"New eye discovery further demolishes Dawkins"

"Backwardly wired retina an optimal structure"

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "New eye discovery further demolishes Dawkins"

#901  Postby tolman » Nov 04, 2014 11:58 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:Ideology is about being on some side of a group argument, and that brings with it a bag full of supporting beliefs. I’ve got an interest in the beliefs about evolution that go with being on the side of atheism.

And you have consistently failed to convince anyone that you had a meaningful list of such 'beliefs'.

'Meaningful' meaning:

You can't count things which are simple restatements of a lack of belief (like people failing to actively make a space in a scientific theory which needs a a god to fill).
You can't count things which sane and competently educated believers have no obvious problems in believing
You can't count things which are the most plausible explanation of the current state of knowledge.
You can't easily count things where all manner of competing opinions would also be quite compatible with the nonexistence of gods.

You seem, if anything, to go out of your way to avoid properly presenting your list of beliefs and rationally arguing for its acceptance.

Taking your 'progress' argument, if all biologists started to use the word tomorrow despite its potential for misleading people, that would be no less compatible with 'atheism' than most biologists tending not to use it.
Indeed, one could put a perfectly good case that creationists are typically against the idea that there is meaningful progress - many of them either argue that nothing has really changed, or that everything is in some state of post-creation decay.

What religious argument is supposed to be being countered by biologists generally not using the word 'progress', while being entirely open about what used to be and what is now?
What conceivable atheistic reasons would scheming atheists have for plotting to make that word less commonly used?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#902  Postby _2501_ » Nov 05, 2014 5:08 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
It’s often said that atheism created Christian fundamentalism, specifically in the USA.

Ah, so its the big bad atheists fault for (rightfully) challenging all of religion's various unsupported assertions and claims, and that most of the Christian "intellectuals" (or for that matter, any religious leader) are too obtuse to, you know, admit they were wrong and change their beliefs, and therefore have the need to radicalize their beliefs in a desperate attempt to save face?

I think I understand everything now. We mustn't question your precious dogma and sacred supernatural beliefs, lest we may inadvertently cause you to become stupid.
_2501_

United States (us)
Print view this post

#903  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 05, 2014 5:59 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
It’s often said that atheism created Christian fundamentalism, specifically in the USA.

By whom?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#904  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 05, 2014 7:46 am

Onyx8 wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

By whom?

By JJ. And by 'often' he means 'never', but instead he will fulfill this prophecy by continuously harping on about this ad nauseum from now on.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#905  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 05, 2014 7:47 am

AjayHarris wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

Ah, so its the big bad atheists fault for (rightfully) challenging all of religion's various unsupported assertions and claims, and that most of the Christian "intellectuals" (or for that matter, any religious leader) are too obtuse to, you know, admit they were wrong and change their beliefs, and therefore have the need to radicalize their beliefs in a desperate attempt to save face?

I think I understand everything now. We mustn't question your precious dogma and sacred supernatural beliefs, lest we may inadvertently cause you to become stupid.

JJ cannot resist rewriting history to conform to his absurd bollocks. He's done so repeatedly and it's one of the many reasons justifying characterizing his posts as routinely mendacious.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#906  Postby Jayjay4547 » Nov 05, 2014 9:23 am

Jie wrote:

I happen to be an artist. What you're saying is basically that when I'm in my home, the house itself has the know-how to make a painting.

In my next sentence below, I said something different than what you claim I’m “basically saying”, when I named the artist as Gaia. But to follow your line of questioning as well as I can; we can see the house but we can’t see the artist. In a way that’s also true in your analogy. I’m not an artist, you are. But what can one physically point to that makes me not an artist and you one? I could even falsely claim to be an artist. But put us each in a room with some paint and after a while an observer will see art on the walls of your room and no art on my walls.

Jie wrote:

"Gaia" is a handle I could use for "who" is knowledgeable, also "God". Something bigger than us. But as soon as one does that, it draws the argument into bickering about the exact nature of what is bigger than us, or flat denial of the possibility. Basically as I see it, humans are observably made up of a hierarchy of organs and smaller bits, but we are also carried along in an unpredictable creative system, which can lead to the intuition that we aren't at the top of the natural hierarchy. Why should we be?

This assumes the existence of such a natural hierarchy. Can you give a demonstration of it?

The observable hierarchy runs from the lowest upwards, as atoms, molecules, body organs, the animal, community, nation, biome, biosphere.

Jayjay4547 wrote: Seems to me that when a population experiences a different climate the circumstances expose a previously hidden potential for surviving creatively in the new context.

Jie wrote: Only if there's already something in the gene pool that can enable the population to survive the change. Extinction is just as likely, if not more so.

Jayjay4547 wrote: I’m claiming, it’s not something in the gene pool so much as something in the logic of the situation, of which the physiology of the species of interest is part; to use an analogy, that population is the key that fits the lock that’s called a ”niche”. So species in a biomes are like a bunch of keys and when change sweeps over a biome sometimes one of the keys turns out to fit. To stretch the analogy, the lock opens a door to a whole new set of doors.

Jie wrote: No, it's definitely something in the gene pool. The physiology of the species of interest comes from the gene pool. :doh:

I’d agree that the gene pool provides mobility in the direction of increasing fitness through variation within the pool. But it’s in the live animal that fitness is tested. For example, a primate weighing 40 kg might be able to survive the attack of a hunting dog by hitting it with a rock but a 10kg monkey wouldn’t. That’s the arena where the logic of the context is expressed.

Jie wrote: I have read the[Jayjay’s] claims. They seem to boil down to the silly idea that the fact that Australopithecus lacked large canines is sufficient evidence in and of itself to conclude that they used clubs and other weapons to crack the skulls of large felines, even if no such tools have been found where they lived. You've made the claim, but failed to support it.

Well teeth are pretty important, they are one of the prime sites where the body meets the world. If you found yourself in a cage with a chimp then suddenly its canines would seem important. That’s why you probably won’t meet an adult chimp except if there are bars between you and it and that’s also why some primatologists are missing fingers. That’s according to Jane Goodall’s advice on not keeping cute baby chimps that grow into inconvenient adults.

To see the significance of canines you need to place the hominins in their food chain context where they were habitually preyed on by predators who had alternative prey-which were themselves highly adept at not being eaten. The hominins ability to feed themselves depended also on their ability to go to places with food, in such numbers and such foraging array, at such times of day and season as suited them, while conforming to the will of their predators as little as possible. To be able to eat as much as possible while being eaten as little as possible. That was the great adaptive driver.

Looking at the hominins in evolutionary time, we see later small-brained small-canine australopiths associated with the Oldowan “pebble” culture., that’s recognized from chipped pebbles. A river stone must be about the least promising stone to chip; it has rolled a hundred miles down a river bed, being banged against other stones all the way- and getting rounded not chipped. Seeing that we couldn’t easily recognize an unchipped river stone as a tool, we can infer that the Oldowan hominins inherited a habit of selecting oval stones from river beds. After a million years of that an early technologist discovered that there were some native rocks that could take a better edge; material culture started being elaborated.

That isn’t “silly” as you claim, it isn’t an original idea of mine either, it’s Dart’s osteodontokeratic culture” notion from the 1950s, the notion that small brained terrestrial bipedal ancestors used sticks stones and bones as weapons to make their way in the world. A weird thing about that notion was that Dart and his followers (most famously the playwright Robert Ardrey) immediately focused on the offensive use of weapons, as opposed to a means of optimizing the hominin’s access to foraging area in the face of predation pressure. In other words, Dart didn’t see the biome as the creator; as the matrix that formed the species by the creative logic it constituted.

Dart’s “hunting hypothesis” was shot down in the 1970s on the grounds that the baboon skulls Dart had taken as evidence of hominin kills weren’t, and that the wear on hominin teeth suggested a plant diet. His vision of our distant ancestors as predators seems to be seeping back now, but what is still missing is the vision of our ancestors as embedded in a context that molded their bodies. For example in their review of the hominin –predator relations, Treves and Palmqvist here argue that the hominins hid from predaors, fled from them, avoided areas where there were predators, retreated to fastnesses at night and warned each other of predators, and “might well” have “counterattacked" predators using weapons. Nothing at all about the different logic of what is adaptive when counterattacking using hand weapons, as opposed to counterattacking using teeth which is what other primates have to use when they counterattack.

Jie wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote: My argument is that “progress” is a word used to describe the experience of being embedded in a creative system. Creative means, more out of less.

That's an incorrect definition of creative. Makes me wonder how you're defining progress.

You need to show where my understanding of creativity as more out of less is wrong. Maybe by offering what you regard as the correct definition. That way our discussion might progress.

Jie wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote: And I’m claiming that “progress” in particular has been banned from use in evolution for polemical reasons.

That's something else you need to back up.

Well as I’ve been discussing at length with Cali, the reason given for denying the use of the word “progress” is that there is no end state in evolution. I counter that by arguing that we apply the word progress to technological evolution although we also don’t know where it is headed.
Jayjay4547 wrote: I don’t know about large gene pools and biodiversity, maybe so. Strong creativity is called genius and I’m saying, that’s a property of biomes, some more than others.

Jie wrote: Indeed, so you're saying. But can you back it up with some evidence?

Jayjay4547 wrote: For example, the elephant’s trunk, the bat’s sonar, the human’s speech

Jie wrote: LOL

That expression is not a communication, it has no content, indeed it advertises non-communication of content. If you communicate some content I will try to respond.

Jayjay4547 wrote: It’s not a metaphor, I’m saying that creativity at the level of genius are actual properties of biomes.

Jie wrote: See, this is the kind of thing I was calling absurd before. You're implying not only that biomes are somehow aware of what's going on in them, down to the molecular level (mutations and such), but also that they're active participants that can consciously guide the changes. That's what creativity means.

Jayjay4547 wrote: I didn’t mean to imply all that, I’m trying to avoid personifying biomes by just pointing to what they do as something with particular properties of progress and creation.

Jie wrote: Trying to avoid? I could've sworn that's what you were trying to achieve, not avoid.

That’s good. To explain my aim, I’ve been deeply impressed by the narrowness of the critera that would have made it adaptive for a prey species to have abandoned biting for weapon wielding, and by the deeply creative implications of that for future adaptations, and by its irrelevance to what we regard as our human essence. For example, you call yourself an “artist” but there’s no obvious connection between being an artist and being descended from a primate that abandoned defensive biting. I’ve also been impressed by the excellent ability of African mammals, which were the peers of our ancestors . These impressions have made me think of human evolution as a narrow creative thread controlled by logic .

Maybe I can use the analogy of the fitness landscape. Dawkins sees populations “climbing Mount Improbable”, in a domain ruled by chance but it looks to me, it’s a domain ruled by logic and describable by fascinating story. What we can observe is the story and the logic; a bit like the stories historians build. I’m really not anxious to insist on personifying the process, or declaring that there must be a “consciousness” driving creativity or denying that. I think we can only see God’s hands in evolution, which is to be expected from being embedded in a hierarchy.

Sorry about the post bloat
Cheers

Edit:Goodal to Goodall sorry
Last edited by Jayjay4547 on Nov 05, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayjay4547

Name: Jonathan
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#907  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 05, 2014 9:48 am

So much drivel, so little content.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#908  Postby Jayjay4547 » Nov 05, 2014 11:30 am

Onyx8 wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

By whom?

Francis Collins The language of God, p175 “In fact, this narrow interpretation [young earth creationism] is largely a creation of the last hundred years, arising in large consequence as a reaction to Darwinian evolution”

Karen Armstrong THE Bible p210 ” When fundamentalist movements are attacked they usually become more extreme. Before Dayton, the conservatives were wary of evolution, but very few had espoused ‘creation science’, which maintained that the first chapter of Genesis was factually true in every detail. After Scopes, however, they became more vehemently literal in their interpretation of scripture, and creation science became the flagship of their movement.”
Jayjay4547

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#909  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Nov 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Evolution is not atheism, so what you just cited does not support your point at all.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#910  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 05, 2014 12:54 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Evolution is not atheism, so what you just cited does not support your point at all.

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#911  Postby tolman » Nov 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Jayjay4547 wrote:Karen Armstrong THE Bible p210 ” When fundamentalist movements are attacked they usually become more extreme. Before Dayton, the conservatives were wary of evolution, but very few had espoused ‘creation science’, which maintained that the first chapter of Genesis was factually true in every detail. After Scopes, however, they became more vehemently literal in their interpretation of scripture, and creation science became the flagship of their movement.”

Before Dayton, conservatives were not merely 'wary' of evolution. They had in various places ensured that teaching it was verboten.

They may in their everyday lives have done their best to ignore the issue and hope it went away, but such a hope was always going to be a vain one.
The problem once they couldn't simply ban the proper teaching of biology was that they didn't and still don't have any arguments which are likely to convince an unbiased and sane observer that evolution doesn't or can't happen.

The major way they were 'attacked' was by people failing to give their views special treatment, and for people daring to suggest that science education should be a matter for the qualified and sane, rather than the miseducated, deluded, and/or politically opportunist.

Even now, if they just STFU in public and concentrated solely on miseducating their own children and not trying to extend their ignorant and dishonest teachings to other people's or demanding that the state pandered to their personal delusions, they'd likely essentially get left alone.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#912  Postby ElDiablo » Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

By whom?

Francis Collins The language of God, p175 “In fact, this narrow interpretation [young earth creationism] is largely a creation of the last hundred years, arising in large consequence as a reaction to Darwinian evolution”

Karen Armstrong THE Bible p210 ” When fundamentalist movements are attacked they usually become more extreme. Before Dayton, the conservatives were wary of evolution, but very few had espoused ‘creation science’, which maintained that the first chapter of Genesis was factually true in every detail. After Scopes, however, they became more vehemently literal in their interpretation of scripture, and creation science became the flagship of their movement.”

I think what jajay is trying to communicate here is how highly unreasonable and reactionary Christian fundamentalists become when they know their mythology has suffered massive failures in explaining the natural world. :grin:
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#913  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:

By whom?

So you cite two people saying something other than what you claimed to support your position? Neither mentions atheism.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#914  Postby Jayjay4547 » Nov 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Onyx8 wrote:
So you cite two people saying something other than what you claimed to support your position? Neither mentions atheism.

Yes you are quite right. I withdraw the statement and replace it with:

It is often said that the promulgation of evolution created Christian fundamentalism, specifically in the USA.
Jayjay4547

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#915  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:

It is often said that the promulgation of evolution created Christian fundamentalism, specifically in the USA.

So we should value faith over facts?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#916  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:

:shock:

JJ actually retracted something... and didn't just replace it with some other smug iteration.... fuck me, some of our complaints must finally be penetrating. :think:

Of course, there's still somewhat of a problem of weasel words.

It is often said by whom?

Is the frequency with which it is said indicative that this should be considered a standard notion, or does it represent just a minority opinion frequently espoused?

Was evolution actually a primary motivator, or was it part of a wider conflict between modern society and traditional beliefs?

I'd say the evidence strongly supports the latter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamenta ... ontroversy

Finally, one must remember that capitalized nouns are names - in this case a group, but 'fundamentalist' is also an adjective. If 'Fundamentalist' only possesses meaning in relation to another school of theology, it does not mean that fundamentalist ideas were not existent prior to the point of conflict.

In fact, one could easily and safely argue that the essence of what was eventually termed 'Fundamentalism' was the consensus position of Christianity of various stripes throughout the ages. Fundamentalism only really means 'those who refused to accept that the changes in society and knowledge reflected a serious challenge to their scripture based world-view.' because that's what the noun means, but it doesn't mean that fundamentalism, as a characteristic of religious belief, began then.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#917  Postby Anontheist » Nov 06, 2014 1:17 am

Jayjay4547 wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:

Christian fundamentalism - i.e. an interpretation of the text of the bible as both literal and infallible - was not a reaction to the development of evolutionary theory, it was a reaction to 18th century Christian liberalism, which increasingly viewed much of the Old Testament as allegorical, as well as 17th-19th century empiricism and rationalism.

Creationism is a sub-set of Christian fundamentalism. It is reactionary to the development of theories of geology, cosmology and biology, as well as our knowledge of history via archaeology, that explicitly contradict various accounts in the Old and New Testaments.

Trying to boil down Christian fundamentalism as being spawned by evolution alone is akin to arguing the invention of the pneumatic tyre was solely responsible for the development of the automobile. Yes, it was a part of the picture, but a lot of other things happened around the same time to make it possible.

I think you need to widen your perspective JayJay.
Anontheist

Name: Simon

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#918  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 06, 2014 2:59 am

Anontheist wrote:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:

Christian fundamentalism - i.e. an interpretation of the text of the bible as both literal and infallible - was not a reaction to the development of evolutionary theory, it was a reaction to 18th century Christian liberalism, which increasingly viewed much of the Old Testament as allegorical, as well as 17th-19th century empiricism and rationalism.

Indeed, if you look at the original 12-volume arrangement of The Fundamentals, most of the essays contained therein concentrated upon theology. The essays were later rearranged into a 4 volume set, and all 4 volumes can be downloaded from these links:

Volume 1

Volume 2

volume 3

Volume 4

Much of the content is devoted to opposing scholarly literary critiques of the mythology in question, and the outright rejection of such widely accepted scholarly theses as the Documentary Hypothesis, along with opposition to Roman Catholicism and Mormonism, along with affirmations of various doctrinal positions with respect to such matters as the supposed "historicity" or "factual nature" of the mythology. Evolution is actually the principal subject of just two out of the 90 essays. It's basically nothing more than a gigantic, verbose and tedious exercise in claiming "my mythology says so, therefore it's true", laced with the usual assertionist apologetics.

What wound up the original turn of the 20th century authors of these essays, far more than evolution, was the Documentary Hypothesis, which they regarded with a truly visceral hatred. The venom unleashed upon this topic drips off the pages of numerous essays in the collection.

Anontheist wrote:Creationism is a sub-set of Christian fundamentalism.

Well to be honest here, I haven't encountered any fundamentalists who are not violently opposed to evolutionary biology.

Anontheist wrote: It is reactionary to the development of theories of geology, cosmology and biology, as well as our knowledge of history via archaeology, that explicitly contradict various accounts in the Old and New Testaments.

In short, Christian fundamentalism consists of "if reality and doctrine differ, reality is wrong and doctrine is right".

Anontheist wrote:Trying to boil down Christian fundamentalism as being spawned by evolution alone is akin to arguing the invention of the pneumatic tyre was solely responsible for the development of the automobile. Yes, it was a part of the picture, but a lot of other things happened around the same time to make it possible.

What you have to remember here, is that JayJay has a long history of peddling evidence-free assertions as purportedly constituting fact, and continuing to do so even when vast mountains of contradictory, refutatory evidence are dumped in his lap. His historical revisionism is but one aspect of this, though recently a relatively significant one. His main obssesion consists of trying to peddle the bare faced lie, that scientists paying attention to empirical data are purportedly in the business of promoting a fictitious and non-existent "atheist ideology", whenever said empirical data sticks the middle finger to his fantasies. This particular manifest fabrication he's been peddling here relentlessly for over two years, despite the fact that he's been repeatedly schooled on the numerous reasons why his fabrication is a fabrication. Furthermore, he's erected numerous instances of wholly duplicitous apologetic shell games, to try and prop up this fabrication in the face of the vast mountains of contrary evidence. Frankly, his monotonous droning on this subject has become boring in the extreme, and we only bother addressing said monotonous droning, for the proper discoursive purpose of ensuring that manifest fabrications and outright lies do not pass unchallenged.

Anontheist wrote:I think you need to widen your perspective JayJay.

Actually, what he needs to do is jettison his own real ideology, and start looking at factual data without the requisite blinkers. Not least because his posts provide ample testimony to the manner in which his ideological adherence manifests itself in the same manner as that of other creationists, by establishing that his position consist, once again, of "if reality and doctrine differ, reality is wrong and doctrine is right".

Fortunately, you've arrived here after the Robert Byers outpourings, which also fall into the same category, though in the case of his utterances, the combination of manifest functional illiteracy leaping off the screen when his posts are viewed, along with some of this more fantastic assertions (one of the reasons that polar bears are such a favourite joke around here), mean that far from being an advertisement for his brand of creationism, his posts are more likely to be viewed as pure comedy gold. JayJay's posts, on the other hand, are usually far less entertaining, far more tedious both from the standpoint of circumlocution and the slippery treatment of both fact and other posters' replies, and bear a particularly noxious stench of mendacity into the bargain. The one episode that was genuinely amusing, back in the days of the now-defunct Richard Dawkins Forums, was his hilarious attempt to pass off an aquarium ornament as a real sabre tooth skull, but sadly, such humorous moments are now absent from his posts, and all we see now is relentless ideological stormtrooping for his fantasies, which I assure you becomes boring extremely rapidly.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#919  Postby _2501_ » Nov 06, 2014 4:15 am

Calilasseia wrote:
What you have to remember here, is that JayJay has a long history of peddling evidence-free assertions as purportedly constituting fact, and continuing to do so even when vast mountains of contradictory, refutatory evidence are dumped in his lap. His historical revisionism is but one aspect of this, though recently a relatively significant one. His main obssesion consists of trying to peddle the bare faced lie, that scientists paying attention to empirical data are purportedly in the business of promoting a fictitious and non-existent "atheist ideology", whenever said empirical data sticks the middle finger to his fantasies. This particular manifest fabrication he's been peddling here relentlessly for over two years, despite the fact that he's been repeatedly schooled on the numerous reasons why his fabrication is a fabrication. Furthermore, he's erected numerous instances of wholly duplicitous apologetic shell games, to try and prop up this fabrication in the face of the vast mountains of contrary evidence. Frankly, his monotonous droning on this subject has become boring in the extreme, and we only bother addressing said monotonous droning, for the proper discoursive purpose of ensuring that manifest fabrications and outright lies do not pass unchallenged.

I admire the fighting spirit of this post, particularly the last sentence. One has to wonder though, is why JayJay continues to persist in his ignorance in the first place? And for two full years??? Regardless, I think the rest of you all have this thread well under control, and I'm not sure if there is much I can contribute to this thread.

Most of JayJay's posts are indeed boring, and I usually lose interest after the first sentence. I would hope that, after 46 pages of being debunked, JayJay will finally come to his senses. But that may just be wishful thinking. I will, however, comment on this nugget from JayJay right here:

[
Jayjay4547 wrote:
My own Christian belief is based on an intuition that I am embedded part way up a natural hierarchy, and am only able to do science on what is below this human condition. What I can see of this scheme appears to me to be great and beautiful and wise. I take the word “God” to point towards the upper pole of this hierarchy. I understand religions to be aimed at depicting this upper part of our condition though ceremony, art, music, myth, architecture and so on. I find a great deal of agreement with what matters in other religions. I find the Christian faith most accessible for me.

On the other hand I find atheism unattractive; it is put to me in unappealing language by hostile people.

So, if I understand you correctly, JayJay, the reason that you believe in Christianity is because you think it makes you innately superior and special by doing so, and not because the belief is based on physical evidence? I would hope that you will have the good sense to learn some humility. The truth is, quite frankly, you aren't really all that special. That you consider anything that questions your beliefs as "hostility" only reveals the fact that you are quite insecure and lack confidence in the ability of your ideology to stand on its own. The key difference between science and religion is that the only thing science needs to be valid is evidence, and can stand on its own based on that. This is the thing that you don't seem to understand when the subject of evolution is discussed.
_2501_

United States (us)
Print view this post

#920  Postby Fenrir » Nov 06, 2014 4:53 am

Two years? Not by a long shot.

You'd be stunned to know how long jayjay has been insanely repeating this drivel.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism