ozone depletion

Geology, Geophysics, Oceanography, Meteorology etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

ozone depletion

#1  Postby Tzelemel » Jul 25, 2011 7:24 pm

I've nearly finished debating with your stereotypical American Republican on another forum, but he said something that really confused the living Heck out of me. He was denying anthropogenic climate change (that is, I hope, climate change caused by human beings). I listed a few things which were averted because scientists raised the issue and one of them was ozone layer.

Thing is, he then stated this:

My real problem with MMGW is that it gives me massive flashbacks to Ozone depletion, where we saw Ozone disappearing, had a model explaining how CFCs were causing the changes, it developed into a massive anti-CFC fad with lots of propaganda...and it all turned out to be dead wrong.

For those of you who don't remember, the theory was that CFC gasses would rise to the ionosphere, be hit by a UV ray to release a Chlorine radical, and then the Chlorine radical would begin to consume Ozone molecules in an infinite chain, thus depleting the Ozone layer. Makes perfect sense, right?

Well, no. The model ignored that Ozone has a natural half-life (it's longer in the ionosphere, but it's about 15 minutes at STP) ergo this isn't that Ozone is being destroyed so much as not being created. It also ignored how CFCs are much heavier than air--heck, the Chlorine radicals alone are much heavier than air--and so would tend to settle out and be absorbed in the troposphere. Furthermore, it ignored how the big Ozone hole was over Antarctica, where there was practically no industrial activity to link it to. We knew better, and yet we ignored the facts.

Really? I don't remember anyone ever saying that CFCs were not responsible for ozone depletion and certainly can't find anything to support him. Is he talking bull or am I just looking in the wrong places?
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: ozone depletion

#2  Postby Weaver » Jul 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Rome Existed » Jul 27, 2011 12:30 am

He's a Republican discussing science so he's automatically wrong.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 27, 2011 6:04 am

I've heard the same line. It is actually used as 'evidence' that AGW is a hoax. Sigh.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Tzelemel » Jul 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks, guys, and now that I've researched how hot air balloons work and noted down the density of the lightest CFC, I can disprove his comment about CFCs being heavier than air.

EDIT: Actually, never mind. I didn't notice that the two articles were using two different units. it would seem that the lightest CFC I could find actually is denser than air. How am I going to counter his argument about CFC not being able to get high enough?
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Jakov » Jul 27, 2011 10:46 pm

You don't see all the oxygen in the air settling at the bottom just because it's heavier than nitrogen. The sun provides energy to make wind which stirs everything up.
Yes it's probably true there are less CFC molecules all the way up there, but there are still many and it's enough to destroy ozone.

If CFCs are so harmless, ask him why one of the strongest campaigners for their banishment was Margret Thatcher (A trained scientist, despite all her other faults.)

To be honest, density is a very simple concept and I'd be very surprised if all the scientists missed this line of reasoning before they went to national governments.
Jakov

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Jul 28, 2011 4:46 am

Jakov wrote:You don't see all the oxygen in the air settling at the bottom just because it's heavier than nitrogen. The sun provides energy to make wind which stirs everything up.
Yes it's probably true there are less CFC molecules all the way up there, but there are still many and it's enough to destroy ozone.

If CFCs are so harmless, ask him why one of the strongest campaigners for their banishment was Margret Thatcher (A trained scientist, despite all her other faults.)

To be honest, density is a very simple concept and I'd be very surprised if all the scientists missed this line of reasoning before they went to national governments.

One might also examine the amount of CFCs that were produced before and after the Montreal Protocol that banned their use circa 1990. I'm sure there's been a precipitous drop. Meanwhile, the Antarctic ozone hole, burned there by CFCs, is recovering and gradually lessening in extent. Its been reported that it'll be fully healed in 25 years.

The fellow who claims that CFCs have nothing to do with ozone is a blathering idiot of the first order. :dance:

Now, high levels of ozone in the lower atmosphere are causing concern in urban areas, where its production by coal-fired power plants is pushing the concentration up and causing lots of health problems. In the US, the EPA is set to announce new regulations that will reduce the concentrations, from their presently permissable level of 87ppm to somewhere below 70ppm. The fossil fuel industry is fighting the change tooth and nail, of course. The WHO says the standard should be 50ppm.
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Tzelemel » Jul 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Jakov wrote:You don't see all the oxygen in the air settling at the bottom just because it's heavier than nitrogen. The sun provides energy to make wind which stirs everything up.

He would probably say that CFCs are heavier than any of the components of air. But I think that what you say about the sun sounds true. I'd better research it further to make sure I don't make a fool of myself, though.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby trubble76 » Jul 28, 2011 7:04 pm

It might be entertaining too ask him who is supposed to have perpetrated this "ozone hoax", how they got that much power, and what they earned for their troubles. I bet it's a stupid answer. :conspiracy:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Jakov » Jul 28, 2011 9:52 pm

Tzelemel wrote:

He would probably say that CFCs are heavier than any of the components of air.

I don't understand this line of reasoning. So what? Yes they are heavier but it doesn't mean there wouldn't be any of them in the upper atmosphere.
Jakov

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Weaver » Jul 29, 2011 12:35 am

Ask him if we suffocate from all the heavier-than-air chlorine in the atmosphere too.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Pulsar » Jul 29, 2011 12:56 am

Frigging floating frogs :levi:

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Jul 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Tzelemel wrote:

He would probably say that CFCs are heavier than any of the components of air. But I think that what you say about the sun sounds true. I'd better research it further to make sure I don't make a fool of myself, though.

It's a well known fact that the gasses that comprise the atmsophere are thoroughly mixed.

It's also a well known fact that energy from the sun heats the atmosphere which causes winds to blow and air currents like the Jet Stream to flow. The wind blows because of pressure gradients that exist in the atmosphere, those "highs" and "lows" your weather man talks about. These pressure gradients are in constant flux and thus the wind blows almost everywhere almost all the time, even if mildly in some areas while raging in others.

What do you think a "storm" is?

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 29, 2011 7:16 pm

Tzelemel wrote:
Really? I don't remember anyone ever saying that CFCs were not responsible for ozone depletion and certainly can't find anything to support him. Is he talking bull or am I just looking in the wrong places?

He's making it up.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Tzelemel » Jul 30, 2011 10:13 am

My problem is that I don't understand enough about gases and how they mix to even remotely counteract his bullshit. And that's the problem with him specifically. He says things that have a vague plausibility to them and cannot be easily refuted by just posting a link to an article. You need to really understand the science and construct an argument from scratch.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Weaver » Jul 30, 2011 10:30 am

That is exactly how I became fluent in the reality of climate science - I had to learn the real science to counteract the BS claims of denialists.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » Jul 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Tzelemel wrote:My problem is that I don't understand enough about gases and how they mix to even remotely counteract his bullshit. And that's the problem with him specifically. He says things that have a vague plausibility to them and cannot be easily refuted by just posting a link to an article. You need to really understand the science and construct an argument from scratch.

However, there are websites where good scientific answers to many denier claims are provided. Google is your friend on this, if you do enough searching you'll find these websites easily enough. I'd also suggest a visit to http://www.realclimate.org where there's lots of information that bears on the whole AGW issue and its mulititudinous questions.

There's also a number of good books on the topic that lay persons can grasp easily enough.

Course, you can always ask here too.

FACT-MAN-2

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Tzelemel » Jul 31, 2011 2:30 pm

Ah, I just made an idiot of myself out of him. I misread his damned statement. He was talking about ozone half-life. And now he's getting into chemical reactions.

The logical counter-argument is 1) at ionosphere pressure Ozone has a very long half-life and 2) Chlorine radicals will affect the chemical equilibrium as a catalyst for the decay process.

To which I will reply, 1) Ozone is produced by the same ultraviolet light it protects us from, ergo, while a slight change in solar light would have a huge affect on the Ozone layer, it would take a very large quantity of Chlorine radicals to have a measurable effect, and 2) this is all theoretical until we see Chlorine radicals in the upper stratosphere. That's very unlikely considering the Chlorine radical alone is heavier than atmospheric diatomic Nitrogen or Oxygen, let alone the CFC molecule as a whole. Circulation which could raise such heavy molecules ends with the troposphere. (Note: The EPA page claims to have measured Chlorine in the Stratosphere, but also fails to provide a citation.)

That said, the most damning evidence that the model of Ozone depletion is wrong is that it said Chlorine radicals would lead to infinite chain reactions, and regardless of the cause the Ozone layer is now no longer a concern in the public eye. Crediting the Montreal Protocol as the EPA article does for any change in Ozone levels without having a satisfactory mechanism explaining the effect is post hoc ergo propter hoc. It also doesn't help that hyping the environment is the EPA's job and they don't cite any external references.

By definition, convection only happens in the troposphere; the stratosphere is defined by intense stratification of gas layers. There's even an inversion layer between the troposphere and stratosphere, and barring the action of thunderheads pushing that inversion layer up to form an anvil there is little mixing between the two layers. I'm not saying a comparable gas molecule like CO2 CAN'T get beyond the troposphere, but considering the stratosphere has so many more powerful greenhouse gasses in the stratosphere, like Ozone (which forms there naturally) or Methane (which rises there because it's lighter than air)....It'll take a lot of convincing me that the culprit of a change is CO2.

Well, I'm going to have to do some more research. See you guys, later.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby susu.exp » Jul 31, 2011 10:38 pm

A few notes:
The stratosphere is indeed a zone where you don´t have turbulent flow, because unlike the troposphere you have the hotter part at the top, which means there´s no convection. On the other hand it is part of the homosphere, the part of the atmosphere where no unmixing of the atmospheric gas due to density differences occurs. You can compare the troposphere to a cup of coffee you stir some sugar in and the stratosphere to a cup of coffe you don´t stir: It still mixes, but at a lowered rate. The mechanism you don´t have is circulation, what you still have is diffusion.

He´s also contradicting himself. He both states that "it would take a very large quantity of Chlorine radicals to have a measurable effect" and that "Chlorine radicals would lead to infinite chain reactions". Now, scrathc the infinite, what they do is act as catalysts, moving the equilibrium between O2 and O3. That´s a non-linear relationship: You double the catalyst, you don´t double the effect. That´s why you don´t need a lot of Chlorine radicals to have a measurable effect. On the other hand UV light has an almost linear effect on the reaction: Double the intensity and you pretty much double the reactions.

Finally: The issue isn´t what gasses are responsible for the climate on earth, but what are responsible for climate change. Sure enough the startosphere has a lot of powerful greenhouse gases. But it´s not as if the concentration of stratospheric greenhose gases has been increasing a lot recently (quite the opposite: Ozone was depleted after all).
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

#20  Postby Tzelemel » Aug 01, 2011 6:33 pm

susu.exp wrote:A few notes:
The stratosphere is indeed a zone where you don´t have turbulent flow, because unlike the troposphere you have the hotter part at the top, which means there´s no convection. On the other hand it is part of the homosphere, the part of the atmosphere where no unmixing of the atmospheric gas due to density differences occurs. You can compare the troposphere to a cup of coffee you stir some sugar in and the stratosphere to a cup of coffe you don´t stir: It still mixes, but at a lowered rate. The mechanism you don´t have is circulation, what you still have is diffusion.

He´s also contradicting himself. He both states that "it would take a very large quantity of Chlorine radicals to have a measurable effect" and that "Chlorine radicals would lead to infinite chain reactions". Now, scrathc the infinite, what they do is act as catalysts, moving the equilibrium between O2 and O3. That´s a non-linear relationship: You double the catalyst, you don´t double the effect. That´s why you don´t need a lot of Chlorine radicals to have a measurable effect. On the other hand UV light has an almost linear effect on the reaction: Double the intensity and you pretty much double the reactions.

Finally: The issue isn´t what gasses are responsible for the climate on earth, but what are responsible for climate change. Sure enough the startosphere has a lot of powerful greenhouse gases. But it´s not as if the concentration of stratospheric greenhose gases has been increasing a lot recently (quite the opposite: Ozone was depleted after all).

Oh, I see. From your post I can see exactly how you tackled his response and what you had to research. Thank you very much for your help, susu. I'd better look into this and see if I can get some references to back these statements up. (If you don't mind, I'd like to do that on my own).

Quite frankly, I need to really sit back and look at my outlook on life. My mental processes have been a wreck as of late.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Earth Sciences