SpaceX

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: SpaceX

#281  Postby newolder » Feb 18, 2017 2:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8U2KXZzvtA
Launch to ISS and return of first stage...
T-13s abort. heigh ho.

Retry tomorrow 09:38 EST...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#282  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 19, 2017 7:09 pm

They're making it look easy now.

Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#283  Postby Weaver » Feb 19, 2017 10:00 pm

At 26:31, right before the voice announcement of the beginning of the entry burn, one tiny and one slightly larger object appear just above the center of the screen and appear to move upwards - what the hell are they? Something ejected down from the rocket at the beginning of the entry burn?

They're re-igniting the first stage launch engine, so there shouldn't be anything kicked out like there might be at a first ignition ... and certainly no ice left on the thing ...
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#284  Postby newolder » Feb 20, 2017 10:08 am

Some kind of bird? There's no altitude data I can see but stop-framing around that time, the second object looks like it has the body of a bird and a pair of wings? :dunno:

Great landing tho'. :thumbup:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#285  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am

Weaver wrote:At 26:31, right before the voice announcement of the beginning of the entry burn, one tiny and one slightly larger object appear just above the center of the screen and appear to move upwards - what the hell are they? Something ejected down from the rocket at the beginning of the entry burn?

They're re-igniting the first stage launch engine, so there shouldn't be anything kicked out like there might be at a first ignition ... and certainly no ice left on the thing ...

The first stage was pretty high up at that point so Imma guessing something kicked off during the ascent that followed a ballistic trajectory. The first stage might catch up to it due to its reduced velocity post-reentry burn?

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#286  Postby Weaver » Feb 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
Weaver wrote:At 26:31, right before the voice announcement of the beginning of the entry burn, one tiny and one slightly larger object appear just above the center of the screen and appear to move upwards - what the hell are they? Something ejected down from the rocket at the beginning of the entry burn?

The first stage was pretty high up at that point so Imma guessing something kicked off during the ascent that followed a ballistic trajectory. The first stage might catch up to it due to its reduced velocity post-reentry burn?

They were pretty far off the launch trajectory during the return - it would be really, really incredible if they saw something from the boost stage when on the way back down.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#287  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 22, 2017 10:09 am

Agree it seems improbable, but the return to launch site trajectory does cross over the ascent phase:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#288  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 22, 2017 10:31 am

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#289  Postby Weaver » Feb 22, 2017 10:59 am

Science fiction stories from my youth featured rockets taking off and landing from the same site, with vivid descriptions of vertical landings, pillars of flame and dust, and rockets descending through the clouds.

It just struck me - we finally, FINALLY have a spaceport.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#290  Postby BlackBart » Feb 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Weaver wrote:It just struck me - we finally, FINALLY have a spaceport.

Yes, but is it a wretched hive of scum and villainy? :awesome:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#291  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 23, 2017 11:29 am

Cool video of stage separation, first stage turning and starting its boost back burn:
https://gfycat.com/GrippingJaggedBlackfish

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#292  Postby Made of Stars » Feb 23, 2017 11:31 am

Speculation on r/spacex was that the debris was probably ice or cork dislodged by the engine re-ignition.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#293  Postby patient zero » Feb 28, 2017 2:19 am

SpaceX planning to send crewed Dragon around the Moon in 2018.

http://www.spacex.com/news/2017/02/27/s ... -next-year
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Print view this post

#294  Postby patient zero » Apr 02, 2017 3:51 am

SpaceX successfully launches and lands a previously used first stage (and tests the recovery of the payload fairing as well).

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/03/31/s ... echnology/
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Print view this post

#295  Postby newolder » Jun 25, 2017 8:51 pm

2 launches and 2 landings at 2 continentally separated coastal sites in 2 days. Snipers at 3.5 km. Pfft.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#296  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Boys with very expensive toys.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#297  Postby Weaver » Jun 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Boys with very expensive toys.

Tell us again about how only nation-states should be in the business of spaceflight.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#298  Postby newolder » Jun 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Boys with very expensive toys.

Read you the first time. http://www.rationalskepticism.org/astro ... l#p2349148
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#299  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Still remains true. We are not going anywhere unless there is a world organisation. Do you see that happening. Bloody orange turd. No way.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#300  Postby Weaver » Jun 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Still remains true. We are not going anywhere unless there is a world organisation. Do you see that happening. Bloody orange turd. No way.

What do you mean "we are not going anywhere"? We have already seen commercial enterprises send supply missions to the ISS, return the spacecraft and first stage, and reuse them for subsequent missions. The same and other companies are working on getting manned flight rated so we can stop paying the Russians space welfare for boost.

Or do you mean we aren't going anywhere off of the planet without a world spaceflight organisation? Like, I dunno, to the Moon? Six fucking times? Or all the landers and orbiters and flybys we and other nations have done despite the lack of a world spaceflight organisation?
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science