Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

#421  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 22, 2014 12:05 pm

GrahamH wrote:Thanks for that paper zoon.

I think people here are really struggling to grasp that the familiar terms used here have unfamiliar contexts and that 'attributing consciousness' is NOT having a conscious thought that A is conscious or B is not.

Thoughts are a consequence of the modelling and attribution, not a magical entity doing the thinking.

Why do you need to invoke "modelling and attribution"? What's wrong with neural activity in the conscious areas of the brain (ie, those areas whose activity impinges on consciousness, via the appropriate loop circuits, and their parasitic circuits)?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#422  Postby zoon » Apr 22, 2014 12:22 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

I think people here are really struggling to grasp that the familiar terms used here have unfamiliar contexts and that 'attributing consciousness' is NOT having a conscious thought that A is conscious or B is not.

Thoughts are a consequence of the modelling and attribution, not a magical entity doing the thinking.

Why do you need to invoke "modelling and attribution"? What's wrong with neural activity in the conscious areas of the brain (ie, those areas whose activity impinges on consciousness, via the appropriate loop circuits, and their parasitic circuits)?

Because modelling and attribution are the appropriate level of discussion. It’s true enough that it all (or much of it) comes back down to feedback loops, but it’s not just any feedback loops, it’s specifically feedback loops which are designed to deal with, and model, feedback loops. It would be equally true to say that it all comes down to quantum mechanics, but that would also be uninformative.

It’s the modelling which makes recursion possible, including the way that in ordinary common sense we see ourselves simultaneously as looking at real objects in the external world, and also as only having direct access to our own subjective experiences. This recursive muddle doesn’t usually matter for practical purposes, but it’s part of the reason that consciousness is seen as a ‘hard’ problem, not amenable to the ordinary scientific approach.
zoon

Print view this post

#423  Postby GrahamH » Apr 22, 2014 12:41 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Why do you need to invoke "modelling and attribution"? What's wrong with neural activity in the conscious areas of the brain (ie, those areas whose activity impinges on consciousness, via the appropriate loop circuits, and their parasitic circuits)?

Because we need a level of context appropriate for understanding. We can't understand a computer program just by thinking about dynamic electron density in a crystal. We use abstraction and metaphor. We use source code and object classes and interfaces. To understand mind we need a source code level description. What do the neural patterns mean? Science doesn't just measure the wiggle, it connects it in a context of interpretation that allows connections to be made.

If brains are information processors then to understand their function we have to understand the information they process (unconsciously). Some of the information they process is about experiences and mental states.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#424  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 22, 2014 12:57 pm

GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Why do you need to invoke "modelling and attribution"? What's wrong with neural activity in the conscious areas of the brain (ie, those areas whose activity impinges on consciousness, via the appropriate loop circuits, and their parasitic circuits)?

Because we need a level of context appropriate for understanding. We can't understand a computer program just by thinking about dynamic electron density in a crystal. We use abstraction and metaphor. We use source code and object classes and interfaces. To understand mind we need a source code level description. What do the neural patterns mean? Science doesn't just measure the wiggle, it connects it in a context of interpretation that allows connections to be made.

I wasn't thinking in such general terms as the equivalent of "dynamic electron density", more the equivalent of electronic circuits to understand computing at a fundamental level.
If brains are information processors then to understand their function we have to understand the information they process (unconsciously). Some of the information they process is about experiences and mental states.

Don't we also need to consider the relationship between conscious and unconscious activity?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#425  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 22, 2014 1:11 pm

zoon wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:What I am claiming is that the understanding what Kaku said about thermostats is the atomic first step at understanding how a brain has semantics and hence how this magic feeling of consciousness gets stuck to our intuitions.

The only 100% scientifically hard evidence we have about consciousness is that humans attribute it to each other and themselves. This is Graziano’s starting point: there is no publicly observable evidence that we or anything else actually has it, there is a vast amount of evidence from every human culture studied that humans think about each other in terms of mental lives. Neural imaging studies show that this specifically social form of cognition is reliably linked to certain areas of the brain (example early paper here), and that it develops in predictable stages throughout childhood (a particularly striking example being the verbal understanding of false beliefs, which three-year-olds generally do not have and five-year-olds do).

Since the only publicly observable aspect of consciousness is not that it exists, but that it is attributed by human brains, human brains (rather than thermostats) are the primary place to look for phenomena associated with it. Graziano’s view, which GrahamH (I think) and I are arguing for, is that human brains have a slight tendency to attribute consciousness to thermostats, not that thermostats have a small amount of consciousness (which seems to be Michio Kaku’s view).

You just said what amounts to: the only evidence we have of consciousness is our intuition about what is conscious. Now if some people have an intuition that a thermostat is conscious and some don't then your evidence is gone. This is the problem!

Turning that to cogito we want to call it evidence that you and I are convinced that we ourselves are conscious. Here we have evidence that we cannot both observe but we can observe each other talking about our private beetle in a box. Intuitively.

But now surely you can see that we never actually see our own beetle in a box from the perspective that would allow us to say 'I see it now'. I can see my conscious. Instead we can only somehow see and refer to content of consciousness. You can't actually see a river but rather you can see it's banks, the parts that are not river, and you can see that blue stuff(hopefully blue!) flowing in it. The contents.

But in the case of C when you observe the contents you are simply creating more content. Sort of meta-content but its still content.

So now if we try and explicate content we find ourselves in this world of semantics and cognition. What is that? Well. Thermostats have one tiny little atom of that stuff. Hence thermostats are just as conscious as we are; though granted, in a less imaginative way.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#426  Postby GrahamH » Apr 22, 2014 1:21 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

I wasn't thinking in such general terms as the equivalent of "dynamic electron density", more the equivalent of electronic circuits to understand computing at a fundamental level.

We do it at every level. Electronic circuits are abstractions. A capacitor is an abstract function block. We never just look at the actual thing i itself and understand it. We learn models, we make classification, we find connections between them, by correlation, by simile.

DavidMcC wrote:

Don't we also need to consider the relationship between conscious and unconscious activity?

The proposal from me, zoon and Graziano is that the difference is the semantics in the information. The processing is not mysteriously conscious, but it realises an understanding of self-experience that is integrated into the whole body control system.
The unconscious physical system constructs / understands a mental model that represents many aspects of the system in brains activity at all levels of abstraction.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#427  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 22, 2014 1:27 pm

zoon wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Because modelling and attribution are the appropriate level of discussion. It’s true enough that it all (or much of it) comes back down to feedback loops, but it’s not just any feedback loops, it’s specifically feedback loops which are designed to deal with, and model, feedback loops. It would be equally true to say that it all comes down to quantum mechanics, but that would also be uninformative.

No. My point is simply that the neuroscience behind C has to make reference to neural circuitry, otherwise it's just psychology!
It’s the modelling which makes recursion possible, including the way that in ordinary common sense we see ourselves simultaneously as looking at real objects in the external world, and also as only having direct access to our own subjective experiences. This recursive muddle doesn’t usually matter for practical purposes, but it’s part of the reason that consciousness is seen as a ‘hard’ problem, not amenable to the ordinary scientific approach.

I distinguish between "quantified consciousness" and "the hard problem". Perhaps you do not. :dunno:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#428  Postby GrahamH » Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:But now surely you can see that we never actually see our own beetle in a box from the perspective that would allow us to say 'I see it now'.

If you think you actually have a beetle in a box, because you (your brain) detect signs that are suggestive of a beetle in a box you are never going to find it, never be satisfied you have understood it, if there is no beetle and no box, only a means of making the beetle signs. Things are even worse if its the sign-maker (brain) that is convinced it is the beetle in a box and that it is searching from inside the box. All the observable stuff doesn't look like beetle or box!

SpeedOfSound wrote:But in the case of C when you observe the contents you are simply creating more content. Sort of meta-content but its still content.

Yep, introspection is more beetle-sign generation, not actually beetle-ness.

SpeedOfSound wrote:So now if we try and explicate content we find ourselves in this world of semantics and cognition. What is that? Well. Thermostats have one tiny little atom of that stuff. Hence thermostats are just as conscious as we are; though granted, in a less imaginative way.

If thermostats make beetle-sign then yes. If they just bend a bit in the warm then no, they lack the capability to make beetle-sign so they don't have the virtual beetle in the box.

Are you going to explain how thermostats generate semantics anytime soon? I'd like to learn how bimetallic strip can generate virtual beetle in box.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#429  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 22, 2014 2:05 pm

GrahamH wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:What I am claiming is that the understanding what Kaku said about thermostats is the atomic first step at understanding how a brain has semantics and hence how this magic feeling of consciousness gets stuck to our intuitions.

So, do it. Take that first step and begin explaining how a brain has semantics by saying something substantive about thermostats that relates to brains. I dare you to try (in another thread).

I did. You didn't get that what I was showing WAS how semantics works. You wanted an extra-spicy version that explained 'knowing' and some other magical ideas.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#430  Postby GrahamH » Apr 22, 2014 3:19 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

So, do it. Take that first step and begin explaining how a brain has semantics by saying something substantive about thermostats that relates to brains. I dare you to try (in another thread).

I did. You didn't get that what I was showing WAS how semantics works. You wanted an extra-spicy version that explained 'knowing' and some other magical ideas.

Link please.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#431  Postby GrahamH » Apr 22, 2014 3:47 pm

BTW, if you define 'knowing' as 'magical' you either know nothing, or you commit to being magical.
You would do much better to address how a physical brain can know a familiar face without magic. There is no need and no justification for your appeal to magic. Surly you have read enough neuroscience to approach this sensibly. Why are you playing games? We both know we don't believe in magic, and we are communicating meaning (but only just, at the moment).
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#432  Postby CharlieM » Apr 22, 2014 11:11 pm

In reply to my post
DavidMcC wrote:
Load of BS! The blue sky is simply the higher scattering cros-section for blue light by nitrogen molecules in the air. The red sunset likewise, because the scattering in this case is out and not into our eyes.
When we receive red light mixed with violet light, ie long wavelength mixed with short wavelength, why do we not experience medium wavelength, ie green?

Colour percepton is not a question of averaging, unless the colours are quite close in the spectrum, which red and violet are not. The colour, violet is itself a mixture of red and blue cone signals, IMO, because "red" cone cells actually have a small response peak in the violet. This is all but lost in the background signal in mammalian opsins. However, it is clear in avian opsins, where the response curves extend into UVA (ie, ~350nm), and a distinct second response peak is visible for "seeing red".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BirdVisualPigmentSensitivity.svg
This is why tritanopes (who lack the SW cones) see violet as a dark red.

When I look though a prism at a black/white edge I see the red/yellow end of the spectrum, when I look at a white/black edge I see the violet/blue end. If I bring these two images together so that they meet then I see the yellow and blue merging into green. Now if I look at the reverse spectrum using white with a black band in between then as the black band narrows to bring the red and the violet ends together I see magenta. This is the inverted spectrum. In this case red and violet are close in the spectrum.

Arthur Zajonc has the following to say:
The whole idea of science is, of course, based on objectification - to become objective in your knowing, which typically means distancing. Conventional science objectifies by taking an experience and replacing it by a set of more "fundamental" objects such as atoms, molecules, interactions, and so forth. So, as opposed to the blue of the sky, physics says it's Mie scattering and the blue results from small, polarizable molecules interacting with electromagnetic fields, setting up secondary waves. This leads to a differential scattering cross-section with a dependence on the fourth power of the frequency. In this way you have an objectified account. And now it's been protected from the dangers presented by my subjective experience. Namely, I see blue - and I like blue a lot (or whatever other subjective association might be there).

Goethe took a very different approach. He was aware of the dangers of personal interpretation and inappropriate subjectivity. So he sought to mitigate those dangers in a variety of ways. But, as I see it, his resolution of the problem was contrary to the above goal of objectification. Rather than becoming distant from phenomena by taking models as the intermediary, Goethe sought to refine and cultivate the investigator's capacities for perception.

Science says to step back and gain a distance, because you're inevitably going to make a mess of the subject you are investigating. Goethe said, no, become more graceful, become more delicate in your observing. He called it a delicate empiricism. He said that there exists a delicate empiricism in which the observer becomes united with the observed, thereby raising observation to true theory. He said this ability belongs to a very highly cultivated age in the future.

So this delicate empiricism allows one to come close to the phenomenon under investigation, as opposed to having to move further away. One actually unites with the object under observation. Rather than disconnecting from nature, one is participating in it. Through that participation, something happens. Here's one of the other elements from Goethe that is key for me, what I call Bildung, which has two meanings in German: on the one hand it means "education," but really it means "formation."

By attending to an object or phenomenon, one moves into and participates in that phenomenon and, as a consequence, brings an activity into one's self which is normally outside. I see the blue; I bring the blue into my self.

There's a blue experience. That blue experience actually cultivates something in me. The closer I attend, the more shades of blue I will be able to discern. The conditions of appearance will become more apparent. So, through the process of attention, there's also a process in me of transformation.

Goethe said, "Every object well-contemplated creates an organ within us." So contemplate the object well; that creates a capacity within. That capacity is then required for the last step of perceiving the archetypal phenomenon. If you don't have the organ, you won't be able to perceive it; you'll just see the blue sky.

So there's a kind of hermeneutic circle in which I attend to the outside with the capacities I presently have. That attention then cultivates capacities within that are built on the rudimentary - you might say elementary - forms of capacities and organs I currently have. It cultivates them and develops them into a new, more vigorous and attentive form of cognition. I bring these to bear on the phenomenon before me, and it goes again through another cycle.

Goethe's notion of science is transformative. You do not come with a pre-existing set of capacities that include, say, rational, deductive capacities, as well as eyes and ears and so on - the physical senses. Rather there's a kind of organic, dynamic sense of the human being and the human being's potential. That potential is cultivated and actuated through an active engagement with the world.

Delicate empiricism, its the way forward.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#433  Postby CharlieM » Apr 22, 2014 11:40 pm

If anyone thinks that consciousness can be quantified, I suggest they read this:
Saving the Appearances - A Study in Idolatry

From Wiki:
Barfield argues that if, as physics suggests, ordinary appearances—including for example colors, sounds, and smells—are a kind of subjective response of the human organism to an unknown underlying base of reality, and if what underlies our phenomena and is real independently of us is only what is suggested by science's experimental hypotheses of a subatomic world; if, that is, we must conclude that there is no such thing as unseen color, unheard sound, or unfelt solidity, because physics tells us the only thing existing independently of us is a subsensible or supersensible base symbolized in some detail by particle theory—then in that case other sciences besides physics, in particular those sciences that deal with the pre-human past, must be profoundly reconceived.

For example, the evolutionary biologist and the archaeologist talk about the pre-human, and even pre-life distant past as if color, sound, solidity, and a phenomenal world rather like that of modern Western humanity were all present even before the advent of life and consciousness, though physics tells us that all that is present in the absence of human beings or life is what can be described quantitatively by the particle theories of physics. Barfield emphasizes that contradiction between physics on the one hand, and on the other, sciences that offer an account of the earth before life and consciousness evolved. Barfield draws out the implications and argues we must learn to conceive of an evolution of phenomena that first begins at the point where life and consciousness manifest. The evolution of phenomena is correlative to the evolution of consciousness. Prior to the point where consciousness, and in particular human consciousness, comes into existence, we should not naively speak as if phenomena similar to our own existed.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#434  Postby SpeedOfSound » Apr 23, 2014 8:16 am

GrahamH wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Link please.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/psych ... l#p1983347

But you stop the process sort of getting anywhere. So. I'll have to accept your lack of imagination and lack of determination.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#435  Postby kennyc » Apr 23, 2014 8:44 am

"Thoughts" are not "Consciousness" - "Consciousness" is not "Thoughts" - first you must understand the difference. Start with the basics as Michio is attempting to do.....you are like one of the blind men describing the elephant. :doh:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#436  Postby kennyc » Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

zoon wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Because modelling and attribution are the appropriate level of discussion.....

No they are not, they are way, way to removed from awareness and basic understanding of what consciousness is, why it exists, what it's purpose is in an evolution of life context.

Start with the basics. Understand the context in which the phenomenon you are studying exists. Experiment, verify, move ahead.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#437  Postby kennyc » Apr 23, 2014 8:51 am

[quote="DavidMcC";p="1986349".....
No. My point is simply that the neuroscience behind C has to make reference to neural circuitry, otherwise it's just psychology!
[/quote]

or worse....philosophical woo!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#438  Postby kennyc » Apr 23, 2014 8:53 am

GrahamH wrote:...

Are you going to explain how thermostats generate semantics anytime soon? I'd like to learn how bimetallic strip can generate virtual beetle in box.

Been there, done that, got the shirt to prove it. --- You don't get it, or refuse to get it -- not much more can be said/done/explained.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#439  Postby kennyc » Apr 23, 2014 8:53 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

This!
:coffee:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#440  Postby GrahamH » Apr 23, 2014 9:07 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Link please.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/psych ... l#p1983347

But you stop the process sort of getting anywhere. So. I'll have to accept your lack of imagination and lack of determination.

SpeedOfSound wrote:Consider the extension to a 10,000 sensor/2000 actuator 'thermostat' with another 20,000 sensors on the outside of the house. Add the ability to learn patterns and to sequentially remember patterns. Add the ability to pull them up out of memory and place them in a currency buffer. Do we now want to call that thing conscious?

Consider the differential between house internals that can be acted on and house externals that cannot. Do we have a bit of a self forming?

We could call it conscious or aware, by some definitions (i.e. not the hard definition). I don't think we can call it subjective, nor say it has experience or "knows what it's like".

What you describe doesn't include generation of semantics. 'ability to learn patterns' is a nod in that direction, but too vague. As far as it goes it has semantics of the designer or human observer (our semantics).

Graziano comes at the issue with a model of attention. Damazzio and Kaku start with body maps. What has your thermostat got?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience