Reza Aslan - The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Reza Aslan - The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam.

#1  Postby Juliuseizure » Jul 20, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm 70 pages into the book and have hit a snag whereby it sounds as though the author is diverging from mainstream Islam to a high degree. It's very well written and a fascinating guide in many ways but these divergences set alarm bells ringing. I did some research into the author, Reza Aslan, and notice he "fled" the Iranian Islamic revolution. Not sure why...

This book has been translated into 13 languages and named one of the 100 most important books of the last decade. It was also the only interpretive book on Islam on the shelves at Waterstones.

The main divergences so far seem to be that Aslan says the polygyny of the Prophet (pbuh) were the result of attempts at political expediency in order to build ties with other communities through marriage, and that all the Ummah of Yathrib, although practising polygyny because of all the war widows, surely idealised monogamy. He then says that the Qu'ran makes it perfectly clear monogamy is the preferred model for marriage and contradicts itself where it says only have multiple wives "if you can treat them all equally" (4:3) and then "you will never be able to treat your wives equally" (4:129) which is evidence the polygyny of the early Ummah should be taken in historical context and should not be practised in the modern day, a view, the author states, which is held by the overwhelming majority of the modern Ummah. Well, I've read the verses of the Qu'ran he quotes and his translation seems highly debatable - the terms "equal" and "equally" are not used in both verses.

The author then goes on to say that the Hadith relayed by Umar (who's authority we Shia do not validate but still...) regarding the punishing of adulterers and the mindfulness of observing hijab are probably complete fabrications brought about by Umar's misogynistic tendencies.

I find the idea that the Prophet pbuh only married multiple women in order to build political allegiances and that the Quran contradicts itself to that end...disconcerting. I also find the idea that the Hijab wearing in Iran is solely a product of Umar's mysogyny quite insulting.

The author then writes that the Quran was largely a product of the cultural values around at the time anyway, so presumably nothing it says should be taken particularly seriously. I stopped reading at that point.

Here's a quote from the author: "A lot of scholars, myself included, believe the future of Islam, especially Islamic democracy, rests in the Shia world. It's Iran and Iraq where the most exciting experiments are being carried out." Well, at least we agree about one thing.
Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Reza Aslan - The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam.

#2  Postby Clive Durdle » Jul 20, 2011 3:55 pm

The author then goes on to say that the Hadith relayed by Umar (who's authority we Shia do not validate but still...) regarding the punishing of adulterers and the mindfulness of observing hijab are probably complete fabrications brought about by Umar's misogynistic tendencies.

...... I also find the idea that the Hijab wearing in Iran is solely a product of Umar's mysogyny quite insulting.

Why do you find it insulting? He is wrong.

The idea of modesty is in fact a response to the Greek medical idea that women's hair contains semen.

[Troy W. Martin's JBL article, "Paul's Argument from Nature for the Veil in 1 Corinthians 11:13-15: A Testicle Instead of a Head Covering," (JBL 123/1 [2004] 75 84) was discussed in the May 2004 issue of The Christian Century. Members may read the complete JBL article online by clicking Publications, Journals, then Journal of Biblical Literature.]

Paul: Female hair too sexy to go unveiled

The apostle Paul wanted women to cover their tresses while praying because he — like the rest of Hellenistic culture then — believed that the long hair of adult females was the sexual equivalent of male testicles, according to a newly published study.

Citing writings from Aristotle, Euripedes and the disciples of Hippocrates, the "father of medicine," Troy W. Martin of St. Xavier University in Chicago said that Paul reflected the physiology of his time in believing that the hair of adult women "is part of female genitalia." Martin's article appears in the spring issue of the Journal of Biblical Literature...

http://www.sbl-site.org/publications/ar ... icleId=271
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Juliuseizure » Jul 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Well done Mr Durdle, once again your onions are thoroughly assessed.

There's a difference between "women's hair is sexy" and "women's hair contains semen" though still! :lol:

Perhaps the "women's hair is sexy" meme is derived from the fact females rarely undergo androgenic alopecia - so their abundant head hair is a signal of their gender and to that end, their sex.
Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Juliuseizure » Jul 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:

...... I also find the idea that the Hijab wearing in Iran is solely a product of Umar's mysogyny quite insulting.

The caliphate of Umar is not recognised in Shia Islam, so that the Islamic Republic of Iran would base their customs on his mandate undermines the veracity of the Shia tradition.
Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Varangian » Jul 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:

The idea of modesty is in fact a response to the Greek medical idea that women's hair contains semen.

[Troy W. Martin's JBL article, "Paul's Argument from Nature for the Veil in 1 Corinthians 11:13-15: A Testicle Instead of a Head Covering," (JBL 123/1 [2004] 75 84) was discussed in the May 2004 issue of The Christian Century. Members may read the complete JBL article online by clicking Publications, Journals, then Journal of Biblical Literature.]

Paul: Female hair too sexy to go unveiled

The apostle Paul wanted women to cover their tresses while praying because he — like the rest of Hellenistic culture then — believed that the long hair of adult females was the sexual equivalent of male testicles, according to a newly published study.

Citing writings from Aristotle, Euripedes and the disciples of Hippocrates, the "father of medicine," Troy W. Martin of St. Xavier University in Chicago said that Paul reflected the physiology of his time in believing that the hair of adult women "is part of female genitalia." Martin's article appears in the spring issue of the Journal of Biblical Literature...

http://www.sbl-site.org/publications/ar ... icleId=271

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#6  Postby cavarka9 » Jul 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Juliuseizure wrote:I'm 70 pages into the book and have hit a snag whereby it sounds as though the author is diverging from mainstream Islam to a high degree. It's very well written and a fascinating guide in many ways but these divergences set alarm bells ringing. I did some research into the author, Reza Aslan, and notice he "fled" the Iranian Islamic revolution. Not sure why...

This book has been translated into 13 languages and named one of the 100 most important books of the last decade. It was also the only interpretive book on Islam on the shelves at Waterstones.

The main divergences so far seem to be that Aslan says the polygyny of the Prophet (pbuh) were the result of attempts at political expediency in order to build ties with other communities through marriage, and that all the Ummah of Yathrib, although practising polygyny because of all the war widows, surely idealised monogamy. He then says that the Qu'ran makes it perfectly clear monogamy is the preferred model for marriage and contradicts itself where it says only have multiple wives "if you can treat them all equally" (4:3) and then "you will never be able to treat your wives equally" (4:129) which is evidence the polygyny of the early Ummah should be taken in historical context and should not be practised in the modern day, a view, the author states, which is held by the overwhelming majority of the modern Ummah. Well, I've read the verses of the Qu'ran he quotes and his translation seems highly debatable - the terms "equal" and "equally" are not used in both verses.

I find the idea that the Prophet pbuh only married multiple women in order to build political allegiances and that the Quran contradicts itself to that end...disconcerting. I also find the idea that the Hijab wearing in Iran is solely a product of Umar's mysogyny quite insulting.

The author then writes that the Quran was largely a product of the cultural values around at the time anyway, so presumably nothing it says should be taken particularly seriously. I stopped reading at that point.

Here's a quote from the author: "A lot of scholars, myself included, believe the future of Islam, especially Islamic democracy, rests in the Shia world. It's Iran and Iraq where the most exciting experiments are being carried out." Well, at least we agree about one thing.

It is important to translate in in many modern forms and flood them and give it a spin of glowing approval, we can win this war if the translations are up to modern standards, then when ordinary muslims read, they will choose the more moral one over the other one.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Clive Durdle » Jul 20, 2011 6:33 pm

onions?
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Juliuseizure » Jul 20, 2011 6:38 pm

"you know your onions".
Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Juliuseizure » Jul 20, 2011 7:04 pm

cavarka9 wrote:
Juliuseizure wrote:I'm 70 pages into the book and have hit a snag whereby it sounds as though the author is diverging from mainstream Islam to a high degree. It's very well written and a fascinating guide in many ways but these divergences set alarm bells ringing. I did some research into the author, Reza Aslan, and notice he "fled" the Iranian Islamic revolution. Not sure why...

It is important to translate in in many modern forms and flood them and give it a spin of glowing approval, we can win this war if the translations are up to modern standards, then when ordinary muslims read, they will choose the more moral one over the other one.

I think I agree he is choosing his translation, but this concept of "glowing moral approval" is up for debate. I think polygyny and the criminalisation of adultery is morally superior; Aslan does not (apparently), and so his interpretation is partisan feminist bigotry IMO and should be opposed. I can see why he would massage the ego of monogamous mainstream USA though, given that is his abode and the country which "sheltered him" from the revolution of his countrymen.
Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Clive Durdle » Jul 20, 2011 7:45 pm

A revolution I understand not many Iranians actually wanted. Yes they wanted to get rid of the Shah, but I don't think they wanted Khomeni. Hussein asked the Shah shall I assassinate Khomeni for you, the Shah declined the offer!
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jul 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Varangian wrote:

:lol: :lol:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#12  Postby Juliuseizure » Jul 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:A revolution I understand not many Iranians actually wanted. Yes they wanted to get rid of the Shah, but I don't think they wanted Khomeni. Hussein asked the Shah shall I assassinate Khomeni for you, the Shah declined the offer!

Even the Shah respected Khomeini. This is the current figurehead of Iran. Doesn't he look evil?

Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 22, 2011 2:32 am

Looks are important?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Grace » Jul 22, 2011 6:21 am

"The idea of modesty is in fact a response to the Greek medical idea that women's hair contains semen"... HUH?

Well, Khomeini's evil black turban was pumped up using pussy farts!
Grace

Print view this post

#15  Postby Juliuseizure » Jul 22, 2011 8:11 am

Onyx8 wrote:Looks are important?

Not really, I just find it quite striking how friendly he appears...compared to Sistani and Khomeini for example.

Khamenei suffers from paralysis in his right arm following a failed assassination attempt in 1981. A bomb was hidden inside a portable tape recorder which exploded next to him at a press conference. This reminds me of the assassination of the Hezballah suicide bombing mastermind who was decapitated by a bomb planted inside his mobile phone - Mossad are good at hiding bombs in small electrical devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Khamenei

Khamenei has taken a firm stand against what has been described as "greatest domestic challenge in 30 years" to the leadership of the Islamic Republic — the 2009 Iranian election protests. He has stated that he will neither reconsider vote results nor bow to public pressure over the disputed reelection of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.[88] "By Allah's favor, the presidential election was accurately held, and the current matters should be pursued legally."[89] In a public appearance on June 19 he expresses his support for the declared winner Ahmadinejad and accused foreign powers — including Britain, Israel and the United States — of helping foment protest against the election results.[90] In particular, he singled out Britain, perceiving the country as the "most evil" of its enemies.
:shifty:
Juliuseizure

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment