Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#11641  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Bit pissed of right now.
I can play both AC Origins and Wolfenstein 2, despite not meeting the supposed minimum requirements.
However, Anno 2205 crashes my pc at random times, every time I try to play it, eventhough I do meet the minimum requirements.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11642  Postby Mazille » Dec 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Cuphead is kicking my ass. I got a bit of a rush when I beat the first boss until I realized that this was literally the first level and it took me like 15 tries. Haven't beaten a second one yet.
Slime Rancher is delightful. That is all.
I'll have to restart Tides of Numenara when I am in the right headspace for learning a whole world from scratch and actually giving a shit who's doing what.
Still a few more I got from my brother for Christmas to even install.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#11643  Postby UncertainSloth » Dec 28, 2017 7:18 pm

the destroyer of worlds loved cuphead...i am yet to give it a go...

she also adores dark souls - she is a masochist...now we want this to be real...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11644  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Cuphead looks amazing, I'll definitely get around to it someday. Trying to whittle down the backlog at the moment...
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11645  Postby Mazille » Dec 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Oh, it looks and sounds absolutely fantastic, no doubt about it.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#11646  Postby LucidFlight » Dec 29, 2017 12:15 am

Animavore wrote:
Ironclad wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Assassins souls is a real game?

Yes.
I've looked but can't find it anywhere

:picard:

:coffee:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11647  Postby Animavore » Dec 31, 2017 10:14 pm

Is Chrono Trigger really the greatest RPG of all time? (that's rhetorical, clearly Dark Souls is) I've never heard of it.

Also, did you know that Dark Ring was once considered as a title for Dark Souls until it was realised that it had sinister connotations in the West?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11648  Postby UncertainSloth » Dec 31, 2017 10:59 pm

interesting...would that then have been a link to eternal ring, way back on the ps2....?
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11649  Postby aban57 » Jan 01, 2018 9:43 am

Animavore wrote:Is Chrono Trigger really the greatest RPG of all time? (that's rhetorical, clearly Dark Souls is) I've never heard of it.

Also, did you know that Dark Ring was once considered as a title for Dark Souls until it was realised that it had sinister connotations in the West?

This ranking is clearly shit, putting FF XII way ahead of FFVII.
Chrono Trigger deserves to be in the top 3, along with Secret of Mana and FF VII.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11650  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 01, 2018 10:18 am

Animavore wrote:Is Chrono Trigger really the greatest RPG of all time? (that's rhetorical, clearly Dark Souls is) I've never heard of it.

hang on.... :what:
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11651  Postby willhud9 » Jan 01, 2018 3:17 pm

This is why I love Jim Sterling. His videos are always refreshing. Yes microtransactions are generally bullshit and the "its just cosmetic" argument is bollocks.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11652  Postby Mazille » Jan 01, 2018 3:19 pm

:this:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#11653  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 01, 2018 3:27 pm

willhud9 wrote:

This is why I love Jim Sterling. His videos are always refreshing. Yes microtransactions are generally bullshit and the "its just cosmetic" argument is bollocks.

:nod:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11654  Postby Animavore » Jan 01, 2018 4:18 pm

17 mins me bollox.

It's just cosmetic is a sound argument. If microtransactions aren't in the way of me enjoying the game then they are irrelevant. It's no different to them not being there at all. If he can't rebut that in less than a minute he's full of shit.

Not wasting my time on drawn out, tortured, meandering bullshit.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11655  Postby willhud9 » Jan 01, 2018 5:09 pm

Animavore wrote:17 mins me bollox.

It's just cosmetic is a sound argument. If microtransactions aren't in the way of me enjoying the game then they are irrelevant. It's no different to them not being there at all. If he can't rebut that in less than a minute he's full of shit.

If we were to do a poll and asked: How important in multiplayer games online is it for your character to have customization options and the majority of players said: "They are important because standing out is important for me to enjoy the game."

Then your point is irrelevant. You'd be in a minority.

For me when I play Overwatch I want my character to stand out. So Overwatch has the ability to directly purchase skins via gold. That is shitty still, but okay. I spend my money knowing exactly what the fuck I am getting. But then they have limited time holiday/event skins which are more expensive and then the amount of gold gained in game is dismal. There are plenty of reddit posts talking about how insane amount of time it takes to accrue in-game gold via lootboxes in Overwatch.

Okay, so I could just play a ton and hope to level up and get the skin each time I level up or do the arcade? Oh it requires 3-4 wins to level up? and on average a night I have time for 2-3 games? Oh okay, well then lets do as much as I can. Oh this holiday only lasts 3 weeks and I only have 3 weeks to get this limited time skin? Of which I do not have the means to directly acquire it now, nor the rng chances to happen to get it from casual game play.

Well I guess I can spend some money on lootboxes. $5 leads to $10 to $15 to $30 to $100. It is fucking gambling at that point and unlike actual fucking gambling it is unregulated. There is a reason you have restrictions on how many lottery scratchers you can purchase.

The thing is I have guildmates who have come onto discord crying because they couldn't help themselves and dropped $300+ on hearthstone cards in game and not gotten the specific cards they wanted. That is a problem a) for them because they need to get help if they have impulses to spend money like that, but also b) against games with microtransactions because it is gambling and gambling is a regulated thing by the state.

If customization in multiplayer games is no big fucking deal then in World of Warcraft everyone should start out as a default race/class and there is no change. The same armor drops, you cannot make your guy look any different. After all the "gameplay" is unaffected.

Except bullshit the gameplay is affected. I want my character to be different than the default model. That is how I enjoy multiplayer games. My gameplay is affected by not being able to directly EARN the customization either by unlocking an achievement or reaching some criteria, it should not be affected by in-game purchases for a game I spent money on to acquire in the first place.

Fucking League of Legends at least can do this right. They are free to play, and you can pay money directly to acquire points which can be used on skins and characters. Or you can play the game enough and it gives you a good amount of points per game that it is not impossible to save up and buy the characters you want to play.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11656  Postby Mazille » Jan 01, 2018 5:13 pm

See, I see it the other way round. There's no need for microtransactions to be there in the first place, except for the desire by publishers to make all the money.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#11657  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Mazille wrote:

See, I see it the other way round. There's no need for microtransactions to be there in the first place, except for the desire by publishers to make all the money.

Exactly, what's missing from Ani's point/post is that cosmetics used to be pat of the basic game for no extra cost.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11658  Postby Animavore » Jan 01, 2018 6:03 pm

We have a number of options. Paid for DLC which separates the player pool. Microtransactions which affect gameplay. Microtransactions which are cosmetic. Or we need to talk about repricing games.

Either way these games need to be supported over their life span. I vote for option 3.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11659  Postby Mazille » Jan 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Seems like a false dilemma to me. Plenty of games do exceedingly well without that greedy shit.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#11660  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Animavore wrote:We have a number of options. Paid for DLC which separates the player pool. Microtransactions which affect gameplay. Microtransactions which are cosmetic. Or we need to talk about repricing games.

Or: not repricing games with the exception of taking inflation into acount.

Animavore wrote:
Either way these games need to be supported over their life span. I vote for option 3.

Again, this never used to a problem until recently.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games