Kent Hovind's PhD Thesis

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Kent Hovind's PhD Thesis

#61  Postby NineOneFour » Jun 08, 2010 11:54 am

Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#63  Postby srcguy » Jun 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Paul G wrote:So he has a shit degree? At least he wasn't caught doing meth and blowing other men.

He's in prison at the minute so I wouldn't bet the house on that one. :naughty2:
srcguy

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 13, 2010 7:33 pm

srcguy wrote:
Paul G wrote:So he has a shit degree? At least he wasn't caught doing meth and blowing other men.

He's in prison at the minute so I wouldn't bet the house on that one. :naughty2:

Well, his prison sentence was handed out for tax evasion and defrauding his employees by pocketing their tax contributions to finance his large mansion. The sentence he was handed reflects not only his offences, but the arrogance he displayed in the witness stand, where his position consisted effectively of "ok, let me continue milking the rubes and I'll give you a cut". That and his tiresome, masturbatorily obsessive ranting against evolution whenever he thought he could get away with it before the cross examining counsel chopped him off at the knees. It became obvious to the judge that he felt absolutely no remorse for what he had done, and that his sole preoccupation, once the light of reality dawned for once before his ideological blinkers, consisted of saving his worthless neck from the just retribution he was about to receive.

Mind you, it's entirely possible that now he's been in prison for some time, he's learned more about the activities subject to prohibition in Leviticus than he ever wished to.

An additional observation concerns the truly warped blog he's been keeping whilst in prison (though I suspect that once again, the pernicious and venomous religiosity that pervades the USA is a factor with respect to this - can you imagine an atheist being allowed to maintain a blog whilst in prison?). Quite a few independent observers have read his assorted wibblings on that tedious blog, and have come to the conclusion that he's gone stir crazy. Not that he wasn't a weapons-grade moon pie beforehand, but the general consensus amongst numerous observers is that his condition has become even more florid. What was once a baroque aetiology of delusion has now become positively rococo.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Nautilidae » Jun 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
srcguy wrote:

Well, his prison sentence was handed out for tax evasion and defrauding his employees by pocketing their tax contributions to finance his large mansion. The sentence he was handed reflects not only his offences, but the arrogance he displayed in the witness stand, where his position consisted effectively of "ok, let me continue milking the rubes and I'll give you a cut". That and his tiresome, masturbatorily obsessive ranting against evolution whenever he thought he could get away with it before the cross examining counsel chopped him off at the knees. It became obvious to the judge that he felt absolutely no remorse for what he had done, and that his sole preoccupation, once the light of reality dawned for once before his ideological blinkers, consisted of saving his worthless neck from the just retribution he was about to receive.

Mind you, it's entirely possible that now he's been in prison for some time, he's learned more about the activities subject to prohibition in Leviticus than he ever wished to.

An additional observation concerns the truly warped blog he's been keeping whilst in prison (though I suspect that once again, the pernicious and venomous religiosity that pervades the USA is a factor with respect to this - can you imagine an atheist being allowed to maintain a blog whilst in prison?). Quite a few independent observers have read his assorted wibblings on that tedious blog, and have come to the conclusion that he's gone stir crazy. Not that he wasn't a weapons-grade moon pie beforehand, but the general consensus amongst numerous observers is that his condition has become even more florid. What was once a baroque aetiology of delusion has now become positively rococo.

Would you mind posting a link to said blog?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 13, 2010 8:57 pm

So that his blog doesn't receive any referrals, I'll post it in code tags:

Code: Select all
http://www.cseblogs.com/

EDIT: the "stir crazy" posts are usually headed "Knee-Mail" ... :roll:
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby murshid » Jun 13, 2010 9:13 pm

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

#68  Postby Bud's Brain » Jun 18, 2010 3:23 pm

I didn't want to read the first one either! I don't have a Phd, but is it normal for a LARGE portion of each page to be a quote from a source? I mean, surely you present the premise, describe methods etc etc, and then get on with actually explaining why you did what you did?

Would it be gross plagiarism if I pasted some of it with responses? We could really have some fun with that.

BB
So many Christians, so few lions.
Bud's Brain

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Bud's Brain wrote:I didn't want to read the first one either! I don't have a Phd, but is it normal for a LARGE portion of each page to be a quote from a source? I mean, surely you present the premise, describe methods etc etc, and then get on with actually explaining why you did what you did?

Would it be gross plagiarism if I pasted some of it with responses? We could really have some fun with that.

BB

I thought that the whole point of a Ph.D was to conduct original research. Given that theology is nothing more than the fine art of making shit up to provide the illusion of support for mythological blind assertions, I would have thought it was a piece of piss to say something original and have it rubber-stamped as a theology Ph.D - not like science, where you have to conduct experiments, convince your supervisor that you've been methodologically rigorous all the way through, have to exercise due care and attention with respect to the conclusions you draw from your experiments, and then persuade a panel of people who have been through this before that you've not only put in the effort, but established the validity of your conclusions to the satisfaction of a particularly ruthless bunch of peer reviewers. By comparison, anything to do with religion looks piss easy - make up some shit, persuade enough gullible twonks that your made up shit is at least as good or better than the made up shit that's gone before, and hey presto, you get to call yourself "Dr".
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Ubjon » Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm

This is a PhD thesis? It reads like a "What I did this week end" written by a four year old.
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby murshid » Jun 18, 2010 10:14 pm

I forgot to mention earlier that that page contains a review of Kent Hovind's thesis by Karen Bartelt, Ph.D. It's a fun read.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

#72  Postby Dr.Howard53 » Jul 09, 2010 11:42 pm

DaveScriv wrote:I guess plenty of creationists have read Hovind's 'Thesis', and surely some of them have at least read (if not written) proper theses at undergrad, masters & Phd level, and published science, history and other subject papers. So they know the quality of research and formal literary style which is 'par for the course' at real universities. So why arn't they denouncing Hovind? They must surely realise he's giving their side a bad name, as if him being in jail wasn't enough to discredit him. :scratch:

They're probably alumni of Patriot University's sister school: http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1790978
Dr.Howard53

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Latimeria » Jul 10, 2010 1:32 am

Welcome Dr. Howard! Nice link
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Alan C » Jul 10, 2010 4:00 am

Indeed.
:thumbup:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism