"Theistic Evolution" is now "Evolutionary Creationism"

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

"Theistic Evolution" is now "Evolutionary Creationism"

#1  Postby Shrunk » Jun 25, 2010 6:02 pm

...according to this, anyway (see point 9.)

Seems an apt change to me.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: "Theistic Evolution" is now "Evolutionary Creationism"

#2  Postby dionysus » Jun 25, 2010 9:20 pm

I like this part:
Young earth creationists and “the new atheists” (Dawkins, Hitchens, etc.) actually have more in common than one might think, for both groups have arrived at the conclusion that accepting an old earth and evolutionary theory inevitably rules out the existence of God. As a result, one group has essentially made a religion out of naturalism, while the other group has avoided serious consideration of scientific data.

Right, we have sooooo much in common with creationists. That's why we disagree with them on just about everything from methodology to their propensity to lie and not use sources to them absolutely ignoring observed reality. Oh, and the god thing too. And it's funny that they say we've made a religion of naturalism and then go on to praise science which, last I heard, is founded on methodological naturalism.
dionysus

Name: Lukasz
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Jun 25, 2010 9:34 pm

dionysus wrote:I like this part:
Young earth creationists and “the new atheists” (Dawkins, Hitchens, etc.) actually have more in common than one might think, for both groups have arrived at the conclusion that accepting an old earth and evolutionary theory inevitably rules out the existence of God. As a result, one group has essentially made a religion out of naturalism, while the other group has avoided serious consideration of scientific data.

Right, we have sooooo much in common with creationists. That's why we disagree with them on just about everything from methodology to their propensity to lie and not use sources to them absolutely ignoring observed reality. Oh, and the god thing too. And it's funny that they say we've made a religion of naturalism and then go on to praise science which, last I heard, is founded on methodological naturalism.

And of course she gets it wrong: Science doesn't "rule out" the existence of God. It just has no use for the concept. The evolutionary creationists have, to my knowledge, yet to explain exactly what science gains by having theology grafted onto it.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby hotshoe » Jun 25, 2010 9:51 pm

I'm happy for the BioLogos type of lukewarm christian, though, because at least they are not getting involved in the crazy "teach creationism in schools" which is prevalent among devout christians, muslims, etc.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby debunk » Jun 25, 2010 10:02 pm

hotshoe wrote:I'm happy for the BioLogos type of lukewarm christian, though, because at least they are not getting involved in the crazy "teach creationism in schools" which is prevalent among devout christians, muslims, etc.

I don't know, this sort of nonsense isn't exactly helping.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
debunk

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby hotshoe » Jun 25, 2010 10:42 pm

debunk wrote:
hotshoe wrote:I'm happy for the BioLogos type of lukewarm christian, though, because at least they are not getting involved in the crazy "teach creationism in schools" which is prevalent among devout christians, muslims, etc.

:nono:
Point taken.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby chairman bill » Jun 25, 2010 11:09 pm

The man who sits quietly & unobtrusively in a shop doorway, muttering to himself about how the government is out to get him, is no less mad than the one who shouts at pigeons at the bus station
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby argumentativealex » Jun 26, 2010 8:44 am

Rachel Held Evans is a self-described "writer, skeptic, and Christ-follower"

:scratch:
idofcourse - "That God created the universe is so obvious the Bible doesn’t even bother with a proof."
answersingenesis "This article is available in an attractive booklet to share with anyone who is not willing to read a book"
argumentativealex

Print view this post

#9  Postby Shrunk » Jun 26, 2010 12:07 pm

debunk wrote:

It helps inadvertently, by showing that while science has something to offer religion (by helping it determine what aspects of its scriptures are clearly ahistorical), the relationship is not reciprocal. Trying to modify science to accommodate religion only produces absurdities.

I think BioLogos' true target is neither atheism nor creationism, but Stephen Jay Gould and his idea of non-overlapping magisteria.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby MrFungus420 » Jun 26, 2010 1:23 pm

chairman bill wrote:The man who sits quietly & unobtrusively in a shop doorway, muttering to himself about how the government is out to get him, is no less mad than the one who shouts at pigeons at the bus station

But the government is out to get me...
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#11  Postby Ubjon » Jun 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Shrunk wrote:
dionysus wrote:I like this part:

And of course she gets it wrong: Science doesn't "rule out" the existence of God. It just has no use for the concept. The evolutionary creationists have, to my knowledge, yet to explain exactly what science gains by having theology grafted onto it.

Science doesn't need to rule out the existance of God because there has been no scientific theory of God thats withstood sufficient scrutiny to be accepted as valid. Gods existance is a blind assertion.
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Alan C » Jun 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Rachel Held Evans is a self-described "writer, skeptic, and Christ-follower"

:picard:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Ubjon » Jun 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Shrunk wrote:...according to this, anyway (see point 9.)

Seems an apt change to me.

This shit makes me want to puke. Especially this part

5. Science professors (particularly at Christian colleges) are desperate to find good ways to counsel students whose faith is challenged by the scientific data they encounter in the classroom. I was really moved by conversations I had with tenderhearted biology teachers struggling to double as theologians and counselors when their students realize there is conflict between what they were taught about creation/evolution growing up in the Church and what the evidence suggests.

Council them? Perhaps they shouldn't have filled their head with complete nonsense in the first place.
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby David M » Jun 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Shrunk wrote:And of course she gets it wrong: Science doesn't "rule out" the existence of God. It just has no use for the concept. The evolutionary creationists have, to my knowledge, yet to explain exactly what science gains by having theology grafted onto it.

Absolutely, Abiogenesis and evolution could both have occured via purely natural processes without any supernatural intervention and a deity could still exist. Science make no pronouncement on the existence of supernatural causes only on the requirement for supernatural intervention in the field they describe, in both cases no such intervention has been found to be needed.

But she hasn't really got it wrong, her claim is that "Young earth creationists and “the new atheists” (Dawkins, Hitchens, etc.) actually have more in common than one might think, for both groups have arrived at the conclusion that accepting an old earth and evolutionary theory inevitably rules out the existence of God."

That claim is correct other than the word "inevitably" which I would say is too strong, YEC's and Atheists both take the position that accepting those things allows the the existence of God to be ruled out (but other things are needed as well for Atheists which is why I would argue against "inevitably"). But that is different from saying that science itself rules out the existence of God.
David M

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Shrunk » Jun 27, 2010 4:47 pm

David M wrote: But she hasn't really got it wrong, her claim is that "Young earth creationists and “the new atheists” (Dawkins, Hitchens, etc.) actually have more in common than one might think, for both groups have arrived at the conclusion that accepting an old earth and evolutionary theory inevitably rules out the existence of God."

That claim is correct other than the word "inevitably" which I would say is too strong, YEC's and Atheists both take the position that accepting those things allows the the existence of God to be ruled out (but other things are needed as well for Atheists which is why I would argue against "inevitably"). But that is different from saying that science itself rules out the existence of God.

OTOH, YEC's and "evolutionary creationists" share a belief in the inerrancy of the Bible. The latter just maintain that, if the Bible seems to be contradicted by science, it just means that the Bible doesn't really say what it seems to. I actually find the YEC position more logically consistent and intellectually honest.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby petwo » Jun 27, 2010 5:37 pm

Science professors (particularly at Christian colleges) are desperate to find good ways to counsel students whose faith is challenged by the scientific data they encounter in the classroom.

I see hope for the students in the above statement but for the professors, hope is dwindling fast if not gone already.
I swear I'm an atheist not because I don't believe in God but because I don't believe the people who do.
petwo

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby David M » Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Shrunk wrote:
David M wrote: But she hasn't really got it wrong, her claim is that "Young earth creationists and “the new atheists” (Dawkins, Hitchens, etc.) actually have more in common than one might think, for both groups have arrived at the conclusion that accepting an old earth and evolutionary theory inevitably rules out the existence of God."

OTOH, YEC's and "evolutionary creationists" share a belief in the inerrancy of the Bible. The latter just maintain that, if the Bible seems to be contradicted by science, it just means that the Bible doesn't really say what it seems to. I actually find the YEC position more logically consistent and intellectually honest.

I would disagree, the YEC position can only be maintained by denying reality and ascribing to literal inerrancy whereas the "evolutionary creationists" postion is based on an inerrancy when it comes to the message in the bible and allows for the knowledge of the authors and the difficulties in translating ancient languages while retaining original concepts. I'd say that makes the YEC position less intellectually honest as literal innerancy does not stand up to any scrutiny due to the internal contradictions in the bible on matters that do not touch on science in any way whatsoever.
David M

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Shrunk » Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

David M wrote: I would disagree, the YEC position can only be maintained by denying reality and ascribing to literal inerrancy whereas the "evolutionary creationists" postion is based on an inerrancy when it comes to the message in the bible and allows for the knowledge of the authors and the difficulties in translating ancient languages while retaining original concepts.

Their position still seems to depend on an acceptance of ludicrous ideas such as "original sin" and on the historical accuracy of events like the resurrection of Jesus

I'd say that makes the YEC position less intellectually honest as literal innerancy does not stand up to any scrutiny due to the internal contradictions in the bible on matters that do not touch on science in any way whatsoever.

I would say that cuts against both groups to an equal extent. The evolutionary creationists still depend on a Bible that is thematically coherent and non-contradictory. A Bible that doesn't exist, IOW.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Bud's Brain » Jun 28, 2010 6:42 pm

What follows is a re-post of that blog, originally written for folks who don’t know as much about BioLogos as the average reader here probably does.

Never trust any material that contains the word 'folks'.
So many Christians, so few lions.
Bud's Brain

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Creationism