Exodus - real or not - Biblical archeology

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Exodus - real or not - Biblical archeology

#41  Postby Blood » Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm

hotshoe wrote:So your position on evidence is that if we DON'T have it, then that means we should assume the chances are 50/50 that it DID happen ? That the evidence we DON'T have, if we somehow did get it, would be evidence that Exodus occurred ?

My position is, let's examine all sides of any issue in ancient history before drawing sweeping, or misleading, conclusions.

hotshoe wrote:
In the absence of evidence showing that Hebrew slaves were at Pi-Ramesse and then "escaped" en masse, the only rational statement which can be made is "there is no evidence that the Exodus ever happened." That's it. That's not a sweeping statement. It's a simple statement of fact. There is no evidence that it ever happened.

It's a deceptive statement. It implies that we have 100% of the administrative papyri from the New Kingdom, and/or the stelae from this period is somehow complete, and those sources have all been deciphered and examined, and they provide no evidence of an exodus. This is not even close to being an accurate picture.

hotshoe wrote:
Did it ? Who knows ? What kind of evidence should we expect to find if it really had happened ? I don't expect even one single papyri to survive. It never occurred to me that they would. But I expect that the Hebrews, supposedly miraculously delivered by their god, and supposedly divinely inspired by their god in recording the history, would at least get the names correct. And those Hebrew texts did survive and we do have copies of them, with all their puzzling omissions and mysterious little errors.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Because the Hebrews described the exodus in mythological terms, and got some of the names wrong, the most rational conclusion to draw from that is there never was an exodus from Egypt at all?

hotshoe wrote:
I would be interested to know what Kitchen thinks is "correspondence with attested realities" and what his physical evidence is.

Read the book. It's long. I can't quote from the whole thing.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Blood » Aug 10, 2010 2:09 pm

hotshoe wrote:
By the way, this quotation is slightly doctored from the version available in google books. So I am concerned with where you got the quotation. Did you transcribe it yourself, or did you copy it from someplace else on the internet ? (In which case, you need to supply a link to your source - it's the rule.)

Sorry but I don't know how to provide a link to my bookshelf. Although I wish I had known the book was available online, it would have saved me 25 bucks.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby dionysus » Aug 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Lion IRC wrote:The bible says 600,000 adult males left the country in a hurry.

And were able to survive in the desert fr 40 years with no infrastructure or supplies. Right. Do you know what it takes to sustain such a population, Lion?

Lion IRC wrote:Ramses and Succoth arent metaphors - they are actual places.

So was Troy. Doesn't mean that Odysseus' friends were actually turned into pigs or that he really fought a cyclops.
dionysus

Name: Lukasz
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby hotshoe » Aug 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Blood wrote:
hotshoe wrote:
I would be interested to know what Kitchen thinks is "correspondence with attested realities" and what his physical evidence is.

Would you be willing to give one example of his physical evidence that you found convincing ?
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby mindyourmind » Aug 10, 2010 5:18 pm

There is quite a bit on this issue in "The Christian Delusion" (ed. John Loftus).

In the chapter on "The Bible and Modern Scholarship" Paul Tobin states (with full references in his footnotes) that :

"Since the last decade of the twentieth century there is a growing consensus in modern scholarship that the major elements of the Exodus tale (the Israelites living in Egypt for 430 years, the exodus of this large group out of Egypt into Canaan, and the intervening forty years of wandering in the Sinai Peninsula) are also myths, not history."

He then sets out the evidence for those conclusions, dealing with several issues raising serious doubts about the historicity in the tale.

Later in the same chapter he concludes ;

"William Dever, an archaeologist normally associated with the more conservative end of Syro-Palestinian archaeology, has labeled the question of the historicity of Exodus "dead". Israeli archaeologist Ze'ev Herzog, provides the current consensus view on the historicity of the Exodus : "The Israelites never were in Egypt. They never came from abroad. This whole chain is broken. It is not a historical one. It is a later legendary reconstruction - made in the seventh century [BCE] - of a history that never happened.""

I would like to see any serious contrary evidence to that.
So the reason why God created the universe, including millions of years of human and animal suffering, and the extinction of entire species, is so that some humans who have passed his test can be with him forever. I see.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#46  Postby GakuseiDon » Aug 11, 2010 3:19 am

Lion IRC wrote:What more would Karen Armstrong know about the Exodus than people who were there?
She pushes a "history of mythology" agenda because it is easy to be an expert or an author about something as nebulous as "symbolism" and "metaphor".

Armstrong sees Deut 26 as containing a primitive and less myth-driven narrative of what they believed happened during the Exodus (though Deut was written much later than the other earlier books):

Deut 26:4 "Then the priest shall take the basket out of your hand and set it down before the altar of the LORD your God. 5 And you shall answer and say before the LORD your God:

'My father was a Syrian, about to perish, and he went down to Egypt and dwelt there, few in number; and there he became a nation, great, mighty, and populous. 6 But the Egyptians mistreated us, afflicted us, and laid hard bondage on us. 7 Then we cried out to the LORD God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and looked on our affliction and our labor and our oppression. 8 So the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and with an outstretched arm, with great terror and with signs and wonders. 9 He has brought us to this place and has given us this land, "a land flowing with milk and honey"; 10 and now, behold, I have brought the firstfruits of the land which you, O LORD, have given me.'

"Then you shall set it before the LORD your God, and worship before the LORD your God. 11 So you shall rejoice in every good thing which the LORD your God has given to you and your house, you and the Levite and the stranger who is among you."
If Acharya S has seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of Pygmies. "The Pygmy Christ was born of a virgin, died for the salvation of his people, arose from the dead, and finally ascended to heaven." -- Acharya S
GakuseiDon

Print view this post

#47  Postby Lion IRC » Aug 11, 2010 4:26 am

stijndeloose wrote:
I could walk from Egypt to Israel in a couple of seconds.

Ah, yes, that makes for a total of, what, about 3 million people, who then when on a stroll through the desert for 40 years and didn't leave any evidence?

Lion IRC wrote:The bible says the Egyptians were happy to see them go.

So why did Pharaoh chase them afterwards, then, according to the same book?

Places that were uninhabited at the time, as mentioned here before. Try again?

OK

I will try again.

The Sinai is not all desert and people have been living there for a long time. Who says there is NO evidence of this? People have been living there for 200,000 years. Is there someone arguing that Succoth was not a real PLACE name at the time of the exodus?

Is someone arguing that there was never any nomadic human habitation of the Sinai (ca. 2400-2000 B.C.) WOW!

We are talking about an area which lies within a couple of days walk of the Kings Highway which has been a trade route for over 5000 years. Is there some population density problem with the Israelites fitting into 61,000 square kilometers? How can you tell the difference between the bones of an Israelite nomad and an Arab/Egyptian?

Why is there this astonishment about nomadic wanderings for 40 years.
There have been Australian Aboriginals "strolling around the desert" for 40 THOUSAND years.

Lion (IRC)
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#48  Postby Tbickle » Aug 11, 2010 4:50 am

Lion IRC wrote:
stijndeloose wrote:

Ah, yes, that makes for a total of, what, about 3 million people, who then when on a stroll through the desert for 40 years and didn't leave any evidence?

OK

I will try again.

The Sinai is not all desert and people have been living there for a long time. Who says there is NO evidence of this? People have been living there for 200,000 years. Is there someone arguing that Succoth was not a real PLACE name at the time of the exodus?

Is someone arguing that there was never any nomadic human habitation of the Sinai (ca. 2400-2000 B.C.) WOW!

We are talking about an area which lies within a couple of days walk of the Kings Highway which has been a trade route for over 5000 years. Is there some population density problem with the Israelites fitting into 61,000 square kilometers? How can you tell the difference between the bones of an Israelite nomad and an Arab/Egyptian?

There have been Australian Aboriginals "strolling around the desert" for 40 THOUSAND years.

Lion (IRC)

First of all, you are jumping the gun by arguing for an exodus before looking at the justification for the need for an exodus. There is no evidence to suggest that Jews were forced into labor by the Egyptians, but there is some to suggest that they were employed. Before you can begin to suggest that this supposed exodus did occur, shouldn't you first establish that there was a need for an exodus first?

The other problem isn't that there is a vast amount of evidence to show that an exodus DIDN'T occur, it's just that there is not much evidence to support this claim. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the bones of an Egyptian and a Jew, but you could potentially discover other archeological data that could help to make this determination. Archaeologists often use other artifacts to build an understanding of a culture or a particular site, not just the bones. A presence of say, pig bones used for consumption could be a clue that we are not dealing with a Jewish archaeological site.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#49  Postby hotshoe » Aug 11, 2010 5:00 am

Lion IRC wrote:The Sinai is not all desert and people have been living there for a long time. Who says there is NO evidence of this? People have been living there for 200,000 years. Is there someone arguing that Succoth was not a real PLACE name at the time of the exodus?

Because Numbers 1:1 through 1:44 enumerates the population, ending with
1:45 So were all those that were numbered of the children of Israel, by the house of their fathers, from twenty years old and upward, all that were able to go forth to war in Israel;
1:46 "Even all they that were numbered were six hundred thousand and three thousand and five hundred and fifty."

That's not counting the women, children, or the Levites. So, maybe two to three million total :lol: Oh, and livestock :whistle:

Do you have any idea how many remains a population of millions would leave ? Can you even begin to guess where they would get enough water for them all to drink ? What about food for their livestock - in the desert ?

So, yes, there could have been a few nomadic Israelites wandering around the Sinai. And true, there were more than a few travelers, traders, soldiers, etc, along the main route.

But millions ? No way.

For comparison, modern day cities in Israel - with reliable water, with food transported from distant agricultural regions, with sewage treatment, etc - still don't support millions of people at any one time. Tel Aviv about 400,000. Jerusalem about 800,000.

So maybe, just maybe, the bible was wrong on that Numbers passage.

Maybe the Exodus really happened, as far as a tribe of Israelites escaping from slavery in Egypt. Maybe they had a long trek to safety in Canaan. Maybe they numbered thousands, total.

Would you be willing to go along with that, as a possibility, or do you feel the bible must be read literally ?
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Aug 11, 2010 5:28 am

Lion IRC wrote:Why is there this astonishment about nomadic wanderings for 40 years.
Lion (IRC)

Indeed. What isn't astonishing at all is that we have found many artifacts that show that the native Australians have roamed Central Australia. From skeletons, to tools and rock paintings. Got any of that for your Israelites?
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Lion IRC » Aug 11, 2010 5:58 am

Tbickle wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:
stijndeloose wrote:

OK

I will try again.

Lion (IRC)

First of all, you are jumping the gun by arguing for an exodus before looking at the justification for the need for an exodus. There is no evidence to suggest that Jews were forced into labor by the Egyptians, but there is some to suggest that they were employed. Before you can begin to suggest that this supposed exodus did occur, shouldn't you first establish that there was a need for an exodus first?

The other problem isn't that there is a vast amount of evidence to show that an exodus DIDN'T occur, it's just that there is not much evidence to support this claim. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the bones of an Egyptian and a Jew, but you could potentially discover other archeological data that could help to make this determination. Archaeologists often use other artifacts to build an understanding of a culture or a particular site, not just the bones. A presence of say, pig bones used for consumption could be a clue that we are not dealing with a Jewish archaeological site.

1. Doesnt the bible make clear the reason for the Exodus?
2. Are you claiming that Jewish dietary laws (Kashrut) relating to pork were fully in place before the Exodus occurred or that they were followed the entire time? (Irrespective of whether pig husbandry was or wasnt a common means of providing food or whether Israelites were willing to starve rather than eat pig meat)
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#52  Postby Lion IRC » Aug 11, 2010 6:03 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:Why is there this astonishment about nomadic wanderings for 40 years.
Lion (IRC)

Indeed. What isn't astonishing at all is that we have found many artifacts that show that the native Australians have roamed Central Australia. From skeletons, to tools and rock paintings. Got any of that for your Israelites?

There have been people living in the Sinai for 200,000 years +/-
This is not in dispute surely.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#53  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Aug 11, 2010 6:10 am

Lion IRC wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Lion (IRC)

Perhaps. Though wouldn't we expect a swathe of archeological evidence from a group of a couple of million of people sweeping across the land just a few thousand years ago?
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Lion IRC » Aug 11, 2010 6:20 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Lion (IRC)

Perhaps. Though wouldn't we expect a swathe of archeological evidence from a group of a couple of million of people sweeping across the land just a few thousand years ago?

More evidence or less evidence than any of the other millions of other people who have lived there over the millenia.
Its about 61,000 square KM today but its not as though there has always been a clearly defined contiguous border crossing area. Where is the argument that all the Israelites knew (or cared) exactly how many kilometers they were from those borders at all times.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#55  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Aug 11, 2010 6:28 am

While there may have been many millions of other people who have lived there over the millenia, a few thousand years ago they would mostly have been disperate tribes. There wouldn't have been many hordes of people consisting of millions of individuals. They would have had needed to have large encampments just to have survived. Why is it that we find the remnants of small villages all over the world, but not the remnants of a travelling tribe numbering in the millions?
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 11, 2010 6:46 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:While there may have been many millions of other people who have lived there over the millenia, a few thousand years ago they would mostly have been disperate tribes. There wouldn't have been many hordes of people consisting of millions of individuals. They would have had needed to have large encampments just to have survived. Why is it that we find the remnants of small villages all over the world, but not the remnants of a travelling tribe numbering in the millions?

If you keep pushing on this point, you will get to where we always get: Magic.

God must have hidden all the real evidence and only left the story in the book, for one of those mysterious reasons that might be related to faith, free will and the sexual abuse of small children.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#57  Postby hotshoe » Aug 11, 2010 6:56 am

Lion IRC wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Lion (IRC)

Citation please.

As far as I know, there have NOT been people living in the Sinai for 200,000+ years, and if that is true, I would really like to update my knowledge by following up on the source of your claim.
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Blood » Aug 12, 2010 1:27 am

hotshoe wrote:
Blood wrote:
hotshoe wrote:

Would you be willing to give one example of his physical evidence that you found convincing ?

I find the fact that 99% of the New Kingdom papyri cannot be recovered to be convincing enough that I shouldn't draw a sweeping conclusion about anything that could have happened during that dynasty. Even if we follow Finkelstein's (and Redford's) argument that the Exodus, if it happened at all, probably occurred closer to the seventh century BCE, I still wouldn't have faith that enough archaeological evidence had survived from that period to conclude anything. I guess it comes down to what extent, if any, we should regard the Old Testament as a historical source. And what we should expect writers of that period and culture to say about such an event, if it did happen. It would astonishing if they did not express the telling of such an event in (to our eyes) wildly exaggerated, mythological terms.
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Blood » Aug 12, 2010 2:01 am

Regarding the "600,000" translation, there is a little bit of controversy in the ANE community about this, viz. if the Hebrew term 'elef, translated as "thousand," should read, in this context, "a group of men, a troop," the actual numbers expressed could be rounded down significantly

C.J. Humphreys' article "The Number of People in the Exodus from Egypt: Decoding Mathematically the Very Large Numbers in Numbers I and XXVI," Vetus Testamentum 48 (1998) addressed this question. I haven't read it, but Humphreys' basic argument is summarized here:

The essence of Humphreys's approach rests on three premises. First, there is at least one figure in the censuses of the book of Numbers, which "stands out as being entirely reasonable." Numbers 3:14-39 reports about the census of the tribe of Levi, conducted separately from the census of other Israelite tribes. This census is summarized with the figure of 22,000 Levite males over one month old. Then, Numbers 3:40-43 reports about the census of the firstborn sons over one month old in the whole Israelite population, which resulted, as noted above, in the figure of 22,273 persons. The surplus of the firstborn sons over the Levites, amounting to 273 persons, is mentioned explicitly in Numbers 3:46. It is this figure which Humphreys took as fully reliable.

Second, Humphreys supposed that the numerical strength of the tribe of Levi was approximately 1/12 of the numerical strength of the whole Israelite population, or 1/11 of the original outcome of the censuses described in Numbers 1 and 26, which did not include Levites.

Third, Humphreys suggested that in the figures for individual tribes, provided in the censuses of Numbers 1 and 26, the Hebrew term 'elef, usually translated as "thousand," should be understood as "a group of men, a troop" -- a meaning somewhat close to that of "family, kin group," which is well attested for 'elef in the Bible. Thus, when the number of males over 20 years old in the tribe of Reuben, for example, is given in Numbers 1:21 as "forty-six 'elefs, five hundred," in Humphreys's view it means 46 troops, consisting of 500 persons in total. This suggestion, of course, is not new with Humphreys and goes back to W. M. Flinders Petrie, who made it, in a slightly different form, back in 1906, and whose precedence Humphreys acknowledged. What was new with Humphreys was the connection of this suggestion with the two mathematical premises mentioned above.

Talk Reason challenges Humphreys here (the complete article):

http://www.talkreason.org/articles/exodus.cfm
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Lion IRC » Aug 12, 2010 7:29 am

hotshoe wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Lion (IRC)

Citation please.

As far as I know, there have NOT been people living in the Sinai for 200,000+ years, and if that is true, I would really like to update my knowledge by following up on the source of your claim.

Not MY claim. You do understand how close the Sinai is to continental Africa right?

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/1 ... arabia.htm
http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... _Peninsula
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity