Who says FGM is cultural

The Kurds in Iraq don't seem to think so

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Who says FGM is cultural

#1  Postby z8000783 » Aug 18, 2011 6:28 am

ERBIL-Hewlêr, Kurdistan region 'Iraq', — A mullah in Iraqi-Kurdistan talked in a Friday sermon about the new bill against domestic violence that passed the parliament of Iraqi Kurdistan in June.

This law also forbids the practice of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). Various clerics and members of Islamic groups started a campaign against this law and demand from the president of the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) Mr. Massoud Barzani not to sign the bill.

Kurd Net
(and they talk about atheists being angry)

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Re: Who says FGM is cultural

#2  Postby bioeng » Aug 18, 2011 6:36 am

I've heard an Islamist on another forum from Egypt argue that FGM is intended to "control the libido of women" to prevent immorality. :roll: While there is nothing in Islamic texts that encourages FGM, their obsession with regulating people's sexual "morality" leads many to resort to barbaric practices such as this. And as usual, the women are the ones being victimized.

What a bunch of savages.

Of course she is a girl and will be encouraged in this bad world of today, she will have her mobile in front of her father flirting with boys and exchanging love phrases.. The father must sit cross handed in front of her, he must either kill himself if he has the least bit of honour left – saying that if he doesn’t do that he will lose his afterlife (…)- or he must assault his daughter who already has the numbers of the police stored on her mobile, calls this organization or that and complains that her father abuses her. The man will be put in jail for 6 months,www.ekurd.netand if the girl is not satisfied she can let him stay for 3 years and rot in jail. They will fine him 5 million ID. Is this the struggle for Kurdistan we are doing here? Is this the religion we have left? The situation is very dangerous but no one will follow you to the battlefield. The people don’t have guts. If the people do have courage I will be the first to block Barzani’s path. (….)

LOL. There is something seriously messed up in these people's heads. A girl sending texting phrases of love to boys over her phone. The horror! :picard:

A father will "lose his afterlife" if he doesn't assault his daughter for texting. :picard:
bioeng

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby katja z » Aug 18, 2011 6:57 am

Well, it IS cultural. That some (well, quite a lot of) Muslims justify it in terms of their religion doesn't invalidate this statement. As bioeng said, nothing in their holy texts requires it, and indeed not all Muslim societies practice it. On the other hand, FGM is much, much older (there's evidence it was practiced in Ancient Egypt) and is today prevalent in both Muslim and non-Muslim societies (incl. among some Christians). It's also not confined to Africa and the Middle East as many think, but is (was?) traditionally practiced by some groups in South America and Australia.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Clive Durdle » Aug 18, 2011 10:24 am

There is some weird use of language going on. Bloke on Beeb Radio4 socioogy prog yesterday said riots were social but crime is behavioural.

And I raise someone who has had fgm done to her.

http://theahafoundation.org/
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Oeditor » Aug 18, 2011 11:14 am

How can these religious maniacs justify it? Surely if Allah had wanted women mutilated he'd have made sure they were born that way. Ditto male circumcision. Hypocrites!
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby ixolite » Aug 19, 2011 8:01 pm

When a girl is taken — usually by her mother — to a free circumcision event held each spring in Bandung, Indonesia, she is handed over to a small group of women who, swiftly and yet with apparent affection, cut off a small piece of her genitals. Sponsored by the Assalaam Foundation, an Islamic educational and social-services organization, circumcisions take place in a prayer center or an emptied-out elementary-school classroom where desks are pushed together and covered with sheets and a pillow to serve as makeshift beds. The procedure takes several minutes. There is little blood involved. Afterward, the girl’s genital area is swabbed with the antiseptic Betadine. She is then helped back into her underwear and returned to a waiting area, where she’s given a small, celebratory gift — some fruit or a donated piece of clothing — and offered a cup of milk for refreshment. She has now joined a quiet majority in Indonesia, where, according to a 2003 study by the Population Council, an international research group, 96 percent of families surveyed reported that their daughters had undergone some form of circumcision by the time they reached 14.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/magaz ... ion-t.html
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/0 ... index.html

bioeng wrote:While there is nothing in Islamic texts that encourages FGM,

There is.
ixolite

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Oeditor » Aug 20, 2011 10:49 am

ixolite wrote:
bioeng wrote:While there is nothing in Islamic texts that encourages FGM,

There is.
Citations would be useful, please.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Shuggy » Aug 22, 2011 7:33 am

"Those who advocate for FGM from an Islamic perspective commonly quote the following hadith to argue that it is required as part of the Sunnah or Tradition of the Prophet:

'Um Atiyyat al-Ansariyyah said:
A woman used to perform circumcision in Medina.
The Prophet (pbuh) said to her:
Do not cut too severely
as that is better for a woman
and more desirable for a husband'."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/fem_cirm.htm
The Wero Shop - products to make you laugh and think
Shuggy

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby mark1961 » Aug 22, 2011 7:56 am

Shuggy wrote:"Those who advocate for FGM from an Islamic perspective commonly quote the following hadith to argue that it is required as part of the Sunnah or Tradition of the Prophet:

'Um Atiyyat al-Ansariyyah said:
A woman used to perform circumcision in Medina.
The Prophet (pbuh) said to her:
Do not cut too severely
as that is better for a woman
and more desirable for a husband'."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/fem_cirm.htm

Presumably in the original Arabic that would rhyme. Which would make it a Limerick. Horrible, horrible thought. :yuk:
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby sennekuyl » Aug 22, 2011 9:25 am

katja z wrote:Well, it IS cultural. That some (well, quite a lot of) Muslims justify it in terms of their religion doesn't invalidate this statement. As bioeng said, nothing in their holy texts requires it, and indeed not all Muslim societies practice it. On the other hand, FGM is much, much older (there's evidence it was practiced in Ancient Egypt) and is today prevalent in both Muslim and non-Muslim societies (incl. among some Christians). It's also not confined to Africa and the Middle East as many think, but is (was?) traditionally practiced by some groups in South America and Australia.

? Australia? Eh? I realise it happens here, but it has been illegal since the 90's and I'm not sure that it wasn't an extinct tradition for a little while before that amongst Aborigines. I can't find any concrete indication that has been practised by aborigines.

I think you'll find it is being imported here as much as it is in the UK et al.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Moonwatcher » Aug 30, 2011 5:10 pm

bioeng wrote:I've heard an Islamist on another forum from Egypt argue that FGM is intended to "control the libido of women" to prevent immorality. :roll: While there is nothing in Islamic texts that encourages FGM, their obsession with regulating people's sexual "morality" leads many to resort to barbaric practices such as this. And as usual, the women are the ones being victimized.

What a bunch of savages.

Yeah and cutting men's dicks off will also curb sexal immortality but funny that this male-dominated religion isn't advocating that. It would prevent them from fucking nine year olds like their founder.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Dracena » Aug 30, 2011 8:55 pm

:coffee:
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby katja z » Aug 31, 2011 7:01 am

sennekuyl wrote:
katja z wrote:Well, it IS cultural. That some (well, quite a lot of) Muslims justify it in terms of their religion doesn't invalidate this statement. As bioeng said, nothing in their holy texts requires it, and indeed not all Muslim societies practice it. On the other hand, FGM is much, much older (there's evidence it was practiced in Ancient Egypt) and is today prevalent in both Muslim and non-Muslim societies (incl. among some Christians). It's also not confined to Africa and the Middle East as many think, but is (was?) traditionally practiced by some groups in South America and Australia.

? Australia? Eh? I realise it happens here, but it has been illegal since the 90's and I'm not sure that it wasn't an extinct tradition for a little while before that amongst Aborigines. I can't find any concrete indication that has been practised by aborigines.

I think you'll find it is being imported here as much as it is in the UK et al.

Obviously there is "imported" FGM among certain immigrant groups, no one is arguing that, but I was speaking specifically about indigenous traditions ("was traditionally practiced"). This was to make the point that FGM is not tied to a particular religion but has been practiced in a number of cultures, regardless of their religious affiliations.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby katja z » Aug 31, 2011 7:03 am

Moonwatcher wrote:sexal immortality

:shock:

:lol:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby quixotecoyote » Aug 31, 2011 8:43 am

What's the big deal about whether it was originally tied to a religion or was a freestanding cultural tradition? That cultural tradition has been absorbed (there's always exceptions to everything) into a religious context.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby lordshipmayhem » Aug 31, 2011 5:28 pm

bioeng wrote:A father will "lose his afterlife" if he doesn't assault his daughter for texting. :picard:

They're going to have to point out the line in the Koran that says girls shall not use their cell phones to text boys, lest their fathers try to breed with them. I don't seem to recall that one myself.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby bioeng » Sep 02, 2011 5:25 am

lordshipmayhem wrote:
bioeng wrote:A father will "lose his afterlife" if he doesn't assault his daughter for texting. :picard:

They're going to have to point out the line in the Koran that says girls shall not use their cell phones to text boys, lest their fathers try to breed with them. I don't seem to recall that one myself.

Islam discourages fornication, and the "mingling of the sexes", so by extension clerics try to control anything that prevents either from happening.

Also if Muslims were to use only the Quran (and be liberal in their interpretation) and completely ignore the hadiths, Islam would become probably as "harmless" as Christianity is today in the developed world. I use "harmless" in a relative sense here. There's certainly nothing harmless about bible thumpers, but compared to a society with an Islamic state, its a walk in the park.

Fortunately, even though they are still a small minority, Quran-only Muslims are a noticeably growing movement, and they're certainly an improvement over the typical mainstream schools of belief.
bioeng

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Islam