Mechanical Gears Discovered on Planthopper Insects

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Mechanical Gears Discovered on Planthopper Insects

#21  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Coroama wrote:
How do we know these gears evolved, as opposed to having been designed? Because we know that everything in biology evolved. And how do we know that everything evolved?

We can see it in the DNA.

/thread

Creator just made it look that way in the DNA to test your faith.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby maichem » Dec 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Coroama,

You won't often get serious answers when your question shows such a low level of understanding of...well...anything. I fear you might leave this thread with an air of superiority because no serious response is given, but only ridicule. This is not to be taken as an admission that the question is clever, but rather that the ramblings are not worth the effort, in the same way that you don't try to explain quantum physics to the elementary.

For the sake of your own dignity, please stop making a fool of yourself, and your god for that matter (as it probably matters to you).
maichem

Name: Mike
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby chairman bill » Dec 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Did God design fuckwittery?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Blackadder » Dec 21, 2013 11:42 pm

By Christ's Gonads, there are some seriously dumb fucktards around these days.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Macros1980 » Dec 21, 2013 11:45 pm

I'm just surprised it's taken so long for a creationist to post this here. This news is months old. There must be a backlog in the propaganda factory.
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Wrong forum - should be in biology :snooty:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#27  Postby Macros1980 » Dec 21, 2013 11:50 pm

To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Shagz » Dec 22, 2013 1:07 am

So something was found in nature that resembles a human-designed device. Therefore, it absolutely must have been designed.

If anyone suggests that it's possible that, somewhere in the astounding variation that natural selection produces, there might be some part that happens to evolve to resemble a human-designed device... don't listen to them, they're just buying into the atheist scientist propaganda.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby igorfrankensteen » Dec 22, 2013 2:39 am

Another aspect of this to ponder, is that people claiming to believe in a deity, decided that one was involved...because it resorted to using ancient and very rudimentary HUMAN looking methods to accomplish a task.

Proof of God, because God acts like a man? Sounds sacrilegious to me.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby scott1328 » Dec 22, 2013 2:54 am

Shagz wrote:So something was found in nature that resembles a human-designed device. Therefore, it absolutely must have been designed.

If anyone suggests that it's possible that, somewhere in the astounding variation that natural selection produces, there might be some part that happens to evolve to resemble a human-designed device... don't listen to them, they're just buying into the atheist scientist propaganda.

What's more, there are numerous phenomena found in nature that resemble nothing like human design. These phenomena of course are also attributed to Intelligent design due to their apparent subtlety and cleverness.

So it comes down to this
1) If a characteristic is found in nature that resembles human design, then it is due to an Intelligent designer.
2) If a characteristic is found in nature that does not resemble human design, the it s due to an intelligent designer.

There is no observation that can be made EVEN IN PRINCIPLE that falsifies the Design Hypothesis. Such an ingenious scam could only be dreamt of by an Intelligent Designer. (and it wasn't God)
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Shagz » Dec 22, 2013 3:19 am

But think about the odds, man. I just can't comprehend how a bunch of inorganic matter evolves into gears; the odds of it happening must be astronomical! Surely it must take MILLIONS of years until something that unlikely would ever happen; maybe even BILLIONS. Therefore, the only rational explanation is God.

Really, I think you just can't admit that because, deep down, you are angry with God. Why are you so angry with God, scott1328?
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Coroama » Dec 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Bribase wrote:I don't think there is any problem with coming up with such a structure through evolutionary mechanisms. Gears are simply a way to maximise friction between two surfaces, there was a selection pressure to syncronise the movement of the legs to control the jump. Rough (high friction) surfaces are selected for, rough surfaces become bumps, bumps become teeth, teeth become sawtooth patterns, sawteeth become gears, all by a process of natural selection.

It's the most parimonious explanation, at least in my opinion Coroama. If you care to provide an alternative mechanism by which such a structure can arise in the natural world please enlighten us.

Synchronise, control,maximise friction...... :lol: :lol:

its hard not to borrow words that are result of design and intelligence, isn't it ??

Thats what happens when a lie is told thousand times. People start to believe it without the hability to think and recognize the nonsense they have been teached......
Coroama
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: james coroama

Print view this post

#33  Postby Coroama » Dec 28, 2013 1:10 pm

igorfrankensteen wrote:Another aspect of this to ponder, is that people claiming to believe in a deity, decided that one was involved...because it resorted to using ancient and very rudimentary HUMAN looking methods to accomplish a task.

No, its because the solutions applied in nature are almost infinitely more elaborated , complex and intelligent, that makes us deduce God rationally as a powerful, super intelligent being, that has full control over matter, and knows how to implant super advanced nano technology, fantastic information storage systems, nano roboters, nano power plants, nano highways, amazing motor proteins, that " walk " like humans, and bring the proteins marching on microtubules to pre established sites in the cell :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOeJwQ0OXc4

Even two thousand years ago, when people had no idea and knowledge about microbiology, the apostle Paul said, the unbelievers were guillable of ignoring creation that was evidencing Gods amazing creation power. How much more are unbelievers today guillable for not believing in a powerful and superintelligent Creator, which made all things ? They will have no excuse , when God will judge them for not believing him.
Coroama
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: james coroama

Print view this post

#34  Postby Regina » Dec 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Coroama wrote:
igorfrankensteen wrote:Another aspect of this to ponder, is that people claiming to believe in a deity, decided that one was involved...because it resorted to using ancient and very rudimentary HUMAN looking methods to accomplish a task.

No, its because the solutions applied in nature are almost infinitely more elaborated , complex and intelligent, that makes us deduce God rationally as a powerful, super intelligent being, that has full control over matter, and knows how to implant super advanced nano technology, fantastic information storage systems, nano roboters, nano power plants, nano highways, amazing motor proteins, that " walk " like humans, and bring the proteins marching on microtubules to pre established sites in the cell :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOeJwQ0OXc4

Even two thousand years ago, when people had no idea and knowledge about microbiology, the apostle Paul said, the unbelievers were guillable of ignoring creation that was evidencing Gods amazing creation power. How much more are unbelievers today guillable for not believing in a powerful and superintelligent Creator, which made all things ? They will have no excuse , when God will judge them for not believing him.

You really should talk to a medical professional one of these days. Like I said elsewhere, your nerd-god came up with some seriously shitty designs.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Thommo » Dec 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Coroama wrote:Synchronise, control,maximise friction...... :lol: :lol:

its hard not to borrow words that are result of design and intelligence, isn't it ??

I know what you mean, when I see water flow downhill and thus minimise its height I can't help but think "fuck me that puddle is clever!".
Thommo

Print view this post

#36  Postby theropod » Dec 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Coroama wrote:"They will have no excuse , when God will judge them for not believing him."

Reported for preaching.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby igorfrankensteen » Dec 28, 2013 1:47 pm

But think about the odds, man. I just can't comprehend how a bunch of inorganic matter evolves into gears; the odds of it happening must be astronomical! Surely it must take MILLIONS of years until something that unlikely would ever happen; maybe even BILLIONS. Therefore, the only rational explanation is God.
-shagz

I assume that is tongue in cheek, but to answer it anyway...we've seen elsewhere that hairs can evolve into things like antlers. No reason why the chance occurrence of hairy legs, couldn't have evolved into stubble that resembled gears.

Isn't there a bug somewhere that has something like a power drill built into it's head or it's butt? I thought I saw that a while back. Maybe I just fell asleep Friday night and conflated a science show with Saturday morning cartoons.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby LucidFlight » Dec 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Well, there's the wood-boring wasp:

Wood Boring Wasps Inspire New Neurosurg[ery] Probe

British scientists are mimicking the function of wood-boring wasps to create a specialized probe for performing brain surgeries. The wasps use ovipositors, or specialized shafts that move counter to each other, to drill into trees while causing little damage to the tissue of the plant.

[Full article.]
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Thommo » Dec 28, 2013 1:57 pm

That's just ridiculous, why would wasps care if wood was bored or interested? :scratch:
Thommo

Print view this post

#40  Postby Bribase » Dec 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Coroama wrote:
Bribase wrote:I don't think there is any problem with coming up with such a structure through evolutionary mechanisms. Gears are simply a way to maximise friction between two surfaces, there was a selection pressure to syncronise the movement of the legs to control the jump. Rough (high friction) surfaces are selected for, rough surfaces become bumps, bumps become teeth, teeth become sawtooth patterns, sawteeth become gears, all by a process of natural selection.

It's the most parimonious explanation, at least in my opinion Coroama. If you care to provide an alternative mechanism by which such a structure can arise in the natural world please enlighten us.

Synchronise, control,maximise friction...... :lol: :lol:

Thats what happens when a lie is told thousand times. People start to believe it without the hability to think and recognize the nonsense they have been teached......

And read in the context of what I wrote, you would understand that I'm talking from a standpoint of evolution. Do you understand what a selection pressure is, Coroama? Do we need to walk you through the basic concepts of evolutionary biology?

I regards to that post, now that you have time to reply to it, could you provide us with an alternative mechanism by which this structure could arise in the natural world? Other than the one I briefly outlined?
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism