Kent Hovind's PhD Thesis

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Kent Hovind's PhD Thesis

#21  Postby dionysus » Jun 03, 2010 2:14 pm

Now come on, you guys aren't being fair. I'm sure Kent Hovind worked really hard on that and did the best he could do. I mean sure, it sounds like a first grader reviewing a Dr. Suess book and sure, it seems like the whole thing should have been written in crayon, and sure, it shows the reasoning ability of a particularly retarded sea sponge, and sure, it was only 1/4 complete, but look at it this way: given that this is Kent Hovind we're talking about it's a miracle that he didn't just eat the paper and take a dump on the teacher's desk; well, maybe metaphorically, but at least not literally.
dionysus

Name: Lukasz
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby twistor59 » Jun 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Darkchilde wrote:I think that we should not name it a dissertation, because in that way we are disparaging, belittling, call it what you will, students who write real dissertations, those students who stay up late finding material, studying, taking notes, making experiments or similar activities, and who really write dissertations. If we call that thing a dissertation we are offending all those who have written real dissertations.

I am offended by that thing called a dissertation or Phd. Thesis or whatever; because it is not. I am offended because in order just to write up my program and do my MSc. dissertation took me about 6-8 months, and I even had to read a few books on linguistics, as my program was a tool for language analysis. And think that doing/writing MSc. dissertations are not as difficult as for a Phd. [Still I had a number of late nights on the computer labs at the time]

That Kent Hovind thing is not a thesis or anything similar. It is just stupidity of the highest order. No self-respecting university would accept that abomination and give Hovind a PhD. But we all know that his PhD. is from a non-accepted non-accredited university, don't we?

PS. I moved it to creationism.

Your're right of course. It presumably falls into the same category as the PhD from Gillian McKeith.

(For those of you not from the UK she's a TV nutritionist who also allegedly has a dodgy PhD)
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Fallible » Jun 03, 2010 2:25 pm

Well, someone's mentioned Gillian McKeith, so I can wave a good night's sleep goodbye tonight. Scary poo-obsessed shouty freak.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby mindyourmind » Jun 03, 2010 2:34 pm

dionysus wrote:

well, maybe metaphorically, but at least not literally.

You are assuming facts not in evidence :mrgreen:
So the reason why God created the universe, including millions of years of human and animal suffering, and the extinction of entire species, is so that some humans who have passed his test can be with him forever. I see.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#25  Postby campermon » Jun 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Fallible wrote:Well, someone's mentioned Gillian McKeith, so I can wave a good night's sleep goodbye tonight. Scary poo-obsessed shouty freak.

Is that dreadful woman still hawking her mumbo jumbo!

:crazy:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Most likely. She went kind of quiet after the 'Dr' got taken away from her though. Oh how I laughed...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Shrunk » Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:Ah, Liberty University, rebranded from "The Close Cover Before Striking Institute of Science and Technology".

For the sake of accuracy, he didn't get his "degree" from Liberty. It's from Patriot Bible University. One glance at its website is enought to tell you that it's even less reputable than Liberty.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#28  Postby mindyourmind » Jun 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Ah, Liberty University, rebranded from "The Close Cover Before Striking Institute of Science and Technology".

For the sake of accuracy, he didn't get his "degree" from Liberty. It's from Patriot Bible University. One glance at its website is enought to tell you that it's even less reputable than Liberty.

Well, someone should whisper in their ear that "Phd" is not Latin for "whatever you can pull out yer arse".
So the reason why God created the universe, including millions of years of human and animal suffering, and the extinction of entire species, is so that some humans who have passed his test can be with him forever. I see.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Shrunk » Jun 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Oh, oh, oh! I just found this page on Patriot's website defending its affiliation with Hovind and responding to critics who say its not a real university. On that page they reprint this spoof photo by one of their critics:

then respond by showing the real, actual Patriot University:

Believe me, you couldn't make it up.

http://www.patriotuniversity.com/PriceOfTruth.htm
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby argumentativealex » Jun 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Well, someone should whisper in their ear that "Phd" is not Latin for "whatever you can pull out yer arse".

:shock: So it's not short for "Per Hinie Detractus", then?
idofcourse - "That God created the universe is so obvious the Bible doesn’t even bother with a proof."
answersingenesis "This article is available in an attractive booklet to share with anyone who is not willing to read a book"
argumentativealex

Print view this post

#31  Postby Nautilidae » Jun 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Shrunk wrote:Oh, oh, oh! I just found this page on Patriot's website defending its affiliation with Hovind and responding to critics who say its not a real university. On that page they reprint this spoof photo by one of their critics:

I guess they showed them!
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby twistor59 » Jun 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Shrunk wrote:Oh, oh, oh! I just found this page on Patriot's website defending its affiliation with Hovind and responding to critics who say its not a real university. On that page they reprint this spoof photo by one of their critics:

Them telegraph poles look like things you could hang a would-be messiah on..
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby mindyourmind » Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm

If I was them I would go with the spoof campus.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#34  Postby mindyourmind » Jun 03, 2010 2:51 pm

argumentativealex wrote:

:shock: So it's not short for "Per Hinie Detractus", then?

:mrgreen: :clap: :lol: :thumbup:

Posterior Hilarious Detritus?
Last edited by mindyourmind on Jun 03, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#35  Postby argumentativealex » Jun 03, 2010 2:51 pm

...or Joe's Eat-n-Run Diner, as it is better known...
idofcourse - "That God created the universe is so obvious the Bible doesn’t even bother with a proof."
answersingenesis "This article is available in an attractive booklet to share with anyone who is not willing to read a book"
argumentativealex

Print view this post

#36  Postby IBP » Jun 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Fallible wrote:Well, someone's mentioned Gillian McKeith, so I can wave a good night's sleep goodbye tonight. Scary poo-obsessed shouty freak.

I call Godwin's law. Bloody nutrition Nazi. This debate is automatically closed.
So rational yet so fucking irrational (Paula1)
Christian, bias declared.
IBP

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby mindyourmind » Jun 03, 2010 2:56 pm

argumentativealex wrote:

...or Joe's Eat-n-Run Diner, as it is better known...

"I got me $42. What kind of PHD thingie can I buy with that then, darlin?"

"ooh, Sir, for $100 you can buy our very popular "Mickey Mouse was actually real" PHD thingie, or for $120 our top of the range "My granma was an alien, no really" PHD thingie. For $42 we can only give you a theology PHD thingie."

"Aw shoot, that's all I have, so I'll take the theology PHD thingie."

"Aww, Sir."
mindyourmind

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#38  Postby chairman bill » Jun 03, 2010 3:06 pm

twistor59 wrote:... (For those of you not from the UK she's a TV nutritionist who also allegedly has a dodgy PhD)

I'm sorry, but I can't let that pass without comment. An appalling statement that misrepresents the truth of the matter. You should be ashamed of yourself. There is no 'allegedly' about it; she has a worthless faux 'PhD' from some fourth-rate* excuse for an academic institution in the US. It is unaccredited, and in the UK, & probably the rest of Europe too, would be committing an offence by awarding a fake degree. She's a charlatan, who has asserted that eating dark green leafy vegetables will increase the oxygenation of your blood, because dark green leafy veg has chlorophyll, which produces oxygen. FFS, she might think the sun shines out of her arse, but unless it shines into it, there's no way photosynthesis is going to take place ... dozy wench. And don't even mention the mixing of O2 with the CH4 in the gut ...

* note - understatement
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby chairman bill » Jun 03, 2010 3:07 pm

BTW, Hovind's essay isn't fit as a first year undergrad piece of work, let alone for a higher degree. What a wanker that man is.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jun 03, 2010 3:07 pm

I noticed this website also defends his paper saying "it was just a rough draft! . . . now give your life to Jesus . . . "
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism