Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

#461  Postby kennyc » Apr 24, 2014 7:33 pm

DavidMcC wrote:My own view is that it is "free will" that brings in the social aspect, not C itself.

Not sure what you are meaning/getting at with that ???

Certainly there is a social component to our (and other herd/group species) that is reflected/exhibited by our brain/mind. This is where the Theory of Mind stuff comes in as well as attributing thoughts, emotions etc to others. But it also comes in in hunting or evading prey or predators. By putting yourself in their position you can better predict their behavior and succeed in the hunt or in escaping.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#462  Postby CharlieM » Apr 25, 2014 11:22 am

DavidMcC wrote:
CharlieM wrote:
Don't mention design, its a touchy subject round these parts :shhh:
Yeah, I know! I hope that most people eventually accepted that natural selection is a (re)designer (of sorts).

I see natural selection with respect to life as equivalent to a stability augmentation system with respect to the flight of an aircraft.

Not a designer but a fine-tuner.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#463  Postby CharlieM » Apr 25, 2014 11:26 am

kennyc wrote:
CharlieM wrote:....
Look at what he says about a flower:
A flower has maybe 10 units of consciousness. It has to understand the temperature, the weather, humidity, where gravity is pointing,

What does he mean by "it has to understand"?

Human consciousness, in relation to the consciousness he attributes to a flower, is not just a matter of degree, but of kind. ....
Where does that leave his idea of consciousness?

Wrong. Pure and simple wrong. 'understanding' has nothing to do with consciousness either, this is your error and probably Graham and others as well. Consciousness is nothing more than awareness. It has nothing to do with understanding, subjective understanding, meaning, semantics or any other shit that you and others want to claim it is. Those things are layers above consciousness.

Where does it leave his idea.....absolutely on the right track. :D

Do you agree that there is such a thing as the evolution of consciousness?
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#464  Postby CharlieM » Apr 25, 2014 11:46 am

kennyc wrote:
GrahamH wrote:.....

Awareness devoid of any understanding is a curious concept.

Ah, now I see, that must be what you are demonstrating for us with all the nonsense you continue to post in these consciousness threads.

Thanks! Great example.

And so you deflect the point he is making with a cheap insult.

When you say, "now I see", obviosly you are talking about more than just seeing with your eyes. You are seeing with your "mind's eye", you are demonstrating awareness of sorts. In what way would you say that a thermostat is aware? Does this also mean that Newton's apple was aware when it fell to the ground or that molecules of water are aware that they are leaving a boiling kettle and rising into the air?
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#465  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 25, 2014 11:50 am

kennyc wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:My own view is that it is "free will" that brings in the social aspect, not C itself.

Certainly there is a social component to our (and other herd/group species) that is reflected/exhibited by our brain/mind. This is where the Theory of Mind stuff comes in as well as attributing thoughts, emotions etc to others. But it also comes in in hunting or evading prey or predators. By putting yourself in their position you can better predict their behavior and succeed in the hunt or in escaping.

Given that much of the "freedom" of the free will is freedom from manipulation BY OTHERS, it seems obvious to me.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#466  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 11:58 am

DavidMcC wrote:
kennyc wrote:

Given that much of the "freedom" of the free will is freedom from manipulation BY OTHERS, it seems obvious to me.

Yes, true, but there is also advantage in cooperation and shared goals. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#467  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 12:08 pm

"Unless dualism or vitalism is true (in which case you have some extra, secret ingredient in you),
you are made of robots--or what comes to the same thing, a collection of trillions of macromolecular
machines. And all of these are ultimately descended from the original macros. So something made of
robots can exhibit genuine consciousness, or genuine intentionality, because you do if anything does."
- Daniel Dennett in Darwin's Dangerous Idea
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#468  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 25, 2014 12:21 pm

kennyc wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
kennyc wrote:

Yes, true, but there is also advantage in cooperation and shared goals. :D

Yes, of course, but there is an element of conflict within any group, as well, partly because our species evolved from a non-social one to a social one.

I do not want to convert this to yet another thread on FW, just because GrahamH claimed that consciousness was another social phenomenon.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#469  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Well, GrahamH is wrong as has already been shown. The social aspect of our (and other herd/group/social animals) existence is really irrelevant to the topic of consciousness. It is something that is layered on top of awareness, consciousness, self-consciousness....
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#470  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 25, 2014 12:54 pm

kennyc wrote:Well, GrahamH is wrong as has already been shown. The social aspect of our (and other herd/group/social animals) existence is really irrelevant to the topic of consciousness. It is something that is layered on top of awareness, consciousness, self-consciousness....

Absolutely, and that is why I pointed out that free will is probably the social phenomenon that he is looking for, and calling C.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#471  Postby GrahamH » Apr 25, 2014 1:06 pm

kennyc wrote:Well, GrahamH is wrong as has already been shown. The social aspect of our (and other herd/group/social animals) existence is really irrelevant to the topic of consciousness. It is something that is layered on top of awareness, consciousness, self-consciousness....

You haven't shown anything Kenny. Even your attempts at humour have been vacuous.

At least your Dennett quote is sensible, but then those are not your words. Do you understand the quote?

The sad thing is you probably think the Dennett quote contradicts me, zoon or Graziano. It doesn't. It's the same basic idea, without any comment on what those 'robots' are doing, how to interpret it to understand how they achieve that result.

You have a serious problem with 'layered on top of awareness' because awareness is part of the thing to be explained, as is the 'layered' bit.

You go to great lengths to rail against physicalist theories of consciousness, and expend no effort in understanding them.

:roll:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#472  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Wrong again Graham in virtually everything you said. Go play in your philosophical fantasy world. If you want to get serious, learn some science, in particular cognitive science. Listen again to what Michio said, re-read Granzio without your bias layered on top. Strive to understand what he is saying, read Dennet's Consciousness Explained. You really have very little understanding of the topic. It's actually quite sad. Are you really serious about understanding consciousness or are you only here to play silly games?
Last edited by kennyc on Apr 25, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#473  Postby GrahamH » Apr 25, 2014 1:12 pm

DavidMcC wrote:I do not want to convert this to yet another thread on FW, just because GrahamH claimed that consciousness was another social phenomenon.

Try to keep up David. You make a big fuss if anyone misrepresents what you intended to say, to try not to make such daft claims about me.

Still, I'll thank you for not just posting asinine 'your wrong!' posts, like kenny.

I did not claim that consciousness was a social phenomenon. I think that social factors provided selective pressures that led to the evolution of model of mind, and that trait developed and co-evolved into model of self (model of subjective mind = consciousness).
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#474  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 1:16 pm

GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:I do not want to convert this to yet another thread on FW, just because GrahamH claimed that consciousness was another social phenomenon.

Try to keep up David. You make a big fuss if anyone misrepresents what you intended to say, to try not to make such daft claims about me.

STill, I'll thank you for not just posting asinine 'your wrong!' posts, like kenny.

I did not claim that consciousness was a social phenomenon. I think that social factors provided selective pressures that led to the evolution of model of mind, and that trait developed and co-evolved into model of self (model of subjective mind = consciousness).

Which as has been explained has nothing to do with consciousness. You seem very very confused at even what consciousness is. You need to back up and start there. And no is has nothing to do with theory of mind or modeling minds. You really need to back up and think seriously about where, why, and how consciousness evolved. You clearly don't understand it.
Last edited by kennyc on Apr 25, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#475  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 1:18 pm

GrahamH wrote:.....
Still, I'll thank you for not just posting asinine 'your wrong!' posts, like kenny.

That's the only thing many of your posts deserve. Particularly since we have been round this block hundreds of times as you well know.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#476  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Please do keep in mind this is the "Psychology and Neuroscience" subforum, not the idiotic philosophy or pseudo-science forum.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#477  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 25, 2014 2:16 pm

GrahamH wrote:

More psycho-warfare, I see.
I did not claim that consciousness was a social phenomenon.

Oh, yes, you did. A couple of pages back, you were making C a fundamentally social phenomenon, no doubt about it.
I think that social factors provided selective pressures that led to the evolution of model of mind, and that trait developed and co-evolved into model of self (model of subjective mind = consciousness).

"Model of mind", sure, but C doesn't require that, it simply incorporates it, because we are a social animal, with social climbing ambitions.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#478  Postby GrahamH » Apr 25, 2014 2:50 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

More psycho-warfare, I see.
I did not claim that consciousness was a social phenomenon.

Oh, yes, you did. A couple of pages back, you were making C a fundamentally social phenomenon, no doubt about it.

Quote me.

DavidMcC wrote:
I think that social factors provided selective pressures that led to the evolution of model of mind, and that trait developed and co-evolved into model of self (model of subjective mind = consciousness).

"Model of mind", sure, but C doesn't require that, it simply incorporates it, because we are a social animal, with social climbing ambitions.

You haven't grasped the concept, which is understandable, nobody else seems to got it either. See Graziano for another take on the same idea.
The idea is that the brain is an information processor that generates a virtual subject, a model of mental phenomena, that is what we (embodied brains running such a model) understand as subject having experiences/thoughts/emotions, where these are models of neurological events affected by sensory stimuli, high-level cerebral activity, hormones etc. The 'model' is more like sensori-motor homunculi and predictive body maps that enable complex motion without conscious effort than anything we would call thinking. (but see Graziano's comments on how the concept of homunculi is grossly simplisic).

The model is not something in mind, it is the implementation of mind (consciousness)
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#479  Postby CharlieM » Apr 25, 2014 3:00 pm

kennyc wrote:"Unless dualism or vitalism is true (in which case you have some extra, secret ingredient in you),
you are made of robots--or what comes to the same thing, a collection of trillions of macromolecular
machines. And all of these are ultimately descended from the original macros. So something made of
robots can exhibit genuine consciousness, or genuine intentionality, because you do if anything does."
- Daniel Dennett in Darwin's Dangerous Idea

Maybe you missed my post where I quoted a Wiki entry on Owen Barfield:

Barfield argues that if, as physics suggests, ordinary appearances—including for example colors, sounds, and smells—are a kind of subjective response of the human organism to an unknown underlying base of reality, and if what underlies our phenomena and is real independently of us is only what is suggested by science's experimental hypotheses of a subatomic world; if, that is, we must conclude that there is no such thing as unseen color, unheard sound, or unfelt solidity, because physics tells us the only thing existing independently of us is a subsensible or supersensible base symbolized in some detail by particle theory—then in that case other sciences besides physics, in particular those sciences that deal with the pre-human past, must be profoundly reconceived.

For example, the evolutionary biologist and the archaeologist talk about the pre-human, and even pre-life distant past as if color, sound, solidity, and a phenomenal world rather like that of modern Western humanity were all present even before the advent of life and consciousness, though physics tells us that all that is present in the absence of human beings or life is what can be described quantitatively by the particle theories of physics. Barfield emphasizes that contradiction between physics on the one hand, and on the other, sciences that offer an account of the earth before life and consciousness evolved. Barfield draws out the implications and argues we must learn to conceive of an evolution of phenomena that first begins at the point where life and consciousness manifest. The evolution of phenomena is correlative to the evolution of consciousness. Prior to the point where consciousness, and in particular human consciousness, comes into existence, we should not naively speak as if phenomena similar to our own existed.

As he writes in Saving the Appearances:

Whatever may be thought about the "unrepresented" background of our perceptions, the familiar world which we see and know around us-the blue sky with white clouds in it, the noise of a waterfall or a motor bus, the shapes of flowers and their scent, the gesture and utterance of animals and the faces of our friends-the world too, which (apart from the special inquiry of physics) experts of all kinds methodically investigate-is a system of collective representations. The time comes when we must either accept this as the truth about the world or reject the theories of physics as an elaborate delusion. We cannot have it both ways.

If you are unsure of what he means by "collective representations", see here

In speaking about robots and macromolecular machines, Dennett is transferring modern, human, Western consciousness to a time long before it came into existence. This is unacceptable anthropomorphism.
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#480  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 3:19 pm

I missed nothing, nor are you correct. Since you are clearly unsure, I suggest you drop the philosophical bs and take a scientific approach instead of making up shit.

Blowfield is clearly wanting humans to be special, evolution says completely the opposite.

And no Dennett is not doing what you claim, lose your bias and look at what he really said.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience