Dialog on "Creationists Read This"

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dialog on "Creationists Read This"

#1081  Postby Wilberforce1860 » Sep 25, 2014 3:48 am

Shrunk wrote:
Wilberforce1860 wrote:I believe I have been straightforward about the ground I stand on, though I haven't mentioned every possible source of knowledge. It is your ground that interests me. I prefer not to prejudice your answers. To get an idea of where you go for the answers to questions that science does not provide, I listed five questions on p. 11, #207. They are:

1. How to comfort a child that is afraid of a thunderstorm?
2. How to convince a child there are no monsters under his bed, so that he/she can fall asleep?
3. How to convince a woman I am in love with to marry me?
4. How to forgive someone who has hurt me?
5. Tell me why to forgive someone who has hurt me?”

As I said to ADParker, it is curious to me that no one has yet given simple answers to these common situations. They all deal with human relationships. I am interested in people's answers, and in where they learned what they know.

#1-4 I have managed to do successfully, and all were learned thru the scientific method, in the broader sense of the term that I have used earlier.

It would be helpful if you could describe again this "more broad" scientific method.

Would you be willing to actually describe what you did in #1-4? I find providing something descriptive far more informative than a simple assertion like "I used the scientific method, broadly speaking".

Shrunk wrote:
From what you have said, you have also learned them thru the scientific method.

I wouldn't say that.

Shrunk wrote:
You just refuse to call it that because it is inconvenient for your world view to do so, just as you ignore all of the evidence inconvenient for your adherence to Young Earth Creationism.

I don't think that all ways of knowing reduce to the scientific method. I'm not sure about your "broader scientific method", but I may not agree with that as something that all ways of knowing reduce to.

Shrunk wrote:
I reject your premise that #5 is an answerable question. It is merely a question upon which one can have any of a number of opinions, any of which might strike one as more or less convincing.

My best answer for this violates the Forum User's Agreement, so I won't mention it here.

One answer I like is that not forgiving someone is like taking poison, and hoping it kills the other person.

I did not obtain either of these through the scientific method. Yet they seem reasonable and workable to me.
‘I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof of any of them... All religions, that is, all mythologies, to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention, Christ as much as Loki.’ C.S. Lewis, 1916.
Wilberforce1860

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1082  Postby Wilberforce1860 » Sep 25, 2014 4:01 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:
Wilberforce1860 wrote:I have made no argument for the existence of God. I have been making the case that thoughts and emotions exist, but cannot be detected unless revealed.

To me, this means that other things can exist, which we cannot detect, because they haven't been revealed. Or quite possibly, they haven't been recognized, or accepted for what they are. That raises the question of what kind of evidence might exist for such things?

I am simply using the example of thoughts and feelings to open the door to consideration of other things we cannot detect, and possible evidence for them. I haven't said anything about the things, or the evidence. I don't believe I have made an argument about said things or the evidence, yet, so I am not sure how it has already failed!

:shock: You are still going on about this? What makes you so certain that thoughts and emotions can't be detected? We detect them all of the time. :scratch:

I am in a room
My eyes are closed
I am thinking "I will steal the cookie on the table"

Why do you think this is undetectable?

Because you haven't said anything about it to anyone, or stolen the cookies yet?
‘I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof of any of them... All religions, that is, all mythologies, to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention, Christ as much as Loki.’ C.S. Lewis, 1916.
Wilberforce1860

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1083  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 25, 2014 4:24 am

Let's cut to the chase Wilberforce, are you committed to intellectual honesty, or not?
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#1084  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 25, 2014 4:45 am

Once again, it seems the elementary concepts are needed ...

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

This is complete nonsense. Humans have been documenting how they arrive at their ideas, ever since writing was invented. or did you miss this elementary fact in the requisite classes?

Indeed, that documentation, available in vast quantity, tells us that human beings start the process of generating ideas, by fabricating assertions.

What causes humans to fabricate assertions? That is my question, and what I mean when I say, we don't know how they arise.

Curiosity and a desire to know. Once again, did you not pay attention when such elementary concepts were being presented in relevant classes?

What causes humans to be curious and have a desire to know? And are these necessary for generating thoughts? They may be. But the connection does not appear to me to be necessary, or even obvious.

In my next post, I said "curiosity". Which is, in effect, nothing more than the redirection of an existing trait, found in virtually all motile organisms, to search for items of interest, e.g., food, water, shelter etc. Some of these organisms manage to conduct this process quite happily wihout a brain, relying solely upon signals from chemical receptors, such as the protists, which lack a brain because they are single celled organisms. However, once a group of organisms acquires a brain, however small, this process aided because that brain can process the incoming sensory data, and provide explicit output signals directing that organism to head in the relevant direction. Moreover, that brain also makes the process of avoiding other organisms seking to eat it somewhat more efficient, courtesy of similar data processing.

The moment that subsequent organisms acquire extra features as part of their brains, that decision making process can be expanded. To cover such tasks as nurturing young, and constructing a nest site. The next stage in the process, consists of applying that expanded decision making process to the matter of maintaining social ties with other members of the species, when the emergence of those social ties becomes a selectable advantage. At this point, additional features then facilitate communication of information between members of the social group, facilitating co-operative endeavours. The moment this is all in place, it's but a short step to acquiring the capacity for abstract thought, indeed, as the scientific literature tells us, just two mutations in the FOXP2 gene in our ancestors bestwowed upon us the capacity for language as we know it today. Which in turn facilitates the business of asking "what if?" questions, initially about immediate matters of survival import, such as "what if that herd of nice juicy antelope enter that blind alley?, facilitating planning for the future.

That you think this is all some sort of ineffable mystery, says much about your purported ponderings on the subject.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
If, on the other hand, you want to shift the goalposts, and ask what makes it possible for us to do this,

What makes it possible to do what?

Read on.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:I refer you to the neurochemists down the corridor. Because, wait for it, neurons act as data processing entities when they exchange signals. Indeed, numerous computer simulations of networks of neurons, are being pressed into service right now for a variety of data processing tasks, such as face recognition (indeed, the BBC television programme Tomorrow's World demonstrated this application working back in the 1980s), handwriting recognition (if you ever owned a Palm Pilot, this was an application of that technology), stock market prediction (Wall Street has been using this for years), and indeed were the driving force behind the development of massively parallel processors.

These are interesting applications. But these all work just fine with digital computers. No other intelligence, like generating their own thoughts, is required.

Which should be telling you something wonderfully informative about the nature of intelligence, as a product of data processing.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Because wait for it, that's exactly what your brain is - a massively parallel processor made up of lots of tiny units working together. Unfortunately, it's possible to feed that massively parallel processor bad or garbage data,

It is certainly a part of what your brain is. Not exactly what it is.

Oh really? Do provide us all with relevant scientific citations for the "extra parts" you're asserting above are present.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:and compromise its working, which is all too often what supernaturalism does.

It doesn't work at all without God

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

The fact that I don't regard assertions about your magic man as fact, hasn't hindered me in understanding the relevant concepts in the slightest. Indeed, the evidence from your posts, suggests the opposite is true - insert assertions about a magic man into the data processing stream, and the proper functioning thereof goes completely tits up.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:and works much better when submitted to Him, in my experience.

The evidence in your posts, demosntrating your vast swathes of incredulity with respect to topics many of us here mastered in high school, says the exact opposite.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:These are assertions I will not defend in this thread.

Because you can't. The evidence says you're plain, flat, wrong.I don't even have to point to any of the neuroscience literature to demonstrate this, all I need to do is point to your continued treatment of elementary concepts as purportedly constituting some sort of ineffable mystery, one purportedly needing a fantastic magic entity whose existence has only ever been asserted.

Moving on ... with respect to the business of chemical alteration of the requisite data processing ...

Wilberforce1860 wrote:It is not clear to me what "thoughts were introduced". That is, no one said, "This is a thought we are going to inject into our subject with this chemical.

A horrendously incompetent misreading of the entire experiment. And again, indicative of the wrongness of your earlier assertions about the purported "necessity" of your imaginary magic man.

The experiment was intended to demonstrate, quite simply, that the usual train of thoughts present in human brains, undergoes transformation when those chemicals are introduced. It wasn't intended to predict the exact nature of those transformed thoughts, merely to demonstrate that said transformation takes place.

Oh, and did you not pay attention to the parts where the experimental subject openly and explicitly spoke of altered perception of time, and how this affected his thoughts on a range of subjects?

Wilberforce1860 wrote:The thought is 'Pink elephants are preferred by most children to blue ones' ", for example. And then injected the chemical, and the subject said it.

Altering one's ability to think clearly, or causing them to see spots or other hallucinations, is changing their perceptions.

Oh wait, much of our thought is devoted to processing perceptual data. Or did you miss this elementary concept?

Wilberforce1860 wrote:Their thoughts about these things remain their own.

Oh wait, the experimental subject openly discussed those thoughts. Or did you miss this?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1085  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 25, 2014 5:59 am

Wilberforce1860 wrote:You are taking "fabricate assertions" a little too seriously.

Wrong. It seems you need me to teach you more elementary concepts.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:By "fabricate assertions" I simply meant how do we "come up with ideas". Whether we believe they are true, or think they might be, or know they are not.

Oh wait, what was it I said in this post about the proper rules of discourse? Here it is again:

[1] Assertions, when first presented, posssess the status "truth value unknown".

[2] The purpose of proper discourse is to remedy that deficit, and assign a truth value to assertions presented.

[3] This is achieved by testing assertions, to see if they are in accord with extant knowledge. Assertions that cannot be thus tested are useless, as they tell us nothing.

[4] Assertions that are testable only tell us something when they are tested.

[5] If the test tells us the assertions are false, then those assertions are discarded.

Apply those five steps, and the rest follows.

Now, after revisiting those proper rules of discourse, here's another of those elementary concepts you apparently need.

Our ideas generally fall into two categories: questions, whose initial status is "unanswered", and assertions. An assertion is any statement purporting to present substantive knowledge about a given system of interest. The rules [1] to [5] above then apply thereto. Assertions are our first attempts to answer questions, but they only provide genuine answers thereto, if rules [2] through [4] are applied in a diligent manner. Without said diligent application of those rules to an assertion, that assertion remains indistinguishable from fantasy. This is why, when contemplating the business of ideas in a rigorous manner, those of us who understand the issues speak of assertions, and the fabrication thereof., because this is how all our attempts to answer questions begin. But without methods for testing those assertions, the process goes no further, and those assertions remain forever in the limbo of "truth value unknown".

At the moment, we have two tests that have been demonstrated repeatedly to be reliable. One, demonstrating that the assertion is in accord with observational data. Two, demonstrating that the assertion, where this is possible, is the conclusion of an error-free formal deductive proof. However, in the latter case, epsecial care needs to be taken, to demonstrate that the assertion can indeed bemade the subject of a formal deductive proof in the first place, by careful reference to the axioms and extant theorems of the formal system in question. Not least, because it is easily demonstrated, for example, that logically true statements of the propositional calculus, can have substituted into their variables, a veritable infinity of nonsense statements, without affecting the truth-value of the symbolic expression representing the requisite instances. For example, the statement:

"If the moon is made of mouldy Emmental, than I am a purple banana"

has the form of a material conditional sensu Quine, and that material conditional has the following truth table:

Code: Select all
P        Q        P ⊃ Q

F        F        T
F        T        T
T        F        F
T        T        T

The expression "P ⊃ Q" is usually read "If P then Q", and Quine, in his text Methods of Logic, is careful to stress that this does not equal implication. Implication, rather, consists of a situation where a particular material conditional is true for all possible input values of the contributing variables, this logical condition being described in his work as validity. From that text, on page 28, we have (my explanatory notes in blue):

Willard Van Ormand Quine wrote:A truth-functional schema [namely, an expression involving variables combined by logical operators] is called consistent if it comes out true under some interpretation of its letters; [substituting the constants 'true' or 'false' into those variables, to determine the resulting truth-value of the expression, is in this work the initial meaning of 'interpretation'] otherwise inconsistent. [in short, a propositional expression is inconsistent, if all possible substitutions of the logical constants into the variables, result in the entire expression being false - to be consistent, only one combination of those constants needs to yield the value 'true' for the whole expression]. A truth-functional schema is called valid if it comes out true under every interpretation of its letters.

Examples are illustrative here. The expression "P ⊃ Q" is consistent: substituting "false" for P and "true" for Q, results in the entire expression being true, courtesy of the above truth table. The expression"P ⊃ P" is valid: no matter what value we substitute for P, the resulting expression is always true. The expression "P ∧ ~P", where ∧ is the logical AND operator, and ~ is the logical negation operator, is inconsistent: no value of P will make this expression true.

The value of the propositional calculus, of course, is that we can substitute into those variables, statements possessing a known truth-value, and derive substantive arguments therefrom. Or, in reverse, we can convert statements into symbolic form, substitute the relevant logical constants, apply the method of truth tables (or quicker derivatives thereof such as appear in Quine's textbook), and arrive at a truth-value for the entire statement.

The above example I have provided, however, informs us that being merely logically true, is no guarantor of material fact. No sane person would consider my nonsense statement above as being remotely applicable to the real world, yet, despite being utter nonsense, it takes the form of a logically true statement. Which is one reason why particular care is required, before attempting to apply the propositional calculus to any argument couched in natural language, because natural language is replete with ambiguities, that require careful detection and removal before proceeding.

Having indulged this particular tangential diversion, not least because of my fondness for Quine's rigour on the matter, I now return to the matter at hand. Namely, the application of those rules of discourse above, and the nature of assertions. Quite simply, I concentrate upon the detection of assertions, precisely because of the provisions of [1] in the above list of rules of discourse: mere assertions do not have a known truth value, regardless of whatever wishful thinking to the contrary the presenter thereof may indulge in. The purpose of rules [2] to[4] is to generate a known truth value, and only once this process is properly completed, does the assertion cease being a mere assertion, and become a truth or falsehood. This is the process applied here, hence the terms used.

Wilberforce1860 wrote:I was using assertions because that was the wording Calilasseia used. From his context, I thought he meant something more general. My apologies to him if he did not.

See above.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1086  Postby tolman » Sep 25, 2014 9:24 am

Wilberforce1860 wrote:It doesn't work at all without God, and works much better when submitted to Him, in my experience. These are assertions I will not defend in this thread.

They're assertions you cannot defend in this thread, yet they go to the very heart of creationism, which is people trying to pretend that what they want to believe is some alternative version of science, when it is in fact basically just making shit up, ignoring reality, and deliberately lying to children.

And of course, one obvious reason that you can't defend such assertions, arrived at by 'other ways of knowing' is that if you describe any such 'other way of knowing', it will be obvious to everyone including you that different people relying on such 'other ways of knowing' can and do come to wildly different conclusions, with no way for anyone to objectively declare any such conclusions reliable.

Still, I suppose intellectual cowardice and evasion are par for the course for creationists and fellow-travellers.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#1087  Postby Varangian » Sep 25, 2014 9:31 am

Just checking in to see if Wilberforce has made any progress. Hmm... I think we are in for the duration...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#1088  Postby Shrunk » Sep 25, 2014 11:16 am

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Wilberforce1860 wrote:I believe I have been straightforward about the ground I stand on, though I haven't mentioned every possible source of knowledge. It is your ground that interests me. I prefer not to prejudice your answers. To get an idea of where you go for the answers to questions that science does not provide, I listed five questions on p. 11, #207. They are:

1. How to comfort a child that is afraid of a thunderstorm?
2. How to convince a child there are no monsters under his bed, so that he/she can fall asleep?
3. How to convince a woman I am in love with to marry me?
4. How to forgive someone who has hurt me?
5. Tell me why to forgive someone who has hurt me?”

As I said to ADParker, it is curious to me that no one has yet given simple answers to these common situations. They all deal with human relationships. I am interested in people's answers, and in where they learned what they know.

#1-4 I have managed to do successfully, and all were learned thru the scientific method, in the broader sense of the term that I have used earlier.

It would be helpful if you could describe again this "more broad" scientific method.

Would you be willing to actually describe what you did in #1-4? I find providing something descriptive far more informative than a simple assertion like "I used the scientific method, broadly speaking".

Shrunk wrote:
From what you have said, you have also learned them thru the scientific method.

I wouldn't say that.

Shrunk wrote:
You just refuse to call it that because it is inconvenient for your world view to do so, just as you ignore all of the evidence inconvenient for your adherence to Young Earth Creationism.

I don't think that all ways of knowing reduce to the scientific method. I'm not sure about your "broader scientific method", but I may not agree with that as something that all ways of knowing reduce to.

Shrunk wrote:
I reject your premise that #5 is an answerable question. It is merely a question upon which one can have any of a number of opinions, any of which might strike one as more or less convincing.

My best answer for this violates the Forum User's Agreement, so I won't mention it here.

One answer I like is that not forgiving someone is like taking poison, and hoping it kills the other person.

I did not obtain either of these through the scientific method. Yet they seem reasonable and workable to me.

I'm not going to answer your questions because some of them I have already answered, and for others you do not yet have the requisite skills and knowledge to benefit from the answers. I think it would, rather, be more beneficial to focus just on that last bit. because it demonstrates how you are misusing or misunderstanding the meaning of the term "knowledge." That something may "seem reasonable and workable" does not qualify as knowledge. It once seemed "reasonable and workable" to assume that, e.g., time moves at the same rate no matter what speed an object is moving at, or that a human being and a sea sponge did not share an ancestor in common, or that the sun is pulled across the sky by a horse drawn chariot driven by a god. Thru the application of the only "way of knowing" presently at our disposal, we now know that every single one of these seemingly "reasonable and workable" claims are false.

(Oh, and if you think your "best answer" violates the FUA, then either you don't understand the FUA, or your "best answer" isn't worth shit anyway.)
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1089  Postby ADParker » Sep 25, 2014 11:32 am

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
What causes humans to be curious and have a desire to know? And are these necessary for generating thoughts? They may be. But the connection does not appear to me to be necessary, or even obvious.

Sufficiently address already I think. As deep as it is worth going for someone as unversed in the relevant sciences (neurobiology etc.) as you are.
The point of course is that if and when we get to a point where we might say "I don't know" that is not a justification for you to slap "Aha GodDidIt then!" :nono: Because we all know what these incessant questions (JAQing off it has come to be called) from theistic apologists always about; some gap in which to pretend that your favored mysterious imaginary friend is hiding. :nono:

Wilberforce1860 wrote:It doesn't work at all without God, and works much better when submitted to Him, in my experience. These are assertions I will not defend in this thread.

Then why even make that idiotically empty assertion then?! :doh: And why the fuck are you asking so many questions when you think that you already know the answer? What is it that you (seemingly with such confidence) think you know about thoughts and feelings that requires one of these god thingies for then to work? Because I think that you have next to no understanding of human consciousness/minds, but are still convinced that it requires your God, but convinced for no reason that has anything to do with an understanding of minds at all, just a vapid Faith based assumption that God has to be involved - because that's what your religion says. :roll:
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1090  Postby Shrunk » Sep 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Wilberforce1860 wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
I refer you to the neurochemists down the corridor. Because, wait for it, neurons act as data processing entities when they exchange signals. Indeed, numerous computer simulations of networks of neurons, are being pressed into service right now for a variety of data processing tasks, such as face recognition (indeed, the BBC television programme Tomorrow's World demonstrated this application working back in the 1980s), handwriting recognition (if you ever owned a Palm Pilot, this was an application of that technology), stock market prediction (Wall Street has been using this for years), and indeed were the driving force behind the development of massively parallel processors.

These are interesting applications. But these all work just fine with digital computers. No other intelligence, like generating their own thoughts, is required.

Do you realize you've just fucked up your own argument here?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1091  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 25, 2014 1:13 pm

I have to note that seeing Wilberforce's responses here, there is quite literally no reasoning with him. He's not interested in learning anything - obfuscation is where he stakes his position, and presumably it's sufficiently void to therein posit his complex deity.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1092  Postby Shrunk » Sep 25, 2014 1:19 pm

ADParker wrote:

Then why even make that idiotically empty assertion then?! :doh: And why the fuck are you asking so many questions when you think that you already know the answer?

You mean you still consider the possibility that he is actually interested in honestly asking questions? It's been obvious from the get-go that all he's interested in is preaching and, whether thru guile or simple dumb luck, he's managed to find a good way to do this while remaining within the bounds of the FUA.

For my part, I find it entertaining to mock and ridicule his attempts at preaching, so I continue to post here. Once he starts to get too boring, it's "Peace out" for me.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1093  Postby tolman » Sep 25, 2014 1:56 pm

One wonders what kind of person would think it made sense to semi-preach in a way which seemed to expose one's justifications as empty and one's question-dodging approach as essentially lacking in intellectual honesty and courage.

Somehow that would seem hard to square with the exhortation to would-be preachers of "If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God.".
Though to be fair, I think that's an exhortation something which pretty much any promoter of creationism manages to ignore whenever they engage in sophistry rather than honest discussion.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#1094  Postby Shrunk » Sep 25, 2014 1:59 pm

tolman wrote:One wonders what kind of person would think it made sense to semi-preach in a way which seemed to expose one's justifications as empty and one's question-dodging approach as essentially lacking in intellectual honesty and courage.

Somehow that would seem hard to square with the exhortation to would-be preachers of "If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God.".
Though to be fair, I think that's an exhortation something which pretty much any promoter of creationism manages to ignore whenever they engage in sophistry rather than honest discussion.

What option do they have? If you wanted to preach that the earth is shaped like a cube, what honest way is there to do that?
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1095  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Wilberforce.

Were you home-schooled?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1096  Postby DaveScriv » Sep 25, 2014 2:28 pm

Shrunk wrote:
ADParker wrote:

Then why even make that idiotically empty assertion then?! :doh: And why the fuck are you asking so many questions when you think that you already know the answer?

You mean you still consider the possibility that he is actually interested in honestly asking questions? It's been obvious from the get-go that all he's interested in is preaching and, whether thru guile or simple dumb luck, he's managed to find a good way to do this while remaining within the bounds of the FUA.

For my part, I find it entertaining to mock and ridicule his attempts at preaching, so I continue to post here. Once he starts to get too boring, it's "Peace out" for me.

I suppose we should give Wilberforce some :clap: :clap: :clap: for staying here so long and nearly preaching while staying within the bounds of the FUA. He's done a lot better than many others from his side. Although he is getting downright annoying by studiously avoiding any actual dialog on creationism. Has he broken any FUA rules by effectively derailing his own thread? :scratch:

If this is supposed to be Wilberforce's dialog on Cali's 'Creationists read this' thread, and he keeps banging on about "other ways of knowing", which is not mentioned in Cali's thread, it seems like a derail to me.

Perhaps we should adopt 'Just a Minute' rules regarding deviation, hesitation (allowing for time zones and vacations, obviously) and repetition?

(I'll try to add a link to J a M in case Wilberforce hasn't heard of it.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_a_Minute
A TV version:
Last edited by DaveScriv on Sep 25, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1097  Postby tolman » Sep 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Shrunk wrote:
tolman wrote:One wonders what kind of person would think it made sense to semi-preach in a way which seemed to expose one's justifications as empty and one's question-dodging approach as essentially lacking in intellectual honesty and courage.

What option do they have? If you wanted to preach that the earth is shaped like a cube, what honest way is there to do that?

The option is to be honest, and where they can't be honest, to STFU.
tolman

Print view this post

#1098  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
Because wait for it, that's exactly what your brain is - a massively parallel processor made up of lots of tiny units working together. Unfortunately, it's possible to feed that massively parallel processor bad or garbage data and compromise its working, which is all too often what supernaturalism does.

Wilbur wrote:
It doesn't work at all without God, and works much better when submitted to Him, in my experience. These are assertions I will not defend in this thread.

What a chickenshit response! You make an assertion then refuse to defend it in this thread when it is obvious that your assertion is what this thread is all about.

God did it is your answer to everything, but you're afraid to do anything other than just assert it as being your experience.

All this round about discussion of thoughts and ways of knowing ect... is simply annoying and not getting you anywhere. If you want to argue against certain aspects of evolution then why don't you get to it?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#1099  Postby tolman » Sep 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Maybe he doesn't want to do any more than advertise 'other ways of knowing' in the hope there are people who see shifty and cowardly incompetence as something to aspire to?
tolman

Print view this post

#1100  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
Because wait for it, that's exactly what your brain is - a massively parallel processor made up of lots of tiny units working together. Unfortunately, it's possible to feed that massively parallel processor bad or garbage data and compromise its working, which is all too often what supernaturalism does.

Wilbur wrote:
It doesn't work at all without God, and works much better when submitted to Him, in my experience. These are assertions I will not defend in this thread.

What a chickenshit response! You make an assertion then refuse to defend it in this thread when it is obvious that your assertion is what this thread is all about.

God did it is your answer to everything, but you're afraid to do anything other than just assert it as being your experience.

All this round about discussion of thoughts and ways of knowing ect... is simply annoying and not getting you anywhere. If you want to argue against certain aspects of evolution then why don't you get to it?

What is happening here, is that he's hoping to put in place a convoluted train of assertions, have those assertions treated as fact, and then use this as a means of conjuring his magic man into existence via the usual apologetic spells. The stonewalling you're seeing is because we've seen this approach time and time again, and we're not falling for it.

indeed, that's something I keep reminding people of at apposite moments such as this - the fact that supernaturalists resort to apologetics precisely because they have no evidence to support their assertions. If supernaturalists had evidence of the sort that physicists routinely present from relevant empirical work, do you think supernaturalists would bother with apologetics? No they wouldn't! They'd drop apologetics like a shot, present the evidence, and upon having that evidence accepted, pick up the Nobel Prizes that would result! Quite simply, if they had real evidence for their assertions, that evidence would have been presented, and the debate would be over.

It's precisely because supernaturalists don't have anything of this sort to present, that they have to try and sell their unsupported assertions with yet more assertions. That's what apologetics consists of at bottom - the attempt to pretend to have evidence for blind assertions and presuppositions, by erecting yet more blind assertions. It's a worthless circle jerk, an attempt to turn made up shit into fact by heaping more made up shit on top of the original made up shit, in the hope that the made up shit will somehow magically achieve some sort of critical mass, and conjure their magic man into existence from the resulting fission reaction. Instead, of course, the made up shit attains a different sort of critical mass, and disappears into a rectum-shaped black hole of absurdity.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism