Need recommendations for general religious studies

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Need recommendations for general religious studies

#1  Postby Mac_Guffin » Apr 07, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm curious to learn more about all the world's religions, but mostly about the Abrahamic religions and the ones involved with them (like the Ba'alites, etc.).
Where should I start?
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Need recommendations for general religious studies

#2  Postby br0k3nglass » Apr 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:I'm curious to learn more about all the world's religions, but mostly about the Abrahamic religions and the ones involved with them (like the Ba'alites, etc.).
Where should I start?

I would recommend The Masks of God series by Joseph Campbell, although I think some of the ideas in the series are a little dated. Campbell wrote the series for North Americans because he came back from visiting the Orient and realized how little us westerners really know about world mythology.

Your best bet would probably be finding a good religious studies textbook. Oxford University Press has a bunch of Very Short Introductions for most of the major world religions that may also be helpful.
Isn't life a hundred times too short to live it - in a state of boredom?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
br0k3nglass
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 07, 2010 10:22 pm

br0k3nglass wrote:Your best bet would probably be finding a good religious studies textbook. Oxford University Press has a bunch of Very Short Introductions for most of the major world religions that may also be helpful.

I also endorse the OUP's VSI series. It has Christianity, Islam and Judaism, as well as The Bible and the Koran, Theology, the New Testament as Literature, the Apocryphal Gospels and the Dead Sea Scrolls. I think there are also ones on Islamic Society (or History, something like that) and Puritanism.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mac_Guffin » Apr 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks for the recommendations so far... and thanksin advance to any more I get. :thumbup:
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby j.mills » Apr 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Karen Armstrong's A History Of God covers the development of the Abrahamics, though it's a bit dry. The apophatic theology she espouses these days is vacuous and there's a little of that towards the end of this book; but my impression is that the history's okay.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 07, 2010 11:14 pm

If you're interested in history, Diarmaid MacCulloch did an excellent (in my opinion) documentary series on a history of Christianity, to which there is a book of also. Pricey though.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment