Electricity on Shabbat in Jewish law

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Electricity on Shabbat in Jewish law

#21  Postby Kuia » Nov 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Abele Derer wrote: claimed that God commanded millions of their ancestors on Mount Sinai that they must keep Sabbath. If your scenario is true, then the Jews would have rejected the Torah. They would have said, "How can you claim that millions of our ancestors, the entire nation, was commanded to keep the Sabbath,...

There were millions on Mount Sinai?
Kuia

Print view this post

#22  Postby Kuia » Nov 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Abele Derer wrote: Where is God genocidal in the Old Testament? Although God commands the Jews to eradicate certain nations, the Oral Tradition states that the Jews were required to allow anyone who followed the "Seven Noahide Laws" to live. So only evil people were killed.

Have you looked up the meaning of 'genocide' lately?
Are you seriously claiming it's not genocide if the killers think the victims are evil? Think about that for a second or two, casting your mind back about 65 years...
Kuia

Print view this post

#23  Postby Abele Derer » Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm

I assume your response was to my third point. Are you surrenduring to my first two points? Regarding your point (that there seems to be a contradiction between the Oral Tradition and the verses in Joshua), please see the classic commentators on this very point. Specifically, Rabbi David Kimchi. If you do not find his response compelling, please explain why.
Abele Derer

Print view this post

#24  Postby z8000783 » Nov 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Abele Derer wrote:First of all, the Sabbath - the fact that all Jews keep the same Sabbath - serves as proof for the truths of Judaism. You skeptics claim that some later dude invented the Sabbath, and, istead of taking the credit for himself, claimed that God commanded millions of their ancestors on Mount Sinai that they must keep Sabbath. If your scenario is true, then the Jews would have rejected the Torah. They would have said, "How can you claim that millions of our ancestors, the entire nation, was commanded to keep the Sabbath, while we haven't heard of the damn thing from our ancestors." It is for this very reason that the Sabbath is given such prominence in the Torah, and it incurs the death penalty, because it serves as one of the strongest proofs for Judaism.

Second, this whole blog is shockingly stupid. Your basically claiming that "since we can't understand why God would care if we light a match, it therefore must be that God did not command us not to light a match." Does that sound logical to you? If so read it again.

Hi

I must say I am extremely ignorant of Jewish law so perhaps you would take a moment to tell me what this is all about so that I don't come away with the wrong impression.

Main article: Shabbat elevator

Operating an elevator is generally prohibited for multiple reasons. However, Shabbat elevators have been designed automatically to travel from one floor to the next regardless of whether a human is riding the elevator or not, so many authorities permit the use of such elevators under certain circumstances.

Thanks

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Kuia » Nov 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Abele Derer wrote:I assume your response was to my third point. Are you surrenduring to my first two points? Regarding your point (that there seems to be a contradiction between the Oral Tradition and the verses in Joshua), please see the classic commentators on this very point. Specifically, Rabbi David Kimchi. If you do not find his response compelling, please explain why.

Who is this addressed to?
Kuia

Print view this post

#26  Postby jaydot » Nov 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Operating an elevator is generally prohibited for multiple reasons. However, Shabbat elevators have been designed automatically to travel from one floor to the next regardless of whether a human is riding the elevator or not, so many authorities permit the use of such elevators under certain circumstances.

and damn the expense, eh?
jaydot

Print view this post

#27  Postby james1v » Nov 16, 2010 12:35 am

Sounds very much like the inventors suffered obsessive, compulsive, disorder. :coffee:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Alan B » Dec 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Abele Derer wrote:This is a response to Trouble76's point. You claim that you don't want to serve the Bible's God, since He is genocidal.

1. Why? Do you not have a selfish bone in your body? This "genocidal" God promises you eternal reward, and you still ignore His word!
My Bold.
Promises, promises, already! I have no belief that this 'God' ever said anything to anybody. And people who claim this nonsense are just trying to persuade the gullible and easily led.
Abele Derer wrote:
3. Where is God genocidal in the Old Testament? Although God commands the Jews to eradicate certain nations, the Oral Tradition states that the Jews were required to allow anyone who followed the "Seven Noahide Laws" to live. So only evil people were killed.

How is the following not genocide?
"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox, and sheep, camel and ass,"(Samuel I, 15:3)
According to you it's OK because they upset 'God'. Yeuk!
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Berthold » Dec 23, 2010 11:05 am

Alan B wrote:How is the following not genocide?
"Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox, and sheep, camel and ass,"(Samuel I, 15:3)

Why include the farm animals?
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#30  Postby trubble76 » Dec 23, 2010 11:34 am

Abele Derer wrote:This is a response to Trouble76's point. You claim that you don't want to serve the Bible's God, since He is genocidal.

1. Why? Do you not have a selfish bone in your body? This "genocidal" God promises you eternal reward, and you still ignore His word! I am impressed by your willingness to sacrifice to principle, but I doubt you really thought about the implications of your position.
2. Assuming it is God who created and sustains all life, why would it be "genocidal" for God Himself to decide to end those very lives before the "average" lifespan of, say, seventy years?
3. Where is God genocidal in the Old Testament? Although God commands the Jews to eradicate certain nations, the Oral Tradition states that the Jews were required to allow anyone who followed the "Seven Noahide Laws" to live. So only evil people were killed.

Thanks for almost getting my name nearly correct.
1) I do not bow to bullies, especially non-existant ones. I take it you only do good, moral things because of this promised reward? Not very moral is it?
2)Big assumption, I have lived perfectly well without any god, and anticipate that continuing. I will not worship non-existant, bullies.
3)Ah, murder is good when god commands it? You can take that and wedge it up your decalogue.

Judaism is digusting.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Alan B » Dec 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Berthold wrote:
Alan B wrote:How is the following not genocide?

Why include the farm animals?

'Cos Gawd said so, see?

Perhaps the farm animals shat and 'harvested' food on the Sabbath... :scratch:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Shuggy » Jan 18, 2011 9:06 am

Tyrannical wrote:Jesus Christ tried to explain the silliness of following the letter of the law to that extreme by performing healing miracles on the Sabbath.
Reportedly. He also reportedly picked some grain and ate it to make the same point. Now which of those stories can I believe? Mmm, tough.
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Shuggy » Jan 18, 2011 9:19 am

Abele Derer wrote:First of all, the Sabbath - the fact that all Jews keep the same Sabbath - serves as proof for the truths of Judaism. You skeptics claim that some later dude invented the Sabbath, and, istead of taking the credit for himself, claimed that God commanded millions of their ancestors on Mount Sinai that they must keep Sabbath.
No, it seems quite reasonable to assume that the division of time into seven-day blocks happened about the time they say it did, and quite unreasonable that the Creator of the Universe had any hand in it. Since the Jewish calendar is lunar, it seems highly probably that seven days was chosen as a quarter of a lunar month. As for the day being constant from that time to this, we can't be at all sure that it was. Who'se to say they didn't miss one 2354 years ago, or add a few 468 years earlier?
If your scenario is true, then the Jews would have rejected the Torah. They would have said, "How can you claim that millions of our ancestors, the entire nation, was commanded to keep the Sabbath, while we haven't heard of the damn thing from our ancestors." It is for this very reason that the Sabbath is given such prominence in the Torah, and it incurs the death penalty, because it serves as one of the strongest proofs for Judaism.
I just can't make sense of this, of how it proves anything. Does the fact that all Americans use the same voltage prove the truth of America, or electricity?

Second, this whole blog is shockingly stupid. Your basically claiming that "since we can't understand why God would care if we light a match, it therefore must be that God did not command us not to light a match." Does that sound logical to you? If so read it again.
No, more like; since caring so much more about whether people strike a match than whether they commit genocide is patently pathological, the character of the Creator of the Universe becomes untenable.
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#34  Postby lpetrich » Feb 13, 2011 6:42 pm

There's an even worse problem: our energy metabolism. It involves disassembling food molecules and transferring electrons from them to oxygen molecules, while tapping their energy. So our energy metabolism is thus much like both electricity and fire.

This energy metabolism we share with most of the rest of eukaryotedom and even with many prokaryotes. Plant/algal/bacterial photosynthesis also involves electron transfer, with photons trapped by chlorophyll molecules energizing those electrons.

Electron transport chain - Wikipedia

But an Orthodox Jew might argue that energy metabolism is continuously running, and is thus not a Sabbath violation.

Neurons also operate by electricity, which also may be interpreted as a Sabbath violation. But these also are continuously running.
lpetrich

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Onyx8 » Feb 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Probably not too many neurons operating in this case, though.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#36  Postby DoctorE » Apr 06, 2011 9:42 am

Here they are with the stupid elevator
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Psf6atoivI[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Alan B » Apr 06, 2011 12:13 pm

DoctorE wrote:Here they are with the stupid elevator
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Psf6atoivI[/youtube]

What a fucking waste of the worlds energy recources.
Morons.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby lordshipmayhem » Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Abele Derer wrote:I assume your response was to my third point. Are you surrenduring to my first two points? Regarding your point (that there seems to be a contradiction between the Oral Tradition and the verses in Joshua), please see the classic commentators on this very point. Specifically, Rabbi David Kimchi. If you do not find his response compelling, please explain why.

To be accurate, I myself am still stuck on the claim that an all-powerful supernatural being exists.

We have not one jot of intrinsic evidence supporting the existence of supernatural power. Not even the lowest wattage of supernatural power. All we have so far is the "natural" power that obeys the laws of physics.

So your logic is failing at that point What does it matter what this group claims or that group claims is the nature of the supreme, omnipotent being? They haven't demonstrated supporting evidence of existence, and they're arguing about the nature of this being. You might as well argue about what colour the Easter Bunny's fur is.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 06, 2011 2:54 pm

I just saved 14% off my tenets electricty bill.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby 95Theses » Apr 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Tyrannical wrote:Image

I just saved 14% off my tenets electricty bill.

If that was a deliberate spelling mistake it was quite smart.

If you just can't spell tenant, then carry on as you were :cheers:
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Other Religions & Belief Systems