X-Men: First Class

or, how Magneto became a git

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: X-Men: First Class

#61  Postby Scar » Jun 07, 2011 10:50 am

babel wrote:I kind of liked it. A lot.
Yes, there are some inconsistencies with the other movies, but actually, I don't care.

They are, as far as I know, deliberate. Since X-Men 3 and the Wolverine movie sucked ass, this movie ignores them in an attempt to sort of rewrite the series' continuum.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#62  Postby babel » Jun 07, 2011 10:54 am

Ah, didn't know that was the intention. But what has been seen can't been unseen (unfortunately), so I still had a few 'wait a minute, this doesn't seem right'-moments.
For those who haven't seen the movie and like that genre, I think it's quite enjoyable.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#63  Postby rJD » Jun 07, 2011 10:56 am

babel wrote:The only thing that was a bit of a let down was the ridiculous anticlimax when shaw was killed. Seriously. After absorbing nuclear power, you get killed by a fricking coin without as much as a small POOF? :what:

I agree that it lacked as much dramatic kick as it should have. It was justified in terms of internal consistancy - Shaw could absorb energy and use it to bounce back attempts, so slowly pushing the coin through his brain allowed him to be killed without him using his 'power' but it could have been handled better - I assume they didn't want too much horror, so kiddies to be allowed to watch.

I doubt they're going to ignore X3 or Wolverine entirely, a la Terminator 3, though I'd be happy if they did.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Uberuce » Jun 07, 2011 10:12 pm

babel wrote:The only thing that was a bit of a let down was the ridiculous anticlimax when shaw was killed. Seriously. After absorbing nuclear power, you get killed by a fricking coin without as much as a small POOF? :what:
See, that just served to highlight how much power Charles has. No matter how much of a turbonutterbastard your powers make you, if you can't block out Prof X, you might as well be an anaemic toddler.

And there's no such thing as a 'fricking [any metal object]' when Magneto is nearby. Iron filing > you.
Uberuce

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#65  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 08, 2011 4:44 pm

they should have taken the liberty to change some things, make Magneto the good guy and Charles the bad guy :P

only cause the dude that plays Magneto was awesome, also, Professor X shouldnt have lost the use of his legs in this one, they should have Star Trekked it up and changed some shit :tongue:

:coffee:

edit: the film was awesome btw, but it was too short, 2 measly hours :popcorn:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#66  Postby HughMcB » Jun 08, 2011 5:31 pm

SPMaximus wrote:... also, Professor X shouldnt have lost the use of his legs in this one, they should have Star Trekked it up and changed some shit :tongue:

Actually I agree, the potential to create an alternate universe was awesome. Maybe they still can.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Ironclad » Jun 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Animavore wrote:
HughMcB wrote:
Animavore wrote:At least the guy with the voice wasn't Irish like in the comic. It would've been more cringeworthy. At least for me :P

Did you not hear Magneto's Irish accent breaking through on the beach. I definitely noticed it when he was shouting.

Eh?

Was the guy who played him Irish?

German & Irish parents, I believe. Quite helpful as quite a lot of the scenes were in German, subtitled to English. Clever beggers those casting peeps.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#68  Postby HughMcB » Jun 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Ironclad wrote:
Animavore wrote:
HughMcB wrote:
Did you not hear Magneto's Irish accent breaking through on the beach. I definitely noticed it when he was shouting.

Eh?

German & Irish parents, I believe. Quite helpful as quite a lot of the scenes were in German, subtitled to English. Clever beggers those casting peeps.

Yes his Father is German, worked in a guest house as a chef down in Killarney. So he lived there since he was a young lad. Good thing he lost that foul kerry accent, his is more "generic Irish" accent (which is kind of like mine actually).
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#69  Postby dalv8409 » Jun 11, 2011 5:35 pm

I saw the movie today and I enjoyed the movie a lot, to be honest I like all the x-men films and I don't care that the new movie has done a retcon cause in my opinion continuity is a load of shit in any form of media.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Moonwatcher » Jul 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Uberuce wrote:Here's a possible foible. I disagreed with Animavore's opinion in a thread about Hanna that it breaks suspension of disbelief to have a 50kg teenage girl beating the bejesus out of 100kg trained male fighters. For some reason that doesn't bother me although I agree that it's utter nonsense.

However, it really bothers me when Magneto makes metal fly. The escape in X-Men 2 when he flies on the saucer of blood-metal and the entire Golden Gate bit in 3, for example. I'd really prefer it if his superhero physics exception* was just that he can use himself as a stupendously powerful fulcrum for his metal-moving forces. I've no objection to the way he could pick up the submarine in that trailer, but it feels wrong to me since there's no way the jet could take the weight.

In my head, Magneto-force should be grabbing the sub and the jet and pulling their veritcal position closer together.

*See commentary/features in Watchmen for the physics professor's segment.

I really liked it. I thought it was the best of all the X-Men movies. The series is rife with continuity errors and this one added to them but I enjoyed it the most of any of the X movies.

I had a few issues when the rules of how things work in the setting weren't consistent. At some points such as the sub, there is clearly a direct link between him and whatever he is using his powers on. He tries to hold the sub and is pulled after it. At other times, he does things and it doesn't work that way. I suppose in a movie like this, it comes down to learning to use the powers more skillfully and realizing that with these powers, things don't work the way he always thought they did. I also wondered how he could get that coin through Shaw's head at the end. I suppose Shaw's power must be consciously activated.

There were other things like Darwin (or as a friend put it, his real name was "Plot Device"), the one black character, being the first killed. At the end, all the female characters jump ship to Magneto leaving only the white males as the good guys and one of the females goes only because he told her she was hot looking in her true form, a decision truly based in personal ethics and strength of character.

But still, I liked that it gets the X-Men into the era that really spawned them in the comics, that they didn't have Wolverine there hogging the whole damn movie and loved the performances of most of the actors.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#71  Postby cavarka9 » Jul 15, 2011 12:11 am

AWESOME. FIRST CLASS DUDES AND DUDETTES.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Ironclad » Jul 15, 2011 2:17 am

Uberuce wrote:Here's a possible foible. I disagreed with Animavore's opinion in a thread about Hanna that it breaks suspension of disbelief to have a 50kg teenage girl beating the bejesus out of 100kg trained male fighters. For some reason that doesn't bother me although I agree that it's utter nonsense.

However, it really bothers me when Magneto makes metal fly. The escape in X-Men 2 when he flies on the saucer of blood-metal and the entire Golden Gate bit in 3, for example. I'd really prefer it if his superhero physics exception* was just that he can use himself as a stupendously powerful fulcrum for his metal-moving forces. I've no objection to the way he could pick up the submarine in that trailer, but it feels wrong to me since there's no way the jet could take the weight.

In my head, Magneto-force should be grabbing the sub and the jet and pulling their veritcal position closer together.

*See commentary/features in Watchmen for the physics professor's segment.

Magneto generates magnetic fields, he could for example 'remotely' physically lift enormous weights, push things away or towards him. But his primary power is the manipulation of Earth's magnetic field, the submarine isn't dragging him or the aircraft down it is more like he is willing the Earth to reject the object.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jul 15, 2011 3:16 am

HughMcB wrote:
SPMaximus wrote:... also, Professor X shouldnt have lost the use of his legs in this one, they should have Star Trekked it up and changed some shit :tongue:

Actually I agree, the potential to create an alternate universe was awesome. Maybe they still can.

I only just saw this - man, I hope they make a movie based on the Apocalypse alternate universe... :eager:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#74  Postby Gallstones » Jul 15, 2011 3:27 am

Magneto is hotter than Prof X.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#75  Postby Mazille » Jul 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Ironclad wrote:
Animavore wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

Eh?

The German in the movie was fucking pathetic, though. Apart from the swineherd and the tailor, who - I think - were the only actual Germans.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to The Arts & Entertainment