Acupuncture Revisited

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Acupuncture Revisited

#1  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Article from New Left Project. Usually a politics blog - no prizes for guessing which side their pendulum swings to - but apparantly not today:

In their intriguing book Trick or Treatment? Alternative Medicine on Trial (Corgi, 2009),[1] Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst have done the health of the nation a massive service by critically scrutinising the history of the Prince of Wales' very own pet obsession... quackery. Here Singh and Ernst take on and thoroughly dispel popular misconceptions as to the utility of four alternative therapies: acupuncture, homeopathy, chiropractic therapy and herbal medicine.

Drawing upon the arguments presented in their book, this article endeavours to relate the interesting tale of how, contrary to scientific evidence, acupuncture has come to be seen as a cost-effective remedy for all manner of serious health problems.

While many so-called health and lifestyle magazines have done much to undermine public understanding of effective medical interventions, and of evidence-based science more generally, the role of the mainstream media in facilitating such problems should never be underestimated. For example, when President Nixon reopened diplomatic talks with China in 1972, the international media took it as a cue to fixate upon alternative medicine and traditional treatments.

http://www.newleftproject.org/index.php ... _revisited

I've read the book mentioned; I highly reccommend it.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Acupuncture Revisited

#2  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 29, 2013 7:08 am

Instead of starting a new thread I decided to post this here as it seems appropriate.

BBCNewsWebsite wrote:Albino alligator gets acupuncture in Brazil

Vets have used the ancient Asian practice of acupuncture to help the back problems of Bino the albino alligator at Sao Paulo Aquarium in Brazil.

Biologists say that acupuncture on animals is becoming increasingly common around the world.

Bino is regaining the use of his hind legs and tail thanks to what is expected to be a continuing course of treatment.

Video here.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby THWOTH » Aug 29, 2013 7:25 am

There's a joke in there somewhere. :think: BlackBart will probably be along shortly to let me know what it was.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Pulsar » Aug 29, 2013 7:45 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:
BBCNewsWebsite wrote:
Biologists say that acupuncture on animals is becoming increasingly common around the world.

A prime example is Cesar "the dog whisperer" Millan. Acupuncture is regularly part of his treatment:

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5  Postby minininja » Aug 29, 2013 10:15 am

Bloody hell, people put needles in kitties and call it treatment!
http://www.metro.us/boston/lifestyle/2013/08/27/animalpuncture-the-new-ancient-trend

It's (almost) even more stupid than with humans, since the animals don't even get the benefit of the placebo.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Matt_B » Aug 29, 2013 11:26 am

minininja wrote:Bloody hell, people put needles in kitties and call it treatment!
http://www.metro.us/boston/lifestyle/2013/08/27/animalpuncture-the-new-ancient-trend

It's (almost) even more stupid than with humans, since the animals don't even get the benefit of the placebo.

Just you wait. They'll be doing it on vegetables before the year's out.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 29, 2013 11:35 am

I'm assuming that you are attributing the alligator's ability to move his back legs after the start of the acupuncture treatment to something else, and I am well prepared to believe that something else is responsible, however I can understand why they would continue the treatment if he continued to improve. I really can't see loads of money being spent on doing research in this area? And why wouldn't they continue with something that appears to be helping?

Surely qualified vets are overseeing these treatments?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience