Drinking hydrogen peroxide

Believe it or not!

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Drinking hydrogen peroxide

#21  Postby The_Piper » Feb 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Maybe it kills the healthy ones, and saves the cancerous ones. :tongue:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 09, 2015 9:42 pm

It just nukes them all, healthy and cancerous. Assuming of course you can actually transport it to the tumour site in the first place, before it''s had chance to react violently with your digestive tract. A matter that can become even more critical to your health if you happen to have a stomach ulcer, because the moment hydrogen peroxide comes into contact with the catalase enzymes in your bloodstream, which are specifically provided by your body as protection against oxidative damage, you end up becoming a walking gas generator. At least, for as long as it takes for the reaction to generate enough gas to make you explode, and enough heat to make your innards undergo spontaneous combustion. Trust me, this is a hideous way of dying.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Goldenmane » Feb 10, 2015 5:14 am

campermon wrote:100% H2O2 is nasty nasty stuff!!

I put around 100ml in a very tall glass gas jar. Then, with a spatula gaffer taped to the end of a metre rule, add a small amount of potassium permanganate. This decomposes the H2O2 pretty instantaneously creating loads of heat and a massive mushroom cloud of thick vapour to be ejected.

A great demo!

:beer:

Potassium Iodide and dish detergent's messier.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#24  Postby juju7 » Feb 10, 2015 10:24 am

campermon wrote:Holy fuck!

"Cancer is one of the newest applications that has been discovered for hydrogen peroxide. In this case, it oxidizes the unhealthy cells to eliminate the cancer without harming the good healthy cells."
http://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/hyd ... oxide.html

I'd like to know exactly how H2O2 differentiates between unhealthy and healthy cells.

:doh:

Although due to its potential to form free radicals, it might actually cause gene damage and cause cancer. http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S21 ... ci_arttext
juju7
Banned Sockpuppet

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#25  Postby ramseyoptom » Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm

The only reason I can think of that might make some one think it safe to ingest is that it is commonly used for storage and disinfection of soft contact lenses, This is because it is one of the few disinfectants capable of dealing with acanthamoeba in the cyst form. Having said that the dilution level is about 3% and the storage case has a platinum disc in the bottom to catalyse the H2O2 to H2O + O or before insertion a chemical neutraliser is used for a good 30minutes or so before hand.

Having said that, I am no longer surprised at the stupidity of people.

( If you really want to feel hurt just put a contact lens in your eye which has been immersed in H2O2, you only do it ONCE!. The state of the cornea needs to be seen to be believed. And yes I have seen the odd cornea following accidental contamination with H2O2).
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#26  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 25, 2015 3:27 pm

I should point out that most medicines are simply poisons taken in small doses. I do not have any hard information about possible medical effects of H2O2 at a little less than 1% concentration, but it should not be dismissed out of hand. After all, you can easily kill yourself with Aspirin, but nobody shuns it here as a pain-killer, or as a means to reduce blood pressure, AFAIK (except those for whom it doesn't work, presumably).
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 25, 2015 3:31 pm

... It probably acts like an oxygen free radical, so it might have the side effects associated with that.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 25, 2015 3:42 pm

I have a natural remedy that cures just about anything. It's called a swift kick to the nuts. I take cash only.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)

Birthday
Print view this post

#29  Postby babel » Mar 25, 2015 3:46 pm

DavidMcC wrote:... It probably acts like an oxygen free radical, so it might have the side effects associated with that.

Which is, as far as my very very basic understanding of highschool chemistry taught me, corrosive?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#30  Postby scott1328 » Mar 25, 2015 3:54 pm

As it turns out, Aspirin is not that easy to kill yourself with, fatal overdoses occur at doses in excess of 500mg/kg of body weight. For a 90kg man that's 90 extra strength capsules. You will very likely puke up the capsules before a fatal dose enters your blood stream. In all there are much easier ways (and less messy) to kill yourself.

Acetaminophen is way easier to fatally overdose yourself on, of course that's a slow death of liver failure...
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby scott1328 » Mar 25, 2015 3:55 pm

babel wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:... It probably acts like an oxygen free radical, so it might have the side effects associated with that.

Which is, as far as my very very basic understanding of highschool chemistry taught me, corrosive?

So you would say that your are rusty at chemistry?
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby babel » Mar 25, 2015 3:57 pm

scott1328 wrote:
babel wrote:

Uhu.

My guess about the chemical properties of an oxygen free radical was off then, I assume? :doh:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#33  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 25, 2015 4:03 pm

scott1328 wrote:As it turns out, Aspirin is not that easy to kill yourself with, fatal overdoses occur at doses in excess of 500mg/kg of body weight. For a 90kg man that's 90 extra strength capsules. You will very likely puke up the capsules before a fatal dose enters your blood stream. In all there are much easier ways (and less messy) to kill yourself.

Acetaminophen is way easier to fatally overdose yourself on, of course that's a slow death of liver failure...

OK. I'm fine with that. You have found a better example than I did of medicines being poisons in small doses than I did. :thumbup:
I am confident that it is a good rule, because many prescriptions come with strict warnings not to over-dose, and some people kill themselves by falsely arguing that if a little of it is good for you, then more is even better!
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby scott1328 » Mar 25, 2015 4:04 pm

babel wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
babel wrote:

Uhu.

My guess about the chemical properties of an oxygen free radical was off then, I assume? :doh:

:dunno: I am way rustier(?) at chemistry than you.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Babel, the fact that H2O2 is corrosive does not mean that it cannot have medicinal value at suitably low doses. In medicine, finding the appropriate dose is essential, because remarking that chemical X is a "poison", and is therefore to be ruled out as medicine, would eliminate most modern medicines (even some "herbal" remedies, ffs!)
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 25, 2015 11:52 pm

Just one slight problem. How do you ensure that your dose of hydrogen peroxide is actually targeted at the intended targets, without lots of collateral damage?

This is why the usual favoured route for delivering biocidal peroxide groups to target cells, centres upon compounds like artemisinin, which have various interesting organic groups to provide the specificity of target binding, and the peroxide radical safely encased in a sesquiterpene lactone, awaiting delivery to the target. Better still, combine something like adamantane and an ozonide group, and serve it up as arterolane.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Matthew Shute » Mar 26, 2015 12:26 am

http://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/hydrogen_peroxide.html
How Can I Use Peroxide?

As an alternative treatment option, H2O2 serves as a disinfectant that sanitizes through oxidation as well, making it the world’s safest sanitizer. It also fights infection, eliminates toxins, cures bacteria and viruses, and neutralizes germs. With all of these properties, it can be utilized to treat a wide array of common illnesses. Some of the most common ways it is used is in treating sinus infections, cleansing wounds, eliminating parasites, reducing toothaches, detoxing the body, and treating cancer.

"Detox" the body by... introducing something toxic into it. Genius. :picard:

1. Sinus Infections

Used as a sinus infection treatment, hydrogen peroxide functions to eliminate the underlying infection. It clears the nasal passages and kills any existing germs to prevent further progression of the condition.

Why do I get the mental image of some idiot trying to nasally inhale a bottle of rocket propellant?

2. Wounds

One of the most common uses of H2O2 is as a wound sanitizer. When applied to a wound, the product reacts with the organic matter in the lesion and oxidizes to kill any germs and prevent infection.

...also useful for creating new wounds, or extending wounds you already have, by the means of lovely chemical burns.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#38  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 27, 2015 1:31 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:
http://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/hydrogen_peroxide.html
How Can I Use Peroxide?

As an alternative treatment option, H2O2 serves as a disinfectant that sanitizes through oxidation as well, making it the world’s safest sanitizer. It also fights infection, eliminates toxins, cures bacteria and viruses, and neutralizes germs. With all of these properties, it can be utilized to treat a wide array of common illnesses. Some of the most common ways it is used is in treating sinus infections, cleansing wounds, eliminating parasites, reducing toothaches, detoxing the body, and treating cancer.

"Detox" the body by... introducing something toxic into it. Genius. :picard:

It's not as daft as you seem to think, Matthew. I suggest that you re-read the above quote.
NB, it's use against cancer is not to be confused with a cure.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby DavidMcC » Mar 27, 2015 3:21 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide#Use_in_alternative_medicine
Use in alternative medicine

Practitioners of alternative medicine have advocated the use of hydrogen peroxide for the treatment of various conditions, including emphysema, influenza, AIDS and in particular cancer.[47] The practise calls for the daily consumption of hydrogen peroxide, either orally or by injection and is, in general, based around 2 precepts. Firstly that hydrogen peroxide is naturally produced by the body to combat infection. Secondly, that human pathogens (including cancer: See Warburg hypothesis) are anaerobic and cannot survive in oxygen-rich environments. The ingestion or injection of hydrogen peroxide is therefore believed to kill disease by mimicking the immune response in addition to increasing levels of oxygen within the body. This makes it similar to other oxygen-based therapies, such as ozone therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

However, it goes on to say:
Both the effectiveness and safety of hydrogen peroxide therapy is disputed by mainstream scientists. Hydrogen peroxide is produced by the immune system but in a carefully controlled manner. Cells called by phagocytes engulf pathogens and then use hydrogen peroxide to destroy them. The peroxide is toxic to both the cell and the pathogen and so is kept within a special compartment, called a phagosome. Free hydrogen peroxide will damage any tissue it encounters via oxidative stress; a process which also has been proposed as a cause of cancer.[48] Claims that hydrogen peroxide therapy increase cellular levels of oxygen have not been supported. The quantities administered would be expected to provide very little additional oxygen compared to that available from normal respiration. It should also be noted that it is difficult to raise the level of oxygen around cancer cells within a tumour, as the blood supply tends to be poor.
Large oral doses of hydrogen peroxide at a 3% concentration may cause irritation and blistering to the mouth, throat, and abdomen as well as abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.[49] Intravenous injection of hydrogen peroxide has been linked to several deaths.[50][51][52]
The American Cancer Society states that "there is no scientific evidence that hydrogen peroxide is a safe, effective or useful cancer treatment"[53] The therapy is not approved by the U.S. FDA.

So, it is potentially a cause of cancer, not a treatment against it, and, as Cali said, it damages any cell it encounters. However, some cells can be replaced more easily than others, so I don't see that it would necessarily have to be targetted in all cases. :dunno:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Pseudoscience