A Geocentrist's Absolute F*ckwittery.

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: A Geocentrist's Absolute F*ckwittery.

#41  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Care to explain how space-time expansion can take place without it being uniform? Only I think astronomers would have noticed this by now, given that they've been pointing bloody huge telescopes at the sky for over a century, and have had telescopes in space of two decades ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Rumraket » Jul 14, 2010 9:50 pm

CharlieM wrote:
Calilasseia:
Indeed, this expansion of the fabric of space-time is taking place inside your body as you speak. It's taking place inside the atoms of your body. The reason you don't notice it is because, on a local scale, the expansion is extremely tiny...

Maybe this site should change its name from rationalskepticism to selectiveskepticism. Am I the only one here that is skeptical of this statement. If individual atoms are still moving apart due to the same forces that caused the universe to expand in the first place, how on earth did matter manage to coalesce. The Hubble constant doesn't even apply to local groups of galaxies let alone atoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space

Local perturbations
The expansion of space is sometimes described as a force which acts to push objects apart. Though this is an accurate description of the effect of the cosmological constant, it is not an accurate picture of the phenomenon of expansion in general. For much of the universe's history the expansion has been due mainly to inertia. The matter in the very early universe was flying apart for unknown reasons (most likely as a result of cosmic inflation) and has simply continued to do so, though at an ever-decreasing rate due to the attractive effect of gravity. In addition to slowing the overall expansion, gravity causes local clumping of matter into stars and galaxies. These stars and galaxies do not subsequently expand, there being no force compelling them to do so. There is no essential difference between the inertial expansion of the universe and the inertial separation of nearby objects in a vacuum; the former is simply a large-scale extrapolation of the latter. A uniform local "explosion" of matter can be locally described by the FLRW geometry, the same geometry which describes the expansion of the universe as a whole. In particular, general relativity predicts that light will move at the speed c with respect to the local motion of the exploding matter, a phenomenon analogous to frame dragging.
This situation changes somewhat with the introduction of a cosmological constant. A cosmological constant has the effect of a repulsive force between objects which is proportional (not inversely proportional) to distance. Unlike inertia it actively "pulls" on objects which have clumped together under the influence of gravity, and even on individual atoms. However this does not cause the objects to grow steadily or to disintegrate; unless they are very weakly bound, they will simply settle into an equilibrium state which is slightly (undetectably) larger than it would otherwise have been. As the universe expands and the matter in it thins, the gravitational attraction decreases (since it is proportional to the density), while the cosmological repulsion increases; thus the ultimate fate of the ΛCDM universe is a near vacuum expanding at an ever increasing rate under the influence of the cosmological constant. However the only locally visible effect of the accelerating expansion is the disappearance (by runaway redshift) of distant galaxies; gravitationally bound objects like the Milky Way do not expand.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#43  Postby CharlieM » Jul 15, 2010 1:00 am

[quote]Calilasseia:
Care to explain how space-time expansion can take place without it being uniform?

Depends what you mean by uniform. Would you say that the Hubble constant correlates to the expansion of space-time? Are you justified in applying the Hubble constant to atomic scales when it doesn't even apply between stars in our galaxy?

As Rumraket's excerpt states:

"gravitationally bound objects like the Milky Way do not expand.", but are you saying that our bodies do? If everything is expanding at the same rate, including our measuring equipment, how could we become aware of the expansion? Surely their relative sizes would remain constant.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 15, 2010 9:20 am

I said that the fabric of space-time expands. I didn't say anything about entities within that fabric. If there are forces present keeping compound entities held together (and last time I checked, the strong nuclear force in nuclei was pretty damn powerful), then those entities aren't going to change size, are they?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Rumraket » Jul 15, 2010 9:38 am

Calilasseia wrote:I said that the fabric of space-time expands. I didn't say anything about entities within that fabric. If there are forces present keeping compound entities held together (and last time I checked, the strong nuclear force in nuclei was pretty damn powerful), then those entities aren't going to change size, are they?

This is also how I understood it. Of course it would not make sense if individual particles within the atoms were moving further apart. Atoms would be splitting all the time and nowhere could matter exist.
But the forces holding matter together at the "local" macroscopic(sub-intergalactic) scales propagate at the speed of light and are many orders of magnitude stronger than the expansion of space at these scales. Electrons are bound around the nucleus by the electromagnetic force, which is quite strong. The nucleus is bound by the strong nuclear force. The planets and stars are held together by gravity and they always will be. Eventually all of it will be devoured by black holes, who will themselves be so far removed from each other that space will be expanding between it faster than light can propagate across. And so the black holes, theory predicts, will eventually evaporate by hawking radiaion in some unfathomable timespan and the universe will suffer it's ultimate heat-death.
And so, I'm going to paraphrase Lawrence Krauss's lecture "A universe from nothing" wherein he quotes som graduate student's graduation speech : Things are going to get unimaginably worse and they are never ever going to get better again.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#46  Postby CharlieM » Jul 16, 2010 9:07 am

I said that the fabric of space-time expands. I didn't say anything about entities within that fabric. If there are forces present keeping compound entities held together (and last time I checked, the strong nuclear force in nuclei was pretty damn powerful), then those entities aren't going to change size, are they?

My understanding is that because gravity warps space-time then within our galaxy gravity counteracts the expansion of space-time. Space-time might be uniform on the scale of the universe but as the quote in Rumraket's post says there are local perturbations.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Animavore » Jul 19, 2010 8:23 am

Even other creationists laugh at Nephy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3f1WmN70YM[/youtube]
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#48  Postby tnjrp » Jul 19, 2010 8:45 am

Yep, it's much more specious for example to use general relativity to "prove" that the six days of creation in the Bible correspond to the 13+ billion years of cosmological evolution. The highly talented people capable of such feats of scientific apologetics wouldn't want to be associated with geocentrist ignorami.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#49  Postby scruffy » Jul 19, 2010 8:52 am

Why would dark matter collect around the galaxy? Why wouldn't it collect all through it? And if it were all through it, why wouldn't it make the galaxy just implode on itself and just like come apart?
See? It doesn't even make sense -

:picard:
scruffy

Name: Jared Clark
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism