Instinct

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Instinct

#21  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 13, 2010 11:35 am

twistor59 wrote:Thanks for the response. Yes, the question I was interested in was that of fixed action patterns, though I wasn't familiar with that term.

So, staying with the gull example, basically the genome contains the instructions that will build a bird brain which will contain an initial neural net which develops into something which produces the behaviour "peck at a red dot" ?

I guess the difficulty I have is understanding the information content of these behaviours. What I mean is that there is information in the behaviour in the sense that it's

"peck repeatedly at a red dot", and not

"peck repeatedly at a blue dot"
"peck repeatedly at a green diamond"
"turn round once and tweet when you see a black dot"
etc....

Presumably each one of those alternatives could have been a potential neural net, so the genome could have coded for them. There are huge numbers of those alternatives, so choosing

"peck repeatedly at a red dot"

must use up a huge proportion of the tiny (only 1-2 billion base pairs) genome.

That's the bit that's still counter intuitive for me.

I don't quite understand why you think there would be neural networks set up to stop other behaviors.. If that were the case, then I'd agree that such a genome would be infinitely massive, but as far as I'm aware it's unnecessary. The kelp gulls only have a neural network which is "triggered" by a red dot, so this means that whenever they see a red dot they 'instinctively' peck at it - however, this doesn't mean that they can't peck at other things. In fact, although I haven't read any studies on it, I imagine if you presented them with different coloured dots you would still get some pecking behavior as a result of stimulus generalisation, which basically occurs as a result of the sample stimuli being similar in some way to the exemplar stimulus. You find this when you train an animal to, say, peck at a red button and then you test it with other colours; there is some responding on other colours but this level of responding decreases as you move further away from the example stimulus. So orange and yellow buttons might produce a fair bit of responding, but less than red, whilst blue and green buttons would produce little to no responding as they are the furthest away from red.

In simple terms, the "peck at the red dot" behavior is an exception to how behaviors normally come about. We don't have neural networks designed to determine every behavior we should and should not engage in.

my_wan wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:3) be elicited by a specific stimulus in the environment

I agree with your issues with 'instinct' completely, and fixed-action patterns sums up what I generally refer to as instinct quiet well. My perspective comes from seeing it on an unbroken spectrum, where instinct is merely a useful definition, like speciation. At some level even the distinction between instinct and an inorganic chemical reaction sequence breaks down, except for how we choose the definition to apply. As I'll explain it goes the other way to. My interest in evolution, biology, behavior, etc., is geared more toward applications, which also includes preservation.

I just think it has taken on so many different (and even conflicting or contradictory) definitions over the years that it seems to be a pretty troublesome term to try to hold on to. I agree that there isn't a fine line between innate and learnt behaviors, but I don't think the term "instinct" helps with that.

my_wan wrote:Take nest building and the definition 3) above for instance. None of the definitions given provided for a variable dependence on the hormonal state of an organism of a given species. In fact it was specifically defined as environmental stimulus. So what of fixed-action patterns that are only expressed when certain hormones are present, like those that vary with an estrous cycle? I generally take this as instinct myself, but it opens a Pandora's box once you allow such contingent-action patterns as a stand in for the definition of instinct. We could say estrous is merely a mechanistic certainty of the species, but estrous often has environmental triggers like instinct. In some sense you could call learning a biological response to the environment, like estrous sometimes is, and the learned behavior itself is a change of contingent-action patterns, like nest building is to environmentally induced estrous. I don't object to the usefulness of the definition, but in the big picture I just see such definitions as lines drawn in the sand. The only real difference is just the level of subtlety of the feedback between the environment and the organism, for which there is no real dividing line.

Good point, and you're actually right, in a lot of research the definition of "environment" includes the biological workings of an organism so the estrous cycle would be considered an environmental stimulus. And as you say, this blurs the line but it isn't too big of a problem as these dividing lines are mostly there for convenience in behavioral research. As I mentioned earlier, there is no physical difference between a reflex and a fixed-action pattern, but it's incredibly useful to frame it as if there is.

my_wan wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:Much more so than gawking over a monkey and a stick.

That response was well put, but this line just cracked me up. :lol: :lol:

:grin:

John P. M. wrote:
However - as nice as this may sound (if indeed it does - I may be talking gibberish, but to me it sounds reasonable right now), there are behaviors that are way more complex, and in which the animal must perform many many tasks in succession for the entire behavior to make any sense and to have an advantage, like building an intricate nest.

As you can see though, there is a factor of hit and miss involved, and it seems they both have the innate behavior, but also have to "practice", or rather try, try again when they miss.

Indeed, this is an important point :nod:

Just because something is innate doesn't mean that it cannot be improved with practice, and nor does it mean that the "successful" form of the behavior that we see does not require some fine tuning. The best example I can think of for this is the tool making behavior of the New Caledonian crow. Through extensive research that involves raising chicks from birth without any interaction with their parents, they found that the crows have an innate ability to build grub fishing tools from pandanus leaves. Here's a diagram that shows the basic creation of the tool (sorry the image is so small):

(From here)

They cut out a part of the leaf in an incremental pattern because the holes they 'fish' in become increasingly smaller, and they use the barbs on the outer side of the leaf as tiny hooks to catch the grubs on.

Anyway, what they found was that even though the tool making behavior was innate, it was also flawed without cultural learning. What happened was that the orphan crows could create the basic shape of the tool and get most of the aspects right, but they cut it out of the wrong side of the leaf - as such, they didn't have the barbs and their tool was much less successful than the usual form of the tool.

With further testing, they found that the crows had formed numerous different cultures across isolated of New Caledonia where each population had created it's own "brand" of tool, some specifically to tackle different problems, but some just as a result of a different creation process which had been passed on throughout generations.

The point is, this is an example of an innate behavior which requires a strong learning component - and I think the same is probably true of nest building. (I think even song learning in at least some birds depends in part on learning the song of their parents).
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#22  Postby twistor59 » Nov 13, 2010 11:51 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:

I don't quite understand why you think there would be neural networks set up to stop other behaviors.. If that were the case, then I'd agree that such a genome would be infinitely massive, but as far as I'm aware it's unnecessary.

That wasn't quite what I was getting at. What I was trying to do was gain an impression of how much information there is in the piece of the genome that sets up this fixed action pattern. What I mean is - if it's even in prinicple possible for the gull genome to have coded for those other behviours (i.e. if evolution had taken them in that direction for whatever reason), then there would have to be a sufficient number of base pairs in the genome allocated to this FAP in order to potentially code for those alternatives, by building a brain with the neural net set up in these different ways. It just felt as though this would "use up" space in the genome very quickly....
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Nov 13, 2010 12:00 pm

I remember seeing a Christian propaganda show called "Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution" that used a particular bird as one of their examples. This bird, once it has grown strong enough, migrates thousands of kilometres to a very specific location that it has never visited. The show proposed that obviously evolution can't explain this: therefore God.

Samsa, would fixed action patterns explain such behaviour?
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Nov 13, 2010 12:06 pm

I've actually managed to find the horrible thing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 003388368#

The relevant part starts at 11:40.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#25  Postby katja z » Nov 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
It happens in the same way other physical characteristics are passed on from parent to child - the brain is an organ that controls our behavior, you pass on the code for that brain, and the child has that brain which is specifically coded for a particular behavior.
(...)
Anyway, how do these complicated behaviors like (possibly) nest building and kelp gull pecking get passed on? As I said earlier, even though our brains are modified across our lifetime through learning, we are also born with a set of neural networks already in place. When we usually talk of learning, like learning to play the guitar, or learning to walk, we are discussing ontogenic learning - this is learning across the lifetime of an individual. However, there is also another process that is sort of like "learning" across the lifetime of the species, and this is phylogenic learning. Both processes rely on selectionist principles, the former through the culling and strengthening of neural connections, and the latter by the culling and selection of individuals that have more adaptive neural networks in place. In the kelp gull's they have a neural network that sets up a repertoire of behaviors that require the "signal" before being elicited, and this signal is the red dot. So when the stimulus is presented, the sequence of behaviors is fired up and it controls the behavior of the chick, which results in us seeing the chick pecking at the mother's beak.

That's precisely what is so mindboggling, how a neural network "results" from the genetic code, and how it "knows" what to do, and on some level I completely understand the temptation to shout "godmust'vedunit" :grin: On a more serious note, I suppose it really isn't that much different from how bodily functions like, oh, heart rate and such, are controlled. So the question then becomes not "how can complex behaviours be coded for", but "how do neural networks do anything"? (Not that it makes any of this less bloody amazing and fascinating.)
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#26  Postby katja z » Nov 13, 2010 12:19 pm

twistor59 wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

I don't quite understand why you think there would be neural networks set up to stop other behaviors.. If that were the case, then I'd agree that such a genome would be infinitely massive, but as far as I'm aware it's unnecessary.

That wasn't quite what I was getting at. What I was trying to do was gain an impression of how much information there is in the piece of the genome that sets up this fixed action pattern. What I mean is - if it's even in prinicple possible for the gull genome to have coded for those other behviours (i.e. if evolution had taken them in that direction for whatever reason), then there would have to be a sufficient number of base pairs in the genome allocated to this FAP in order to potentially code for those alternatives, by building a brain with the neural net set up in these different ways. It just felt as though this would "use up" space in the genome very quickly....

I don't understand, could you expand on that? Why would you need more base pairs for behaviours that are potentially possible but useless and meaningless for the organism whose genome it is? The genome just codes for the neural networks that are actually there, it doesn't need to hold recipes for anything that might happen in the future. Or am I misunderstanding your question?
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 13, 2010 12:31 pm

twistor59 wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Hmm.. that's probably straying out of my knowledge base then as I don't know a whole lot about genetics. But if I'm understanding you, then yes, the more innate behaviors you have to code for then the longer the genome would be, I imagine. But such a question is like asking if we have a section of genome that codes for the heart, then how much space could potentially be taken up by gills, wings, claws, and hooves in humans?

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:I remember seeing a Christian propaganda show called "Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution" that used a particular bird as one of their examples. This bird, once it has grown strong enough, migrates thousands of kilometres to a very specific location that it has never visited. The show proposed that obviously evolution can't explain this: therefore God.

After a bit of fact checking (and since I couldn't find where they mention the name on the video), it seems as if they're discussing the Pacific Golden Plover. The first thing to note that the "very specific location" is a massive stretch of geography - with one area being spread between California and Hawaii, and the other being spread from Asia to Western Alaska. So straight off the bat we have much less to explain than the video wanted us to. (However, having a specific location for the birds to return to wouldn't be a massive problem, since salmon often do this through an imprinting effect that occurs when they are spawned).

I think the eliciting stimulus for migratory behavior in birds is the changing in day length. Apparently birds use different senses to guide their paths, like visual and olfactory cues, but also detection of the earth's magnetic fields, and I assume that their "destinations" would be decided by temperature. It could also possibly be at the point of exhaustion since they don't leave much extra energy..

katja z wrote:That's precisely what is so mindboggling, how a neural network "results" from the genetic code, and how it "knows" what to do, and on some level I completely understand the temptation to shout "godmust'vedunit" :grin: On a more serious note, I suppose it really isn't that much different from how bodily functions like, oh, heart rate and such, are controlled. So the question then becomes not "how can complex behaviours be coded for", but "how do neural networks do anything"? (Not that it makes any of this less bloody amazing and fascinating.)

:lol: I know what you mean, but yes it does help if you think of the brain as an organ and behavior simply being the product of a working organ, like blood flow or a heart beat, rather than some magical substance given to us by god.

You might be interested in this book: Neural Networks and Animal Behavior. The Google books link has a fair chunk of the book available, and it's part of a brilliant 'Monographs' series which presents complex ethology issues in a pretty easy to understand way. It's on my christmas wish list this year.. :grin:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#28  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Nov 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:I remember seeing a Christian propaganda show called "Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution" that used a particular bird as one of their examples. This bird, once it has grown strong enough, migrates thousands of kilometres to a very specific location that it has never visited. The show proposed that obviously evolution can't explain this: therefore God.

After a bit of fact checking (and since I couldn't find where they mention the name on the video), it seems as if they're discussing the Pacific Golden Plover. The first thing to note that the "very specific location" is a massive stretch of geography - with one area being spread between California and Hawaii, and the other being spread from Asia to Western Alaska. So straight off the bat we have much less to explain than the video wanted us to. (However, having a specific location for the birds to return to wouldn't be a massive problem, since salmon often do this through an imprinting effect that occurs when they are spawned).

I think the eliciting stimulus for migratory behavior in birds is the changing in day length. Apparently birds use different senses to guide their paths, like visual and olfactory cues, but also detection of the earth's magnetic fields, and I assume that their "destinations" would be decided by temperature. It could also possibly be at the point of exhaustion since they don't leave much extra energy..

Thanks, Mr. S. Helpful as always :grin:

I didn't expect the video to have checked their facts very carefully. The entire video (series, really. There's three of these abominations!) boils down to the observation that 'Stuff is complicated' and provides the solution of 'God is awesome'.

Speaking of not leaving much energy, the part of the video prior to talking about migration destination is about the energy needed to migrate. THe video seems to sugest that the birds only have 70 calories worth of energy, whereas they reuire 88 calories to make the journey. Apparently God lifts their little wings once they run out of energy.
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Thanks, Mr. S. Helpful as always :grin:

I didn't expect the video to have checked their facts very carefully. The entire video (series, really. There's three of these abominations!) boils down to the observation that 'Stuff is complicated' and provides the solution of 'God is awesome'.

No problem :cheers:

I'm not actually familiar with that particular case so I might be wrong with some of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure that the change in day time would be the eliciting stimulus, I'm just not sure what determines where they land..

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Speaking of not leaving much energy, the part of the video prior to talking about migration destination is about the energy needed to migrate. THe video seems to sugest that the birds only have 70 calories worth of energy, whereas they reuire 88 calories to make the journey. Apparently God lifts their little wings once they run out of energy.

:lol:

I think their basic maths is correct there in that the birds don't have enough fuel to make the journey, but the V formation makes it possible as the bird at the front does all the work and the ones behind mostly ride the resulting waves which takes much less energy, and then obviously they switch the leader.

The explanation of "god did it" seems incredibly premature, but to be honest I'm not sure what produces this behavior - i.e. whether it's innate or learnt. I'd imagine that it probably has a strong genetic component given how many species of birds engage in it.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#30  Postby The_Piper » Nov 13, 2010 12:53 pm

:popcorn:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby twistor59 » Nov 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
twistor59 wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Hmm.. that's probably straying out of my knowledge base then as I don't know a whole lot about genetics. But if I'm understanding you, then yes, the more innate behaviors you have to code for then the longer the genome would be, I imagine. But such a question is like asking if we have a section of genome that codes for the heart, then how much space could potentially be taken up by gills, wings, claws, and hooves in humans?

On that point (I know this is straying away from the OP, which I think has been answered - I just now need to understand the numbers !!):

Isn't it the case that it's not simply that "sequence S codes for a gill", but that "sequence S when embedded in a zygote produced by a goldfish codes for a gill". So in terms of information contained, there is not just the sequence itself, but also the enviromnent (cell) in which that sequence is embedded. Now that particular zygote is the way it is (particular mix of proteins, organelles etc) through millions of years of evolution, so the "information" contained in it in some sense includes information contributions of the past history of the organism.

I really should read an elementary book on genetics - this stuff is probably explained there !
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 13, 2010 1:18 pm

twistor59 wrote:On that point (I know this is straying away from the OP, which I think has been answered - I just now need to understand the numbers !!):

Isn't it the case that it's not simply that "sequence S codes for a gill", but that "sequence S when embedded in a zygote produced by a goldfish codes for a gill". So in terms of information contained, there is not just the sequence itself, but also the enviromnent (cell) in which that sequence is embedded. Now that particular zygote is the way it is (particular mix of proteins, organelles etc) through millions of years of evolution, so the "information" contained in it in some sense includes information contributions of the past history of the organism.

I really should read an elementary book on genetics - this stuff is probably explained there !

Indeed, I think you can have sequences that code for one thing in some organisms, and have the exact same sequence code for something completely different in another, and this is before we even start discussing epigenetics... I have absolutely no idea on the specifics though and I wouldn't even know the basics of how this would impact innate behaviors.. :lol:
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#33  Postby natselrox » Nov 13, 2010 1:20 pm

May I suggest something as basic as Sean B.Carroll's 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful', twistor? It's very hard to try and frame an answer to your questions.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#34  Postby twistor59 » Nov 13, 2010 1:22 pm

natselrox wrote:May I suggest something as basic as Sean B.Carroll's 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful', twistor? It's very hard to try and frame an answer to your questions.

OK will have a look. Thanks !
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby my_wan » Nov 13, 2010 1:23 pm

katja z wrote:
twistor59 wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

I don't understand, could you expand on that? Why would you need more base pairs for behaviours that are potentially possible but useless and meaningless for the organism whose genome it is? The genome just codes for the neural networks that are actually there, it doesn't need to hold recipes for anything that might happen in the future. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

This is a robot controlled completely by cultured brain cells of a rat:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0eZytv6Qk[/youtube]

Mr.Samsa wrote:Hmm.. that's probably straying out of my knowledge base then as I don't know a whole lot about genetics. But if I'm understanding you, then yes, the more innate behaviors you have to code for then the longer the genome would be, I imagine. But such a question is like asking if we have a section of genome that codes for the heart, then how much space could potentially be taken up by gills, wings, claws, and hooves in humans?

Not so. The notion that more complex behavior entails more DNA coding is generally false. The DNA codes for a chemical environment but does not coded for the chemical reactions in that environment, chemistry does. DNA information just defines the chemical environment. Think of a series of numbered test tubes with different chemicals. Now if you mix 1 with 2 nothing happens, but if you mix 2 with 3 you blow your lab up. The information that defines the how to mix 1 with 2 is exactly the same amount of information that defines how to mix 2 with 3. Yet the information defined by the 'result' is far more complex for 2 mixed with 3. There is no direct relation between DNA information and biological complexity. DNA coding is more more analogous with mix these test tubes of chemicals in at rate X for Y time. The result is far more complex than the recipe, and increase or decrease in the complexity of the result can be achieved by simple timing/volume changes that involve exactly the same amount of DNA information.

Even on a priori principles, it would be absurd the think that DNA encodes the rules of chemistry. The rules of chemistry cannot be changed by any DNA sequence.
my_wan

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 13, 2010 1:32 pm

my_wan wrote:
This is a robot controlled completely by cultured brain cells of a rat:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0eZytv6Qk[/youtube]

Natselrox investigated that claim here: Kevin Warwick's Rat-Bot, and found it wanting... :grin:

my_wan wrote:
Not so. The notion that more complex behavior entails more DNA coding is generally false. The DNA codes for a chemical environment but does not coded for the chemical reactions in that environment, chemistry does. DNA information just defines the chemical environment. Think of a series of numbered test tubes with different chemicals. Now if you mix 1 with 2 nothing happens, but if you mix 2 with 3 you blow your lab up. The information that defines the how to mix 1 with 2 is exactly the same amount of information that defines how to mix 2 with 3. Yet the information defined by the 'result' is far more complex for 2 mixed with 3. There is no direct relation between DNA information and biological complexity. DNA coding is more more analogous with mix these test tubes of chemicals in at rate X for Y time. The result is far more complex than the recipe, and increase or decrease in the complexity of the result can be achieved by simple timing/volume changes that involve exactly the same amount of DNA information.

Even on a priori principles, it would be absurd the think that DNA encodes the rules of chemistry. The rules of chemistry cannot be changed by any DNA sequence.

Yeah I understand that complexity of behavior doesn't necessarily equate to more genetic material, but I thought Twistor was asking about more (and distinctly different) behaviors. So rather than it being a case of a simple code that is like a "keeping adding one more section" rule that gives you the scales on a snake and their source of locomotion, it's more like having a code for a heart, a liver, lungs, etc. So I would have thought that the more biological components you need to create, then the more material you need (that is, when it can't be built using some simple rule; for example, a heart can't be created by adding a rule to a liver that says "create a second liver but make it pump blood").

Is that wrong?
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#37  Postby natselrox » Nov 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Gosh! I have like 12 tabs on Neuroembryology open and 3 books! What a way to spend the Saturday evening!! :waah:

I seriously have no life!

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#38  Postby twistor59 » Nov 13, 2010 1:38 pm

my_wan wrote:
Not so. The notion that more complex behavior entails more DNA coding is generally false.

True, but the point was not about how complex the behaviour is, but how many alternative behavours could potentially be coded for. The DNA sequence sets the initial conditions which kicks off the development of the neural network and hence behaviour. So the same sequence in multiple instances will result in the same behaviour. Now if I want to code a different behaviour, I'd need a different sequence. However I'm beginning to think that this is an oversimplified way of thinking about it - the sequence only has a context in the cellular envioronment of the organism in which it sits, and this pumps up the alternatives enormously.

Anyway I looked on Amazon and the book that Nat suggested looks good, so I think I'll give it a go...

ETA @MrSamsa, yep that's what I was wondering about
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby natselrox » Nov 13, 2010 1:42 pm

twistor59 wrote:However I'm beginning to think that this is an oversimplified way of thinking about it - the sequence only has a context in the cellular envioronment of the organism in which it sits, and this pumps up the alternatives enormously.

:smile:

Yep!

Anyway I looked on Amazon and the book that Nat suggested looks good, so I think I'll give it a go...

It's very basic but it will give you an idea of how the genes and the proteins form a complex feedback loop to create an organism and how small changes in the genes can lead to huge phenotypic manifestations. There is a particularly wonderful illustration that likens the developing embryo to a globe and explains it through latitude-longitude classifications. It should be made compulsory in every textbook. :grin:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#40  Postby katja z » Nov 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Speaking of not leaving much energy, the part of the video prior to talking about migration destination is about the energy needed to migrate. THe video seems to sugest that the birds only have 70 calories worth of energy, whereas they reuire 88 calories to make the journey. Apparently God lifts their little wings once they run out of energy.

Hmm ... reminds me of how apparently someone did the maths and proved that kangaroos couldn't possibly bound the way they do because this way of moving required more energy than they got with their diets :lol: [/derail]
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Biological Sciences