Photography Question: What's A Good Digital Camera?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Photography Question: What's A Good Digital Camera?

#21  Postby CJ » Mar 13, 2010 10:16 am

For those interested there is a photography thread here at Rationalia that deals with a number of technical and software issues http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7895#p7895

Regards
Chris
What star sign are you? Please tick you star sign in a tiny bit of ongoing research. :)
CJ

Name: Chris(topher)
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Oliver » Mar 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Thank you everyone. :cheers: I'll take a look at the Olympus 'Tough' cameras, and the Fuji Finepix S8000 FD.

(P.S. Beautiful macro shots...)
Oliver

Print view this post

#23  Postby whe » Mar 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Don't forget what I said about a tripod though. You'll only get blurred close-ups without one, because of camera shake when hand held.
whe

Print view this post

#24  Postby CJ » Mar 14, 2010 12:11 pm

whe wrote:Don't forget what I said about a tripod though. You'll only get blurred close-ups without one, because of camera shake when hand held.

Don't forget what I said about the tripod, you'll give up lugging it about, use flash on the camera, it's free and you don't have to carry it around. :grin:
What star sign are you? Please tick you star sign in a tiny bit of ongoing research. :)
CJ

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#25  Postby whe » Mar 15, 2010 12:51 am

CJ wrote:
whe wrote:Don't forget what I said about a tripod though. You'll only get blurred close-ups without one, because of camera shake when hand held.

Don't forget what I said about the tripod, you'll give up lugging it about, use flash on the camera, it's free and you don't have to carry it around. :grin:

Sorry CJ I skimmed and didn't see your previous posts.

Firstly I have no problem carrying a tripod around..but that's just me..I understand its a pain..I find it a pain sometimes. Also my dig camera is very small and lightweight, which means it's harder to do the breath thing and to gently squeeze the shutter release button, without shake. I'm generally more into video.

But with regards your point about flash, I dislike the effect it has on a lot of subjects..and I still think to get total pin sharp shots, au naturelle, a tripod is best; but those are great images you posted.
whe

Print view this post

#26  Postby Robert_S » Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm

whe wrote:
CJ wrote:

Sorry CJ I skimmed and didn't see your previous posts.

Firstly I have no problem carrying a tripod around..but that's just me..I understand its a pain..I find it a pain sometimes. Also my dig camera is very small and lightweight, which means it's harder to do the breath thing and to gently squeeze the shutter release button, without shake. I'm generally more into video.

But with regards your point about flash, I dislike the effect it has on a lot of subjects..and I still think to get total pin sharp shots, au naturelle, a tripod is best; but those are great images you posted.

Has anyone used one of those "monopods"?

One technique I've found helped me was carrying a really small tripod.

When i want to take a shot from eye level, I extend the legs of it, but leave them together and press them against my shoulder to shoot rifle style. It gets me about 10% more steady exposure time.
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby CJ » Mar 15, 2010 7:07 pm

The lightest and cheapest method of stabilising a camera is a piece of string. Tie it around the lens and tie a loop in the other end that is big enough for your foot. Adjust the length to suit and then pull UP tensioning the string. Try it, it works surprisingly well.
CJ

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Paul G » Mar 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Panasonic Lumix range, I'm so impressed with mine. Easy to use if you're a novice and nice clear and crisp pics.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Teshi » Mar 21, 2010 3:16 pm

If he wants close-ups a tripod is totally essential. It's a complete waste of time trying to take a decent close-up without one.

I have a Canon PowerShot S315, which isn't compact by any definition, but it manual focuses pretty well and I find it takes excellent close-ups. I actually prefer the close-ups it takes to the more landscapey photos.
Teshi

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to The Arts & Entertainment