Why can't the left and the right talk to each other?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why can't the left and the right talk to each other?

#141  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 06, 2020 8:23 am

Hermit wrote:
And a fucking waste of time, as was In Sitchu, though the latter was decidedly, though clumsily devious as well.

It's quite plausible they were one and the same person. If not, certainly this chap, and quite possibly In Sitchu as well were both sock puppets for previously banned tools.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#142  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 06, 2020 9:21 am

There was that fellow a little while back who reckoned Pride was depraved and had his whole set of pictures to go with it. I wonder if this guy and that guy were any relation.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Hermit » Mar 06, 2020 10:53 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:There was that fellow a little while back who reckoned Pride was depraved and had his whole set of pictures to go with it. I wonder if this guy and that guy were any relation.

Spotting similarities is easy. Features that would prove conclusions derived therefrom, not so much. Confirmation bias is a horrible and powerful monster that all too often makes fools of us.

Just a general remark. Despite my awareness of its existence I have been caught out by it often enough myself.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#144  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 06, 2020 12:49 pm

It's nothing to do with confirmation bias. It's analysis of written style, tone, and content.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#145  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Spearthrower wrote:It's nothing to do with confirmation bias. It's analysis of written style, tone, and content.

I think Hermit was talking about the OP's line of reasoning.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote: I wonder if this guy and that guy were any relation.

Pridefell Knowelitz or something, and yeah it was him.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#147  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 06, 2020 1:23 pm

I can hear him back at the Breitbart hive mind lair:

"I said they'd call me a homophobe, then I said some homophobic things and dared them to call me one...and THEY DID!"

Uh, well yeah, fuckwit :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#148  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Hermit wrote:ohh ahhh. ggorlock is a banned troll now. He'll be visiting his more welcoming media sites now with another feather in his hatband, reporting to all who will listen: "As I predicted, I was banned by yet another narrow-minded, leftie forum for merely expressing my opinion. Proof that lefties cannot tolerate dissent. Echo chambers, the lot."

I don't regard him as a troll in the sense that the Wikipedia defines it:
...a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

He was merely a right wing crusader who feels compelled to seek out left wing enemies and fight them wherever he finds them.

Well that's the thing. At first the things he said were so stupid and without self-awareness that I figured it had to be a windup. Turns out he was just a fucking idiot who couldn't reason his way out of a wet paper bag :dunno:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Hermit » Mar 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Spearthrower wrote:It's nothing to do with confirmation bias. It's analysis of written style, tone, and content.

Spinozasgalt wondered if that fellow a little while back who reckoned Pride was depraved and had his whole set of pictures to go with it and ggorlock were related. I presume he wondered if they were the same person (and hopefully correct me if I misunderstood). Of course analysis of written style, tone and content needs to take place to come to a conclusion, but confirmation bias can lead to the wrong one. Nobody is exempt from being subject to confirmation bias. That is what my warning was about.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#150  Postby Hermit » Mar 06, 2020 2:19 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Hermit wrote:ohh ahhh. ggorlock is a banned troll now. He'll be visiting his more welcoming media sites now with another feather in his hatband, reporting to all who will listen: "As I predicted, I was banned by yet another narrow-minded, leftie forum for merely expressing my opinion. Proof that lefties cannot tolerate dissent. Echo chambers, the lot."

I don't regard him as a troll in the sense that the Wikipedia defines it:
...a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

He was merely a right wing crusader who feels compelled to seek out left wing enemies and fight them wherever he finds them.

Well that's the thing. At first the things he said were so stupid and without self-awareness that I figured it had to be a windup. Turns out he was just a fucking idiot who couldn't reason his way out of a wet paper bag :dunno:

Pretty much so. Idiots are a dime a dozen. Too often their idiotic posts are mistaken for trolling.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#151  Postby Fallible » Mar 06, 2020 2:28 pm

However sometimes it is trolling. There is a cartoon - obvious troll is obvious - precisely because sometimes, when someone acts like an obvious troll, it is because they are an obvious troll. Forget the Pride stuff. Look at the way he addressed people.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 06, 2020 2:32 pm

Hermit wrote:

Spinozasgalt wondered if that fellow a little while back who reckoned Pride was depraved and had his whole set of pictures to go with it and ggorlock were related. I presume he wondered if they were the same person (and hopefully correct me if I misunderstood). Of course analysis of written style, tone and content needs to take place to come to a conclusion, but confirmation bias can lead to the wrong one. Nobody is exempt from being subject to confirmation bias. That is what my warning was about.

Yes, I understood... and it was in fact the same guy. I don't think confirmation bias is relevant.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#153  Postby laklak » Mar 06, 2020 3:33 pm

I can never remember, is a homophobe two words that are spelled differently but sound the same, or spelled the same but pronounced differently?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#154  Postby aufbahrung » Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm

They even see eye to eye for a time. Ultimately what the left and right at the margins have in common is bodies in pits. Nearer them bodies in pits they get the less they can stomach one another. Each the shadow of the other, knowing them bodies in pits will be held against them one day. The passengers, the commonry, know right from wrong even if not their left from right.
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Fallible » Mar 06, 2020 6:32 pm

She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 06, 2020 6:50 pm

Fallible wrote:Image

Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for, but as I couldn't find it, I had nothing else to say.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs