Solar Eclipses

Product of chance or design?

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Solar Eclipses

#1  Postby Wortfish » Jul 02, 2020 4:34 pm

We all know the the law of gravity explains why celestial bodies orbit each other by the power of attraction between masses.

However, there is no physical law that fixes them in any kind of positional distance from each other.

A solar eclipse is made possible by the fact that the Sun is 400 times the distance the moon is to the Earth and that it is also 400 times larger in diameter: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/total-solar-eclipse/en/

The solar eclipse is also not very regular - and so a special treat - because the moon's orbital plane is slightly misaligned from Earth's orbital plane around the sun: https://www.livescience.com/60037-do-ot ... ipses.html

Is this all just a happy coincidence that this astonishing phenomenon occurs only on Earth, the only planet know to contain intelligent life that can observe it? Or is it just further evidence for design in the universe?

You decide.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Solar Eclipses

#2  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 02, 2020 4:47 pm

Kepler kicks your ass, doesn't he?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Jul 02, 2020 4:47 pm

Well the Sun used to be smaller in the sky when the Earth was further away so I'd presume the Moon back then more than covered it and in the future it won't be enough.

So the only coincidence here really is us being here at this time when the two are more or less the same size in the sky.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » Jul 02, 2020 4:47 pm

The Earth's primary moon is receding at about 38 mm/year so it won't be long before all its Solar eclipses seen from Earth are annular like the last one was. This assumes, of course, that nothing emerges from the future dynamical chaos to displace either or both from current orbital projections.

Evidence for design? My arse!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Jul 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Wortfish wrote:Is this all just a happy coincidence that this astonishing phenomenon occurs only on Earth

Multiple eclipses on Jupiter at once.
https://www.space.com/6705-moon-shadows-jupiter.html
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby newolder » Jul 02, 2020 4:58 pm

^ Also, the tiny moons of Mars produce annular Solar eclipses on the planet below, e.g.

"only on Earth", my arse.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Wortfish wrote:

Is this all just a happy coincidence that this astonishing phenomenon occurs only on Earth, the only planet know to contain intelligent life that can observe it? Or is it just further evidence for design in the universe?

You decide.

The plane of the moon's orbit is inclined to the plane of earth's rotation by approximately 5.1°. Is this a special number or not? Is it exactly 5.1°? Why or why not? Why is the pole of earth's rotation inclined 23 and a fraction degrees to the plane of the ecliptic? What if the rotation axis were inclined parallel to the ecliptic? Would the climate be funkier? Anyway, this is why we don't have lunar and solar eclipses every month, like clockwork, like design.

What are all these numbers? Can they be the product of design, unless you crave to stuff some design in there? Why is is called the "ecliptic"? Do you see something in there that reminds you of "eclipse"? You decide, but prepare to be laughed off stage. Then you'll disappear for a few weeks to lick your wounds, but you'll be back, with yet further inane questions, having forgotten that you can't demonstrate any clever ability to troll a skeptic website. It's either that, or you're hiding your light under a bushel.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Fallible » Jul 02, 2020 5:34 pm

Wortfish wrote:We all know the the law of gravity explains why celestial bodies orbit each other by the power of attraction between masses.

However, there is no physical law that fixes them in any kind of positional distance from each other.

A solar eclipse is made possible by the fact that the Sun is 400 times the distance the moon is to the Earth and that it is also 400 times larger in diameter: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/total-solar-eclipse/en/

The solar eclipse is also not very regular - and so a special treat - because the moon's orbital plane is slightly misaligned from Earth's orbital plane around the sun: https://www.livescience.com/60037-do-ot ... ipses.html

You decide.

Just further evidence lol
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Jul 02, 2020 5:47 pm

What you have to remember is it's designed to look exactly as if it weren't designed. If it was designed to look like it was designed then there'd be no point in "faith", which, as Mark Twain opined, is believing what you know ain't so.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 02, 2020 6:00 pm

Do we need more evidence that the OP is a troll?

The alternative is very sad.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby felltoearth » Jul 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Wortfish wrote:We all know the the law of gravity explains why celestial bodies orbit each other by the power of attraction between masses.

You decide.

Cool, so can you explain the perfection of phenomenon of solar eclipses in the context of the biblical model of the earth centred universe and its mechanism? I'll wait.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Hermit » Jul 02, 2020 7:58 pm

Ray "Bananas" Comfort II strikes again.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Blackadder » Jul 02, 2020 8:58 pm

Fucking eclipses. You can’t explain that.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Jul 02, 2020 9:30 pm

Tides, eclipses, and bananas.

All that's left to say is "Checkmate, atheists!"
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Hermit » Jul 02, 2020 10:45 pm

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby campermon » Jul 03, 2020 7:56 am

Wortfish wrote: Or is it just further evidence for design in the universe?

Yes. Because we're special.

You're very special.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby BlackBart » Jul 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Big giant in the sky wuvs us vewwy vewwy muuch - he put big rock in sky in front of big light in sky so we go woooooooooooooooo
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Alan B » Jul 03, 2020 1:58 pm

If you watch the shadows of the moons of Jupiter cross its surface (as I have), it will be obvious that anyone in that shadow will experience a Solar eclipse. I'm not sure which god arranged that... :shifty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Svartalf » Jul 03, 2020 2:56 pm

Well, it's Jupiter, so it obviously was Zeus...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Alan B » Jul 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Of course. Silly me.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Creationism