Abortion clinics are 'legal cover' for Satanic child sacrifi

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Abortion clinics are 'legal cover' for Satanic child sacrifi

#101  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 13, 2015 10:15 pm

The facts on Margaret Sanger's racial views:

Wikipedia wrote:She collaborated with African-American leaders and professionals who saw a need for birth control in their communities. In 1929, James H. Hubert, a black social worker and leader of New York's Urban League, asked Sanger to open a clinic in Harlem.[93] Sanger secured funding from the Julius Rosenwald Fund and opened the clinic, staffed with black doctors, in 1930. The clinic was directed by a 15-member advisory board consisting of black doctors, nurses, clergy, journalists, and social workers. The clinic was publicized in the African-American press and in black churches, and it received the approval of W. E. B. Du Bois, founder of the NAACP.[94] Sanger did not tolerate bigotry among her staff, nor would she tolerate any refusal to work within interracial projects.[95] Sanger's work with minorities earned praise from Martin Luther King, Jr., in his 1966 acceptance speech for the Margaret Sanger award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Sanger#Race

Moral of the story is, it's okay to lie out your fucking teeth on national television if its to promote your cash cow religion. Praise the lard and send us your seed (cash).
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)

Birthday
Print view this post

#102  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 13, 2015 11:14 pm

AMYNTAS wrote:As I understood the conversation, we were talking about positions and understanding internal to Christianity.

You might have been, but the rest of us weren't. We were considering this from the standpoint of "what facts are available".

AMYNTAS wrote:These discussions about ideas internal to Christianity do not need to be shown to be true.

So you're effectively saying here that it doesn't matter if your doctrine is based upon a gigantic collection of made up shit, so long as enough people treat that made up shit as fact? I think I'd prefer something a little more substantive to base my thoughts on.

AMYNTAS wrote:For example, when the person said that God aborted more babies than we know, no one said, "That's just an assertion"

Oh wait, this was yet another of those means by which we elucidate the fallacies, internal contradictions, factual errors, and untestable assertions endemic to supernaturalism, namely by taking one of more of those assertions, and demonstrating how those assertions lead to a conclusion that is inconvenient and uncomfortable for supernaturalist apologetics. And as a corollary, provides yet more evidence pointing to the discardability of those assertions on the part of those of us who don't subscribe to mythology, except for entertainment purposes.

AMYNTAS wrote:for this idea is something that Christians are likely committed to even if God does not exist.

So even if the central assertion of your doctrine is WRONG, you're still committed to the doctrine?

I don't even have to call in any physicists here in order for this to be laughable.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#103  Postby AMYNTAS » Oct 14, 2015 12:02 am

Calilasseia wrote:
AMYNTAS wrote:As I understood the conversation, we were talking about positions and understanding internal to Christianity.

You might have been, but the rest of us weren't. We were considering this from the standpoint of "what facts are available".

AMYNTAS wrote:These discussions about ideas internal to Christianity do not need to be shown to be true.

So you're effectively saying here that it doesn't matter if your doctrine is based upon a gigantic collection of made up shit, so long as enough people treat that made up shit as fact? I think I'd prefer something a little more substantive to base my thoughts on.

AMYNTAS wrote:For example, when the person said that God aborted more babies than we know, no one said, "That's just an assertion"

Oh wait, this was yet another of those means by which we elucidate the fallacies, internal contradictions, factual errors, and untestable assertions endemic to supernaturalism, namely by taking one of more of those assertions, and demonstrating how those assertions lead to a conclusion that is inconvenient and uncomfortable for supernaturalist apologetics. And as a corollary, provides yet more evidence pointing to the discardability of those assertions on the part of those of us who don't subscribe to mythology, except for entertainment purposes.

AMYNTAS wrote:for this idea is something that Christians are likely committed to even if God does not exist.

So even if the central assertion of your doctrine is WRONG, you're still committed to the doctrine?

I don't even have to call in any physicists here in order for this to be laughable.

It is a premise internal to Christianity, one that Christians are committed to even if God does not exist. I did not say that Christians are committed to it even if they learn or come to know that God does not exist. Another example would be with the moral realists. Even if there are no real, objective moral truths, that's the position they're committed to inasmuch as they are moral realists. It might be that moral realism is false, though that would not change their commits as moral realists.

The post I responded to from Alan B said this:

Sick delusional bastards.

Planned parenthood = abortion. Bollocks!

Are they not aware that their 'God' aborts more than they can imagine?

In my judgement, the last sentence brings the discussion to premises or ideas internal to Christianity. In response to this, I am free to speak about other ideas internal to Christianity without showing that these ideas are, in fact, true. What matters is that they are Christian; it does not matter, in this discussion, if they are true.

We can agree to disagree on this matter. It does not matter that much.
AMYNTAS
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: AMYNTAS

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 14, 2015 1:47 am

AMYNTAS wrote:It is a premise internal to Christianity, one that Christians are committed to even if God does not exist. I did not say that Christians are committed to it even if they learn or come to know that God does not exist.

Ah, at last we're seeing something resembling rigour here. Namely, you're admitting that someone who alights upon actual knowledge that a given assertion is wrong, may well abandon that assertion. However, there's still a big problem with the first part, in which you're still effectively admitting that supernaturalists will continue to treat their favourite mythological assertions as purportedly constituting fact, even if those assertions are in fact wrong, simply because they lack the data. Well, once again, the absence of any reliable data on the subject should be leading to suspicion of those assertions right from the outset. Indeed, this is one of the central, and fatal, flaws at the heart of all doctrine centred world views, the failure to apply proper suspicion to data-free assertions.

AMYNTAS wrote:Another example would be with the moral realists. Even if there are no real, objective moral truths, that's the position they're committed to inasmuch as they are moral realists. It might be that moral realism is false, though that would not change their commits [sic] as moral realists.

Actually I'd like to think that any properly diligent student of ethics would, the moment data of the requisite sort was alighted upon, modify that commitment the moment the data and its implications were known.

AMYNTAS wrote:The post I responded to from Alan B said this:

Sick delusional bastards.

Planned parenthood = abortion. Bollocks!

Are they not aware that their 'God' aborts more than they can imagine?

In my judgement, the last sentence brings the discussion to premises or ideas internal to Christianity.

Except that, of course, whilst these ideas might have originated with a particular religion, they cease to be the exclusive purview thereof, the moment those ideas are disseminated publicly. Those ideas become a free-fire zone on the artillery range of discourse. Let me explain how this is working here, shall I, with respect to this particular topic and the assertions extant therein?

First, we have the assertion that a family planning organisation is purely devoted to abortion, an assertion that is known to be plain, flat, wrong to everyone who has actually bothered to check the data. Though I've noticed a particular species of discoursive duplicity endemic to anti-abortion campaigning - again, more of that data I keep reminding people to pay attention to.

Second, we have the assertion that abortion is universally wrong, regardless of circumstances, which tends to be an assertion that is favoured by the sort of people who erect nonsense such as the first assertion. This assertion is questionable on several grounds, one particularly inconvenient one for certain classes of anti-abortion campaigners being the little matter of ectopic pregnancy. Now for those who are unfamiliar with the data here, an ectopic pregnancy occurs when a fertilised egg mistakenly implants in a fallopian tube instead of the uterus. The trouble with this being, that in the absence of medical intervention, it's invariably fatal for both mother and the would-be child, and happens to be an extremely nasty, painful way for a woman to die. Consequently, failure to perform an abortion in this instance condemns that woman to a hideous death, and does nothing to save the child. On the other hand, performing the abortion spares the woman said hideous, painful death, and bestows upon her the opportunity, at some future date, to have a child that doesn't implant mistakenly in the fallopian tube, and which she actively wants to bring to term. There are other circumstances I can think of where an abortion would be preferable to no abortion, but this happens to be the most glaringly obvious one.

