Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#10461  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 06, 2017 5:41 am

You want merciless, try Etrian Odyssey. Those games hate you long time.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10462  Postby electricwhiteboy » Apr 06, 2017 9:57 am

Finally picked up Doom for a tenner in Game. I was utterly lukewarm about the demo, but I found the game itself to be an excellent nostalgia fest. I honestly can't remember the last time I actually needed a map in a FPS. Or felt the single player game was a worthwhile experience. And the weapons all having a function and being fun to use, instead of just a tiered system where you never use the low end gear again.

Getting some screen tearing which is pretty unforgivable on a console version, I haven't installed the stupidly massive patch because I actually wanted to play the game last night so hopefully that will fix it. Don't plan to even touch the multiplayer as I've heard that it's appalling.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#10463  Postby Fallible » Apr 06, 2017 11:12 am

doom was great old-school dumb fun....took me back about 20 years or so when i used to play a load of pc shooters...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10464  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 06, 2017 11:12 am

Fallible wrote:doom was great old-school dumb fun....took me back about 20 years or so when i used to play a load of pc shooters...

me...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10465  Postby Sendraks » Apr 06, 2017 11:53 am

See, I'm not sure now whether

a) US accidentally posted on Fall's account
b) Fall is trying to make out that she didn't really used to play loads of PC shooters
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#10466  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2017 1:00 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:Finally picked up Doom for a tenner in Game. I was utterly lukewarm about the demo, but I found the game itself to be an excellent nostalgia fest. I honestly can't remember the last time I actually needed a map in a FPS. Or felt the single player game was a worthwhile experience. And the weapons all having a function and being fun to use, instead of just a tiered system where you never use the low end gear again.

Getting some screen tearing which is pretty unforgivable on a console version, I haven't installed the stupidly massive patch because I actually wanted to play the game last night so hopefully that will fix it. Don't plan to even touch the multiplayer as I've heard that it's appalling.

I played it multiplayer before the internet was fast enough. Five of us used the company's LAN on a friday afternoon/evening back in the 90's. We had for the time the fastest pc's around and it was great fun.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10467  Postby Animavore » Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Why do I have far better time management skillz in P5 than I do in real life?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10468  Postby electricwhiteboy » Apr 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:Finally picked up Doom for a tenner in Game. I was utterly lukewarm about the demo, but I found the game itself to be an excellent nostalgia fest. I honestly can't remember the last time I actually needed a map in a FPS. Or felt the single player game was a worthwhile experience. And the weapons all having a function and being fun to use, instead of just a tiered system where you never use the low end gear again.

I played it multiplayer before the internet was fast enough. Five of us used the company's LAN on a friday afternoon/evening back in the 90's. We had for the time the fastest pc's around and it was great fun.

Ah LAN parties. Those were the days.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#10469  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2017 1:09 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Ah LAN parties. Those were the days.

I sound ancient. :oops: But I enjoyed them. Doom was about as good as it got then. Of course we thought ourselves to be the bees' knees. :lol: It was a serial LAN and we had to check the connections on four floors before we could play. :shock:
This was in the Ministry of Transport (they always had the newest gear).
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10470  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Animavore wrote:Why do I have far better time management skillz in P5 than I do in real life?

:lol: I remember asking that question with P3. Then you read an FAQ, and you realize that the way you're playing actually is like wasting your time in real life, so it evens out.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10471  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 07, 2017 11:17 am

The Utopia expansion for Stellaris is amazing.
So many more ways to configure your empire now.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10472  Postby aliihsanasl » Apr 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Fallible wrote:doom was great old-school dumb fun....took me back about 20 years or so when i used to play a load of pc shooters...

Duke Nukem was amazing too, I can't stop playing its hd version on vita. Good old memories.

Edit btw neither doom nor duke nukem real old school shooter title is wolfstein. They renewed that title periodically for the last three decades.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#10473  Postby Animavore » Apr 08, 2017 6:34 am

I think Persona 5 is the only game I've ever played where I usually let the pre-titlescreen intro play most of the time.

Usually I'll watch it once and never again.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10474  Postby MattHunX » Apr 08, 2017 9:13 pm

Character creation options are lacking a bit, but I still managed to make a good enough bloke.

Lighting fucking matters.
MassEffectAndromeda 2017-04-05 14-27-59-410.jpg
MassEffectAndromeda 2017-04-05 14-27-59-410.jpg (610.47 KiB) Viewed 746 times

MassEffectAndromeda 2017-04-05 18-00-13-630.jpg
MassEffectAndromeda 2017-04-05 18-00-13-630.jpg (524.13 KiB) Viewed 746 times

MassEffectAndromeda 2017-04-08 11-33-25-115.jpg
MassEffectAndromeda 2017-04-08 11-33-25-115.jpg (418.12 KiB) Viewed 746 times

The game is fucking huuuge. I read we can only land on a handful of planets, but there is so much to do on just one that it's gonna take me weeks to complete my first playthrough. I fear.

Facial animation aren't that weird. Eyes are, yes. Waiting for a torrent for just the patch. Not that crucial.

Noticed a few bugs where lines are said and e-mail are sent that reference squad-mates who weren't met yet. A bit annoying.

Graphics, worlds, stuff...looks amazing.

Combat is fast. Still have yet to use and get used to profiles. Annoyingly, a few weapons that should pack a punch are oddly weak.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#10475  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 09, 2017 6:53 am

I never used other profiles. But maybe you need to on harder difficulty settings?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10476  Postby MattHunX » Apr 09, 2017 10:11 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:I never used other profiles. But maybe you need to on harder difficulty settings?

Well, I'm limiting my own experience, because I'm only ever play Infiltrator types and some Biotics. With this I can do a mix between them. So...that's as far as I'll go. Not interested in Engineer or Soldier builds. Might use some aspects of them.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#10477  Postby Thommo » Apr 09, 2017 11:20 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:I never used other profiles. But maybe you need to on harder difficulty settings?

I played on insanity, and you don't.

They made two significant mistakes with the profile system:-

1) You can't change profiles on the fly. In a game where everything about combat has been designed around making it faster, smoother, more non stop and action packed (right down to removing more than 3 powers for the player character and the ability to manually use squad powers) they made the decision to force you through two layers of pause menu to use even the "quick" shift profile changes. When you compare this to the live action version you see Alex Rider use in the early section of the game it's clear what the vision was and how they've fallen short. Incidentally I'd bet my bottom dollar this is a control scheme issue - they ran out of buttons on the gamepad (very obvious if you play an hour or two with one), which is obviously what the game was designed around. If they'd fixed the system and made it voice activated, like Alex Rider's version I bet it would have been hella fun.

2) You use the same pool of skill points for each profile. Rather than having separate skill points for each profile like you would in an MMO-dual spec, which would work by giving you multiple fundamentally different skill sets and builds of equal power, instead you can only use the same skills and passives that you've paid for out of your primary spec budget. Since there are always actives/passives to be bought until about level 70 for your main spec (depending how many weapons you want to master) you are not given a choice between multiple well balanced profiles where each one makes tough choices to sacrifice in some areas and excel in others, you're given the choice between having 1 all-powerful skill set and several slight variations on that, albeit much weaker, or weakening all your profiles across the board to have access to meaningfully different powers to set into the profiles.

Ultimately there's just no benefit from piddling about with the system. Pick one of the decent ones that gives you some extra shields or melee damage or something and don't waste more time with it. The only profile that's interesting for its own sake is the explorer for the teleport dodge, but the one time I really experimented with that I kept falling through the scenery so gave up.
Thommo

Print view this post

#10478  Postby MattHunX » Apr 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Thommo wrote:

I played on insanity, and you don't.

They made two significant mistakes with the profile system:-

1) You can't change profiles on the fly. In a game where everything about combat has been designed around making it faster, smoother, more non stop and action packed (right down to removing more than 3 powers for the player character and the ability to manually use squad powers) they made the decision to force you through two layers of pause menu to use even the "quick" shift profile changes. When you compare this to the live action version you see Alex Rider use in the early section of the game it's clear what the vision was and how they've fallen short. Incidentally I'd bet my bottom dollar this is a control scheme issue - they ran out of buttons on the gamepad (very obvious if you play an hour or two with one), which is obviously what the game was designed around. If they'd fixed the system and made it voice activated, like Alex Rider's version I bet it would have been hella fun.

Wait a heck. Then, what's the use of the Favorite (F1 to F4), that you can map profiles to? That should allow one to open the wheel and switch between, at least 4, on the fly. :scratch:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#10479  Postby Animavore » Apr 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Tried some ESO as it's free for the week. What a cheap and nasty pile of dirt. FTP Neverwinter and Skyforge are better than this bilge. This is a game which once tried to charge a subscription! :lol:

The world needs a Dark Souls MMO.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10480  Postby MattHunX » Apr 12, 2017 7:52 pm

So,

BAYONETTA just came out on PC out of FUCKING NOWHERE.

:)
MattHunX

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games