Electricity on Shabbat in Jewish law

Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Paganism, Taoism etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Electricity on Shabbat in Jewish law

#41  Postby Alan B » Apr 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Is one allowed to shit and flush the toilet on the Shabbat? Or is the toilet continually being flushed?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#42  Postby InDeoRideo » Apr 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Forget that, they don't cut toilet paper on sabbath.
InDeoRideo

Male

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Alan B » Apr 06, 2011 4:51 pm

InDeoRideo wrote:Forget that, they don't cut toilet paper on sabbath.

So what do they do? Stick a cork up it?

Ah, no. The can't do that because that would be doing work...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby 95Theses » Apr 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Alan B wrote:

Don't give them any ideas

If they genuinely believed that god wanted them to literally lie in bed all day and shit themselves, some of these lunatics would be buying a new mattress every week.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby InDeoRideo » Apr 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Alan B wrote:

They cut it before sabbath or buy it cut.

In the Talmud there's even a discourse about the size of the stone with which you can wipe your arse on sabbath. :?
InDeoRideo

Male

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Alan B » Apr 06, 2011 5:09 pm

InDeoRideo wrote:
Alan B wrote:

In the Talmud there's even a discourse about the size of the stone with which you can wipe your arse on sabbath. :?

Yeah. But what about the flushing bit?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 07, 2011 4:19 am

It just boggles my mind that grown men actual discuss this rubbish like it freaking matters. It really is quite depressing.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2011 8:41 am

Onyx8 wrote:It just boggles my mind that grown men actual discuss this rubbish like it freaking matters. It really is quite depressing.

Aw, c'mon, Onyx8. You know it's all a piss-take as far as we are concerned... :)
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 07, 2011 8:48 am

Alan B wrote:
InDeoRideo wrote:
Alan B wrote:

Yeah. But what about the flushing bit?

Automatic toilets have been around for years. They have a little sensor that detects when you approach, and it flushes when you leave.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Kuia » Apr 07, 2011 9:09 am

Tyrannical wrote:]

Automatic toilets have been around for years. They have a little sensor that detects when you approach, and it flushes when you leave.

That wouldn't fit the requirements: the sensor is working hence cannot be used on the sabbath
Kuia

Print view this post

#51  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 07, 2011 9:34 am

Kuia wrote:

That wouldn't fit the requirements: the sensor is working hence cannot be used on the sabbath

Automatic lighting is allowed, and the toilets operate under the same principle.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2011 11:35 am

Tyrannical wrote:
Kuia wrote:

Automatic lighting is allowed, and the toilets operate under the same principle.

Oh, yeah? What's the difference between automatic lighting (allowed) and automatic doors (not allowed)?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Emmeline » Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

Some info on use of automatic things on Shabbat:
http://www.communitym.com/article.asp?article_id=101085

It reads like a "Life of Brian" sketch to me!
Emmeline

Print view this post

#54  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2011 11:46 am

Just watched that video again. :doh:
"The Bible says you shall not create a fire. When you push the button (on the elevator) you create electricity, therefore you are making a fire..."
No you fucking aren't since the electricity is 'already there'.

By that logic if you create a fire before Shabbat and it continues burning on the Shabbat, you are not allowed to warm yourself from its heat?

Suppose the electricity was produced by solar power (God's Lamp in da Sky)? You can't say you are making a fire because that's taking his purpose out of his hands...
:crazy:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Jan wrote:Some info on use of automatic things on Shabbat:
http://www.communitym.com/article.asp?article_id=101085

It reads like a "Life of Brian" sketch to me!

Thanks for the link. Life of Brian is about right.
and when there is a "necessity" to open the door or window, halacha allows doing so with a shinui, meaning, a deviation from the normal way of performing the given the activity, such as by using one's elbow and the like.**
My Bold.
Hilarious! :roll:

**Edit: A head-butt, maybe.
Last edited by Alan B on Apr 08, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 08, 2011 6:52 am

Alan B wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:It just boggles my mind that grown men actual discuss this rubbish like it freaking matters. It really is quite depressing.

Aw, c'mon, Onyx8. You know it's all a piss-take as far as we are concerned... :)

Yes, I do, but those guys with the books tied to their heads don't. And that boggles my mind.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#57  Postby NineBerry » Apr 12, 2011 5:48 pm

German 'thought car' could be driven on Sabbath, Rabbi says

A German-designed car that can be driven by thought alone could allow Jews to drive on the Sabbath, a young Rabbi and artificial intelligence scientist says.

Rabbi Dror Fixler, an electro-optics expert from Bar-Ilan University in Ramat Gan, Israel, told The Local that the distinction between thought and action could mean that driving on the traditional Jewish day of rest was mutar, or permitted.

[...]

http://www.thelocal.de/sci-tech/20110412-34339.html
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby Alan B » Apr 12, 2011 7:06 pm

NineBerry wrote:

A German-designed car that can be driven by thought alone could allow Jews to drive on the Sabbath, a young Rabbi and artificial intelligence scientist says.

Rabbi Dror Fixler, an electro-optics expert from Bar-Ilan University in Ramat Gan, Israel, told The Local that the distinction between thought and action could mean that driving on the traditional Jewish day of rest was mutar, or permitted.

[...]

Wouldn't opening the car door be 'doing work' as is opening a window? And how about fixing the seat-belt? Wouldn't that be contravening 'God's purpose' if they had an accident?

Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Zwaarddijk » Apr 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Alan B wrote:
NineBerry wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't opening the car door be 'doing work' as is opening a window? And how about fixing the seat-belt? Wouldn't that be contravening 'God's purpose' if they had an accident?

Look, it certainly is crazy, but just because we can imagine some idea like "it contravening God's purpose" doesn't mean that's what they think - they do have a fair share of categorizations and "God's purpose" is quite frankly left out. afaict, the seatbelt would be akin to fastening your regular belt - which is permitted. (depending, of course, on how your seatbelt works).
There is a relatively ~regular underlying ruleset, ideas like "God wants us to rest so we shouldn't shit" is just speculations people not aware of how their ruling system works come up with.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#60  Postby HughMcB » Oct 29, 2011 4:54 am

:dopey:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)