Does light actually travel?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Does light actually travel?

#301  Postby BWE » Jun 22, 2015 5:20 am

I want to thank all of you for being so lovable.
BWE

Print view this post

#302  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 27, 2015 3:24 pm

kendallangel wrote:no arguments, hahaha.
keep posting that I'm trolling, you will never win the discussion, because I'm right, no arguments, It's fair to post emoctions or just say think I'm trolling

I have evidences that go against this BS, we are seeing in the now, now now now now now now, and you can't win the discussion, NEVER

I'm done
Kisses.

and be careful, maybe in YOUR fantasy reality the sunlight will appear 10 minutes before the sun appear in our eyes (morning sunshine), so keep the sunscreens in the pocket, who knows :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I can offer you an object lesson in the manner of people's response.

You are reading it as if people are unable to respond to your cutting argumentation and insightful analysis.... but what's actually happening is that no one can quite grasp how someone with the cognitive capacity to type on a computer or tie their shoelaces could actually consider this anything other than nonsense.

So, enjoy an object lesson where I mystify myself into nonsense.

Water isn't actually wet, because you know... water is comprised of atoms, and atoms aren't wet! That's absurd! If atoms were wet, they'd slip off each other all the time and nothing would stick together. But you can see in front of your very eyes that things do stick together! It's so mystifying!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#303  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 27, 2015 3:41 pm

kendallangel wrote:" It's obvious that various structures in the eye respond to light in the visible spectrum in various ways. After photoreceptors in the retina are activated, electrical signals pass along the optic nerve, and the signals are processed somewhere in the brain"

Yes, and what this has to do with "light travelling through our eyes"

Light has to "travel through our eyes" to reach the retina, where the photons are detected by phototransductive neurons, which starts the vision cascade, leading to an image being formed in the striate cortex - ie, vision.
Our eyes can do it very well without any "photons" (invisible, unproven) having to travel (nanoseconds, or dependending on the distance "minutes") into our eyes to make it happen .. or our eyes do it instantly in the NOW, or It's just that Light does not travel.
Light travels. Get used to it.
What I'm saying is just that, I'm not arguing that what happens in the eyes

Then you believe that we see the sun 8 minutes in the past? hahahaha, this is not even wrong, this is stupid.

visual evidence says otherwise, when the sun appears, it appears in the now .. the sun is not eight minutes in the future, if he was, then the sunlight would appear before the sun appear, which does not happen.
lol . this is totally BS. You can't argue

Oh, yes I can! It takes light 8 minutes to travel from the sun's photosphere to earth. Thus, we see it 8 minutes after it leaves the sun. Your absurd conclusion that the sun would have to be 8 minutes into the future shows only that you need to think more clearly, not that no-one else can argue.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#304  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jun 27, 2015 3:50 pm

In fact the sun just stopped shining. The end is in 8 minutes. Goodbye friends! :-)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#305  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 27, 2015 3:52 pm

:hysterical:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#306  Postby Peter Brown » Jun 27, 2015 4:45 pm

I like the question I heard recently

How fast is the speed of dark?
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#307  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I like the question I heard recently

There's a boring answer to that - see DB's post about the delay between the sun going dark and us being plunged into darkness - it's just the same as the speed of light, I'm afraid. :(

EDIT: OTOH, if you tried to measure the speed of darkness using a "beam of darkness", you might have a problem!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#308  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jun 27, 2015 5:11 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

There's a boring answer to that - see DB's post about the delay between the sun going dark and us being plunged into darkness - it's just the same as the speed of light, I'm afraid. :(

EDIT: OTOH, if you tried to measure the speed of darkness using a "beam of darkness", you might have a problem!

I thought that was Lucifer's job? :dopey:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#309  Postby newolder » Jun 27, 2015 5:28 pm

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#310  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 27, 2015 5:51 pm

newolder wrote:

... And if you do the same thing with a laser beam instead of a shadow, you can show that the speed of light can be much greater than the speed of light! :)
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#311  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Far faster than the speed of light! :) The problem is that every time we shine a torch on it to measure how fast it moves, it's already bloody gone! :coffee:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#312  Postby Fenrir » Jun 27, 2015 10:44 pm

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Pratchett: Reaper Man
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#313  Postby BWE » Jun 27, 2015 11:12 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

Far faster than the speed of light! :) The problem is that every time we shine a torch on it to measure how fast it moves, it's already bloody gone! :coffee:

I'm pretty sure dark moves at the speed of light.
BWE

Print view this post

#314  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jun 28, 2015 6:20 am

BWE wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Dark is not a thing, it is an absence of a thing, namely light.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#315  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 28, 2015 9:15 am

BWE wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

It potentially moves far faster. If you had a powerful enough torch to shine a light onto the moon's surface, and used your hand in front of the torch to cast a shadow onto it, then moved your hand so the shadow went from one side of the moon's face to another, the shadow would be moving faster than the speed of light. Factor that up to a torch which is powerful enough to light up the surface of a more distant body, and the speed at which the shadow moves would be correspondingly faster! :naughty2:

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Dark is not a thing, it is an absence of a thing, namely light.

Spoilsport! :naughty2:

The thread's OP is the kind of chap that lives in mystification, so I thought my faster-than-light dark would be fitting. The non-mystified answer is that 'dark doesn't travel at all', so of course it doesn't move faster than light, or in fact, anything! :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#316  Postby Thommo » Jun 28, 2015 11:07 am

But light is a thing and the light would "travel" behind the darkness at the same "speed"!
Thommo

Print view this post

#317  Postby kennyc » Jun 28, 2015 11:12 am

I prefer traveling light myself, just a book, a bedroll, and some snacks.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#318  Postby Alan B » Jun 28, 2015 1:12 pm

The Prince of Dark wills always beat the Lord of Light.

It is the Mystic will of the people to follow the Dark Side.

So it is written!

:snooty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#319  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Thommo wrote:But light is a thing and the light would "travel" behind the darkness at the same "speed"!

Actually, you can have a shadow appear to move at faster than the speed of light - this is not wrong if carefully said, and it's not a joke - but it is a 'wrong way of thinking' - a mystification, which is why I posted in this thread. The OP seems to wallow in mystification on the few threads of his I've seen! :)

A shadow is not a thing - that's all that matters really. You can hardly be measuring the speed, or any other dimension of a non-existent thing. All you could be measuring is the absence of light, which makes the mystifying obfuscation go away.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#320  Postby laklak » Jun 28, 2015 3:24 pm

The speed of dark is greater than the speed of light. It's explained by the Theory of Dark Suckers.

https://astro.uni-bonn.de/~dfischer/dark_sucker_2.html

Dark is faster than light. If you would open a drawer very slowly, you will notice that the light goes into the drawer. (You can see this happen.) You cannot see the dark leave the drawer. Continue to open the drawer and light will continue to enter the drawer; however, you will not see any dark leave the drawer. Therefore, dark is faster than light. Go into a closet, close the door, and turn off the dark sucker. Have a friend open the door about 1 inch. Your friend will not see any dark leave the closet, nor will you. Have your friend open the door until half the closet is dark and half is light. Since 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time, and you do not feel any change in pressure, by compressing the dark, it is logical to assume that dark is faster than light.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience