William Heath Robinson cartoon collection 'saved' for nation

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

William Heath Robinson cartoon collection 'saved' for nation

#1  Postby DougC » Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32015961#
B.B.C. Article
Grants worth £300,000 have helped stop a large number of works by cartoonist and illustrator William Heath Robinson being sold and potentially broken up.

The collection, which includes many of his best-known WW1 and World War Two cartoons, was put up for sale in 2011.
The 410 drawings and paintings have now been acquired by the William Heath Robinson Trust (WHRT).
The National Heritage Memorial Fund (NHMF) gave a £250,000 grant to assist the purchase.
An additional grant of £50,000 was provided by the Art Fund, the national fundraising charity for art.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: William Heath Robinson cartoon collection 'saved' for nation

#2  Postby Matt_B » Mar 23, 2015 11:53 pm

Thank goodness for that. I've always been a fan of Heath Robinson since there were two of his paintings displayed in the waiting room for the dentist I went to as a child, and I was fascinated looking at the little details of how the bizarre machines he depicted supposedly worked, whilst at the same time realizing that they couldn't possibly do so in the real world.

I think I'll pencil in a visit to the museum if it's open the next time I'm in the UK.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#3  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 24, 2015 12:20 am

Very interesting work. A little bit Terry Gilliam and a little bit Rube Goldberg.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 24, 2015 12:26 am

Loved those as a kid too.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Matt_B » Mar 24, 2015 12:45 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Very interesting work. A little bit Terry Gilliam and a little bit Rube Goldberg.

Both of those came later and were very obviously influence by Heath Robinson, while still developing their own inimitable styles. I'd think that if you like any one of them, you'd probably enjoy the work of all three.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6  Postby smudge » Mar 24, 2015 7:16 am

I'm a fan. I look forward to visiting the new museum when it opens.
They usually have some Heath Robinson work on display at the Beetles gallery when they have one of their semi regular illustration exhibitions.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 24, 2015 6:50 pm

Matt_B wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:Very interesting work. A little bit Terry Gilliam and a little bit Rube Goldberg.

Both of those came later and were very obviously influence by Heath Robinson, while still developing their own inimitable styles. I'd think that if you like any one of them, you'd probably enjoy the work of all three.

Agreed.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment