Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

#501  Postby GrahamH » Apr 25, 2014 4:33 pm

kennyc wrote:On thing Grazio says in his Aeon article is

"Early in evolution, perhaps hundreds of millions of years ago, brains evolved a specific set of computations to construct that model. At that point, ‘I am aware of X’ entered their repertoire of possible computations."

Which is in fact wrong. What he is talking about there is self-consciousness, not plain vanilla consciousness.

No, you are confusing his representation of information using language 'I am aware of X' with a literal use of language in early brains. He has pointed this error out, as so have I. The 'I' there is not conceptual self-awareness, it's low-level mute control system 'functional awareness' - 'acquiring and using information about...'. It is precisely 'Plain vanilla consciousness'.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#502  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 4:35 pm

GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:I do not want to convert this to yet another thread on FW, just because GrahamH claimed that consciousness was another social phenomenon.

Try to keep up David. You make a big fuss if anyone misrepresents what you intended to say, to try not to make such daft claims about me.

Still, I'll thank you for not just posting asinine 'your wrong!' posts, like kenny.

I rarely make "you're wrong" posts without saying what is wrong.
I did not claim that consciousness was a social phenomenon. I think that social factors provided selective pressures that led to the evolution of model of mind, and that trait developed and co-evolved into model of self (model of subjective mind = consciousness).

Looking back, I see that my post #460 referred to the "social aspect". I am sure that that was because AT THE TIME I MADE THAT POST", you had apparently made the "C is social" claim. I'm sure Kenny will back me up.
As the text that I was responding to is no longer visible, I conclude that this is another case of editting by the mischievous former mod. Some may remember from a couple of years back, when I had reason to believe that some people's posts were being tampered with, then changed back, after the damage had been done.I urge you all to look out for temporary unauthorised edits to posts!

You can't find the claim because I didn't make the claim.
It may well be the case that at the time you posted you thought I had made such a claim, but that just shows you should read a little more carefully. I suspect you may have taken a post by zoon as one of mine, and read it that way. I'm pretty sure zoon did not mean that individuals are only conscious in social situations, but a couple of his posts might be read that way.

You made a mistake. Don't spin elaborate conspiracy theories about it. We all make mistakes sometimes.

I'm not going to go digging back through all the cesspool posts you've made, but certainly you claimed in agreement with the T.O.M. bubbas that consciousness evolved to model consciousness in others because of social reasons and that consciousness came from modeling oneself in the same manner....which is simply horseshit.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#503  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 4:36 pm

GrahamH wrote:

"Early in evolution, perhaps hundreds of millions of years ago, brains evolved a specific set of computations to construct that model. At that point, ‘I am aware of X’ entered their repertoire of possible computations."

Which is in fact wrong. What he is talking about there is self-consciousness, not plain vanilla consciousness.

No, you are confusing his representation of information using language 'I am aware of X' with a literal use of language in early brains. He has pointed this error out, as so have I. The 'I' there is not conceptual self-awareness, it's low-level mute control system 'functional awareness' - 'acquiring and using information about...'. It is precisely 'Plain vanilla consciousness'.

I'm not confusing anything, you just don't appear to understand what his position is, what his theory is saying. I suggest you re-read not only that article but his other available work and see if you still have the same bias.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#504  Postby GrahamH » Apr 25, 2014 4:45 pm

kennyc wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

I'm not confusing anything, you just don't appear to understand what his position is, what his theory is saying. I suggest you re-read not only that article but his other available work and see if you still have the same bias.

"‘I am aware of X’ entered their repertoire of possible computations."
COMPUTATIONS, not 'thoughts' or 'concepts' or anything other than brain function.

You are obviously wrong, and if you'd thought it through you could have saved yourself the embarrassment of yet another idiotic "you don't understand!" post.
If you ever bothered to explain your position in nay-saying the posts of others it might just reveal to you why you so frequently get it wrong. This is a good example.

You quote Graziano: " perhaps hundreds of millions of years ago"
Is this a reference to conceptually self-aware language-using animals? No, clearly not.
"brains evolved a specific set of computations to construct that model"
Is that a reference to a conceptual or mathematical model? He has been clear he does not mean that by 'model', so no, he means primitive brain 'information processing', not self-awareness or language use.

I've read the articles, and I understood them a lot better than you did.
Last edited by GrahamH on Apr 25, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#505  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Clearly no understanding of what he is saying, and your interpretation is clearly tainted with your biases.

:roll:

Please strive to add something useful to the discussion in place of your tired old rehashed arguments.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#506  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 25, 2014 4:57 pm

kennyc wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Try to keep up David. You make a big fuss if anyone misrepresents what you intended to say, to try not to make such daft claims about me.

Still, I'll thank you for not just posting asinine 'your wrong!' posts, like kenny.

I rarely make "you're wrong" posts without saying what is wrong.
I did not claim that consciousness was a social phenomenon. I think that social factors provided selective pressures that led to the evolution of model of mind, and that trait developed and co-evolved into model of self (model of subjective mind = consciousness).

Looking back, I see that my post #460 referred to the "social aspect". I am sure that that was because AT THE TIME I MADE THAT POST", you had apparently made the "C is social" claim. I'm sure Kenny will back me up.
As the text that I was responding to is no longer visible, I conclude that this is another case of editting by the mischievous former mod. Some may remember from a couple of years back, when I had reason to believe that some people's posts were being tampered with, then changed back, after the damage had been done.I urge you all to look out for temporary unauthorised edits to posts!

You can't find the claim because I didn't make the claim.
It may well be the case that at the time you posted you thought I had made such a claim, but that just shows you should read a little more carefully. I suspect you may have taken a post by zoon as one of mine, and read it that way. I'm pretty sure zoon did not mean that individuals are only conscious in social situations, but a couple of his posts might be read that way.

You made a mistake. Don't spin elaborate conspiracy theories about it. We all make mistakes sometimes.

I'm not going to go digging back through all the cesspool posts you've made, but certainly you claimed in agreement with the T.O.M. bubbas that consciousness evolved to model consciousness in others because of social reasons and that consciousness came from modeling oneself in the same manner....which is simply horseshit.

I was hoping you might be able to confirm whether posts have been edited (twice), to make it look temporarily as if Graham is making a strong link between C and sociality.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#507  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 5:08 pm

As I said, I'm not playing this game, but yes I remember him strongly linking consciousness to TOM and him at least agreeing that it arose from social interaction. Which as I said is horseshit.

Anyway. This is definitely devolving again so......I'm gonna go write some poetry.... :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#508  Postby Teuton » Apr 25, 2014 5:14 pm

kennyc wrote:
No, I don't deny subjective experience, but it has little to nothing to do with consciousness, what consciousness is, or why we have it.

Consciousness is the state of having subjective experiences, of being a subject of experience.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#509  Postby DavidMcC » Apr 25, 2014 5:21 pm

kennyc wrote:As I said, I'm not playing this game, but yes I remember him strongly linking consciousness to TOM and him at least agreeing that it arose from social interaction. Which as I said is horseshit.

Anyway. This is definitely devolving again so......I'm gonna go write some poetry.... :D

It's not a game, Kenny. I've PM'd a mod, and raised it in the "Feedback" forum, as well.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#510  Postby Teuton » Apr 25, 2014 5:22 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Do chemists and physicists refer, in the course of their scientific endeavours, to particles or molecules as being aware of their environment in anything other than a metaphorical sense? One might say a mass 'wants to fall in a gravitational field' but it isn't meant literally. An electron might be said to 'feel the influence of a neighbour' or even, on a particularly bad day to 'be aware of the protons in the nucleus'. but these are loose metaphorical talk that does not imply that these entities are 'extracting and using information about their environment'.
All physical entities may interact, but calling that 'feedback' or 'awareness' doesn't seem to be sensible, and is counter-productive in a discussion on consciousness, where, as shown by the standard definitions, the word means something rather different than just physical interactions.

Of course, if there is a consciousness-independent kind of awareness, so that even nonconscient objects can have awareness, the question is where to draw the line between those nonconscient objects having awareness and those ones lacking awareness. The danger is that if awareness is independent of consciousness, the concept of awareness is used too inflationarily and only more or less metaphorically. It is certainly not the case that all causal processes or interactions can meaningfully be said to involve awareness.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#511  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Teuton wrote:
kennyc wrote:
No, I don't deny subjective experience, but it has little to nothing to do with consciousness, what consciousness is, or why we have it.

Consciousness is the state of having subjective experiences, of being a subject of experience.

Nope. Completely wrong.

Consciousness is nothing more than evolved awareness.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#512  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 5:56 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
kennyc wrote:As I said, I'm not playing this game, but yes I remember him strongly linking consciousness to TOM and him at least agreeing that it arose from social interaction. Which as I said is horseshit.

It's not a game, Kenny. I've PM'd a mod, and raised it in the "Feedback" forum, as well.

Sorry to continue this, but you should let it go. It's not that big a deal.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#513  Postby kennyc » Apr 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Teuton wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Do chemists and physicists refer, in the course of their scientific endeavours, to particles or molecules as being aware of their environment in anything other than a metaphorical sense? One might say a mass 'wants to fall in a gravitational field' but it isn't meant literally. An electron might be said to 'feel the influence of a neighbour' or even, on a particularly bad day to 'be aware of the protons in the nucleus'. but these are loose metaphorical talk that does not imply that these entities are 'extracting and using information about their environment'.
All physical entities may interact, but calling that 'feedback' or 'awareness' doesn't seem to be sensible, and is counter-productive in a discussion on consciousness, where, as shown by the standard definitions, the word means something rather different than just physical interactions.

Of course, if there is a consciousness-independent kind of awareness, so that even nonconscient objects can have awareness, the question is where to draw the line between those nonconscient objects having awareness and those ones lacking awareness. The danger is that if awareness is independent of consciousness, the concept of awareness is used too inflationarily and only more or less metaphorically. It is certainly not the case that all causal processes or interactions can meaningfully be said to involve awareness.

Awareness is typically associated with and said to apply to living things. Laws of physical and chemical interaction -- processes which follow those laws and interact accordingly are not typically said to be aware, but in a manner of speaking they are in the same way very low level awareness of living things are (such as viruses, cells, bacteria, etc). After all the lowest level processes of living things are really nothing more that chemicals following the laws of physics. Awareness is built upon that base in living things and through evolution become higher level awareness, consciousness and self consciousness.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#514  Postby CharlieM » Apr 26, 2014 10:24 am

GrahamH wrote:
CharlieM wrote:In speaking about robots and macromolecular machines, Dennett is transferring modern, human, Western consciousness to a time long before it came into existence. This is unacceptable anthropomorphism.

No, he isn't. He is suggesting that consciousness is an activity of some such 'robots', that consciousness and subjective phenomena depend on that function and therefore, conciousness and perception does not pre-date that function. The formation of the constituent parts of the robot function can, of course, pre-date the the performance of the function.

Dennett is not projecting consciousness to a time before it came into existence.

Idealism and mind-dependent world is a topic for discussion, but not in this forum of psychology and neuroscience.

He is assuming that robot-like enitities and macromolecular machines predate human consciousness, but these things are the product of human consciousness, they are our "collective representations". We humans look at nature and aspects of it and do what we always do. We project our cultural trends onto nature and imagine that we are apprehending objective reality. In the age of heavy industry and commercial competition animals were mechanical machines competing for their place in the system, in the age of computers and microchips life is the product of information storage systems and networks of data retrieval. Feedback systems are coming into their own in human technology so consciousness must be nothing but feedback loops.

Saul Bellow:
We are well supplied with interesting writers, but Owen Barfield is not content to be merely interesting. His ambition is to set us free. Free from what? From the prison we have made for ourselves by our ways of knowing, our limited and false habits of thought, our "common sense." These, he convincingly argues, have produced a "world of outsides with no insides to them," a brittle surface world, an object world in which we ourselves are mere objects. It is not only what we perceive but also what we fail to perceive that determines the quality of the world we live in, and what we have collectively chosen not to perceive is the full reality of consciousness, the "inside" of everything that exists.

And from owenbarfield.org:
Though questions of the nature and evolution of consciousness lie at the heart of every word Owen Barfield wrote, he acknowledges the extreme difficulty of understanding the nature of consciousness at all...

He knew, too, that the assumption “that, because consciousness is contingent on a physical organism, it must be the product of such an organism” (Rediscovery of Meaning 31), though currently common sense, must be incorrect, for “[Consciousness] resembles a spark located within the brain much less than it resembles a diffused light focused into the whole body from without” (Language, Evolution of Consciousness, and the Recovery of Human Meaning).

And he was firmly convinced that the question of consciousness is much more than an abstruse epistemological dilemma, for:

Barfield:
If civilization is to be saved, people must come more and more to realize that our consciousness is not something spatially enclosed in the skin or in the skull or in the brain; that it is not only our inside, but the inside of the world as a whole. That people should not merely be able to propound as a theory . . . but that it should become more and more their actual experience. . . . That, and also the overcoming of the total obsession there is today, with the Darwinian view of evolution—of consciousness or mind having emerged from a material, but entirely unconscious universe. Putting it very shortly, to realize, not simply as a theory but as a conviction of common sense, that in the history of the world, matter has emerged from mind and not mind from matter.

Our awareness of self comes through the fact that we have the concept of our subjectivity reflected against the concept of the objective world out there. But our experience of self is not confined to our thinking brains. If I stub my toe I know that my sense of self extends right down to my feet at the very least.

If Kaku can have a theory of consciousness then so can I. My theory is that animals do have self-consciousness just as humans do. But animal self-consciousness is at the level of the group, the species or the kind. It is not at the level of the individual as in humans although the closer an animal's intelligence approaches human intelligence then the closer its consciousness approaches awareness of individual self. Exceptional individual animals may display the beginnings of self-consciousness as has been observed in a few individuals. Termite mounds and natural beehives reveal signs of being intelligently designed with their advanced air conditioning systems. In these cases the intelligent entity responsible for the design is the colony and the individual insects are better regarded as the organs of this entity. Instinctive behaviour points to group intelligence and learned behaviour points to individual intelligence. The interesting thing about a dung beetle is its instinctive behaviour which is common to the group. The interesting thing about humans is our learned behaviour and this determines our individual biographies of which no two are the same.

When it comes to consciousness Kaku places humans at the highest level, I place humans, not at the highest, but at the most condensed.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#515  Postby CharlieM » Apr 26, 2014 10:30 am

More relevant Barfield quotes:
Barfield dismisses the epigenetic approach to brain/mind that arises under the sway of the brain-physical conception as logically indefensible:

In so far as you insist on talking about the brain instead of the mind… the series of brains, observing and observed, is rather like the procession of oozlem birds. Each bird consumes the one behind it. But how do you deal with the last bird in the procession, or how does it deal with itself?

…if you start from the brain and say it “constructs” the world it is aware of, you seem to leave out of account the fact that the brain as an object of observation is itself part of a world which you yourself have constructed. Surely you have got to start with the art of construction and not with the brain! (Worlds Apart 56)

Brain-physical thinking fails to account for the very self-referentiality that makes the hypothesis of the brain-physical possible in the first place, as Barfield, his impatience apparent, demonstrates:

You may go on gabbling . . . words like supernaturalism, dualism, psychosomatic (and I have no quarrel with that word, properly used), input, feedback, output and the rest of it, till you are black in the face. You may, for all I know, succeed in detecting a physical or electrical charge in the brain for the airiest fragment of a frolic of a half-thought that ever hovered for an instant in the fancy of Mercutio. But you can never, without talking nonsense, obliterate the ultimate cleavage between (a) consciousness itself and (b) that of which it is conscious.
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#516  Postby Rumraket » Apr 26, 2014 12:24 pm

CharlieM wrote:More relevant Barfield quotes:
Barfield dismisses the epigenetic approach to brain/mind that arises under the sway of the brain-physical conception as logically indefensible:

Barfield wrote:…if you start from the brain and say it “constructs” the world it is aware of, you seem to leave out of account the fact that the brain as an object of observation is itself part of a world which you yourself have constructed.

So what?

Barfield wrote:Surely you have got to start with the art of construction and not with the brain! (Worlds Apart 56)

Why?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#517  Postby Rumraket » Apr 26, 2014 12:30 pm

CharlieM wrote:And he was firmly convinced that the question of consciousness is much more than an abstruse epistemological dilemma, for:

Barfield:
If civilization is to be saved, people must come more and more to realize that our consciousness is not something spatially enclosed in the skin or in the skull or in the brain; that it is not only our inside, but the inside of the world as a whole.

If civilization is to be saved? From what? This guy's incoherent Deepity Chopstick-like pseudophilosophical ramblings?

Why am I not surprised to see you impressed by this kind of gobbledygook. :crazy:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#518  Postby GrahamH » Apr 26, 2014 12:53 pm

In so far as you insist on talking about the brain instead of the mind… the series of brains, observing and observed, is rather like the procession of oozlem birds. Each bird consumes the one behind it. But how do you deal with the last bird in the procession, or how does it deal with itself?

…if you start from the brain and say it “constructs” the world it is aware of, you seem to leave out of account the fact that the brain as an object of observation is itself part of a world which you yourself have constructed. Surely you have got to start with the art of construction and not with the brain! (Worlds Apart 56)

Nobody thinks that brains construct worlds. If brains are parts of a physical world then they construct views of the world, not the world.

You really are in the wrong forum with this. Try Philosophy.

Brain-physical thinking fails to account for the very self-referentiality that makes the hypothesis of the brain-physical possible in the first place, as Barfield, his impatience apparent, demonstrates:

Utter backward nonsense.
If you start with Idealist assumption then you create this sort of nonsense about physicalism.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#519  Postby CharlieM » Apr 26, 2014 1:01 pm

Rumraket wrote:

Barfield wrote:…if you start from the brain and say it “constructs” the world it is aware of, you seem to leave out of account the fact that the brain as an object of observation is itself part of a world which you yourself have constructed.

So what?

Well if the foundations are shaky then the building will collapse.

Rumraket wrote:
Barfield wrote:Surely you have got to start with the art of construction and not with the brain! (Worlds Apart 56)

Why?

Because if you start with the physical brain as the source then you sart with an unjustified assumption. This is why Descartes tried to strip everything away that caused him to doubt so that he could begin at a fundamental starting point.

By the way, welcome back :)
CharlieM

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#520  Postby GrahamH » Apr 26, 2014 1:10 pm

CharlieM wrote:Because if you start with the physical brain as the source then you sart with an unjustified assumption. This is why Descartes tried to strip everything away that caused him to doubt so that he could begin at a fundamental starting point.

It is unjustified to assume access to a 'fundamental starting point'.
If we start from a physical brain then Descartes was wrong.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience