The people who believe in medical miracles

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby DougC » Mar 10, 2014 2:04 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26483156
B.B.C. Article
There are evangelical Christians who believe that medical miracles are a reality, writes Jolyon Jenkins.
"Can I put my hand on your face?", asks Alun Leppitt.
Alun is the pastor of a Pentecostal church in Southampton. He's a burly man who works as a video editor to pay the bills, but his passion is curing people through the power of prayer. I don't have much wrong with me apart from a nagging mouth ulcer, but he's willing to give it a go.
"We command this mouth ulcer to go, in the name of Jesus," he says, palm on my cheek. "We command any pain, infection or trauma to go."

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The people who believe in medical miracles

#2  Postby laklak » Mar 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Yep, 'cuz them bacterias are surely ascairt of Jebus, Lawd Lawd.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DoctorE » Mar 11, 2014 9:04 am

:insane:
There are evangelical Christians who believe that medical miracles are a reality, writes Jolyon Jenkins.

"Can I put my hand on your face?", asks Alun Leppitt.

Alun is the pastor of a Pentecostal church in Southampton. He's a burly man who works as a video editor to pay the bills, but his passion is curing people through the power of prayer. I don't have much wrong with me apart from a nagging mouth ulcer, but he's willing to give it a go.

"We command this mouth ulcer to go, in the name of Jesus," he says, palm on my cheek. "We command any pain, infection or trauma to go."

I don't like to disappoint Alun, but I can't feel any difference. He has two more attempts but there's no change.

But mouth ulcers are small beer for him, and he's not interested in small psychosomatic effects. He and his wife Donna tell me of a woman who had a child despite having had a hysterectomy - of people with advanced cancer who suddenly become well after prayer.

From another healer, Ian Andrew in Somerset, I heard of a woman who got a new heart as a result of prayer.

"Literally, a new heart?"

"Yes."

"What happened to the old one?"

"It was replaced."

These claims are, by any standards, implausible. But in the world of Pentecostal healing, no-one worries about that. In fact, the more impossible the miracle (and they use the term without embarrassment) the better, because it's more effective for spreading their message.

Continues: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26483156
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Darkchilde » Mar 14, 2014 8:41 am

And of course, noone has any evidence for this. No medical scans before or after, nothing at all.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 14, 2014 8:46 am

Darkchilde wrote:And of course, noone has any evidence for this. No medical scans before or after, nothing at all.

That is what it is all about DC, evidence-free claims! :doh:

:thumbup:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience