Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth

#1  Postby MattHunX » Mar 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I want some opinion on this movie. I will simply say, not wanting to write an essay, that is EXCELLENT. The best I've seen in years and just at the right time, not long after I joined the whole religion debate thing, and started really thinking about stuff that really matters.

The Man From Earth
is an excellent example of how a low-budget movie, with a small cast, lack of action can be so well done, so exciting and make you think. I have it on my hard-drive and I have watched it about literally almost a hundred times.

Also, I desperately want to get my hands on the book, but it's not up on the net in PDF or anything. It's been said that it goes a bit further in the story than the movie. :drool:
MattHunX

Print view this post

Re: Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth

#2  Postby j.mills » Mar 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Hmm. Mixed reviews on amazon. I've taken a punt on it, so I'm blaming you if I don't like it. :grin:
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby HughMcB » Mar 16, 2010 8:24 pm

I agree that the film is excellent. Perhaps my favorite of 2009. Don't let the low budget feel at the start throw you, its a good 'un!
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Stephen » Mar 16, 2010 9:01 pm

2009? Was it made last year? I've seen it but it definitely feels more like 2-3 years ago that I saw it.

2007. I didn't know the guy was from CSI Miami. That show is fucking HORRIBLE!!!!! :lol:
Stephen

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby br0k3nglass » Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm pretty sure I watched it back in 2007 or 2008. I didn't know what it was about when I started watching it, and was blown away...it was a lot better than I had expected. Some of the dialog was just superb.

Edit: according to imdb, it was released in 2007.
Isn't life a hundred times too short to live it - in a state of boredom?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
br0k3nglass
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby LIFE » Mar 21, 2010 3:55 am

Oh blimey, I wanted to open a thread about it. EXCELLENT movie.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby MattHunX » Mar 21, 2010 8:00 am

LIFE wrote:Oh blimey, I wanted to open a thread about it. EXCELLENT movie.

And that's putting it modestly. :cheers: Damn! I wonder if they ever make something like that again.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#8  Postby j.mills » Mar 28, 2010 10:43 pm

So, bought it, just watched it. Not really a film so much as a play, but a reeeeally interesting play. I like the fact that, in the tradition of Golden-Age SF, it's premised on only one change from reality - if that. And I like that it's a rational discussion between intelligent experts, rather than relying on the audience's ignorance. The budget looks like about $60 but I've seen many a film costing millions that was far less deserving of my time. (Jeez, this week I watched Mr Deeds! :nono: ) More like this! :thumbup: :clap: :dopey:

(In a similar vein, anyone seen The Thirteenth Floor? Covered the same ground as the dross known as The Matrix, but with far more interest and coherence for far less money. Hey, Hollywood: it's all in the script, guys!)

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby LIFE » Mar 28, 2010 11:02 pm

j.mills wrote:(In a similar vein, anyone seen The Thirteenth Floor? Covered the same ground as the dross known as The Matrix, but with far more interest and coherence for far less money. Hey, Hollywood: it's all in the script, guys!)

Yes, seen it, loved it. Doesn't come close to the Matrix though.
The Matrix trilogy has a bazillion (philosophical) references that made it so special (for me), the sad thing is that most people do not seem to get them, especially with the 2nd installment. The architect dialogue was brilliant, imho.
Wherever I go people appreciate the first part but completely dismiss the follow-ups as sellout CGI eyecandy.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#10  Postby j.mills » Mar 28, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm not like that. I dismiss all of them as sellout CGI eyecandy.

Fer cryin' out loud, the premise on which the entire turgid, characterless, humourless edifice is built is that you get more energy out of a human being than you put into one! DUH! - And that, presumably, the same is not true of other mammals, which would not need to have their brains entertained with a virtual universe! - And that, the machines, with the entire surface of the planet at their disposal, can't come up with a better means of generating energy! Gimme strength.

/derail...

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby LIFE » Mar 28, 2010 11:37 pm

j.mills wrote:I'm not like that. I dismiss all of them as sellout CGI eyecandy.

Fer cryin' out loud, the premise on which the entire turgid, characterless, humourless edifice is built is that you get more energy out of a human being than you put into one! DUH! - And that, presumably, the same is not true of other mammals, which would not need to have their brains entertained with a virtual universe! - And that, the machines, with the entire surface of the planet at their disposal, can't come up with a better means of generating energy! Gimme strength.

/derail...

:lol: It's just storytelling...and I liked the story in all its complexity :D
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

The Man from Earth

#12  Postby Eric Aiello » Apr 19, 2010 12:36 am

I'm curious if any of you have seen the film The Man from Earth written by Jerome Brixby. I just pulled it out of my book of DVDs and watched it again for the 4th or 5th time. It's such an awesome freaking movie that I hope you have either seen it or, at least, will be prompted to watch it after this thread. Here is the IMDB page for it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

I'm going to refrain from saying too much about it now until I see if any of you have seen it. Basically it's an hour and twenty minutes long and it shows a long conversation in the living room of a retiring professor. It's so goddamned amazing though.
Eric Aiello

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Man from Earth

#13  Postby HughMcB » Apr 19, 2010 12:42 am

Seen it, great film.

I think there could be other threads about it too.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby CookieJon » Apr 19, 2010 1:03 am

Eric Aiello wrote:Basically it's an hour and twenty minutes too long....

Fixed! :grin:
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Eric Aiello » Apr 19, 2010 1:04 am

I'm going to revive this thread. I just started my own without first searching for a pre-existing thread...

Anyway, I'm glad to see that others here have seen this. I just finished watching it for the fourth or fifth time and I was as blown away as I was the first time. It goes to show how a film isn't about the effects. The story in this... the entire premise of this film is fascinating and the dialogue enjoyable.

And the religious discussion here... damn, if it isn't interesting, then I don't know what is.
Eric Aiello

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Eric Aiello » Apr 19, 2010 1:06 am

HughMcB wrote:Seen it, great film.

I think there could be other threads about it too.

My bad. I just did a search and found one. Feel free to delete this thread - I commented in the other one.

Cookiejon, I assume you didn't like it? haha
Eric Aiello

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby MattHunX » Apr 19, 2010 5:41 am

Eric Aiello wrote:I'm curious if any of you have seen the film The Man from Earth written by Jerome Brixby. I just pulled it out of my book of DVDs and watched it again for the 4th or 5th time. It's such an awesome freaking movie that I hope you have either seen it or, at least, will be prompted to watch it after this thread. Here is the IMDB page for it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

I'm going to refrain from saying too much about it now until I see if any of you have seen it. Basically it's an hour and twenty minutes long and it shows a long conversation in the living room of a retiring professor. It's so goddamned amazing though.

Yeah, literally about 50 times. Awesome! :cheers:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#18  Postby MattHunX » Apr 19, 2010 5:43 am

Eric Aiello wrote:I'm going to revive this thread. I just started my own without first searching for a pre-existing thread...

Anyway, I'm glad to see that others here have seen this. I just finished watching it for the fourth or fifth time and I was as blown away as I was the first time. It goes to show how a film isn't about the effects. The story in this... the entire premise of this film is fascinating and the dialogue enjoyable.

And the religious discussion here... damn, if it isn't interesting, then I don't know what is.

I have a poll on it somewhere, whether one can sooner go with John's story than what's in the Bible

THE POLL
general-faith/what-would-you-sooner-believe-one-story-vs-another-t4577.html
MattHunX

Print view this post

#19  Postby andyx1205 » Apr 19, 2010 8:01 am

Here's the theme song from that film:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYUHBT0UaGM[/youtube]

The ending of the film was great.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby CookieJon » Apr 19, 2010 8:11 am

andyx1205 wrote:The ending of the film was great.

You didn't think it was a little too.. er.. "Hallmark"?
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment