penal substitutionary atonement

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

penal substitutionary atonement

#1  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Deep down, I think many sola scriptura believers feel the shakiness of their foundations. The defensiveness from so many evangelicals on points of doctrine is, I think, precisely because they know just how tenuous the edifice is. Witness the squalid attacks on British minister Steve Chalke for questioning penal substitutionary atonement. (We must have a thread bashing the shit out of that ghastly torture-worship, sometime. ) An inevitable consequence of making doctrine an individualistic responsibility. By contrast, attacking the teachings of the Magisterium seems to draw airy disdain bordering on indifference from Catholics. When the Vatican's got your back, one ranter isn't a concern.

Ask and ye shall receive!

The religious sacrificial nature of penal policy has fascinated me for a long time.

If we were truly an enlightened rational atheistic nation, we would ask questions about why precisely we do stuff.

The classic clearly religiously based behaviour is of course imprisonment.

I was amazed to discover on criminology that crimes and sins are not the same things.

OK, then why do criminal records last a life time?

What precisely are we doing when we lock someone up?

What is amusing about this is it is so old testament.

Wouldn't a xian penal system be forgiving people?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: penal substitutionary atonement

#2  Postby Gallstones » Mar 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:
Deep down, I think many sola scriptura believers feel the shakiness of their foundations. The defensiveness from so many evangelicals on points of doctrine is, I think, precisely because they know just how tenuous the edifice is. Witness the squalid attacks on British minister Steve Chalke for questioning penal substitutionary atonement. (We must have a thread bashing the shit out of that ghastly torture-worship, sometime. ) An inevitable consequence of making doctrine an individualistic responsibility. By contrast, attacking the teachings of the Magisterium seems to draw airy disdain bordering on indifference from Catholics. When the Vatican's got your back, one ranter isn't a concern.

Ask and ye shall receive!

The religious sacrificial nature of penal policy has fascinated me for a long time.

If we were truly an enlightened rational atheistic nation, we would ask questions about why precisely we do stuff.

The classic clearly religiously based behaviour is of course imprisonment.
Really, how so? Please elaborate.

Clive Durdle wrote:I was amazed to discover on criminology that crimes and sins are not the same things.
Of course not.

Clive Durdle wrote:OK, then why do criminal records last a life time?
Should they all be expunged, for any crime? Can any crime be atoned for by a period of incarceration such that once that period is up the individual can be trusted back into the community with a blank slate?

Clive Durdle wrote:What precisely are we doing when we lock someone up?
At least in some cases, we are removing dangerous persons from society and protecting society from the dangers criminals pose.

Clive Durdle wrote:What is amusing about this is it is so old testament.
Is it, how so? Please elaborate.

Clive Durdle wrote:Wouldn't a xian penal system be forgiving people?
Good point. So maybe the penal system isn't xtian derived at all then?
Gallstones

Print view this post

Return to Sociology