Daily Mail and Homeopathy - Doh!

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Daily Mail and Homeopathy - Doh!

#1  Postby campermon » Jun 01, 2010 9:40 am

"EastEnders actress Nadia Sawalha's eczema drove her to take desperate measures - but then she decided to put aside her prejudices and try homeopathy"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z0pao88oeV

"Nadia says her daughters Maddie, now seven, and Kiki, two, have never seen a GP and not had any childhood vaccinations. Rather, they consult the homeopath every few weeks."

:doh:

Will the madness never end?

:nono:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Daily Mail and Homeopathy - Doh!

#2  Postby MedGen » Jun 01, 2010 9:48 am

campermon wrote:"EastEnders actress Nadia Sawalha's eczema drove her to take desperate measures - but then she decided to put aside her prejudices and try homeopathy"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z0pao88oeV

"Nadia says her daughters Maddie, now seven, and Kiki, two, have never seen a GP and not had any childhood vaccinations. Rather, they consult the homeopath every few weeks."

:doh:

Will the madness never end?

:nono:

Not whilst shit-rags like the Daily Hate are still filling the heads of the sheeple with mindless drivel, lies and paranoid delusions.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Millefleur » Jun 01, 2010 9:50 am

Homeopathy I can kind of ignore as unimportant if I really try, not vaccinating children is another matter though. Mumps and measles cases in my area have risen, I think it was a measles outbreak last year and mumps his year (possibly the other way around) due to parents not vaccinating. By fucking with their own childrens health they're putting others at risk too, mostly younger babies/toddlers in nurseries or social groups who are not yet old enough for the vaccinations. Its infuriating, nurseries round here take babies as young as 6 weeks up to 5, most of the older children will be vaccinated but the babies up to I think 13 months won't have been called in for the jab yet so stick an unvaccinated child in there with mumps/measles and its the babies most at risk.

Just remembered I've got to go in for a rubella jab :shifty: :lol:
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 01, 2010 10:57 am

Quite a simple solution then. Have nurseries refuse kids that haven't had vaccination by the recommended age.

Incidentally, I was quite pleased about the news about the new breast cancer jab yesterday, until I realised that only the Mail and Express were running the story. I now assume it's largely bullshit. And these are the same scummy papers that were against the cervical cancer jab for teenage girls. :roll:

Oh, and if anyone has an account at the Daily Mail website, it might be an idea to put right some of the ridiculous and dangerous comments on that article.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby MedGen » Jun 01, 2010 11:10 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Quite a simple solution then. Have nurseries refuse kids that haven't had vaccination by the recommended age.

Incidentally, I was quite pleased about the news about the new breast cancer jab yesterday, until I realised that only the Mail and Express were running the story. I now assume it's largely bullshit. And these are the same scummy papers that were against the cervical cancer jab for teenage girls. :roll:

Oh, and if anyone has an account at the Daily Mail website, it might be an idea to put right some of the ridiculous and dangerous comments on that article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8714085.stm

It was published in Nature Medicine, and it was a trial in mice.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby chairman bill » Jun 01, 2010 11:25 am

Worth signing up & leaving a comment - the depth of the average DM reader's ignorance is substantial, and the willingness of the DM to propogate lies is even more so.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby melchior » Jun 01, 2010 1:04 pm

I've attempted to leave a comment but they are being pre-moderated. Some of the comments to the article are utter gems. I'd like to particularly reference Nicola in the real world (yeah right!!)

Oh such ignorance..
Why on earth is Nadia irresponsible in not vaccinating her childre???
I am 42 years old and have never been vaccinated, my children have never been vaccinated not have they had antibiotics. Both myself and my children are fit and healthy. I am a Homeopath.. have used homeopathy for years, and nothing more than homeopathy for my children. If you don't like it don't use it .. it is freedom of choice, but don't criticise someone who has had positive results..
Don't start quoting research as we all know that research can be manipulated to say what ever you want..
HOMEOPATHY DOES WORK !! people just do not care to acknowledge it because they don't understand it.. There are lots of other thing that occur in this world they we do not understand yet we do not disregard it as valid.. we accept that it works and carryon with life... JUST GET OVER THE FACT THAT IT ACUALLY WORKS!!!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z0pbdeGkpV

BECAUSE SHE SAID IT IN CAPITALS IT MUST BE TRUE. HOMEOPATHY WORKS, I BET ALL THAT NASTY CLINICAL RESEARCH WASN'T WRITTEN UP IN CAPITAL LETTERS - AND LOOK!!!!!! LOTS OF !!!!! MEANS THAT IT'S SUPER TRUE.

I just bet that she dots her i's with little circles and hearts....
Would you like a cup of tea with that?
melchior

Print view this post

#8  Postby HughMcB » Jun 01, 2010 1:48 pm

First comment from the feedback...
Does anyone know if this can be used for children? My two year old has to use steroid cream for eczema on her hands but it now seems to have stopped working and they are so sore.

- Rebecca, Denmark, 01/6/2010 10:14

Quite frankly the rest of the comments made me want to puke.

Well done Nadia, you have made the world just a little bit unsafer for children everywhere.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Vesper » Jun 01, 2010 2:07 pm

HughMcB wrote:First comment from the feedback...
Does anyone know if this can be used for children? My two year old has to use steroid cream for eczema on her hands but it now seems to have stopped working and they are so sore.

- Rebecca, Denmark, 01/6/2010 10:14

Quite frankly the rest of the comments made me want to puke.

Well done Nadia, you have made the world just a little bit unsafer for children everywhere.

Dear Rebecca from Denmark, I guess your kid normally washes in water daily? If so I'd say homeopathy is going to do fuck all because IT'S JUST WATER, but yes, water is perfectly safe to use on children :doh:
Vesper

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Millefleur » Jun 01, 2010 2:48 pm

In the words of Tim Minchin:

If you show me
That, say, homeopathy works,
Then I will change my mind
I’ll spin on a fucking dime
I’ll be embarrassed as hell,
But I will run through the streets yelling
It’s a miracle! Take physics and bin it!
Water has memory!
And while it’s memory of a long lost drop of onion juice is Infinite
It somehow forgets all the poo it’s had in it!
This post was brought to you by Millefleur's Mature Responses™

Millefleur

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Paul G » Jun 01, 2010 3:03 pm

Nadia you're a shit actor and now a total cunt. Well done.

IT HAS NOTHING IN IT! FUCK! It's not even a herbal remedy where you can actually claim some sort of ingredient has an effect. THERE'S NOTHING IN THEM. NOTHING. FUCK ALL.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Wiðercora » Jun 01, 2010 4:28 pm

campermon wrote:Will the madness never end?

Highly unlikely. As long as there are snakes there will always be snake oil.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mazille » Jun 01, 2010 4:40 pm

Wiðercora wrote:

Highly unlikely. As long as there are snakes there will always be snake oil.

Solution: Club the snakes to death!

- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Callan » Jun 01, 2010 4:55 pm

Why do you do it to yourselves, people? Why?
The Daily Mail - JUST SAY NO!
Put it down, and WALK AWAY.
Your blood pressure will thank you.
The banana is. I will eat the banana. There is no banana. I want another banana.
Callan

Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby HughMcB » Jun 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Paul G wrote:Nadia you're a shit actor and now a total cunt. Well done.

Although I could never word it as eloquently as this, I agree 100%. :grin:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby GrahamH » Jun 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Not everyone has a pet name for their eczema, but actress and TV presenter Nadia Sawalha called hers 'my John rash' after a mild attack was triggered as a 17-year-old after she broke up with her boyfriend.

And as mysteriously as the skin condition arrived, it disappeared. But then, in 2002, at the age of 39 and six months after the birth of her first daughter Maddie with TV producer Mark Adderley, Nadia noticed tiny bumps on the little finger of her left hand.

So right from the start the condition exhibits spontaneous clear-up and a possible link to stress or hormone levels.

Not a good candidate for a claim that 'homepoathy cured my eczema'.

Then her younger sister Julia told Nadia how she had bumped into an old classmate who had suffered badly from acne. And yet, here was this girl now with perfectly clear skin. When Julia asked how she had managed to get rid of the acne, the girl said it was due to homeopathy.

Imagine that! An old school friend ("classmate") who's acne cleared up when she got a bit older. Miraculous! It must have been homeopathy that cured her

'I took one each day for two weeks and the headaches gradually faded and then disappeared for ever. I was grateful although, if I'm honest, part of me still thought it was all a bit of a fluke.'

Hardly unusual for someone to get a run of headaches that clear up on its own. It probably was a "fluke", Nadia.

Her GP prescribed antibiotics which cleared up the bladder infection but, as is common with antibiotics, triggered a yeast infection. 'So I saw Rachel and she gave me one remedy - a single pill - and it cleared up. When I got another flareup a couple of months later, I remember thinking, "Here we go again!"

'But it lasted only about six hours. That happened twice more down the months and then never again.'

That sounds like a condition clearing up all on its own, once normal bodily flora get back to normal.

Confirmation bias?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#17  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Given the main traditional obsession of Daily Heil readers, do you think many of them are now taking tiny chips off their houses, dissolving them in water, taking a tiny drop of that solution and diluting it again, taking a tiny drop of that solution diluting it again, taking a tiny drop...

We'll have those house prices booming again in no time! :thumbup:
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Kytescall » Jun 03, 2010 2:50 am

Darwin says it will, eventually.
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. ~ H.P. Lovecraft, Ex Oblivione

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. ~ Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience