Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What Can We Reasonably Infer About The Historical Jesus?

#24541  Postby Corky » May 09, 2012 5:14 pm

IgnorantiaNescia wrote:
Corky wrote:Whatever happened to all those thousands of Jews who supposedly believed all that Jesus nonsense? It's as if they vanished into thin air - since there aren't any in any history of that time period. It's as if the Jews never even heard of the god-man until after the Jewish wars. Did they all get killed defending Jerusalem in 66-70 AD? Yeah, that must have been it, they all got killed and that's why there weren't any Jews in a church founded by Jews.

Whom do you think Josephus had in mind aside the Greeks when he wrote: "He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks."? Jawa's?

I don't think that Josephus wrote that or any of the rest of the TF.
Faith is disdain for evidence, dismissal of reason, denial of logic, rejection of reality, contempt for truth.
Corky

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24542  Postby IgnorantiaNescia » May 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Corky wrote:
IgnorantiaNescia wrote:
Corky wrote:Whatever happened to all those thousands of Jews who supposedly believed all that Jesus nonsense? It's as if they vanished into thin air - since there aren't any in any history of that time period. It's as if the Jews never even heard of the god-man until after the Jewish wars. Did they all get killed defending Jerusalem in 66-70 AD? Yeah, that must have been it, they all got killed and that's why there weren't any Jews in a church founded by Jews.

Whom do you think Josephus had in mind aside the Greeks when he wrote: "He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks."? Jawa's?

How dandy. What are your reasons for doing so?
IgnorantiaNescia

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#24543  Postby archibald » May 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Stein wrote:Archibald has asked for figures whose levels of notoriety and documentation are roughly equivalent to that of Jesus the human rabbi.

Er, not quite.

Stein wrote:....and these names submitted here are strictly a start just to show how clueless those readers are who imagine that the documentation on Jesus the human rabbi is atypically sparse. It isn't.

You're right. It isn't. And I'm not sure who said it might be.

Stein wrote:
Draco - lived during the late seventh century BCE, the earliest surviving mention seems to be Andocides who lived during the late fifth century BCE
Eilmer of Malmsbury - earliest source is William of Malmsbury writing in the early twelfth century, he likely never knew Eilmer but knew people who did
Nicholas of Myra - earliest surviving source is Michael the Archmandrite writing his hagiography several centuries later
Thales of Miletus - earliest surviving source is Herodotus, who lived more than half a century later

Stein

Rushing out here. I'll give you the list again and maybe you can help me tick them off.

Quickly doing Eilmer, I think he would tick 1-8, though not sure about 6 (astrological charts?) which would leave 9-17......

1. It's generally agreed that Ancient History doesn't provide strong evidence compared to either current events or more recent history. This has gotta bring the assessment down, for everyone from ancient history.

2. No archaeology. Down another tad.

3. No original texts. down a tad.

4. No primary sources. Down a tad.

5. No secondary sources. Down a tad.

6. No writings by the figure. Down a tad.

7. No contemporaneous references. Down a smidgeon.

8. Most of the evidence not from independent or disinterested sources.

9. Most of the evidence from theologically motivated individuals.

10. Same individuals largely, if not entirely, anonymous to history, and undated. Forgeries commonplace.

11. Earliest independent source has been tampered with and is not contemporary anyway.

12. Figure described as supernatural from the get go.

13. Earliest source contains an odd lack of historical detail.

14. Figure dripping in mythology and supernatural claims.

15. Evidence contains other made up figures and events.

16. Plausible hypotheses that a lot of the texts are allegorical

17. Evidence that texts were routinely amended.

Try this thought experiment in relation to, say, only no. 12 alone. Instead of a story about how a figure in a text built a glider, jumped off a tower and went 20 furlongs (as is the story of Eilmer), imagine the earliest story says he (Eilmer) generally flew about the place, without a glider. Would that sort of thing, of itself, add to his likely historicity, or slightly take away from it?
Last edited by archibald on May 09, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#24544  Postby Corky » May 09, 2012 6:29 pm

IgnorantiaNescia wrote:
Corky wrote:
IgnorantiaNescia wrote:

Because it's ridiculous. Josephus was a Pharisee teacher of high rank and not a Xian.
Faith is disdain for evidence, dismissal of reason, denial of logic, rejection of reality, contempt for truth.
Corky

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24545  Postby Corky » May 09, 2012 6:44 pm

IgnorantiaNescia wrote:
I'm not convinced about Paul's ignorance of Jesus' earthly ministry at all, Paul does mention some elements of earthly ministry, like Jesus' teachings on divorce (1 Cor 7: 10) and recounts what he said during the Last Supper (1 Cor 11: 23-26). It is not detailed, but he does mention such aspects.

What historicists fail to see is that 1 Cor. 11:23-26 makes their historical Jesus into an omniscient god-man who knew that he was about to be crucified and wanted his followers to remember his death on the cross and his shed blood with bread and wine. What a prophet this historical Jesus was... it's almost miraculous.

Could it be that Paul made the "last supper" story up out of his own head? Or, could Jesus actually see the future?
Corky

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24546  Postby Byron » May 09, 2012 10:21 pm

archibald wrote:Awkward. Objective. Facts. A veritable hat trick..... of near misses. Glad to see your SOH is intact, as ever. :cheers:

The plain fact is that Carrier has made allegations (or, if I'm being generous, insinuations) for which he's offered zero evidence. Mark that. Zero, zilch, nada, nothing.

Now, you can say that evidence doesn't matter. That's your prerogative. But if you choose that path, you're not arguing a reasoned position. However much sarcasm is deployed.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#24547  Postby Byron » May 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Blood wrote:Oh, I'm quaking.

So what's Allison's theory on why Jesus's disciples and their followers allowed the Jesus movement to so quickly be transformed into an anti-Jewish, Greek-dominated, quasi-mystery religion? He must have rock solid reasons to explain how that happened.

Why would he need to? That's way beyond HJ, and well known. Paul got the Jerusalem church to admit Gentiles without demanding conversion; and the Jerusalem church was in the epicenter of the Jewish War (Corky: as I've told you before, Jewish Christians, such as the Ebionites, survived Jesus by several centuries, and got denounced as heretics for their troubles). It's no surprise that hostility arose between Gentile Christians who had ditched the law of Moses took their authority from heaven (via Paul), and Jewish followers of Jesus who observed the law and took their authority from lineage (Jesus' kin).
Blood wrote:It's pretty simple. You get kicked out of Jesus College if you suggest he's a myth. Then you're no longer qualified to be published.

Just give it time. A hundred years ago, you would have been kicked out if you'd suggested Moses was a myth.

Same old, same old.

D'you have a single example of any qualified academic being "kicked out of Jesus College" for suggesting that Jesus was a myth (and I don't mean some hick school that demands beliefs in inerrancy and cavemen riding Dino to work).
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#24548  Postby Clive Durdle » May 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Jesuses

Jesi?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24549  Postby proudfootz » May 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Ian Tattum wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Ian Tattum wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

Yes, like children who assume Santa Claus exists because that's what they were told can consider themselves 'Santa experts' without ever realizing there's no basis in fact for their 'knowledge'...

Nothing like Santa Claus at all. This is one of those puerile comparisons that convinces me that disinterested objectivity is not a fundamental motive of many skeptics! The point Ehrmann seems to be making is a much fairer point, that all those who study ancient history tend to be optimistic about evidence that the more hard headed might wish to question more radically.

Not really a bad comparison at all, since for both figures what most of us 'know' about them is pure fantasy.

As has been pointed out time after time here, if you were to apply the myther's version of Occam's razor to most of the evidence we have for personalities of the ancient world, they would not make the cut, because most of it is to be found in texts copied over centuries by monks!

And has been pointed out time and time again, this charge is often asserted but has not been able to be supported. Each historical figure must stand on its own two legs, and we won't 'lose' Boudicca if it turns out Jesus was invented any more than we have 'lost' anything of real historical value because Abraham and Moses have been consigned to the fiction pile.

What exactly do you mean by the 'myther version of Occam's Razor'? It sounds like you're building a straw man as I haven't seen anything but the standard Occam's Razor being employed. As I have helpfully pointed out for the math-challenged every HJ hypothesis will always has one more entity than any MJ hypothesis: namely Jesus. If Occam's razor means anything in this debate it works against the proposition of an 'historical Jesus'.

Sappho, for example one of my favourite poets, is mainly known through texts that date to 900 years after her death! Apparently found in the same rubbish dump that gave us the earliest gospels etc!

Unlike Sappho, Jesus wrote nothing (except those letters to Agbar :drunk: ). Do you see where having works written by the person might be stronger evidence of a person having existed?

This is why I'm ready to accept the existence of a Paul who wrote letters - somebody wrote them.

Those of us drawn to study a subject often are predisposed to care about it, which means that asking more interesting questions than 'Is there unquestionable evidence that he or she existed?' tends to get the better of us.

Of course there's lots of interesting questions, but before asserting 'Harry Potter certainly existed and anyone who doubts is a crank' it behooves the scholar to investigate whether such claims are really tenable, wouldn't you agree?

Now its Harry Potter! Your analogies only fly if your starting assumption is that Jesus was a childish legend or a character in a few works of fiction.

The question to be answered is whether Jesus is a legend, a fiction, or perhaps a human person around whom legends and fictions were attached. But before asserting, as some do, that 'Jesus certainly existed and any who doubt it are cranks' it behooves us to investigate whether that hyposhtesis has the level of reliability to justify such a strong claim, wouldn't you agree?

My point about Occam's razor is that it tends to be used like a cuthroat variety., rather than a beard trimmer.

By whom? I see the whole Occam's razor thing here as a substitute for thought, as if claiming Occam is on one's side the whole argument is decided.

I don't see why you brought Boudicca up, as like Spartacus, there is archaeological backing for the literary texts, although of course someone who embraces the absolute proof model of history making would find against them both.

Yes, Boudicca and Spartacus are figures whose historicity have been deemed as 'threatened' if it turns out Jesus cannot be considered historical. It's part of the history of this thread - as you've arrived a little late to the party you're bound to be confused sometimes should I refer to the ongoing give and take. Sorry! :cheers:

But AFAICT no one has made a case for their situations being in any way equal to that of the figure under discussion here.

I chose Sappho, because from the historical point of view, she is simply a name on a few texts whose provenance is lost in the mists of time- and we all know the old proverb about never trusting greeks. Doubting her existence is perfectly reasonable but to make doing so a pre-requisite for being taken seriously as a scholar is another matter.

Of course you're quite correct - doubting the historical existence of someone like Sappho or Jesus shouldn't be considered a pre-requisite (and AFAIK no one has suggested that doubt must be enforced, quite the opposite it seems), and likewise doubts of such dubious figures should not be a bar to anyone either. I think here we are in perfect accord.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24550  Postby proudfootz » May 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Corky wrote:
IgnorantiaNescia wrote:
I'm not convinced about Paul's ignorance of Jesus' earthly ministry at all, Paul does mention some elements of earthly ministry, like Jesus' teachings on divorce (1 Cor 7: 10) and recounts what he said during the Last Supper (1 Cor 11: 23-26). It is not detailed, but he does mention such aspects.

What historicists fail to see is that 1 Cor. 11:23-26 makes their historical Jesus into an omniscient god-man who knew that he was about to be crucified and wanted his followers to remember his death on the cross and his shed blood with bread and wine. What a prophet this historical Jesus was... it's almost miraculous.

Could it be that Paul made the "last supper" story up out of his own head? Or, could Jesus actually see the future?

It's absurd to me that anyone would take the 'last supper' - complete with simulated cannibalism and vampirism (this is supposed to be jewish already?) and accurate prophesy - as being in any way related to an ordinary mortal man. Why not simply admit one swallows the bible whole and stop pretending to be anything other than credulous?
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24551  Postby proudfootz » May 10, 2012 12:17 am

Byron wrote:Thanks for that IgnorantiaNescia.

The definition of a historical Jesus is an interesting question. How many points of similarity must there be between the gospels and the historical reality in order to say that Jesus existed?

Hoffmann appears to be working in that framework. This thread could be working within it if it wasn't fixated on MJ v. HJ.

AFAICT no one's stopping anyone from defining what they mean by 'historical Jesus'.

If you'd like to stop fixating on MJ versus HJ, you're welcome to do that, too. :cheers:

I have always said it is plausible that there might be a man under the mountain of myth we know as 'Jesus Christ'.

As a gesture of good faith, here's the kernel of an idea for an 'historical Jesus':

1) an ordinary mortal man,
2) called or named Jesus,
3) who lived in Judea
4) somewhere around the time in question,
5) whose notoriety caused people to tell stories about him (either during his life but certainly after)
6) and these stories contributed significantly to the surviving tales about the 'Jesus Christ' we're familiar with today.

Questions? Comments? Complaints?
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24552  Postby Corky » May 10, 2012 12:43 am

proudfootz wrote:
Corky wrote:
IgnorantiaNescia wrote:

It's absurd to me that anyone would take the 'last supper' - complete with simulated cannibalism and vampirism (this is supposed to be jewish already?) and accurate prophesy - as being in any way related to an ordinary mortal man. Why not simply admit one swallows the bible whole and stop pretending to be anything other than credulous?

Yeah, if the last supper is going to be considered "historical" fact we might as well have all Jesus' miracles as historical facts.
Corky

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24553  Postby Corky » May 10, 2012 12:49 am

proudfootz wrote:

The definition of a historical Jesus is an interesting question. How many points of similarity must there be between the gospels and the historical reality in order to say that Jesus existed?

Hoffmann appears to be working in that framework. This thread could be working within it if it wasn't fixated on MJ v. HJ.

AFAICT no one's stopping anyone from defining what they mean by 'historical Jesus'.

If you'd like to stop fixating on MJ versus HJ, you're welcome to do that, too. :cheers:

I have always said it is plausible that there might be a man under the mountain of myth we know as 'Jesus Christ'.

As a gesture of good faith, here's the kernel of an idea for an 'historical Jesus':

3) who lived in Judea
5) whose notoriety caused people to tell stories about him (either during his life but certainly after)
6) and these stories contributed significantly to the surviving tales about the 'Jesus Christ' we're familiar with today.

#5 - someone who had enough "notoriety" that caused people to invent supernatural stories about him would have had enough notoriety to have been mentioned by every single historian of the time.
Corky

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24554  Postby proudfootz » May 10, 2012 1:15 am

Corky wrote:
IgnorantiaNescia wrote:

I agree, for reasons you are no doubt familiar with having read the thread.

I don't think either mention of 'Jesus Christ' in Josephus comes from Josephus.

Antiquities 18

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1149245

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1160083

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1208130

Antiquities 20

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1205283

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1263034

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1263753

But I think you yourself may have put it most succinctly:

Just look at all the evidence:

Josephus - forgery + hearsay = 0
Tacitus - hearsay + possible forgery = 0
Gal. 1:19 - possible interpolation + possible misinterpretation = 0

0 + 0 + 0 = 0

See, absolutely no room for doubting the existence of Jesus at all..."he most certainly did exist" - Bart Ehrman.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1294082
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24555  Postby proudfootz » May 10, 2012 1:24 am

Corky wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

3) who lived in Judea

#5 - someone who had enough "notoriety" that caused people to invent supernatural stories about him would have had enough notoriety to have been mentioned by every single historian of the time.

I'm thinking here of some who fits a definition of an 'historical Jesus' whose existence forms a substantial basis for the 'Jesus Christ' of the bible would have some kind of fame or notoriety either during his life or after death.

It may have been only a local fame, as far as I am concerned. We have quite a lot of time to work with in my model: let's for starters say year 0 plus or minus 100 years. We can tweak it as needed.

However that would certainly make it more difficult to find any evidence if it was someone merely known among a small obscure community.

Certainly an 'historical Jesus' was not as famous as depicted in surviving stories, I agree. IMO need not have come to notice of the Romans or the Jewish rulers at all.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24556  Postby Blood » May 10, 2012 2:25 am

Byron wrote:

So what's Allison's theory on why Jesus's disciples and their followers allowed the Jesus movement to so quickly be transformed into an anti-Jewish, Greek-dominated, quasi-mystery religion? He must have rock solid reasons to explain how that happened.

Why would he need to? That's way beyond HJ, and well known. Paul got the Jerusalem church to admit Gentiles without demanding conversion; and the Jerusalem church was in the epicenter of the Jewish War (Corky: as I've told you before, Jewish Christians, such as the Ebionites, survived Jesus by several centuries, and got denounced as heretics for their troubles). It's no surprise that hostility arose between Gentile Christians who had ditched the law of Moses took their authority from heaven (via Paul), and Jewish followers of Jesus who observed the law and took their authority from lineage (Jesus' kin).

So the Messianic, back to the Torah, purist/nationalist Jewish Jesus movement Allison describes thought the best way to advance that idea was to not only take in a guy who opposed the Torah, and pretty much hated Jews, and then have that same idiot go out and romance the pagan Gentiles, the people whose ideas they were 100% opposed to? The same people they had formed the Messianic movement to oppose in the first place?

That scenario doesn't make any sense historically, socially, psychologically, or any other way I can think of, but other than that, it's a great theory.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24557  Postby proudfootz » May 10, 2012 3:00 am

Blood wrote:
Byron wrote:

So the Messianic, back to the Torah, purist/nationalist Jewish Jesus movement Allison describes thought the best way to advance that idea was to not only take in a guy who opposed the Torah, and pretty much hated Jews, and then have that same idiot go out and romance the pagan Gentiles, the people whose ideas they were 100% opposed to? The same people they had formed the Messianic movement to oppose in the first place?

That scenario doesn't make any sense historically, socially, psychologically, or any other way I can think of, but other than that, it's a great theory.

It certainly seems like an enormous difficulty to postulate that Paul and his ilk had anything to do with any jewish messianic movement, which you've noted we would expect would to be both ultra-nationalistic and ultra-orthodox.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Who Qualifies as An 'Historic Jesus'?

#24558  Postby proudfootz » May 10, 2012 3:14 am

proudfootz wrote:

3) who lived in Judea

I realize my tentative list is very vague. But as I think about it some more there's likely to be at least a couple of tiers of importance.

Some items will be deal-breakers, others will be nice confirmation if verified but not essential for an 'historic Jesus' candidate.

Suppose, for example, we find we have evidence of a man during the time of Pilate who preached, gathered disciples, and somehow or another managed to get himself crucified... but his name was Isaac. Is the name 'Jesus' a deal-breaker?

Or conversely suppose we find evidence of a Jesus who preached, gathered disciples, but died in a tragic chariot accident? Is crucifixion a deal-breaker?

Or perhaps a Jesus who did not travel around preaching, but taught ethics exclusively in his hometown of Nazareth? Is itinerant preaching a deal-breaker?

Examples could be multiplied indefinitely.

Like most philosophical quandaries, we seem to come down to definition of terms: what is essential to a person's biography that makes him a viable candidate as an 'historic Jesus' - meaning simply this man is likely the one and only person upon whom later 'Jesus the Christ' stories were based?
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24559  Postby proudfootz » May 10, 2012 3:26 am

Corky wrote:
IgnorantiaNescia wrote:
Corky wrote:
IgnorantiaNescia wrote:

Because it's ridiculous. Josephus was a Pharisee teacher of high rank and not a Xian.

I'm not convinced the author of Paul was really a Pharisee. Some suggest the author(s) of ePaul get their scripture from the greek Septuagint and not from the hebrew as we'd expect of a Pharisee.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24560  Postby dogsgod » May 10, 2012 4:16 am

Byron wrote:
Same old, same old.

D'you have a single example of any qualified academic being "kicked out of Jesus College" for suggesting that Jesus was a myth (and I don't mean some hick school that demands beliefs in inerrancy and cavemen riding Dino to work).

Of course, here's but one:

Gerd Lüdemann (born 5 July 1946 in Visselhövede), is a German New Testament scholar. He taught this subject from 1983 to 1999 at the Faculty of Theology of the University of Göttingen. Since 1999 he has taught there with a special status as Chair of History and Literature of Early Christianity. He is married with four children and seven grandchildren.

After periods of teaching and research at McMaster University (1977–79) and Vanderbilt University (1979–82), he was appointed in 1983 to the Chair in New Testament Studies in the Theological Faculty of the University of Göttingen. Following a series of historically critical publications culminating in the publication of his book Der große Betrug: Und was Jesus wirklich sagte und tat (The Great Deception: And What Jesus Really Said and Did) in 1999, in which he argued that only about five per cent of the sayings attributed to Jesus are genuine and the historical evidence does not support the claims of traditional Christianity, the Confederation of Protestant Churches in Lower Saxony called for his dismissal from the Chair of New Testament Studies. Lüdemann stated that his studies convinced him that his previous Christian faith, based as it was on Biblical Studies, had become impossible: 'the person of Jesus himself becomes insufficient as a foundation of faith once most of the New Testament statements about him have proved to be later interpretations by the community'.

Although the call for his dimissal was rejected by the state government of Lower Saxony, the members of the faculty, under pressure from the Church, complained to the University President that Professor Lüdemann had "fundamentally put in question the intrinsic soundness of Protestant theology at the University". As a result the Chair of New Testament was renamed the Chair of History and Literature of Early Christianity, his research funding was cut and his teaching was no longer part of the curriculum. Ludemann complained that 'most of my colleagues have long since left the principles of the Church behind them yet still seek to attach themselves to this tradition by symbolic interpretation and by other interpretative skills'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerd_L%C3%BCdemann

dogsgod

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity