Wibble Merchants

or not ?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Wibble Merchants

#1  Postby twistor59 » Dec 11, 2011 2:55 pm

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/2011/12/11/in-physics-telling-cranks-from-experts-aint-easy/

My favorite modern paradoxer was the British astronomer Fred Hoyle, who coined the term “big bang” (although he loathed the theory) and helped elucidate how light elements fuse into heavy ones in the cores of stars. He once tried to convince me that the AIDS virus was a U.S. military experiment that had gone awry, and that flu viruses came from outer space. To paraphrase Alexander Solzhenitsyn: The line between brilliance and looniness runs through every great scientist’s brain.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Wibble Merchants

#2  Postby cavarka9 » Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

he left his mail ID, hahahahaha, I might just push some stuff in, lots of thermodynamic equations. :lol: :whistle:
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 15, 2011 4:47 am

Meanwhile, it might be apposite for everyone posting here to take a peek at this earlier thread. Not quite the same subject, but related, and therefore apposite. In particular, I invite everyone to read my little dissertation about P. M. S. Blackett. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby twistor59 » Dec 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Meanwhile, it might be apposite for everyone posting here to take a peek at this earlier thread. Not quite the same subject, but related, and therefore apposite. In particular, I invite everyone to read my little dissertation about P. M. S. Blackett. :)

Nice - I hadn't heard that story before. Presumably this is the Blackett whom the physics lab at Imperial College is named ?

As a fellow Liverpudlian we can only co-commiserate that our physics lab was named after a guy who spent a lot of time trying to perform experiments to demonstrate spiritualism. Well OK he did some good stuff too....
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 21, 2011 4:03 am

I think it's the one and the same. :)

Oh, who's the guy the Liverpool lab is named after?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Kaleid » Dec 21, 2011 4:27 am

twistor may be talking about the Oliver Lodge Lab...

Demonstrations of the aether, telepathy and whatnot. I remember the name from studying near there, but I don't know enough to say whether he was truly a woo-meister or just a curious misguided scientist :dunno:

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience