Fighting games

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Fighting games

#1  Postby General Heinz » Jul 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Any fighting game players here? In my opinion, there's no better way to have a test of wills than a high-level matchup between two competitors in such a game (though I'm sure RTS fans will disagree :P). I myself am mostly a smash player, but I've also been playing BlazBlue lately (CS Extend) and ordered the new Arcsys game Persona 4 Arena.

I guess I don't have a particular question in mind, just want to see what sorts of games are represented by the players on RatSkep and maybe what other people think of fighting games.

Discuss discuss
General Heinz

Name: Elliot

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Fighting games

#2  Postby Sovereign » Jul 04, 2012 1:29 am

I love fighting games. Street Fighter 2 was my game for awhile. Now I'm a Virtua Fighter and Soul Caliber fan right now. I amd looking forward to the new DOA game though.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby General Heinz » Jul 04, 2012 3:13 am

Nice. What do you like about fighting games exactly? And is there a particular type of character that you tend to main, or are you more of a chameleon? I've never really played much Street Fighter but I've been considering buying the latest version just to see if it helps with my overall skill.
General Heinz

Name: Elliot

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sovereign » Jul 04, 2012 6:43 am

I've been a huge fan of the Virtua Fighter series because it was no super powers and it was harder to button mash to win. I like ones where you have to think to win. You can do that with all fighting games but some are just button mashers. I also loved the Bushido Blade series. One mistake and you could die to a one hit kill. I usually go for the speed character with long combo chains. I usually pick one speed and one power type character to get good with. In Soul Caliber it's Kilik and Seigfried and in Virtua Fighter it's Jeffrey and Jackie.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 16, 2012 4:25 am

I guess I don't have a particular question in mind, just want to see what sorts of games are represented by the players on RatSkep and maybe what other people think of fighting games.

I only really like fighting games for their multiplayer capacity - it's always fun to beat up friends without undesired side-effects like being hurt or losing their friendship! :)

I like the Tekken series the most, due to the very different styles of fighting available.

I also like to surprise people by mastering less favoured characters. We had an awesome competition once at my house in the UK - my friend brought a projector from work, and I invited a horde of random friends off the internet to come to my house from all over Europe and play games all weekend. Tekken (I think it was 4) was the most played game - people were shocked to find that Kuma was not only viable, but repeatedly ate all their faces off! No one had really faced a player using Kuma, so no one had developed strategies against it!

However, for the most part I like thinking games. I prefer games where you develop and expand, and manage things. This can be economic like Patrician style games, or 4X like Civ or Galactic Civ, or city builders like Caesar. Tactical battles are nice if they are a part of the game rather than the focus. I don't find I am particularly catered for in the general availability of games - a good example of this is the current steam sale which tends to be very FPS heavy. I have zero interest in shooting people with a gun, although I am somewhat more interested in whacking them with a mace or chopping them up with an axe.

My favourite ever game was Children of the Nile - something I consider to be totally unique - a society building game.

I'd love to be able to programme because I have a ton of games I've designed, and no way to realise them.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

#6  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Jul 17, 2012 2:05 am

Oh man, Tekken. So many glorious hours wasted playing Tekken back in the day... I like the UFC game and Mortal Kombat as well. Looking forward to Injustice: Gods Among Us.
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games