Third, we have the assertion that Mr Invisible Magic Man from mythology is purportedly responsible for all of the occurrences that take place in our daily lives, including the occurrences that surround conception etc. The problem here being that if this assertion is true, every miscarriage constitutes, under the terms of this assertion, a "divine abortion". Which inconveniently conflicts with the second assertion above. Attempts to try and "resolve" this inconvenient conflict between those two assertions, inevitably involves rolling out yet another blind assertion, to the effect that Mr Invisible Magic Man possesses special privileges with respect to the matter, and that anything Mr Invisible Magic Man does carries with it some ineffable seal of ethical untouchability, even when this involves actions that would be considered heinously punishable if performed by us humans. I'm sure it won't take long for even elementary contemplation about this latter assertion, to lead inexorably to some fairly morbid conclusions.

The idea that analysing this conundrum is somehow the exclusive purview of a particular group of mythology adherents, quite simply, doesn't wash.

AMYNTAS wrote:In response to this, I am free to speak about other ideas internal to Christianity without showing that these ideas are, in fact, true.

Unless of course you wish for others to treat them as true. But that tends to be what we see so often amongst supernaturalists who come here.

AMYNTAS wrote:What matters is that they are Christian; it does not matter, in this discussion, if they are true.

Are you serious?

You're trying to tell us that doctrinal appropriation of an idea counts for more than its truth value?

I'll give you three guesses what I think of that.

AMYNTAS wrote:We can agree to disagree on this matter. It does not matter that much.

Actually in the interests of preserving proper standards of discourse, it matters a great deal. Hence my devoting attention thereto.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2015 3:55 am

AMYNTAS wrote:
As I understood the conversation, we were talking about positions and understanding internal to Christianity.

No we weren't - you can see the topic. Just because GIA tried a diversionary ball to left field, it doesn't mean you're obliged to catch it and start running.

This statement received what is known in these parts as Point and Laugh.

All statements, regardless of what they're about, have to be shown to be true to be taken seriously by other people.

AMYNTAS wrote: For example, when the person said that God aborted more babies than we know, no one said, "That's just an assertion", for this idea is something that Christians are likely committed to even if God does not exist.

It's not an assertion - it's a natural consequence of other people's assertions regarding the manner in which god is supposed to operate. By and large, no one here actually believes in god's existence, so they'd hardly be seriously blaming god for anything.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby AMYNTAS » Oct 14, 2015 4:35 am

Calilasseia wrote:

Except that, of course, whilst these ideas might have originated with a particular religion, they cease to be the exclusive purview thereof, the moment those ideas are disseminated publicly. Those ideas become a free-fire zone on the artillery range of discourse. Let me explain how this is working here, shall I, with respect to this particular topic and the assertions extant therein?

First, we have the assertion that a family planning organisation is purely devoted to abortion, an assertion that is known to be plain, flat, wrong to everyone who has actually bothered to check the data. Though I've noticed a particular species of discoursive duplicity endemic to anti-abortion campaigning - again, more of that data I keep reminding people to pay attention to.

I do not know what relevance the first paragraph has on this discussion. I did not speak about origination, public or the public.

Whether a family planning organization does or does not purely devote itself to abortion is also irrelevant to my concern.

Second, we have the assertion that abortion is universally wrong, regardless of circumstances, which tends to be an assertion that is favoured by the sort of people who erect nonsense such as the first assertion. This assertion is questionable on several grounds, one particularly inconvenient one for certain classes of anti-abortion campaigners being the little matter of ectopic pregnancy. Now for those who are unfamiliar with the data here, an ectopic pregnancy occurs when a fertilised egg mistakenly implants in a fallopian tube instead of the uterus. The trouble with this being, that in the absence of medical intervention, it's invariably fatal for both mother and the would-be child, and happens to be an extremely nasty, painful way for a woman to die. Consequently, failure to perform an abortion in this instance condemns that woman to a hideous death, and does nothing to save the child. On the other hand, performing the abortion spares the woman said hideous, painful death, and bestows upon her the opportunity, at some future date, to have a child that doesn't implant mistakenly in the fallopian tube, and which she actively wants to bring to term. There are other circumstances I can think of where an abortion would be preferable to no abortion, but this happens to be the most glaringly obvious one.

Ectopic pregnancies are interesting scenarios for Catholic bioethicists. You're right that the fertilized egg hangs out in the fallopian tube, but sometimes the cervix or ovary. Your picture of the scenario seems a little inaccurate. For you, it's either death of both or the death of one, as you offer no other alternative. In practice, however, expectant management is sometimes an option. In addition to that, salpingectomy is another option, for Catholics, at least, since the death of the child is foreseen but the unintended effect. It would not constitute an abortion, for Catholics, on that basis.

Third, we have the assertion that Mr Invisible Magic Man from mythology is purportedly responsible for all of the occurrences that take place in our daily lives, including the occurrences that surround conception etc. The problem here being that if this assertion is true, every miscarriage constitutes, under the terms of this assertion, a "divine abortion". Which inconveniently conflicts with the second assertion above.

It conflicts with the idea that abortion is always wrong? That moral prohibition has a particular scope of those to whom it applies, and it applies to us, not God. Think of a teacher in a classroom who declares, 'Everyone must do the test'. This rule wouldn't apply to the teacher herself: Its particular scope is limited to the children. We declare something similar with God and abortion.

What I have said thus far, in the paragraph above, only pertains to what we mean when we say, 'it is always wrong to have an abortion'. I have said nothing in the earlier paragraph to think that God is, in fact, not allowed to abort babies. To answer that question, we need to look into the varying philosophies concerning God, morality and obligation. On my philosophy, moral obligations are laws imposed by a superior or an equal onto another, but there is no superior or equal to God, so far as I can see. What is more, laws themselves are imposed so that a good can be realized in the person himself, but God, on my philosophy, is goodness itself or the good, which means that no further good can be realized in Him. That He is goodness itself, or the good, is reason to think that He is or that His commands are the moral law, which suggests that He is not under the law.

I am here telling you about my philosophy, the ideas internal to it. I am not supporting them. I am just trying to give insight into what we believe.

Attempts to try and "resolve" this inconvenient conflict between those two assertions, inevitably involves rolling out yet another blind assertion, to the effect that Mr Invisible Magic Man possesses special privileges with respect to the matter, and that anything Mr Invisible Magic Man does carries with it some ineffable seal of ethical untouchability, even when this involves actions that would be considered heinously punishable if performed by us humans. I'm sure it won't take long for even elementary contemplation about this latter assertion, to lead inexorably to some fairly morbid conclusions.

It's not blind. If God is what we say he is, then his relation to moral law makes perfect sense. For, if he is what we say he is, there'd be no equal or superior. That's a premise even the most stubborn atheist will grant, since it is understood that we are talking about something conceived to be the alpha and omega. If he is what we say he is, then he is goodness itself, which seems to problemize the idea of him being under the moral law.

The point is that these relations between the moral law and God flow well once we understand what God is said to be. The only remaining question is whether such a God exists, but that's not something in the purview of this discussion.

Are you serious?

You're trying to tell us that doctrinal appropriation of an idea counts for more than its truth value?

In discussions about premises internal to Christianity? Yes. Its truth value is irrelevant to whether it is internal to Christianity and the relations it holds within Christianity.
Last edited by AMYNTAS on Oct 14, 2015 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
AMYNTAS
Banned Sockpuppet

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2015 4:39 am

In discussions about premises internal to Christianity? Yes. It's truth value is irrelevant to whether it is internal to Christianity and the relations it holds within Christianity.

The truth value of a claim is *never* irrelevant unless truth is not of interest to the claimant, and just putting words into pretty orders is the desired objective.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#108  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2015 4:41 am

It's not blind. If God is what we say he is, then his relation to moral law makes perfect sense. For, if he is what we say he is, there'd be no equal or superior. That's a premise even the most stubborn atheist will grant, since it is understood that we are talking about the alpha and omega. If he is what we say he is, then he is goodness itself, which seems to problemize the idea of him being under the moral law.

Yes, the problem is that while you say he is, for example the epitome of goodness, you also say he's jealous and murderous and genocidal.

This leaves all but the most stubbornly uncritical Christians wondering just why the god their church promulgates is internally contradictory.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#109  Postby AMYNTAS » Oct 14, 2015 4:44 am

Spearthrower wrote:
In discussions about premises internal to Christianity? Yes. It's truth value is irrelevant to whether it is internal to Christianity and the relations it holds within Christianity.

The truth value of a claim is *never* irrelevant unless truth is not of interest to the claimant, and just putting words into pretty orders is the desired objective.

Maybe you're not understanding me. Suppose we are discussing whether the idea 'God said we should tolerate others' is an idea internal to Christianity. Whether it is true that God said we should tolerate others is a different question than whether it is an idea internal to Christianity. If we are only concerned with the latter, if that is the topic at hand, then the truth of that idea is irrelevant. The question is not whether that idea is true. The question is whether it is internal to Christianity.
AMYNTAS
Banned Sockpuppet

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#110  Postby AMYNTAS » Oct 14, 2015 4:49 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Yes, the problem is that while you say he is, for example the epitome of goodness, you also say he's jealous and murderous and genocidal.

I do not say he is genocidal. I also do not say he is murderous. It has been said that he is jealous, but this has a different meaning that what you seem to think. There are plenty of biblical commentaries on it available on the Internet.
AMYNTAS
Banned Sockpuppet

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 14, 2015 6:21 am

Oh do please expound, none of us have ever heard of any of those.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2015 7:24 am

AMYNTAS wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Maybe you're not understanding me. Suppose we are discussing whether the idea 'God said we should tolerate others' is an idea internal to Christianity. Whether it is true that God said we should tolerate others is a different question than whether it is an idea internal to Christianity. If we are only concerned with the latter, if that is the topic at hand, then the truth of that idea is irrelevant. The question is not whether that idea is true. The question is whether it is internal to Christianity.

To clarify: no, I am not misunderstanding you - I am rejecting your formulation for the reasons I already stated.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#113  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2015 7:25 am

AMYNTAS wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

I do not say he is genocidal. I also do not say he is murderous. It has been said that he is jealous, but this has a different meaning that what you seem to think. There are plenty of biblical commentaries on it available on the Internet.

By 'you', I clearly do not mean 'you' the singular, but 'you' meaning Christians, and your source book.

And no, I am not obliged to accept new dictionaries contrived by Christians to make their antiquated belief systems more acceptable to a modern audience.

Apologetics are for believers who have trouble with all the nonsense, self-contradiction, and morally dubious elements of 'holy' scripture who need someone cleverer than them to devise specious arguments to salve the shakiness of the faith.

As a non-believer, I can not only outright ignore these modern contrivances, I can also read the book directly - including in the ancient Greek - and thus make up my own mind. I can also look at how these scriptures have been interpreted and applied throughout history, and thereby dismiss historical revisionism as unworthy of so much as a wank.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#114  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 14, 2015 5:20 pm

AMYNTAS wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

I do not know what relevance the first paragraph has on this discussion.

This might have much to do with your attempt to assert some sort of proprietorial hegemony over the ideas in question. Proper discourse doesn't work like that. Especially when the ideas in question have ramifications beyond the originating species of thought, including ramifications for people not adhering to said species of thought, but whose actions are subject to policing attempts on the part of adherents of said species of thought. Quite simply, those who wish a given set of ideas to remain "purely internal" to their particular doctrine, cannot expect to do so, whilst simultaneously seeking to coerce others to conform to those purportedly "purely internal" ideas. Unfortunately, this is another of those elementary principles that supernaturalists habitually demonstrate a complete failure to understand.

Meanwhile, moving on a little, didn't you read the first post in this thread? Only if you did, you would know that certain brands of supernaturalist are trying to concoct lies about a family planning organisation, which was, incidentally, the original topic of the thread. Lies such as [1] the organisation is purportedly only in existence to perform abortions (it isn't - only 3%of its activities are abortion related), and [2] that the organisation is purportedly operating as a "cover" for "satanists" and "ritual child sacrifice" (this latter lie is so preposterous, that only the terminally addled would give this assertion enough time of day to do other than treat it with well-deserved contempt). But of course, we're used to seeing supernaturalists trying to dictate the path of discourse here, except that we're wise to this, and have a habit of bringing such attempts crashing to a halt.

AMYNTAS wrote:I did not speak about origination, public or the public.

So why the hell were you trying to assert some sort of proprietorial hegemony over the ideas being discussed in your previous posts?

As I said, the moment an idea is released into the public domain, it becomes available to all to subject to critique. This is another of those elementary core principles of proper discourse you appear to be unaware of. As a corollary, it doesn't matter what doctrine the idea originates from, or is a part of, the moment that idea enters the public domain, it becomes the subject of any discoursive participant's analysis. All the more so, when people seek to impose that idea upon others as a behavioural constraint. But again, we're used to seeing supernaturalists try and assert that those being forced to conform to various strictures, purportedly have no say in the matter. It's been standard operating practice for the best part of two millennia, except that thankfully, we now live in an era where such attempts at coercion are treated, quite properly, with scorn and derision.

AMYNTAS wrote:Whether a family planning organization does or does not purely devote itself to abortion is also irrelevant to my concern.

Except that as I've stated above, it is of concern in this thread - it was one of the original topics being discussed.

AMYNTAS wrote:

Ectopic pregnancies are interesting scenarios for Catholic bioethicists.

Oh I'll bet it is.

AMYNTAS wrote:You're right that the fertilized egg hangs out in the fallopian tube, but sometimes the cervix or ovary. Your picture of the scenario seems a little inaccurate. For you, it's either death of both or the death of one, as you offer no other alternative.

Last time I checked, neither does medical science. Upon whose findings I base my statements on the subject.

AMYNTAS wrote:In practice, however, expectant management is sometimes an option.

Ahem, as any actual trained obstetrician will tell you, there will come a point, if intervention is not performed, where the foetus ruptures the fallopian tube. Most obstetricians I know prefer to intervene before this stage, because of the known medical facts, which are, that [1] said rupture is excruciatingly painful for the mother, and [2] rapidly leads to potentially fatal complications. The only reason for delay, is to gather the evidence confirming the diagnosis. Once diagnosis is confirmed, obstetricians have a habit of moving quickly, in order not to reach the stage where those complications manifest themselves - complications such as hypovolaemic shock, or worse still, haemorrhagic septicaema and peritonitis. I happen to have some personal experience of what it's like to have a fulminating septicaemia, courtesy of a meningoccal infection, and I can tell you it's not something I would wish on someone else.

