearth wrote:FYI, a “legit” publishing contract isn’t necessarily any different. Sales have to pay for marketing, admin staffing etc. Depending on how well the book does you might have to owe the publisher money. Recording contracts typically also have the same setup.

Disagree - the publishing house for literature/books takes the risk for the "carrot" of, amongst other things, profit. the author/artist is/should not be liable.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#25  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Fellto is right, "legit" publishers and labels do do this, though some don't. I'd never work with one that did. Depending on how confident they are, they might forward you some money but that will pretty much always come out of any royalties, and most likely will have to pay them back if you don't make enough to cover it. But "legit" publishers can do this because you know their brand and you've seen their products where you'd like yours to be. Some noname you've never heard of probably isn't going to be able to do anything for you, and just wants your money.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Books