Is race real?

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is race real?

#4021  Postby angelo » Feb 20, 2013 8:16 am

Beautiful and scary.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4022  Postby Agrippina » Feb 20, 2013 8:19 am

Indeed.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4023  Postby Galaxian » Feb 22, 2013 1:39 pm

angelo wrote:Image

The mind of this extraordinary man has speculated that mankind has about another century to find another earth otherwise it will become extinct. :(

The mind of this "extraordinary man" should stick to "cosmology" about which he knows just a bit more :book:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment_Sam Nejad

To know who rules over you find out who you are not allowed to criticize. -Voltaire
Galaxian
Banned User

Print view this post

#4024  Postby Moridin » Feb 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Warren Dew wrote:The idea that all human ancestors came out of Africa within the last 200,000 years is a myth based on paying attention only to mitochondrial DNA and ignoring autosomal DNA. Neanderthals and Denisovans are among the ancestors of modern humans, and likely Asian Homo Erectus is as well.

That does not follow. There has been admixture between modern humans and those two groups, but from that it does not follow that out of Africa is wrong.
Moridin

Male

Print view this post

#4025  Postby Warren Dew » Feb 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Moridin wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:The idea that all human ancestors came out of Africa within the last 200,000 years is a myth based on paying attention only to mitochondrial DNA and ignoring autosomal DNA. Neanderthals and Denisovans are among the ancestors of modern humans, and likely Asian Homo Erectus is as well.

That does not follow. There has been admixture between modern humans and those two groups, but from that it does not follow that out of Africa is wrong.

If some of our ancestors were already in Europe (neanderthals) and Asia (Denisovans) 200,000 years ago, it absolutely does follow, as I said, that not all of them were in Africa at that time. Some of them might have been in Africa, but not all of them.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#4026  Postby Galaxian » Feb 24, 2013 6:46 am

Warren Dew wrote:
Moridin wrote:

If some of our ancestors were already in Europe (neanderthals) and Asia (Denisovans) 200,000 years ago, it absolutely does follow, as I said, that not all of them were in Africa at that time. Some of them might have been in Africa, but not all of them.

I fully agree Warren. It beggars belief that one clan left Africa about 100,000 years ago & fully subjugated & annihilated all other humans.
Remember? 20 years ago they said that ALL humans were pure bred from Cromagnons, & found their superficial diversities in the past few tens of thousands of years. Now they admit (though it was always obvious) that people in various parts of the world are an admixture with earlier humans who had made those areas their home...such as Erectus, Neanderthal, & Denisovans, etc. But curiously enough, we're still all H. sapiens sapiens! ...Yeah, whatever...

It's time that zoologists & anthropologists stopped snorting the funny stuff, grew a spine, developed intestinal fortitude, & confronted the airy-fairy sociologists with their make-believe wishful thinking PC world.

I myself have a high degree of Neanderthal admixture, as proven by my morphology. My spouse has a high degree of another human subspecies (Denisovan? perhaps) as proven by morphology. Our Rh factors are different, making us inter-STERILE. Thus we're essentially different species...according to the taxonomists. But I don't go that far. I'm content to place us as separate subspecies. I really don't see what all the fuss is about :book:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment_Sam Nejad

To know who rules over you find out who you are not allowed to criticize. -Voltaire
Galaxian
Banned User

Print view this post

#4027  Postby angelo » Feb 24, 2013 9:23 am

Galaxian wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
Moridin wrote:

I fully agree Warren. It beggars belief that one clan left Africa about 100,000 years ago & fully subjugated & annihilated all other humans.
Remember? 20 years ago they said that ALL humans were pure bred from Cromagnons, & found their superficial diversities in the past few tens of thousands of years. Now they admit (though it was always obvious) that people in various parts of the world are an admixture with earlier humans who had made those areas their home...such as Erectus, Neanderthal, & Denisovans, etc. But curiously enough, we're still all H. sapiens sapiens! ...Yeah, whatever...

It's time that zoologists & anthropologists stopped snorting the funny stuff, grew a spine, developed intestinal fortitude, & confronted the airy-fairy sociologists with their make-believe wishful thinking PC world.

I myself have a high degree of Neanderthal admixture, as proven by my morphology. My spouse has a high degree of another human subspecies (Denisovan? perhaps) as proven by morphology. Our Rh factors are different, making us inter-STERILE. Thus we're essentially different species...according to the taxonomists. But I don't go that far. I'm content to place us as separate subspecies. I really don't see what all the fuss is about :book:

I'm inclined to agree with you here. Too many are afraid to speak up in case they are branded racists. The PC brigade does have a lot to answer for this state of affairs.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4028  Postby Galaxian » Feb 24, 2013 4:15 pm

angelo wrote:
Galaxian wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
Moridin wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with you here. Too many are afraid to speak up in case they are branded racists. The PC brigade does have a lot to answer for this state of affairs.

Thank you angelo. I would kiss you, but I'm reduced to tears & might wet your fair features. :happydance:

Galaxian
Banned User

Print view this post

#4029  Postby Warren Dew » Feb 25, 2013 2:04 am

Galaxian wrote:I myself have a high degree of Neanderthal admixture, as proven by my morphology. My spouse has a high degree of another human subspecies (Denisovan? perhaps) as proven by morphology. Our Rh factors are different, making us inter-STERILE. Thus we're essentially different species...according to the taxonomists. But I don't go that far. I'm content to place us as separate subspecies. I really don't see what all the fuss is about :book:

I would note that the fact that we have significant neanderthal admixture proves that neanderthals and early modern humans were the same species - neanderthalensis must needs have subspecific rank.

I'm RH positive and my wife is RH negative and we have three healthy kids. I grant that the second and third would have been risky without modern medicine, but I don't think we're different species. What constitutes a subspecies I'm not going to venture an opinion on.

Agree with the earlier parts of of your post, not quoted.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#4030  Postby pinkharrier » Feb 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Agrippina wrote:I think you're right Angelo. The lines are becoming more and more blurred as we continue to mix our genetic material away from our natural ancestral environments.

Hang on. If there's no such thing as race, what are we mixing?
I'm a rational skeptic. Touch wood.
pinkharrier

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4031  Postby angelo » Mar 01, 2013 6:27 am

pinkharrier wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I think you're right Angelo. The lines are becoming more and more blurred as we continue to mix our genetic material away from our natural ancestral environments.

Culture!
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4032  Postby Moridin » Jul 16, 2013 9:19 pm

pinkharrier wrote:Hang on. If there's no such thing as race, what are we mixing?

Genetic material between arbitrarily defined populations.
Moridin

Male

Print view this post

#4033  Postby Agrippina » Jul 17, 2013 6:02 am

pinkharrier wrote:

Sorry pinkharrier, I didn't see this post.

Yes, mixing cultures, and learning more about other family members' cultures but more importantly, we are saving ourselves from extinction and the dangers of inbreeding which causes "race"-specific diseases, such as Taysachs. If we allow our genetic material to mix with as many other ethnicities as possible, we will eventually remove all the features that define "race." Humans will eventually look all the same because the family features that define our ethnicity will disappear, so we'll no longer be able to identify far Easterners from the shape of their eyes, or Africans from the crinkliness of their hair.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4034  Postby Galaxian » Jul 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Agrippina wrote:
pinkharrier wrote:

Yes, mixing cultures, and learning more about other family members' cultures but more importantly, we are saving ourselves from extinction and the dangers of inbreeding which causes "race"-specific diseases, such as Taysachs. If we allow our genetic material to mix with as many other ethnicities as possible, we will eventually remove all the features that define "race." Humans will eventually look all the same because the family features that define our ethnicity will disappear, so we'll no longer be able to identify far Easterners from the shape of their eyes, or Africans from the crinkliness of their hair.

Keep on dreaming Agrippina. The various races started as one race in Africa. The various species started as one species in the primordial ocean. Since then they've been drifting apart, up to a point, as it were, of 'homeostasis'.

Species diverge up to the point where the ecological pressures for diversification are in equilibrium with those trying to restrict their number. The ONLY way that they can be forced to be the same is by using the devices of the most repressive totalitarian State social & biological engineering. So now we know what you have in mind? :dunno:

Galaxian
Banned User

Print view this post

#4035  Postby Agrippina » Jul 20, 2013 3:20 pm

:grin:

I think that if our Rainbow Nation continues to mix ethnicities the way it is now, we won't have any blondes left, except for foreigners who come to live here. It's actually great to see how many "mixed race" couples there are here now.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4036  Postby THWOTH » Jul 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
pinkharrier wrote:

Keep on dreaming Agrippina. The various races started as one race in Africa. The various species started as one species in the primordial ocean. Since then they've been drifting apart, up to a point, as it were, of 'homeostasis'.

Species diverge up to the point where the ecological pressures for diversification are in equilibrium with those trying to restrict their number. The ONLY way that they can be forced to be the same is by using the devices of the most repressive totalitarian State social & biological engineering. So now we know what you have in mind? :dunno:

Confusing culture and species again eh? Seems that you're the one forcing them to be the same, conflating one with the other.

Isn't it about time you got round to demonstrating the contemporary speciation of humans on which what passes for your argument relies?

:coffee:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4037  Postby Macdoc » Jul 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Keep on dreaming Agrippina. The various races started as one race in Africa

More shite in this odious thread

There are no extant human races except one remaining.

Sahelanthropus tchadensis
Orrorin tugenensis
Ardipithecus ramidus
Australopithecus anamensis
Australopithecus afarensis
Kenyanthropus platyops
Australopithecus africanus
Australopithecus garhi
Australopithecus sediba New
Australopithecus aethiopicus
Australopithecus robustus
Australopithecus boisei
Homo habilis
Homo georgicus
Homo erectus
Homo ergaster
Homo antecessor
Homo heidelbergensis
Homo neanderthalensis
Homo floresiensis
Homo sapiens sapiens

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/species.html

The others that indeed ( tho not 100% that all were Africa continent based ) developed are gone....get over it.
There are numerous diverse subpopulations.

Fucking sickening this crap continues....on this board....should have locked and deep sixed ages ago :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4038  Postby angelo » Jul 21, 2013 9:05 am

We are all one. The disaster of religion is what separates most cultures more than anything else except adaption.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4039  Postby NineBerry » Jul 21, 2013 10:21 am

Galaxian wrote:
Species diverge up to the point where the ecological pressures for diversification are in equilibrium with those trying to restrict their number. The ONLY way that they can be forced to be the same is by using the devices of the most repressive totalitarian State social & biological engineering.

You mean cars, trains, ships and airplanes? You know, devices that allow humans to go to different parts of the world easily.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#4040  Postby Agrippina » Jul 21, 2013 10:25 am

angelo wrote:We are all one. The disaster of religion is what separates most cultures more than anything else except adaption.

That and fear of people who are different. :grin:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Anthropology