You appear to be unaware that "expectant management" consists of waiting for evidence supporting a diagnosis, and nothing else. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, hey presto, it's rapid action time.

AMYNTAS wrote:In addition to that, salpingectomy is another option, for Catholics, at least, since the death of the child is foreseen but the unintended effect.

Oh wait, do you know what salpingectomy is? It's surgical removal of the fallopian tube. Which constitutes a de facto abortion in the case of ectopic pregnancy. One rendered unavoidable if the mother isn't going to die. Furthermore, it's one of the standard surgical procedures in every developed nation, where the tube-saving salpingostomy is no longer an option.

AMYNTAS wrote:It would not constitute an abortion, for Catholics, on that basis.

Ah, the malodorous miasma of apologetic fabrication. Except that, oh wait, abortion is defined as the termination of a pregnancy resulting in the death of the foetus. Attempting to have one's apologetic cake and eat it simultaneously doesn't work in the real world. What part of the words "the foetus still ends up dead" do you not understand?

AMYNTAS wrote:
Third, we have the assertion that Mr Invisible Magic Man from mythology is purportedly responsible for all of the occurrences that take place in our daily lives, including the occurrences that surround conception etc. The problem here being that if this assertion is true, every miscarriage constitutes, under the terms of this assertion, a "divine abortion". Which inconveniently conflicts with the second assertion above.

It conflicts with the idea that abortion is always wrong?

Oh, do you need the baby steps here?

Step 1: Abortion is defined, as I said above, as the termination of a pregnancy resulting in the death of a foetus.

Step 2: If one asserts that abortion is always wrong, then by definition, any agency bringing about the end of a pregnancy in this manner, is doing something wrong.

Step 3: If one asserts that Mr Invisible Magic Man is responsible for all the processes and phenomena that affect us, then once again, by definition, this includes those processes affecting conception, pregnancy, and whether or not that pregnancy completes to term.

Step 4: From Step 3, we therefore have that the assertion contained therein, means that Mr Invisible Magic Man is responsible, by direct action, for miscarriages, and therefore, by Step 1, is an agent carrying out an abortion, and by Step 2, is doing something wrong. Which renders null and void any assertion that this entity never does anything wrong. QED.

AMYNTAS wrote:That moral prohibition has a particular scope of those to whom it applies, and it applies to us, not God.

Already addressed this with my remarks on special pleading. Those of us who paid attention in elementary logic classes understand the fail at work here, which consists of [1] asserting that a given principle is purportedly "universally applicable", and therefore has a universal quantifier at the head of the proposition, followed by [2] asserting in the next breath that a specific, privileged entity is purportedly exempt from that principle, whilst trying to maintain the pretence of universal applicability. But several of the veterans here are familiar with this particular piece of apologetic legerdemain.

If a principle is genuinely universally applicable, then it applies to all entities without exception. Trying to fabricate escape clauses for privileged entities in the above manner, will simply result in much pointing and laughing on the part of those of us who passed Logic 101.

AMYNTAS wrote:Think of a teacher in a classroom who declares, 'Everyone must do the test'. This rule wouldn't apply to the teacher herself: Its particular scope is limited to the children.

Ah, bad analogy time. Except of course, that there was a point in the teacher's life when said teacher was a pupil, and at that time, sat the same or a similar test intended to test knowledge acquisition. Without which, said teacher probably would not have become a teacher in the first place. That's the part at which your bad analogy falls on its face.

AMYNTAS wrote:We declare something similar with God and abortion.

In short, blindly assert that Mr Invisible Magic Man enjoys privileges not dispensed to any other entity.

As I stated earlier, you might want to ask yourself what dangerous paths such privilege-laden thinking can lead down.

AMYNTAS wrote:What I have said thus far, in the paragraph above, only pertains to what we mean when we say, 'it is always wrong to have an abortion'. I have said nothing in the earlier paragraph to think that God is, in fact, not allowed to abort babies.

Except that in this case, you cannot consistently claim prohibition in this case to be universally applicable, because you're explicitly asserting the existence of an exception. But of course, if this exception can exist, why can other exceptions not exist? What's wrong with me saying "a valid exception is to prevent a woman dying an agonising and preventable death"? Because, after all, saving a life in peril is one of those actions considered to be commendable, and frequently, we're told this by the same supernaturalists peddling the apologetics you're presenting here, but, oh wait, some of those supernaturalists think this ceases to be the case when a woman fails to be an incubator for Magic Man. Apparently, for this class of supernaturalist, the sanctity of human life begins at conception, and ends when you've had a dick in your pussy.

AMYNTAS wrote:To answer that question, we need to look into the varying philosophies concerning God, morality and obligation.

You mean "various collections of blind assertions on these subjects".

AMYNTAS wrote:On my philosophy, moral obligations are laws imposed by a superior or an equal onto another

I gather the jurists at Nuremberg had much to say on the matter of "superior orders".

This, and several other reasons, point to why modern, advanced jurisdictions don't operate on the basis of decrees from on high, but instead operate on the basis of seeking informed common consent for constraints on behaviour.

AMYNTAS wrote:but there is no superior or equal to God, so far as I can see.

Heil Cosmic Führer!

Well this is another one of those reasons why the rest of us tend to want evidence to support all these assertions supernaturalists keep pulling out of their rectal passages, because this is the sort of thinking that in the past, was used as an easy pseudo-justification for all manner of hideous conduct, on the part of enforcers of conformity to doctrine. I'll refer you to Susan B. Anthony, who presciently stated "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires."

AMYNTAS wrote:What is more, laws themselves are imposed so that a good can be realized in the person himself

Actually, my understanding is that in modern, advanced jurisdictions, laws are enacted in considerable measure for social good. Indeed, the entire business of ethics is necessarily in large measure a social enterprise. The fun part being, of course, that most of the laws enacted cover conduct involving interactions between two or more human beings, or humans interacting with the wider surroundings. It's exceedingly rare to find laws enacted that cover what actions one performs in isolation. Furthermore, as I've just stated above, laws in advanced jurisdictions aren't "imposed" as such, but instead constitute a contract forged from informed common consent. I gather Rousseau had much to say on the matter.

AMYNTAS wrote:but God, on my philosophy, is goodness itself

Oh dear, it's Thomism Polka Time!

I wondered when this humorous fabrication would rear its ugly head. Because, at bottom, it's nothing more than an ex recto fabrication, a discoursive shell game played to try and hand-wave away the stark contrast between assertions of ethical perfection, and the assertions contained in the requisite mythology, of conduct on the part of this purportedly "ethically perfect" entity, of a sort that would invite punitive measures against humans behaving in the same manner. At bottom, it's the appeal to force fallacy writ large - Magic Man has all the power, therefore Magic Man can do as Magic Man pleases without any comeback, while the serfs, plebs and puppets do as they're fucking told. I don't suppose it's ever crossed your mind how utterly fascist this all sounds?

AMYNTAS wrote:or the good, which means that no further good can be realized in Him. That He is goodness itself, or the good, is reason to think that He is or that His commands are the moral law, which suggests that He is not under the law.

Word salad that simply means "Magic Man has all the power, therefore Magic Man gets to dictate to the rest of us". Heil Cosmic Führer!

It's no wonder religion is so appealing as a tool of social control to fascist dictators.

AMYNTAS wrote:I am here telling you about my philosophy, the ideas internal to it. I am not supporting them.

And I, in turn, am telling you why I find those ideas repellent and dangerous.

AMYNTAS wrote:I am just trying to give insight into what we believe.

And here is another central part of the problem, namely treating belief, the uncritical acceptance of unsupported assertions, as a source of substantive knowledge. Except that in the world of proper discourse, it isn't.

AMYNTAS wrote:
Attempts to try and "resolve" this inconvenient conflict between those two assertions, inevitably involves rolling out yet another blind assertion, to the effect that Mr Invisible Magic Man possesses special privileges with respect to the matter, and that anything Mr Invisible Magic Man does carries with it some ineffable seal of ethical untouchability, even when this involves actions that would be considered heinously punishable if performed by us humans. I'm sure it won't take long for even elementary contemplation about this latter assertion, to lead inexorably to some fairly morbid conclusions.

It's not blind. If God is what we say he is, then his relation to moral law makes perfect sense.

No it doesn't. It's a lash-up from start to finish, based upon a primitive model of social organisation that was past its sell by date 3,000 years ago.

First of all, any genuinely existing entity, of the sort asserted to exist in the requisite doctrine, would have far more sophisticated means at its disposal, than fascist-style decrees from on high, and even more fascist instances of ruthless and brutal culling. The Ancient Greeks worked out a better model than this, in prototype form, 25 centuries or more ago.

AMYNTAS wrote:For, if he is what we say he is, there'd be no equal or superior.

That's the mother of all "ifs".

And, it's precisely because this mother of all "ifs" has manifestly dangerous ramifications, that the rest of us aren't going to be satisfied with blind assertionist platitudes on the matter. Not least because we can point to a vast mountain range of evidence from history, warning us of those dangerous ramifications.

Plus, as I've already stated above, any genuine entity possessing, as this entity is asserted to, the requisite fantastic gifts of knowledge and power, would be eminently well placed to solve the requisite problems of cosmic administration in a far more elegant manner, than the sort of cosmic Big Brother you're peddling here. Your assertion that an entity effectively comprising a cosmic Pinochet is "goodness itself" is laughable.

AMYNTAS wrote:That's a premise even the most stubborn atheist will grant

Except I don't, for the entirely pertinent reason I've just given, namely that your model of Magic Man is nothing more than a cosmic Pinochet, a primitive fascist dictator exhibiting all the indolence, cruelty and incompetence associated with that ilk. A genuinely "ethically perfect" entity would have no need for the sort of measures routinely asserted to be pressed into service by your magic man in the requisite mythology. Quite simply, any genuine god would do a much better job, and it's an indication of the piss poor level of your "philosophy", that you cannot conceive of a better god than a Kim Jong-Il in the clouds.

AMYNTAS wrote:since it is understood that we are talking about something conceived to be the alpha and omega.

No, we're dealing with something asserted to be marvellous beyond compare, but which is then presented as being way short of that mark.

AMYNTAS wrote:If he is what we say he is, then he is goodness itself

Er, no. Because as I've just told you, any genuinely existing entity of this sort, possessing fantastic gifts of knowledge and power, would be far more elegant and civilised in its approach. Indeed, such an entity would actually be characterised not by visible pyrotechnics, not by an ever growing body count, but by deploying education and the development of consensus. The manifest absence thereof in many supernaturalist circles is wonderfully informative here.

AMYNTAS wrote:which seems to problemize the idea of him being under the moral law.

No, this is another of those fabrications you're unable to recognise as such. Because, first of all, ethical principles only make sense in a domain inhabited by beings capable of formulating those principles, and acting upon them. For much of the 13.6 billion year history of the universe, this was not the case, and indeed, in its early history, was incapable of sustaining neutral atoms, let alone sentient beings. Second, many ethical principles only make sense in a social setting, which requires the existence not only of sentient entities, but sentient entities with social behaviours. It's a bit difficult to see how a lone god could possess social behaviours. Third, we're back to this tiresome business of asserting a privileged status for an entity, without even a shred of evidence for the existence of this entity, let alone its possession of all manner of asserted attributes, whilst at the same time struggling to maintain the pretence of "universally applicable" principles, whilst the elephant in the room of a gigantic, privileged exception is sitting there making the entire edifice sink into the apologetic quicksand it's built on.

AMYNTAS wrote:The point is that these relations between the moral law and God flow well once we understand what God is said to be.

Er, no. If we humans can devise better models of jurisprudence and governance than fascist dictatorship, surely any god worthy of the name can do so as well, and indeed, can provide us with even better models than the ones we already have? But, oh dear, every time supernaturalists are pressed on this, they keep repeating the same tired, recycled fabrications, that their sad, pathetic, primitive models of such an entity constitute some sort of acme of intellectual achievement matching the glory of their magic man. If you haven't worked out why I'm not buying this discoursive snake oil by now, you might want to spend some time acquainting yourself with some real world data for a while.

AMYNTAS wrote:The only remaining question is whether such a God exists, but that's not something in the purview of this discussion.

It's going to be a fucking huge blow to your doctrine if this entity doesn't exist, isn't it?

AMYNTAS wrote:
Are you serious?

In discussions about premises internal to Christianity? Yes. Its truth value is irrelevant to whether it is internal to Christianity and the relations it holds within Christianity.

So you're admitting here that all that counts, in your eyes, is whether the made up shit is the right brand of made up shit?

And you want to dignify this palsied hilarity with the word "philosophy"?
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#115  Postby AMYNTAS » Oct 15, 2015 2:26 am

Calilasseia wrote:
AMYNTAS wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

I do not know what relevance the first paragraph has on this discussion.

This might have much to do with your attempt to assert some sort of proprietorial hegemony over the ideas in question. Proper discourse doesn't work like that. Especially when the ideas in question have ramifications beyond the originating species of thought, including ramifications for people not adhering to said species of thought, but whose actions are subject to policing attempts on the part of adherents of said species of thought. Quite simply, those who wish a given set of ideas to remain "purely internal" to their particular doctrine, cannot expect to do so, whilst simultaneously seeking to coerce others to conform to those purportedly "purely internal" ideas. Unfortunately, this is another of those elementary principles that supernaturalists habitually demonstrate a complete failure to understand.

Meanwhile, moving on a little, didn't you read the first post in this thread? Only if you did, you would know that certain brands of supernaturalist are trying to concoct lies about a family planning organisation, which was, incidentally, the original topic of the thread. Lies such as [1] the organisation is purportedly only in existence to perform abortions (it isn't - only 3%of its activities are abortion related), and [2] that the organisation is purportedly operating as a "cover" for "satanists" and "ritual child sacrifice" (this latter lie is so preposterous, that only the terminally addled would give this assertion enough time of day to do other than treat it with well-deserved contempt). But of course, we're used to seeing supernaturalists trying to dictate the path of discourse here, except that we're wise to this, and have a habit of bringing such attempts crashing to a halt.

AMYNTAS wrote:I did not speak about origination, public or the public.

So why the hell were you trying to assert some sort of proprietorial hegemony over the ideas being discussed in your previous posts?

As I said, the moment an idea is released into the public domain, it becomes available to all to subject to critique. This is another of those elementary core principles of proper discourse you appear to be unaware of. As a corollary, it doesn't matter what doctrine the idea originates from, or is a part of, the moment that idea enters the public domain, it becomes the subject of any discoursive participant's analysis. All the more so, when people seek to impose that idea upon others as a behavioural constraint. But again, we're used to seeing supernaturalists try and assert that those being forced to conform to various strictures, purportedly have no say in the matter. It's been standard operating practice for the best part of two millennia, except that thankfully, we now live in an era where such attempts at coercion are treated, quite properly, with scorn and derision.

AMYNTAS wrote:Whether a family planning organization does or does not purely devote itself to abortion is also irrelevant to my concern.

Except that as I've stated above, it is of concern in this thread - it was one of the original topics being discussed.

AMYNTAS wrote:

Ectopic pregnancies are interesting scenarios for Catholic bioethicists.

Oh I'll bet it is.

AMYNTAS wrote:You're right that the fertilized egg hangs out in the fallopian tube, but sometimes the cervix or ovary. Your picture of the scenario seems a little inaccurate. For you, it's either death of both or the death of one, as you offer no other alternative.

Last time I checked, neither does medical science. Upon whose findings I base my statements on the subject.

AMYNTAS wrote:In practice, however, expectant management is sometimes an option.

Ahem, as any actual trained obstetrician will tell you, there will come a point, if intervention is not performed, where the foetus ruptures the fallopian tube. Most obstetricians I know prefer to intervene before this stage, because of the known medical facts, which are, that [1] said rupture is excruciatingly painful for the mother, and [2] rapidly leads to potentially fatal complications. The only reason for delay, is to gather the evidence confirming the diagnosis. Once diagnosis is confirmed, obstetricians have a habit of moving quickly, in order not to reach the stage where those complications manifest themselves - complications such as hypovolaemic shock, or worse still, haemorrhagic septicaema and peritonitis. I happen to have some personal experience of what it's like to have a fulminating septicaemia, courtesy of a meningoccal infection, and I can tell you it's not something I would wish on someone else.

You appear to be unaware that "expectant management" consists of waiting for evidence supporting a diagnosis, and nothing else. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, hey presto, it's rapid action time.

AMYNTAS wrote:In addition to that, salpingectomy is another option, for Catholics, at least, since the death of the child is foreseen but the unintended effect.

Oh wait, do you know what salpingectomy is? It's surgical removal of the fallopian tube. Which constitutes a de facto abortion in the case of ectopic pregnancy. One rendered unavoidable if the mother isn't going to die. Furthermore, it's one of the standard surgical procedures in every developed nation, where the tube-saving salpingostomy is no longer an option.

AMYNTAS wrote:It would not constitute an abortion, for Catholics, on that basis.

Ah, the malodorous miasma of apologetic fabrication. Except that, oh wait, abortion is defined as the termination of a pregnancy resulting in the death of the foetus. Attempting to have one's apologetic cake and eat it simultaneously doesn't work in the real world. What part of the words "the foetus still ends up dead" do you not understand?

AMYNTAS wrote:

It conflicts with the idea that abortion is always wrong?

Oh, do you need the baby steps here?

Step 1: Abortion is defined, as I said above, as the termination of a pregnancy resulting in the death of a foetus.

Step 2: If one asserts that abortion is always wrong, then by definition, any agency bringing about the end of a pregnancy in this manner, is doing something wrong.

Step 3: If one asserts that Mr Invisible Magic Man is responsible for all the processes and phenomena that affect us, then once again, by definition, this includes those processes affecting conception, pregnancy, and whether or not that pregnancy completes to term.

Step 4: From Step 3, we therefore have that the assertion contained therein, means that Mr Invisible Magic Man is responsible, by direct action, for miscarriages, and therefore, by Step 1, is an agent carrying out an abortion, and by Step 2, is doing something wrong. Which renders null and void any assertion that this entity never does anything wrong. QED.

AMYNTAS wrote:That moral prohibition has a particular scope of those to whom it applies, and it applies to us, not God.

Already addressed this with my remarks on special pleading. Those of us who paid attention in elementary logic classes understand the fail at work here, which consists of [1] asserting that a given principle is purportedly "universally applicable", and therefore has a universal quantifier at the head of the proposition, followed by [2] asserting in the next breath that a specific, privileged entity is purportedly exempt from that principle, whilst trying to maintain the pretence of universal applicability. But several of the veterans here are familiar with this particular piece of apologetic legerdemain.

If a principle is genuinely universally applicable, then it applies to all entities without exception. Trying to fabricate escape clauses for privileged entities in the above manner, will simply result in much pointing and laughing on the part of those of us who passed Logic 101.

AMYNTAS wrote:Think of a teacher in a classroom who declares, 'Everyone must do the test'. This rule wouldn't apply to the teacher herself: Its particular scope is limited to the children.

Ah, bad analogy time. Except of course, that there was a point in the teacher's life when said teacher was a pupil, and at that time, sat the same or a similar test intended to test knowledge acquisition. Without which, said teacher probably would not have become a teacher in the first place. That's the part at which your bad analogy falls on its face.

AMYNTAS wrote:We declare something similar with God and abortion.

In short, blindly assert that Mr Invisible Magic Man enjoys privileges not dispensed to any other entity.

As I stated earlier, you might want to ask yourself what dangerous paths such privilege-laden thinking can lead down.

AMYNTAS wrote:What I have said thus far, in the paragraph above, only pertains to what we mean when we say, 'it is always wrong to have an abortion'. I have said nothing in the earlier paragraph to think that God is, in fact, not allowed to abort babies.

Except that in this case, you cannot consistently claim prohibition in this case to be universally applicable, because you're explicitly asserting the existence of an exception. But of course, if this exception can exist, why can other exceptions not exist? What's wrong with me saying "a valid exception is to prevent a woman dying an agonising and preventable death"? Because, after all, saving a life in peril is one of those actions considered to be commendable, and frequently, we're told this by the same supernaturalists peddling the apologetics you're presenting here, but, oh wait, some of those supernaturalists think this ceases to be the case when a woman fails to be an incubator for Magic Man. Apparently, for this class of supernaturalist, the sanctity of human life begins at conception, and ends when you've had a dick in your pussy.

AMYNTAS wrote:To answer that question, we need to look into the varying philosophies concerning God, morality and obligation.

You mean "various collections of blind assertions on these subjects".

AMYNTAS wrote:On my philosophy, moral obligations are laws imposed by a superior or an equal onto another

I gather the jurists at Nuremberg had much to say on the matter of "superior orders".

This, and several other reasons, point to why modern, advanced jurisdictions don't operate on the basis of decrees from on high, but instead operate on the basis of seeking informed common consent for constraints on behaviour.

AMYNTAS wrote:but there is no superior or equal to God, so far as I can see.

Heil Cosmic Führer!

Well this is another one of those reasons why the rest of us tend to want evidence to support all these assertions supernaturalists keep pulling out of their rectal passages, because this is the sort of thinking that in the past, was used as an easy pseudo-justification for all manner of hideous conduct, on the part of enforcers of conformity to doctrine. I'll refer you to Susan B. Anthony, who presciently stated "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do to their fellows, because it always coincides with their own desires."

AMYNTAS wrote:What is more, laws themselves are imposed so that a good can be realized in the person himself

Actually, my understanding is that in modern, advanced jurisdictions, laws are enacted in considerable measure for social good. Indeed, the entire business of ethics is necessarily in large measure a social enterprise. The fun part being, of course, that most of the laws enacted cover conduct involving interactions between two or more human beings, or humans interacting with the wider surroundings. It's exceedingly rare to find laws enacted that cover what actions one performs in isolation. Furthermore, as I've just stated above, laws in advanced jurisdictions aren't "imposed" as such, but instead constitute a contract forged from informed common consent. I gather Rousseau had much to say on the matter.

AMYNTAS wrote:but God, on my philosophy, is goodness itself

Oh dear, it's Thomism Polka Time!

I wondered when this humorous fabrication would rear its ugly head. Because, at bottom, it's nothing more than an ex recto fabrication, a discoursive shell game played to try and hand-wave away the stark contrast between assertions of ethical perfection, and the assertions contained in the requisite mythology, of conduct on the part of this purportedly "ethically perfect" entity, of a sort that would invite punitive measures against humans behaving in the same manner. At bottom, it's the appeal to force fallacy writ large - Magic Man has all the power, therefore Magic Man can do as Magic Man pleases without any comeback, while the serfs, plebs and puppets do as they're fucking told. I don't suppose it's ever crossed your mind how utterly fascist this all sounds?

AMYNTAS wrote:or the good, which means that no further good can be realized in Him. That He is goodness itself, or the good, is reason to think that He is or that His commands are the moral law, which suggests that He is not under the law.

Word salad that simply means "Magic Man has all the power, therefore Magic Man gets to dictate to the rest of us". Heil Cosmic Führer!

It's no wonder religion is so appealing as a tool of social control to fascist dictators.

AMYNTAS wrote:I am here telling you about my philosophy, the ideas internal to it. I am not supporting them.

And I, in turn, am telling you why I find those ideas repellent and dangerous.

AMYNTAS wrote:I am just trying to give insight into what we believe.

And here is another central part of the problem, namely treating belief, the uncritical acceptance of unsupported assertions, as a source of substantive knowledge. Except that in the world of proper discourse, it isn't.

AMYNTAS wrote:

It's not blind. If God is what we say he is, then his relation to moral law makes perfect sense.

No it doesn't. It's a lash-up from start to finish, based upon a primitive model of social organisation that was past its sell by date 3,000 years ago.

First of all, any genuinely existing entity, of the sort asserted to exist in the requisite doctrine, would have far more sophisticated means at its disposal, than fascist-style decrees from on high, and even more fascist instances of ruthless and brutal culling. The Ancient Greeks worked out a better model than this, in prototype form, 25 centuries or more ago.

AMYNTAS wrote:For, if he is what we say he is, there'd be no equal or superior.

That's the mother of all "ifs".

And, it's precisely because this mother of all "ifs" has manifestly dangerous ramifications, that the rest of us aren't going to be satisfied with blind assertionist platitudes on the matter. Not least because we can point to a vast mountain range of evidence from history, warning us of those dangerous ramifications.

Plus, as I've already stated above, any genuine entity possessing, as this entity is asserted to, the requisite fantastic gifts of knowledge and power, would be eminently well placed to solve the requisite problems of cosmic administration in a far more elegant manner, than the sort of cosmic Big Brother you're peddling here. Your assertion that an entity effectively comprising a cosmic Pinochet is "goodness itself" is laughable.

AMYNTAS wrote:That's a premise even the most stubborn atheist will grant

Except I don't, for the entirely pertinent reason I've just given, namely that your model of Magic Man is nothing more than a cosmic Pinochet, a primitive fascist dictator exhibiting all the indolence, cruelty and incompetence associated with that ilk. A genuinely "ethically perfect" entity would have no need for the sort of measures routinely asserted to be pressed into service by your magic man in the requisite mythology. Quite simply, any genuine god would do a much better job, and it's an indication of the piss poor level of your "philosophy", that you cannot conceive of a better god than a Kim Jong-Il in the clouds.

AMYNTAS wrote:since it is understood that we are talking about something conceived to be the alpha and omega.

No, we're dealing with something asserted to be marvellous beyond compare, but which is then presented as being way short of that mark.

AMYNTAS wrote:If he is what we say he is, then he is goodness itself

Er, no. Because as I've just told you, any genuinely existing entity of this sort, possessing fantastic gifts of knowledge and power, would be far more elegant and civilised in its approach. Indeed, such an entity would actually be characterised not by visible pyrotechnics, not by an ever growing body count, but by deploying education and the development of consensus. The manifest absence thereof in many supernaturalist circles is wonderfully informative here.

AMYNTAS wrote:which seems to problemize the idea of him being under the moral law.

No, this is another of those fabrications you're unable to recognise as such. Because, first of all, ethical principles only make sense in a domain inhabited by beings capable of formulating those principles, and acting upon them. For much of the 13.6 billion year history of the universe, this was not the case, and indeed, in its early history, was incapable of sustaining neutral atoms, let alone sentient beings. Second, many ethical principles only make sense in a social setting, which requires the existence not only of sentient entities, but sentient entities with social behaviours. It's a bit difficult to see how a lone god could possess social behaviours. Third, we're back to this tiresome business of asserting a privileged status for an entity, without even a shred of evidence for the existence of this entity, let alone its possession of all manner of asserted attributes, whilst at the same time struggling to maintain the pretence of "universally applicable" principles, whilst the elephant in the room of a gigantic, privileged exception is sitting there making the entire edifice sink into the apologetic quicksand it's built on.

AMYNTAS wrote:The point is that these relations between the moral law and God flow well once we understand what God is said to be.

Er, no. If we humans can devise better models of jurisprudence and governance than fascist dictatorship, surely any god worthy of the name can do so as well, and indeed, can provide us with even better models than the ones we already have? But, oh dear, every time supernaturalists are pressed on this, they keep repeating the same tired, recycled fabrications, that their sad, pathetic, primitive models of such an entity constitute some sort of acme of intellectual achievement matching the glory of their magic man. If you haven't worked out why I'm not buying this discoursive snake oil by now, you might want to spend some time acquainting yourself with some real world data for a while.

AMYNTAS wrote:The only remaining question is whether such a God exists, but that's not something in the purview of this discussion.

It's going to be a fucking huge blow to your doctrine if this entity doesn't exist, isn't it?

AMYNTAS wrote:
Are you serious?

So you're admitting here that all that counts, in your eyes, is whether the made up shit is the right brand of made up shit?

And you want to dignify this palsied hilarity with the word "philosophy"?

Oh, my. You're chatty.

You could call it an abortion, if you want. Many of the Catholic intelligentsia distinguish between direct and indirect abortion, the latter is possibly, in theory, morally permissible. The procedure in question with the removal of the tube might qualify as an indirect abortion. Hence, you could say that the Catholic intelligentsia support some indirect abortion, in theory. I have some reservations with the word 'abortion' being used here only because, when the Catholic laypersons speak of abortions, they usually always mean what we'd call direct abortions. That's what they're often referring to when they say, 'Abortions are wrong' or 'All abortions are evil'. When I hear them utter these declarations, I always hear them speaking about a particular sort of abortion. That's why I say Catholics wouldn't consider salpingectomy to be an abortive procedure, for they tend to understand abortion as an intended harm to the fetus, or at least that the harm is a primary, direct effect. Words are funny like that-they can take on different meanings and connotations within subpopulation groups.

My understanding of expectant management seems to be a little more robust than yours. Early ectopic pregnancies are watched to see if the body will reabsorb the embryo. If this is the case, there is no need for intrusion, which is something that Catholics find quite relieving. You seemed to have overlooked that expectant management involves more than just waiting for a diagnosis, but waiting to see if the body deals with the ectopic pregnancy on its own. This information is widely available on the Internet.

In regards to the claims about God and abortion, I am unsure how to respond, exactly. On the Christian tradition, God gave us commands. He said, "thou shall not murder". That, then, was our moral imperative, but nothing about that command suggests that he cannot take kill an innocent. God did not issue these commands to Himself.

I am unsure how to respond to your response about the scope of reference. It seems fair enough that we often say things like, "Everyone was there" when we only mean a certain group of people, not literally every person. This is what logicians have sometimes described as a domain or universe of discourse, the scope of individuals to whom the generalization applies. And when we prescribe generalized moral statements obligations, we do not mean to include God within this domain. It was never meant to include God.

I do not see this as "special pleading". Exclusions are not necessarily fallacious. The fallacy of special pleading is an informal fallacy, something that is dependent on the context and justification of the exclusion. It's not automatically fallacious. For example, it is a generalized rule not to break the speed limit, though police officers can break the speed limit in the line of their duty. They have that power. They have that authority. The rule does not apply to them as it does to us. God is in a similar scenario, as I argued earlier. You don't agree. That's quite fine. I am not keen on arguing it in this thread.

When I brought up the point about the scope of reference and domain of discourse, I noted that a teacher could say, "Everyone has to do the test!" This was taken to be another example of a generalized statement that is not meant to apply to everyone, nor her. In reply you said this:

Respectfully, this is a really bad reply. When teachers say, 'everyone must take the test' during class time, they likely mean to speak of none other than their own students. It's not a statement about the teacher in some distant past, some kids in another school, or in another nation, and the mailman down the street. She simply means her students. You're a competent English speaker. You know that this is true.
AMYNTAS
Banned Sockpuppet

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 15, 2015 4:03 am

In regards to the claims about God and abortion, I am unsure how to respond, exactly. On the Christian tradition, God gave us commands. He said, "thou shall not murder". That, then, was our moral imperative, but nothing about that command suggests that he cannot take kill an innocent. God did not issue these commands to Himself.

Cool! So God can wantonly murder - for example nigh on the entire population of the planet - and still be the solitary font of objective morality because he's not obliged to follow the moral systems imposed on us. Essentially, it doesn't matter what god does to you because whatever he does is intrinsically moral on account of him doing it. This is entirely typical of magic-based reasoning.

Likewise, if God gives instructions to his followers to, say, murder babies by smashing their heads in against walls, this act automagically becomes moral behavior, because God told them to do it.

In other words, any notion of 'objective morality' is amusingly recast into a dependent, subjective kind of morality that hinges solely on the whim of a divine being.

After nearly 2000 years of Christian 'philosophy', this is still the best they can produce. It's highly amusing.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#117  Postby AMYNTAS » Oct 15, 2015 4:23 am

Spearthrower wrote:Cool! So God can wantonly murder - for example nigh on the entire population of the planet -

The concept of murder includes wrongdoing, which implies obligation and prohibition, the very things I deny God has. So, no, he cannot wantonly murder. God is not in the wrong to take any life He so pleases.

Essentially, it doesn't matter what god does to you because whatever he does is intrinsically moral on account of him doing it. This is entirely typical of magic-based reasoning.

Likewise, if God gives instructions to his followers to, say, murder babies by smashing their heads in against walls, this act automagically becomes moral behavior, because God told them to do it.

If God were to command people to kill (not murder) babies, then it would be morally obligatory. That is a boring truth once we either identify the good with God's commands or make them necessarily co-extensive. That's not a startling conclusion. In fact, it's rather uninteresting. Likewise so is this: If there were a super computer whose commands to us necessarily coincided with the good, then it would follow that if that computer were to command us to kill those babies, then killing those babies would be good.

In other words, any notion of 'objective morality' is amusingly recast into a dependent, subjective kind of morality that hinges solely on the whim of a divine being.

It depends on how you define subjective and dependence.

After nearly 2000 years of Christian 'philosophy', this is still the best they can produce. It's highly amusing.

You haven't rebutted anything. It's clear you don't like it, but you haven't rebutted it. You seem to just scorn it.
AMYNTAS
Banned Sockpuppet

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 15, 2015 4:31 am

AMYNTAS wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Cool! So God can wantonly murder - for example nigh on the entire population of the planet -

The concept of murder includes wrongdoing, which implies obligation and prohibition, the very things I deny God has. So, no, he cannot wantonly murder. God is not in the wrong to take any life He so pleases.

Yes, I already made fun of this later in the post.

God cannot do anything wrong, because simply by the virtue of him doing it, the act becomes moral.

This would be immensely depressing if I were to take it seriously, but I don't - you don't actually believe this, it's not tenable for anyone with more than 2 functioning brain cells.

AMYNTAS wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Essentially, it doesn't matter what god does to you because whatever he does is intrinsically moral on account of him doing it. This is entirely typical of magic-based reasoning.

If God were to command people to kill (not murder) babies, then it would be morally obligatory. That is a boring truth once we either identify the good with God's commands or make them necessarily co-extensive. That's not a startling conclusion. In fact, it's rather uninteresting. Likewise so is this: If there were a super computer whose commands to us necessarily coincided with the good, then it would follow that if that computer were to command us to kill those babies, then killing those babies would be good.

You are, amusingly, simply repeating what I already said.

In a universe where bashing babies heads in could, overnight, become moral - there is no such thing as objective morality.

AMYNTAS wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:In other words, any notion of 'objective morality' is amusingly recast into a dependent, subjective kind of morality that hinges solely on the whim of a divine being.

It depends on how you define subjective and dependence.

Not really - there are ubiquitously accepted definitions for these words, and my argument doesn't reside on tailoring special definitions for them. I understand well why yours would.

AMYNTAS wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:After nearly 2000 years of Christian 'philosophy', this is still the best they can produce. It's highly amusing.

You haven't rebutted anything. It's clear you don't like it, but you haven't rebutted it. You seem to just scorn it.

Not only have I not rebutted anything, I actually perfectly predicted your position prior to you saying it.

But you misunderstand one thing: I am not scorning it (the idea) - I am scorning people like yourself who consider themselves and their belief system to possess the moral high-ground while acknowledging that smashing babies heads in could become morally obligatory overnight. :lol: That's fubar! :)

There are numerous recorded cases of mentally disturbed people having 'heard' God command them to commit some murder or violent deed - essentially, you and others like you are just dangers to society waiting to happen.

Well, you would be if you actually believed in what you were touting, but you don't. I know you don't - you also know you don't, but you're going to argue it because you're here to battle with the heathen! :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#119  Postby laklak » Oct 15, 2015 4:38 am

Just replace "God" with "Hitler" and it reads the same.

I win! I Godwinned first!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#120  Postby AMYNTAS » Oct 15, 2015 5:00 am

Spearthrower wrote:

You are, amusingly, simply repeating what I already said.

In a universe where bashing babies heads in could, overnight, become moral - there is no such thing as objective morality.

That does not follow from what I said. The commands of this computer coincide with that which is good. I didn't say that these commands express the attitude of the computer. There is no basis for you to deny objectivism.
AMYNTAS
Banned Sockpuppet

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity