Power balance holograms?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Power balance holograms?

#1  Postby Dries van Tonder » Mar 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Last week, while at the local cycling shop to buy some cycling gear, the owner (whom I have known for a number of years) offered to show me a couple of "party tricks". He pulled off a wristband that he was wearing and gave it to me to hold in my right hand. He then attempted to push me of balance but was unable to do so. After I had put down the writsband, he again attempted to push me of balance and managed to do it quite easily. We went through the procedure again; but this time he used a different technique. The results was the same though. The bracelet turned out to be a power balance bracelet.

On the power balance website this is how they explain the bracelet works:

•What is Power Balance?
Power Balance is performance technology that uses holograms embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body’s natural energy field.

Balance • Strength • Flexibility

•How does it work?
Most everything has a frequency inherent to it. Some frequencies react positively with your body and others negatively. When the hologram comes in contact with your body’s energy field, it allows your body to interact with the natural, beneficial frequency stored within the hologram. This results in improved energy flow throughout your body.

It sounds like utter bullshit. This is the website: http://www.powerbalance.com
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Dries van Tonder

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Power balance holograms?

#2  Postby Dogmatic Pyrrhonist » Apr 06, 2010 1:46 am

Dries van Tonder wrote:Last week, while at the local cycling shop to buy some cycling gear, the owner (whom I have known for a number of years) offered to show me a couple of "party tricks". He pulled off a wristband that he was wearing and gave it to me to hold in my right hand. He then attempted to push me of balance but was unable to do so. After I had put down the writsband, he again attempted to push me of balance and managed to do it quite easily. We went through the procedure again; but this time he used a different technique. The results was the same though. The bracelet turned out to be a power balance bracelet.

•What is Power Balance?
Power Balance is performance technology that uses holograms embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body’s natural energy field.

•How does it work?
Most everything has a frequency inherent to it. Some frequencies react positively with your body and others negatively. When the hologram comes in contact with your body’s energy field, it allows your body to interact with the natural, beneficial frequency stored within the hologram. This results in improved energy flow throughout your body.

It sounds like utter bullshit. This is the website: http://www.power balance.com

Yes, yes it does.
Testing this needs double blind. It's not good enough that you didn't know what he was doing, but the pusher needs to not know whether you have the bracelet as well. If you can find a similar sized bracelet, wrap it and the "magic" one in something so you can't tell which is which. Juggle em up, test, then expose which is which. Rinse and repeat, until you have a statistically significant result.
Dogmatic Pyrrhonist
AKA https://plus.google.com/u/0/105518842266362138077/about (google has decided my name isn't a 'real' name)

Dogmatic Pyrrhonist

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Dries van Tonder » Apr 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks for the advice. Will do :wink: :wink:
Dries van Tonder

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby zulumoose » Oct 01, 2010 1:35 pm

This was debunked on an Australian TV show, they did tests on 6 people with the seller of the bracelet demonstrating 100% success, then they tried the same tests double-blind, and he was never able to pick out who had the genuine article.

Plus it appears the 'inventor' has no science or tests to back up his product that are not of the 'testimonial' variety, apparently he explains that proper scientific testing is too expensive, yet somehow he has the resources to mass produce holograms and market worldwide?

Absolute bulldust until proven otherwise, and I'm not holding my breath for that.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5  Postby GerryC » Nov 13, 2010 2:55 am

The is a big thing amongst sports people - and, unfortunately, young sports people.
Powerband use a form of "applied kinesiology" to prove that it works - the Australian Skeptics debunked this in the above TV show.
The bracelet is spreading. The shop for an Australian Broadcaster (SBS) is selling them in their shop.
Go to SkepticBros to purchase a version called the Placebo Band - great for piss-taking!
GerryC

Print view this post

#6  Postby Dries van Tonder » Nov 13, 2010 5:39 am

GerryC wrote:The is a big thing amongst sports people - and, unfortunately, young sports people.
Powerband use a form of "applied kinesiology" to prove that it works - the Australian Skeptics debunked this in the above TV show.
The bracelet is spreading. The shop for an Australian Broadcaster (SBS) is selling them in their shop.
Go to SkepticBros to purchase a version called the Placebo Band - great for piss-taking!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dries van Tonder

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Paul » Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Oh dear - I fear these stupid things are going to get a boost from the victorious England cricket team and the soon to be royal, Kate Middleton. :nono:

BBC New - What are Power Balance bands?
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Weaver » Jan 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, they've been forced to admit their claims are BS in Australia - hopefully the rest of the world follows the lead and cracks down on this sort of false advertising.

http://gizmodo.com/5723577/
I don't think this would surprise anyone, but PowerBalance—manufacturers of plastic wristbands with hologram stickers on it—have admitted that there's "no credible scientific evidence that supports [their] claims and therefore [they] engaged in misleading conduct." Here's their statement:

In our advertising we stated that Power Balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility.
We admit that there is no credible scientific evidence that supports our claims and therefore we engaged in misleading conduct in breach of s52 of the Trade Practices Act 1974.
If you feel you have been misled by our promotions, we wish to unreservedly apologise and offer a full refund.

They had to publish that in Australian media. The company has been under attack by consumer associations all over Europe because of their bogus claims and pseudo-scientific mumbojumbo, but this seems to be the first time in which a regulatory authority has made them admit that their claims are a simply a fraud.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby twistor59 » Jan 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Dries van Tonder wrote:Last week, while at the local cycling shop to buy some cycling gear, the owner (whom I have known for a number of years) offered to show me a couple of "party tricks". He pulled off a wristband that he was wearing and gave it to me to hold in my right hand. He then attempted to push me of balance but was unable to do so. After I had put down the writsband, he again attempted to push me of balance and managed to do it quite easily. We went through the procedure again; but this time he used a different technique. The results was the same though. The bracelet turned out to be a power balance bracelet.

•What is Power Balance?

•How does it work?

It sounds like utter bullshit. This is the website: http://www.powerbalance.com

Get him to hold the bracelet and see if it has any influence on YOUR ability to push HIM !
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby gleniedee » Jan 07, 2011 11:08 pm

In Australia, the manufacturer of the product has been ordered by the ACCC to cease making false claims about the product and to make a full refund to any who ask.

You take an old trick that scamsters have been doing for eons, dress it up with some pretty design and some sciency sounding words and then get yourself into gymnasiums and convince the sweaty denizens that your magic plastic wrist band can make them stronger and have better balance. Once you have the money rolling in from that (and at $60 each for bangles that probably cost less than a dollar to make it rolls in fast) you convince a television show to give you some free publicity. When that publicity backfires a little and causes some questioning of the product you run away and hide, cutting off all communication with critics because you can't justify the claims you make. The one thing stopping this site from being a candidate for an Anus Maximus Award is that the only damage done to victims is financial and even then $60 is not a great deal of money. Taking it from people without offering anything of benefit in return is naughty, but most people don't die just because someone came along and took their money.

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/powerbalance.htm
gleniedee

Name: glen dee
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby kiore » Jan 07, 2011 11:15 pm

They really work well, the company has made lots of money and must have helped balance their books at least.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#12  Postby tolman » Jan 07, 2011 11:34 pm

How can a company with a shred of decency claim on the one hand (or should that be face?) that they make no scientific claims at all, and on the other that their product does some holgrammatic energy balancing bullshit?

The sooner anyone who sells a product or service claiming to work by 'energy' either has to explain exactly what they mean or get stapled to a wall, the better.

Alternatively, as a softer option, how about denying any kind of legal trademark or other IP protection to such products up to the point they can actually be shown to work?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#13  Postby Arcanyn » Jan 09, 2011 4:54 am

Embedded with frequencies? That doesn't make grammatical sense. It's like talking about "a jar full of kilometres" or "a bag of angles coated in hours and imbued with prime numbers mixed with densities."
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Jan 09, 2011 5:17 am

Power Bracelets are a fuckload of complete bullshit and anyone who thinks they work is deluded beyond return. They are a cheap piece of plastic that must sell for major profits. The company who makes them is obviously lying and have been forced to admit it publicly in Australia.

Its amazing how someone as smart as Andrew Strauss would fall for it, or maybe he is paid :eh: (I hope so anyway)
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Paul » Feb 01, 2011 7:26 pm

BBC's One Show has just shown a piece about this. It shoud be available on iPlayer later.

Some UK stockists have only just found out (thanks to the BBC) about the lack of science behind the claims on the packaging!
A couple have withdrawn it from sale until the packaging is changed to remove the pseudo-scientific claims, but IIRC, Next are apparently continuing to sell it because it is endorsed by some celeb sportsmen.

I'm shocked that Trading Standards haven't stomped on this.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby twistor59 » Nov 22, 2011 8:44 pm

It's all over

Power Balance, the company that would have led you to believe their hologram-embedded bracelets could give you super-human balance and strength, is going to pay out $57 million to settle a class action lawsuit filed by buyers of the product, TMZ reported.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Nov 23, 2011 1:40 am

Good riddance. Worst scam of the year.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby tolman » Nov 23, 2011 1:44 am

Pity they're not up for criminal fraud, rather than just civil action.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience