Does being a atheist make you feel depressed?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Does being a atheist make you feel depressed?

#321  Postby amkerman » Mar 08, 2012 7:29 pm

z8000783 wrote:
amkerman wrote:<snip stuff>

I agree with you I don't thing all those things are objective, does that make me consistent?

You really shouldn't have to ask me. It makes you personally consistent with regards to abstract concepts, it does not make you consistent with regards to atheism. For you to become logically consistent with your atheistic "lack of belief" you would need to reject "or lack belief" the existence of objective physical reality as well.

amkerman wrote:These statements that some posters are making, that an atheist can believe in the objectivity of consciousness, is ridiculous. Sure, they can, but they should be calling themselves theists if they do.

The objectivity of consciousness means that consciousness is not an emergent function that can be destroyed.

Do you have anything to support that assertion?

John

I'm not exactly sure what kind of support you are looking for. Could you provide an example of what you would consider to be "support"?

Can you destroy things that objectively exist? Can you destroy physical reality (that is, of course, assuming you believe physical reality objectively exists).
Bring me gold and bring me wisdom- give me scars to bring me grace.

A wicked wit and when I use it I dash the hopes of those who hate me.

Give me love- big as a mountain.

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#322  Postby HughMcB » Mar 08, 2012 7:31 pm

amkerman wrote:You really shouldn't have to ask me. It makes you personally consistent with regards to abstract concepts, it does not make you consistent with regards to atheism. For you to become logically consistent with your atheistic "lack of belief" you would need to reject "or lack belief" the existence of objective physical reality as well.

Um... why?

ETA: You are a funny one. Basically, unless you believe my metaphysical bollocks, you're logically inconsistent with objective physical reality. You're 'avin a fuckin larf! :lol:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#323  Postby Animavore » Mar 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Shrunk wrote:
amkerman wrote: My point is that theism is logically consistent with a belief that morality et.al exist, whereas atheism is logically inconsistent with such beliefs.

A theist can make such claims as, "it is objectively wrong (read not-right) to murder an innocent child, because abstract concepts such as 'right' do objectively exist" without being guilty of being logically incoherent.

That claim is logically consistent with a belief in God.

An atheist cannot.

Why not?

For instance, if morality is a neurological function that has arisen thru evolutionary processes in response to selective pressures, then it would be possible to identify those pressures and the types of behaviour that best respond to them. That would be as objective as saying that white rabbits are more suited to a snowy environment than black rabbits.

That is a coherent and logically consistent concept of morality that is compatible with atheism.

Moreover, I think it is questionable to claim theistic morals are "objective", if they are derived from God opinions and wishes, since those are the result of God's subjectivity.

I guess if aliens were studying us they would conclude that those of the species that look after each other help each other prosper, thrive and reproduce where as those that don't get weeded out.

This would be an objective view on the evolutionary success of those individuals that display these habits which needn't even bring the word 'moral' into it like we don't bring morals into the habits of rats.

Or is there something I'm missing?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#324  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 08, 2012 7:43 pm

amkerman wrote:
It's all well and good, and I don't want anyone jumping off bridges because they can't stand how glaringly wrong they are, but the fact remains, atheism is a logically incoherent position unless one rejects both abstract concepts altogether and concrete concepts, which can only be believed to objectively exist if one believes that consciousness objectively exists.

Why you do persist in this assanine idea that abstract ideas need to objectively exist? Can you not do math if you don't believe in God? Can you not see how it works? Have you ever bothered to plug evidence into your navel-gazing equations?

These statements that some posters are making, that an atheist can believe in the objectivity of consciousness, is ridiculous. Sure, they can, but they should be calling themselves theists if they do.

So, because I don't believe in a magic man that has granted me the right to accept that I observe the processes of my own mind, my position is logically incoherent. Whew, talk about defense mechanisms!

The objectivity of consciousness means that consciousness is not an emergent function that can be destroyed. It means that it is a primary function of reality, or, at least, if you want to be more pantheistic about it (which I believe is wrong, since most of us agree that the universe was not uncaused) the universe, which exists independently of other things in the universe, such as life. Analogous maybe, to gravity, which I think most of us agree objectively exists.

Whew, I don't know what stank hole you pulled that out of, but you can put it right back in. Objectivity of consciousness means it's observed to objectively exist. It is clearly emergent, observe the development of a child. Note the lack of observable consciousnesses outside of brain function. It's all nice and good to stare at your belly button lint until you come up with something that is nice and internally consistent, but until you test it against reality, it isn't worth squat.
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Mar 08, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#325  Postby Shrunk » Mar 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Animavore wrote: I guess if aliens were studying us they would conclude that those of the species that look after each other help each other prosper, thrive and reproduce where as those that don't get weeded out.

This would be an objective view on the evolutionary success of those individuals that display these habits which needn't even bring the word 'moral' into it like we don't bring morals into the habits of rats.

Or is there something I'm missing?

I don't think you're missing anything. That's kind of the same thing I was saying.

Or, on a much less exalted plain, if God's thoughts and commands can be considered "objective morality", then what is to stop an atheist from proclaiming that whatever you, Animavore, says is moral is, therfore, moral? That would be objective, so long as you make your moral commands clear and unambiguous (which would be doing God one better).

Theistic morality is nothing more than "If God says it's moral, it's moral." That is no more objective than saying "If Animavore says it's moral, then it's moral."
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#326  Postby Adventurer » Mar 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Last month when the fucking psychiatrist fixed up my prescription I felt a searing pain so I had to pray God (with capital g) to cure it. I only turn to God when I'm extremely weak, and I'm a very strong person so no, I never feel depressed without God.
Adventurer
Banned Troll

Name: Godly

Print view this post

#327  Postby amkerman » Mar 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Shrunk wrote:
amkerman wrote: My point is that theism is logically consistent with a belief that morality et.al exist, whereas atheism is logically inconsistent with such beliefs.

A theist can make such claims as, "it is objectively wrong (read not-right) to murder an innocent child, because abstract concepts such as 'right' do objectively exist" without being guilty of being logically incoherent.

That claim is logically consistent with a belief in God.

An atheist cannot.

Why not?

For instance, if morality is a neurological function that has arisen thru evolutionary processes in response to selective pressures, then it would be possible to identify those pressures and the types of behaviour that best respond to them. That would be as objective as saying that white rabbits are more suited to a snowy environment than black rabbits.

What? You've identified selective pressures and behaviors that "best" respond to them. Is "best" a neurological function? Is "best" objective? So morality is a behavioral response to selective pressures? So murder is moral? All you have done is elucidate my point, that morality should not exist in the minds of atheists. There is no "right" or "wrong", just behavior to selective pressures.

This doesn't make a lick of sense. I'm glad others liked it besides me.

That is a coherent and logically consistent concept of morality that is compatible with atheism.

Yes... that it doesn't exist.

Moreover, I think it is questionable to claim theistic morals are "objective", if they are derived from God opinions and wishes, since those are the result of God's subjectivity.

Theistic morals? :popcorn:

But, as you probably know I believe, and as most theists believe, God is supreme, there isn't anything outside of God. God is not subject to anything. As such, God's "opinions and wishes" are not subjective, but objective.
Back to the drawing board for you I hope.

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#328  Postby amkerman » Mar 08, 2012 8:02 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:

Objectivity of consciousness means it's observed to objectively exist. It is clearly emergent, observe the development of a child. Note the lack of observable consciousnesses outside of brain function. It's all nice and good to stare at your belly button lint until you come up with something that is nice and internally consistent, but until you test it against reality, it isn't worth squat.

:nono:
No. It does not mean that it is observed to objectively exist. In fact, that you would say that it is observed goes directly against what it means to be objective. Things that objectively exist exist independently of observation.
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :nono: :shock: :naughty: :snooty:

... to the rest of that statement. There is a reason I don't respond to your posts. You say things like "consciousness is clearly emergent"...

I just couldn't help to correct that first sentence (after of course editing your "stink hole" reference out) because it is so glaringly wrong.

Nothing else you said merits a response, so I can go back to ignoring your drivel once more.

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#329  Postby michael^3 » Mar 08, 2012 8:17 pm

amkerman wrote:
What? You've identified selective pressures and behaviors that "best" respond to them. Is "best" a neurological function? Is "best" objective? So morality is a behavioral response to selective pressures? So murder is moral? All you have done is elucidate my point, that morality should not exist in the minds of atheists. There is no "right" or "wrong", just behavior to selective pressures.

Because of selective pressure, human beings have an inbuilt tendency to behave in a way that is is beneficial to the people around them. If this was not the case, the human race would have gone extinct. As an atheist I can recognize this tendency and decide to live by it. I can decide to call this system "morality". Now what exactly does not make sense here?
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#330  Postby Shrunk » Mar 08, 2012 8:21 pm

amkerman wrote: What? You've identified selective pressures and behaviors that "best" respond to them. Is "best" a neurological function? Is "best" objective?

Yes. The response most positively correlated with positive selection is the "best", and that can be objectively determined.

So morality is a behavioral response to selective pressures?

It could be. I'm only attempting to refute your claim that there is no possible coherent concept of morality without God.

So murder is moral?

In this model, not if it is subject to negative selective pressure.

All you have done is elucidate my point, that morality should not exist in the minds of atheists. There is no "right" or "wrong", just behavior to selective pressures.

In the model I am offering here, "right" or "wrong" is determined on the basis of selective pressures, which can be observed and even calculated mathematically. That's a lot more objective than the subjective thoughts of some imaginary being whose existence cannot even be demonstrated.

They seem to have understood it. You haven't.

Yes... that it doesn't exist.

This sentence makes no sense. What are you trying to say? That what doesn't exist?

Theistic morals? :popcorn:

But, as you probably know I believe, and as most theists believe, God is supreme, there isn't anything outside of God. God is not subject to anything. As such, God's "opinions and wishes" are not subjective, but objective.

If they are objective, then so are my "opinions and wishes" or anyone else's. That makes the existence of objective, non-theistic morality trivially easy to conceive.

Back to the drawing board for you I hope.

Nope. You should try to at least superficially understand a point before responding. You clearly haven't here.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#331  Postby amkerman » Mar 08, 2012 8:21 pm

michael^3 wrote:
amkerman wrote:

Because of selective pressure, human beings have an inbuilt tendency to behave in a way that is is beneficial to the people around them. If this was not the case, the human race would have gone extinct. As an atheist I can recognize this tendency and decide to live by it. I can decide to call this system "morality". Now what exactly does not make sense here?

Nothing. What you have said makes sense. You have effectively redefined morality. We are no longer talking about the same things. I am talking about "beneficial" in your statement. Is "beneficial" something that is real? Is it actually "beneficial" to let things live, or is that just a made up concept that has no meaning? If it is just an abstract concept, that doesn't exist, why do things that are "beneficial"?

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#332  Postby amkerman » Mar 08, 2012 8:24 pm

You are a subject @shrunk. You exist in the universe, in the world, and other things exist outside of your conscious. You opinions and wishes are subjective, not objective.

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#333  Postby michael^3 » Mar 08, 2012 8:26 pm

amkerman wrote:
michael^3 wrote:
amkerman wrote:

Nothing. What you have said makes sense. You have effectively redefined morality.

and that's a problem because...? Because God is angry now?

We are no longer talking about the same things. I am talking about "beneficial" in your statement. Is "beneficial" something that is real?

If I break your nose, would we agree that this is not "beneficial" to you?

Is it actually "beneficial" to let things live, or is that just a made up concept that has no meaning? If it is just an abstract concept, that doesn't exist, why do things that are "beneficial"?
Last edited by michael^3 on Mar 08, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#334  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 08, 2012 8:29 pm

amkerman wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

Objectivity of consciousness means it's observed to objectively exist. It is clearly emergent, observe the development of a child. Note the lack of observable consciousnesses outside of brain function. It's all nice and good to stare at your belly button lint until you come up with something that is nice and internally consistent, but until you test it against reality, it isn't worth squat.

:nono:
No. It does not mean that it is observed to objectively exist. In fact, that you would say that it is observed goes directly against what it means to be objective. Things that objectively exist exist independently of observation.

No shit, Sherlock. And how can you tell they exist? ... By observing and testing them! But I know, I know, navel gazing is a MUCH better way to determine things about objective reality :rofl:

... to the rest of that statement. There is a reason I don't respond to your posts. You say things like "consciousness is clearly emergent"...

Yes, that is what the evidence clearly indicates. Do you have some evidence that consciousness is not emergent? Some floaty, disembodied spontaneously fully-formed consciousness you've caught in a jar, perhaps?

I just couldn't help to correct that first sentence (after of course editing your "stink hole" reference out) because it is so glaringly wrong.

Nothing else you said merits a response, so I can go back to ignoring your drivel once more.

:waah:
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Mar 08, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#335  Postby Animavore » Mar 08, 2012 8:31 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Some floaty, disembodied spontaneously formed consciousness you've caught in a jar, perhaps?

Actually...

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/philo ... l#p1220704

:shifty:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#336  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Animavore wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Some floaty, disembodied spontaneously formed consciousness you've caught in a jar, perhaps?

Actually...

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/philo ... l#p1220704

:shifty:

Drat, foiled again!

Can you break a ten?
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#337  Postby HughMcB » Mar 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Adventurer wrote:Last month when the fucking psychiatrist fixed up my prescription I felt a searing pain so I had to pray God (with capital g) to cure it. I only turn to God when I'm extremely weak, and I'm a very strong person so no, I never feel depressed without God.

I thought you were an atheist?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#338  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 08, 2012 9:21 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Adventurer wrote:Last month when the fucking psychiatrist fixed up my prescription I felt a searing pain so I had to pray God (with capital g) to cure it. I only turn to God when I'm extremely weak, and I'm a very strong person so no, I never feel depressed without God.

I thought you were an atheist?

Maybe he's just atheist part-time? :dunno:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#339  Postby Shrunk » Mar 09, 2012 12:42 am

amkerman wrote:You are a subject @[color=#CC0000][b]shrunk.[/b][/color] You exist in the universe, in the world, and other things exist outside of your conscious. You opinions and wishes are subjective, not objective.

As are God's. Or are you saying God has no free will to form opinions of his own? Perhaps it's that, since God has perfect knowledge of every aspect of the universe, his opinions on morality are objectively true. But then that would mean morality exists objectively independent of God, so that can't be it.

Maybe your half-baked idea just doesn't add up.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#340  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 09, 2012 1:45 am

amkerman wrote:I have never heard an atheist [successfully] account for the existence of these things without [the existence of something I would term] God. [I too, cannot account for the existence of these things without the existence of something I would term God.] Because of this, the latter sentence rather than the former, I do not believe that these things exist without the existence of something I would term God (although if someone successfully argued that these things did exist without the existence of something I would term God, logically, and rationally, then I would have to re-evaluate my position; I be obliged to believe their argument for myself, thus I would be justified in believing the argument).

That you're heard someone say something iis justification for believing someone has said something.

Thank you for clearing that up.

amkerman wrote:If it is not true, it fails. At least in my mind. there is no such thing as 80% successful. 80% successful is called a failure in my book. If it works it works. just follow all logical rules, make sound premises, draw sound conclusions. don't commit fallacy's, don't appeal to authority, think clearly and concisely, and lay the argument out on the table so it is easy to follow along.

So, am I to take it that an account that does not account for everything is not a successful account? One that cannot adequately fend off all objections is not a successful account?

amkerman wrote:Anyone may or may not be able to provide a successful (read true) account of morality. It is of my opinion, currently, that atheism cannot, whereas theism can. That is neither here nor there. If you don't believe it, for yourself, then you are not justified in believeing it. We cannot in good conscious go around lying to ourselves and others saying we believe things we have never even thought about, or that we don't believe.

Excellent. So if your belief is justified, it's because theism can provide a 100% successful account of morality. It can avoid all arbitrariness objections, deflect the Euthyphro, solve issues of supervenience and be properly motivated over all nontheistic rivals. All this whilst failing to throw up any further worrisome objections. I'm deeply skeptical.

amkerman wrote:
Atheists may share "a lack of belief" in regard to God, but that doesn't exhaust the features of an atheist's worldviews.

It is the only worldview we are talking about.

Atheism isn't usually a worldview. A lack of belief doesn't constitute a worldview. Now if someone drew up a worldview and called it Atheism, sure. But atheism, understood as a lack of belief, is not a worldview.

amkerman wrote:
We can have many different beliefs and lackthereof, none of which are about God; these can also differ from atheist to atheist.

Agreed. non-sequitur.

Some of us are naturalists, others are not; some are nihilists, some are not; some are even platonists

Agreed. non-sequitur.

What's the "non-sequitur" referring to in each of these?

amkerman wrote:
So nonbelievers don't need to draw justification from their lack of belief, because they can draw it from their actual beliefs. Do you seriously think that atheists start from their nonbelief and build upwards on it in this way?

Fine, I'll allow this, if anyone can successfully (read truly) posit the existence of morality, truth, love, etc, etc (what is funny is that I don't need to stop with abstract concepts, If someone wants to posit that physical reality actually exists, that's fine) without positing the existence of what I would term God (the objectivity of consciousness) so be it. I have yet to hear a successful argument.

That's fine. But I've seen your arguments too. They're not convincing.

The atheist has options available though. One could posit that moral facts supervene on other natural facts, but are not reducible to them. Or perhaps that they can be reduced to other natural facts. Or that they're nonnatural facts (say, some kind of platonism). Or even, I suppose, that they are supernatural facts, but that the supernatural doesn't have available space for God. The last option is kind of far-fetched, but I reckon it could possibly work, so long as supernatural doesn't just mean God. This doesn't even take into account the many views that aren't so easy to lay on the map.

No one here needs to settle on any of these. That people here have not chosen to defend any of these views doesn't mean you're justified in believing that no atheist can defend such a view. People here are typically skeptics, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they aren't willing to settle with any of these yet.

amkerman wrote:Well, I build on my beliefs upwards. We start from axioms we cannot prove but accept as true and build our beliefs around them. But yes, I would assume that every single one of an atheists beliefs follows from a non-belief in God. Just as every single belief, if you are say a naturalist, is logically coherent with your naturalistic philosophy. If you have a belief that is inconsistent with "lacking belief in God" how can you look yourself in the face and say you are an atheist. It is just intellectually dishonest. It is logically incoherent.

I think you're missing something important. Sure, there are probably some atheists who start out with a position of non-belief and build from there. However, most atheists (particularly those you'll find on this forum) have come to their non-belief as a result of other beliefs. You're leaving out that non-belief can be the result of maintaining consistency in other beliefs.

amkerman wrote:Atheism, I think, is logically incoherent. Unless of course you accept nihilism and reject the existence of objective reality. I do not think that one can posit that any conscious abstraction objectively exists, or that physical reality exists, without positing the objectivity of consciousness, which I would term "God". Therefore, claiming that either conscious abstractions or physical reality exist objectively, while maintaing an atheist mindset (that consciousness does not objectively exist) is logically incoherent. As such, I cannot accept atheism.

You couldn't support your arguments about reality last time, though. And whoever said that abstractions are conscious? That's just powered off the fact that you make the objective/subjective distinction fuzzy beyond recognition. Others don't do this.

amkerman wrote:
amkerman wrote:Or maybe one claims "good" or "right" exists. How? If you believe that, they have become your God, at least as I see it. There certainly is no empirical evidence for their existence, they certainly can not be measured or proven, and they certainly aren't known to exist in a physical sense. These concepts are only known through personal feeling, as experience, as a priori knowledge.

Experience is a priori? :what:

All bachelors are single. a priori. maybe a better term would have been, epistemically speaking, self-evident truth.

I get what a priori is. I'm saying that experience is usually a posteriori. This looks like an instance where you've kept the terms of a distinction, but done away with the distinction proper.

amkerman wrote:
I wouldn't be so steadfast about any of this. It markedly ignores much of the work of contemporary moral philosophers. But even granting, for argument's sake, that the good and the right are known only through "personal feeling", there are plenty of nontheists whose moral philosophies are informed by an intuitionist epistemology. It's actually had a resurgence over the past decade. If anything, intuitionist epistemology may conflict with theism (particularly those views try to ground moral facts in God's will). Your claim that these things become "God" needs fleshing out. God is not just what the atheist believes in beyond his or her scientistic justifications.

I am steadfast. If you want to make the moral philosophy argument, make it and I will respond. You haven't said anything here. Make the argument. I don't give a shit what a moral philosopher said or didn't say. Tell me the argumentt so I can respond to it.

The argument is book-length, so no, I won't be laying it out here. There's also more than one. Be careful throwing around claims of entitlement though, because you've asked us to grant you quite a lot here.

amkerman wrote:The last sentence I can respond to. "God is not just what the atheist believes in beyond his or her scientistic justifications."

Yes, it is. Beyond scientistic justifications lies "woo" (as atheists often calls it). Lies God. Atheists continually argue that they do not believe in God because there is 0 empirical evidence. In my opinion this is fine, and a reasonable justification not to believe in something. However, I can not accept that the atheist then goes on to believe in other things with 0 empirical evidence. It is fucking mind-numbing. I know it happens, with a plethora of abstract concepts, in many atheists. This is yet another reason (actually, I think it is the reason we have been discussing, the reason that I would be depressed as an atheist, because I am logically consistent) why atheism is logically incoherent.

Woo doesn't lie beyond scientistic justifications unless the atheist buys into a strict scientism. Some atheists do, but many of us don't. Some of us may owe our non-belief to a lack of empirical evidence, but so what? Atheists don't have to be strict empiricists of this sort or support their atheism in this way. I don't even think that sort of atheism is that interesting, personally.

Can you not think of a reason why an atheist might be an atheist without holding to strict empiricism? Consider logical incoherence, as you often put it. An atheist might dismiss God because the constituents of the concept are incoherent when placed together. Or perhaps theism contradicts something else that's obvious in the world, as the problem of evil alleges (let's not forget the problem of divine hiddenness either). If God has these problems, but other nonnatural or supernatural concepts do not, then you have an explanation for why an atheist can believe in one thing and not another. Do you see where I'm coming from now?

amkerman wrote:
amkerman wrote:God IS these things. Objective morality= God. Objective Love= God. Objective Truth=God. Objective meaning=God. etc, etc. When I say God is the source of these things, what I am saying is that God is what we aspire to. God is the ideal. We aspire to be good, we aspire to love, we aspire to do right; we are aspiring to God.

So you've made controversial identifications and gone from there. That's great, but the atheist hasn't made these identifications. Unless you can provide sufficient reasons for them to do so, they need not be convinced that these things cannot be got without God. Since the atheist has not made these identifications, their aspirations are not to God-likeness.

They are the exact same thing as theists, they just don't call it God because they don't believe God exists. They are to the same thing. If they believe these ideals exist, if they actually believe they are working towards something, let's hear them justify their existence. I'm sure it can be done without using the actual word God, it just can't be done without claiming that consciousness exists objectively (which is God).

The atheist has not made these identifications, so you can drop that until you have something new. It's getting less and less clear what you think morality is. Is morality just aspiring to a moral ideal? We could look at how we value things to check this, but I don't think you'll find it's borne out by that checking. Without some deeper argument and analysis, there's no reason an atheist should accept your claims are face-value.

There's something strange about this though. If we're identifying these things with God, the motivation would surely be that God is like a person in significant ways, so we aspire to be persons in a way that reflects on God as this ideal person. But is God even personal on your view? You keep saying that God is reality. That doesn't look much like a personal God. If he is personal, then you run into the usual objections applicable to this sort of view. If not, your view looks unmotivated.

amkerman wrote:
Does truth even function like that? Do we aspire to truth because God is truth...huh?

Something like that. We aspire to truth because truth is right, right is good, good is God.

Yeah, that's just more confusing.

amkerman wrote:Theism is coherent because we aspire to these things, AND, we believe these things exist. As far as I can tell, atheism, while atheists may or may not aspire to these very same things, ultimately doesnt believe they exist. Depressing, IMO, and pointless to aspire to them.

You're not even doing justice to Ideal Observer Theory -and Michael Martin works so hard! ;) The atheist can believe these things exist; they're just not going to identify them with God.

Don't know who that is or what the Ideal Observer Theory is.[/quote]

You're kidding. Sure, i can understand that you've never heard of Michael Martin, but the second part? Which nontheistic ethicists are you familiar with? Have you heard of the Cornell Realists? Or functionalists like Jackson? Or virtue ethicists like Hursthouse and Thomson? What about nonnaturalists like Schafer-Landau and Fitzpatrick? Or neo-Kantians like Korsgaard? I'm not doing a name-drop for the fun of it here either. You've said you haven't seen or heard an atheist give an account of morality without God, but have you looked very far? These people attempt to do just that. And they're just a few drops in the pond. Ethicists like Simon Blackburn and Alan Gibbard pretty much build up to moral realism from a starting-point of nihilism.

amkerman wrote:You don't need me to pursue perfect virtue, and you shouldn't be looking to me to find it.

Edit: perfect human virtue is an oxymoron.

Who said anything about humans achieving perfect virtue? Naturally a theist would be well-advised to be careful about granting perfect virtue for humans, but then I don't really need you to grant that.

I think you're missing the tongue-in-cheekness of this last bit comment though.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Islam