The Stephen King Thread

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#261  Postby campermon » Feb 29, 2016 9:30 pm

:nod:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#262  Postby Coastal » Mar 01, 2016 7:27 am

I've said it a hundred times, I'll say it again: his special skill is building characters and places. Within a page or two you KNOW that character.

I feel like I've actually BEEN to New England.

We never visited NE when we were in the US, but for all intents and purposes, I've been there.
Coastal

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#263  Postby Fallible » Mar 01, 2016 7:58 am

Yep. He was never 'just' a horror writer; he's far more rounded, and actually I don't think a lot of his books could be properly classified as horrors.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#264  Postby Coastal » Mar 01, 2016 9:16 am

True. I think I have a more active imagination than he has. If I could give him the ideas and he wrote it, we would be majestic.
Coastal

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#265  Postby Fallible » Mar 01, 2016 10:04 am

:lol:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#266  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 01, 2016 11:21 am

Agree with the couple of posts above. I read 'It' a few years back and i didn't really care for the horror elements. I kept reading because I loved everything about the kids playing together in the woods. Reminded me of my childhood.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#267  Postby laklak » Mar 01, 2016 9:33 pm

I knew everything in Oz tries to kill you, but I didn't realize you had killer clown spiders in the storm drains.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#268  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 01, 2016 9:34 pm

laklak wrote:I knew everything in Oz tries to kill you, but I didn't realize you had killer clown spiders in the storm drains.

You seem to be a tad confused, Lak.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#269  Postby laklak » Mar 01, 2016 9:41 pm

What's unusual about that?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#270  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 01, 2016 9:46 pm

laklak wrote:What's unusual about that?

:dunno: Goes with the territory, I s'pose.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#271  Postby laklak » Mar 01, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm no spring chicken, I'll have you know!
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#272  Postby Pulsar » Mar 01, 2016 9:59 pm

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Stephen King Confirms Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Will Star In 'The Dark Tower'

After many years, and many attempts, a film version of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower is finally getting underway with Idris Elba confirmed as the gunslinger and Matthew McConaughey as the mystical foe known as the man in black.

Nikolaj Arcel, who is best known for the 2012 Danish film A Royal Affair and for co-writing the Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, says he will start shooting The Dark Tower in South Africa in seven weeks, and Sony Pictures plans to have it in theaters on Jan. 13, 2017.

But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982. “[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says.

Arcel declined to specify which books his movie focus on, but he did offer this clue: “A lot of it takes place in our day, in the modern world.”

(continues)

I have a bad feeling about this...
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#273  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Pulsar wrote:http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Stephen King Confirms Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Will Star In 'The Dark Tower'

After many years, and many attempts, a film version of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower is finally getting underway with Idris Elba confirmed as the gunslinger and Matthew McConaughey as the mystical foe known as the man in black.

Nikolaj Arcel, who is best known for the 2012 Danish film A Royal Affair and for co-writing the Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, says he will start shooting The Dark Tower in South Africa in seven weeks, and Sony Pictures plans to have it in theaters on Jan. 13, 2017.

But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982. “[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says.

Arcel declined to specify which books his movie focus on, but he did offer this clue: “A lot of it takes place in our day, in the modern world.”

(continues)

I have a bad feeling about this...

Yeah. I think I'd rather just remember it all as it was in the beginning.... There are other worlds than these.....
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#274  Postby Fallible » Mar 01, 2016 10:08 pm

Matthew McFuckingConaughey??? Still, reading that series turned into one of the most soul destroying experiences of my entire life to date, so...
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#275  Postby laklak » Mar 01, 2016 10:14 pm

I don't know whether to be deliriously happy or completely terrified. Felt the same way about Lord of the Rings, though, and that turned out all right. They'll have to eviscerate the story to fit it into one movie, unless they intend to pull a Peter Jackson Hobbit move on it.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#276  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 01, 2016 10:17 pm

laklak wrote:I'm no spring chicken, I'll have you know!

Just because you're old, Lak, doesn't mean you have the automatic right to behave as though ga-ga is the only way to go.

:roll:
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#277  Postby Fallible » Mar 01, 2016 10:18 pm

laklak wrote:I don't know whether to be deliriously happy or completely terrified. Felt the same way about Lord of the Rings, though, and that turned out all right. They'll have to eviscerate the story to fit it into one movie, unless they intend to pull a Peter Jackson Hobbit move on it.

I reckon starting in the middle basically means that the beginnings of the story will never be told. Now The Gunslinger was my least favourite book from the series but still. This situation does not pander to every whim of my demanding, anal personality and that should be of utmost importance to everyone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#278  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Fallible wrote:This situation does not pander to every whim of my demanding, anal personality and that should be of utmost importance to everyone.

:scratch:

Whut?
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#279  Postby aliihsanasl » Mar 01, 2016 10:31 pm

They canceled The Talisman project and now shooting The Dark Tower :smug: how nice, The Talisman is my favourite novel and the first book I read. For months I checked the progress on IMDB then learned cancellation and now this, a much more expensive project.

I didn't read the whole article but they can't fit it to one movie, it has to be a mini series like other King adaptations, 6 hours or something.
Last edited by aliihsanasl on Mar 01, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#280  Postby laklak » Mar 01, 2016 10:31 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
laklak wrote:I'm no spring chicken, I'll have you know!

Just because you're old, Lak, doesn't mean you have the automatic right to behave as though ga-ga is the only way to go.

:roll:

Are you talking about that funny singer woman? Dame Ga Ga, something like that?

I only listen to Lawrence Welk, I do love a good polka.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books