The Social Phenomenon: CHAVS!

Discussions about society in general and social activity.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Social Phenomenon: CHAVS!

#21  Postby amyonyango » Mar 06, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
alienpresence wrote:Chavs are a middle class construct. Council estates are dumping grounds for the physically and mentally disabled, the poor learners, the criminal element or anyone else who just happens to be unlucky to not fit in the mainstream. Is there any wonder that there is multi-generational low aspiration? Then this chav construct is placed on top to save the middle class from feeling shame for their ignorance.

http://tinyurl.com/cmwn2b

That's not actually true. The chav phenomenon has existed for far longer among working class people, under various different names in different parts of the country (townies, neds, charvers, scallies, etc). It has since been cottoned onto by a bunch of middle-class media types, who have used it to engage in a really unpleasant type of snobbery. It now means things that it never used to mean when I used to use the term even in the early 2000s. It used to be (generally) groups of lads who would hang around in modified, but ultimately shit cars like Vauxhall Novas and Citreon Saxos, with speakers more powerful than the engine, and exhausts that are louder than the speakers, wearing tracksuits, oversized brand logos, baseball caps, trainers, hair gelled right forward, oversized jewellery, etc. It really was quite a specific thing, like calling someone a punk or a goth. But it has since started to be used to basically mean anyone who lives on a council estate, anyone who has a baby young, anyone who shops at Iceland, anyone who claims benefits, anyone who does any of the things that shock Daily Mail readers, essentially. But make no mistake, the origins of the social phenomenon are certainly among the people who might have actually set foot on a council estate in their life, not with a bunch of overpaid journalists sat at their desks in London.

But the article does a good job of explaining why such a thing resonates with the middle-class readers of the Daily Bigot.

I used to be a Townie in 1994!

Well it was Townie or Geek where I grew up. And being a geek was just the end of the world, so Townie it was, for a while!

I find it funny that the most judgemental person on my street (I live on a council estate btw) is a lady in her 60's who's lived in the same house for 40 years. She bought it from the council 20 years ago. There are 3 council houses left on our road, and although there are some shady dealing that obviously happen between these houses (one bloke from one of them just went down for 3 years for dealing) the council tennants do not cause any problems or trouble for anyone else in the street. But the lady up the road actively seeks to get the council tennants evicted every day. She told me herself that she deliberately leaves her bedroom window open at night to listen incase of any trouble so she can call the police. She's a typical Daily Mail reader and is such a nasty piece of work that she doesn't speak to her 3 grandchildren who live in the adjoining house with her son and his wife. Apparently because she didn't approve of her son letting the kids play with other kids in the street. These are people who have the "nicest" houses with extensions and conservatories, loft conversions and decking. Trying to remove themselves completely from the "typical council house" type of person. It's very sad sad the kids have to suffer due to petty snobbishness. We all live in the same street, dammit. If she's so bothered about what the neighbours are up to, why the hell doesn't she sell up and move?!
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Name: Amy
Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Robert_S » Mar 06, 2010 10:53 pm

"If you work hard, get an education and apply yourself, you will get ahead"

Does that statement sound plausible to the set of people who end up being called chavs?

Disclaimer: I live in the US and, apart from the internet, have no information on chav culture, but much of what I see looks familiar.

From what I see, it looks like people who see themselves as having limited options and therefore set up different standards for success and failure based on those options. If for whatever reasons, long term investments either aren't feasible or aren't expected to pay off, then it makes perfect sense to buy some overpriced status clothing and cars and party all the time. It would make more sense than buying into a game where you aren't even supposed to win.
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Robert_S wrote:"If you work hard, get an education and apply yourself, you will get ahead"

Does that statement sound plausible to the set of people who end up being called chavs?

Not as such. I think most of the lads that I know that would fit this stereotype aren't particularly academic, and would be more concerned about getting a trade. So they want proper skilled employment, but know they're not going to be getting into university any time soon. The apprenticeship scheme at our biggest employer BAE Systems (building submarines) is always massively oversubscribed. At my workplace, we have a few lads training to be chefs. It's only when the judgemental sections of the media got their hands on the stereotype did it turn into benefit scroungers, teenage parents and drug dealers.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Paul G » Mar 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Robert_S wrote:"If you work hard, get an education and apply yourself, you will get ahead"

It apperas anyone can be called a chav. Also, people identified as chavs can fit your definition.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Sociology