President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#20721  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 14, 2021 7:35 am

laklak wrote:Lol what a shitshow. What fucking good does any of this do?

What good does impeaching a guy who has caused and fomented a break-down of national institutions over years resulting in a significant part of the country believing that the election system is open to such massive fraud that millions of votes can be rigged to the point that thousands of people storm the capitol looking to hang or hurt your nation's elected officials?

Firstly, If nothing else: principle - if this is how Presidents can behave, you don't have a country. Secondly, the values the USA prides itself in having and which it proselytizes around the world are quite literally on the table at the moment; this shows where the US stands. Thirdly, if impeached, then a follow up vote can occur to remove Presidential privileges meaning, for example, that the tax-payer doesn't have to contribute their earnings towards this guy's security for the remainder of his life, plus it could then ensure that this conman can no longer hold office.

I'd say that there's never been a time when MORE good come from impeachment.

laklak wrote: McConnell has already said there won't be a vote in the Senate, and there's only a week left anyway.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. McConnell's about to lose his position, and there's no time limit here - the proceedings can and will go past one week.

laklak wrote: Even if they decided to hold a trial it would never finish in time.

In time for what? :think:

laklak wrote: FFS it's not even decent political theater, it's just moronic posturing.

It's neither. It really isn't.

laklak wrote:I cannot wait to GTFO of this stupid country. I'd FAR rather live under an African absolute monarch than these petulant, whiny, little bitches.

The great thing about living under a tyranny that's already occurred is that dissent's already been stamped out, frequently through violence and murder, so now there's a lovely semblance of unity. Just make sure you stay in line, put your feet where you're told, and utter not a peep. In a healthy democracy though, debate is always going to occur and the public can vote to choose who they want to lead the conversations.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20722  Postby arugula2 » Jan 14, 2021 7:39 am

laklak wrote:Lol what a shitshow. What fucking good does any of this do? McConnell has already said there won't be a vote in the Senate, and there's only a week left anyway. Even if they decided to hold a trial it would never finish in time. FFS it's not even decent political theater, it's just moronic posturing.

I cannot wait to GTFO of this stupid country. I'd FAR rather live under an African absolute monarch than these petulant, whiny, little bitches.

No but, seriously - of course it's theater. Anyone with 3 rational bits left can play out how the trial & acquittal would go. Anyone with a decent attention span & who doesn't get their info in an echo chamber knows the one decent chance for impeachment & conviction was following the Mueller probe, when 11 indictable counts were outlined, and the House leadership & the media made it all go away. It's the same people running the show now (in both categories).

Some expanded-squad members mean what they say (as does the congressman from my state, who drafted the impeachment thingy)... but some of those are paying attention enough to warn against the move we're seeing towards a more totalitarian state, which is actively being endorsed by media consumers whose emotions were warped by four years of compulsively binging on the Trump soap opera. Our species is predictable, and also fucked.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#20723  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 14, 2021 7:40 am

Fap.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20724  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 14, 2021 7:51 am

I have no idea how to communicate effectively on the topic of Trump's removal from Twitter. Everyone who has responded has misunderstood my position. :lol:
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20725  Postby arugula2 » Jan 14, 2021 7:55 am

Your entire post at the top of this page, Spearthrower, is the sort of thing I expect from a high schooler. Actorly, navel-gazing, and making no meaningful claim about anything real. It can almost be transposed to another time period & a different country - almost as though you don't like to scrutinize & question the thing you write about, but just want to express something strongly.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#20726  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I have no idea how to communicate effectively on the topic of Trump's removal from Twitter. Everyone who has responded has misunderstood my position. :lol:

I don't use Twitter, so I have no idea how to show the posts, so I will just C&P below. I assume from what you've written that your position is something very similar to Dorsey's.

I do not celebrate or feel pride in our having to ban @realDonaldTrump
from Twitter, or how we got here. After a clear warning we’d take this action, we made a decision with the best information we had based on threats to physical safety both on and off Twitter. Was this correct?

I believe this was the right decision for Twitter. We faced an extraordinary and untenable circumstance, forcing us to focus all of our actions on public safety. Offline harm as a result of online speech is demonstrably real, and what drives our policy and enforcement above all.

That said, having to ban an account has real and significant ramifications. While there are clear and obvious exceptions, I feel a ban is a failure of ours ultimately to promote healthy conversation. And a time for us to reflect on our operations and the environment around us.

Having to take these actions fragment the public conversation. They divide us. They limit the potential for clarification, redemption, and learning. And sets a precedent I feel is dangerous: the power an individual or corporation has over a part of the global public conversation.

That's roughly how I read your position: totally undesirable and worrying, yet also justified and necessary.

I will say that the above is ironic in that the co-founder of Twitter exhibits above how dysfunctional Twitter actually is because no serious conversation can occur in a body of text limited to 280 characters. I don't know if people start thinking in such abbreviated forms too and whether this can lead to people being unprepared to engage in necessary complexity and nuance.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20727  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 14, 2021 8:03 am

arugula2 wrote:Your entire post at the top of this page, Spearthrower, is the sort of thing I expect from a high schooler. Actorly, navel-gazing, and making no meaningful claim about anything real. It can almost be transposed to another time period & a different country - almost as though you don't like to scrutinize & question the thing you write about, but just want to express something strongly.

That's funny because when I returned after many years away, I mistakenly thought you were the user Arcanyn - a guy who rarely posts, but when he does so, those posts are typified by cautious reasoning. I thought 'what the fuck has happened to him to change so much?' Your posts, on the other hand, can be summarized very simply by 'Look at me! Aren't I special?'.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20728  Postby Hermit » Jan 14, 2021 8:31 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I have no idea how to communicate effectively on the topic of Trump's removal from Twitter. Everyone who has responded has misunderstood my position. :lol:

My reading of your post is that you see Twitter's ability to ban people (who depend on that platform for their income) even if they have done nothing wrong as a problem. While you approve of Trump being banned from social media platforms you are worried that it sets a precedent potentially enabling unjustified bans in the future.

Is that a misunderstanding of your position? If not, maybe you did not get the gist of my reply, most likely because I have failed to express it with sufficient clarity. If you are interested in finding out what I meant to say I'll elaborate.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#20729  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 14, 2021 12:21 pm

arugula2 wrote:Your entire post at the top of this page, Spearthrower, is the sort of thing I expect from a high schooler. Actorly, navel-gazing, and making no meaningful claim about anything real. It can almost be transposed to another time period & a different country - almost as though you don't like to scrutinize & question the thing you write about, but just want to express something strongly.

Your entire post, arugula2, is the sort of thing I expect from a high schooler. Actorly, navel-gazing, and making no meaningful claim about anything real. It can almost be transposed to another time period & a different country - almost as though you don't like to scrutinize & question the thing you write about, but just want to express something strongly.

:lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20730  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 14, 2021 12:58 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:

Your entire post, arugula2, is the sort of thing I expect from a high schooler. Actorly, navel-gazing, and making no meaningful claim about anything real. It can almost be transposed to another time period & a different country - almost as though you don't like to scrutinize & question the thing you write about, but just want to express something strongly.

:lol:

Try this:

https://www.pakin.org/complaint
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#20731  Postby felltoearth » Jan 14, 2021 1:48 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trump may be tamed by prison if he dies in it.

His advanced age is the only advantage here.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20732  Postby felltoearth » Jan 14, 2021 1:51 pm

I think it’s your lady parts. Try talking without a vagina.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20733  Postby DougC » Jan 14, 2021 2:54 pm

Question.

If he is convicted and goes to prison, does he get a Secret Service detail?
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20734  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 14, 2021 3:01 pm

I'd like to think that if that were to happen, the senate would have no problem stripping his SS detail. Then again, we live in interesting times.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20735  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 14, 2021 3:41 pm

Last night I was watching impeacment session in congress 15 mins 30 min 1 hour it wasnt ending everyone coming and talking 30 seconds or 2 minutes thank God I went to bed that video is 7 hour 47 minutes :coffee:
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#20736  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 14, 2021 4:16 pm

Sorry, I could've saved you the trouble. Democrats said what everyone already knows, Republicans twisted themselves into pretzels, seeming to forget that their standard for impeachment is lying about a blowjob.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20737  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 14, 2021 6:06 pm

DougC wrote:Question.

If he is convicted and goes to prison, does he get a Secret Service detail?

No, not in prison, and he can have his privileges stripped with a straight majority vote if convicted in the Senate trial following impeachment.*

With 3 members of my US family in the Secret Service, and two of them on active duty (one who's protected both Obama and Trump) - I am really fucking hoping that he's stripped of his post-Presidential privileges; he doesn't deserve the level of professional commitment and sense of duty they bring to their job. No one should ever have to or be expected to take a bullet for him; let him have his paid cronies do that.

* Error: Actually, as far as the relevant law goes (3 USC 102: Compensation of the President), if he's convicted in Senate Trial, he automatically loses those privileges... the vote I mentioned is to disqualify him from further office.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Jan 14, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20738  Postby Animavore » Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Can Trump have any charges brought to him over insurrecrion and sedition after he's finished pretending to be President and no longer has immunity?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20739  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 14, 2021 6:14 pm

Animavore wrote:Can Trump have any charges brought to him over insurrecrion and sedition after he's finished pretending to be President and no longer has immunity?

Absolutely, but they'll have to get in the long queue. This is probably why we're going to see a 11th hour pardon - he'd better not leave it too late!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20740  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 14, 2021 6:16 pm

There's talk of charging him but proving the link between Trump's behaviour and what happened may not be possible. As such, it may not be worthwhile.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs